Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2674975

Subject: "drowning distain of the present in romanticing of the past." Previous topic | Next topic
david bammer
Member since Jun 20th 2010
4467 posts
Sun Mar-18-12 06:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"drowning distain of the present in romanticing of the past."
Sun Mar-18-12 07:08 PM by david bammer

just out of curiosity.
let's say hypothetically starting tomorrow you could not listen to any music that was not presently recorded and released in the present year for the rest of your life...

how would you fair?

would that be no big deal for you?

i get the impression that most people here, most people online and most people with an affinity for music in general nowadays would find that very very hard to tolerate as they are almost all vocal about their adoration of music from the past.
...even the people who try to validate and prop up today's contemporary music because they run a music blog or they're an aspiring dj or something of that ilk.

what does that indirectly communicate about the worth of our life & times?

to use the old dame dash quote...
on your tombstone there is a year you are born and a year your die. your life is the dash.

this is our life span.
these will some day be the years we were alive on earth.
some day, maybe sooner than you think, every second of this is going to be the sum of our time here.
i think re-treating into the past and romanticizing it with and over-abundance of folklore and wide-eyed amazement is becoming stifling to our progress as a species.

i think we need to look at the grim reality of what our mainstream culture has degenerated into in contrast to previous times rather than just retreating to those times for a temporary escape from it all.
at some point whatever era is in your comfort zone and you consider "golden" be it the 1940s/50s/60s/70s/80s or even 90's.
at some point in the near future that is going to have been so long ago that nothing that happened during that period is even going to be properly remembered or cared to be remembered by the masses.
(try having a convo with a regular joe about culture from the 1920's and see how knowledgeable they are as evidence of this in action).

i'd love it if people could collectively bring their desires to the forefront of what's happening today and move in some progressive direction genuinely eclipsing things that already happened rather than willingly standing in their shadow or retreating to them as a coping mechanism.
again, what we do today is eventually going to become OUR legacy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
New music=music you haven't heard before
Mar 18th 2012
^ all of this.
Mar 19th 2012
RE: Right.
Mar 20th 2012
artistic appreciation generally involves the past
Mar 19th 2012
RE: drowning distain of the present <-- we drowning stains now?
Mar 19th 2012
lofl. i wanted to leave it alone
Mar 20th 2012
that'd be okay w/me.
Mar 19th 2012
that would suck ass.
Mar 19th 2012
that eliminates every song that i have ever loved, ever.
Mar 19th 2012

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sun Mar-18-12 07:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "New music=music you haven't heard before"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you overestimate the connection between old music and romantizing about the past. I honestly don't think most people care or in some cases even *know* whether a song they hear for the first time is new or old, they just want to hear music they dig.

Another thing I think is important is how the reissue game altered the relationship between old and new music forever. In the 70's, many albums that are now considered classics were OOP. The records that were re-issued were the big sellers-basically records that were part of the cultural milieu since they were big and a lot of people were nostalgic.

However, some time in the 80's, there was a bunch of labels that started to reissue music from the past that really wasn't particularly popular, music where nostalgia and "I love that song! Heard it all the time when I grew up" played a minimal role. Basically, it was old music that *literally* functioned as new for young and old listeners alike.

Needless to say, the current situation with blogs, youtube etc. has made this ''scene'' even stronger and made the difference between old and new even smaller since the old music being exposed doesn't have to be the classics that "everyone" has heard and where nostalgia is involved...

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "^ all of this."
In response to Reply # 1

i mean, there are teenagers right now
that have never bought music, ever.

so b/c of that, there are music heads that just downloaded
music that they liked, regardless of the era it was released in.

i don't even think that young folks
even have the same concept of "new" music vs. "old" music
that we have.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 12:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: Right."
In response to Reply # 1

A song could be older than me and still be "new" to me.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j5ilgP1Ov8

^^^^Probably my favorite song of the past year.

~Austin

Please donate.
For Anthony: http://bit.ly/xIIjaE
For Cris: http://bit.ly/whuzky

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com

http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus

http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 06:46 AM

2. "artistic appreciation generally involves the past"
In response to Reply # 0

whether explicitly or implicitly... there's nothing wrong with adoration of the past, or with that taking up much of a person's listening. It doesn't negate what's being done today... it just begins the process of putting today's work in a broader context, for better or for ill.

As is often the case with your posts on this theme, however, I really don't understand what you want. I think most folks on here are just fine with some aspect of contemporary music... there are very few staunch old-music-only advocates around. What "progressive" direction do you want people to move in? For your benefit, or for theirs?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 07:31 AM

3. "RE: drowning distain of the present <-- we drowning stains now?"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 12:13 AM

8. "lofl. i wanted to leave it alone"
In response to Reply # 3

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 07:33 AM

4. "that'd be okay w/me."
In response to Reply # 0

>just out of curiosity.
>let's say hypothetically starting tomorrow you could not
>listen to any music that was not presently recorded and
>released in the present year for the rest of your life...
>
>how would you fair?
>
>would that be no big deal for you?

i'd be fine w/that. i'd miss some old music, but in time i'd probably forget most of it. and, of course, present acts would cover and sample some old stuff, so some of it would stay w/me.

i'd definitely be fine.

fuck you.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 08:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "that would suck ass. "
In response to Reply # 0

completely.

I might be listening to 3-5 albums a year, at most.

meh. I'm not so hung up on the idea of being "up to date" if people aren't making what I want to hear. that's how I felt in the latter half of the 1990s, and it's certainly true today. it's just not that important.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 09:17 AM

6. "that eliminates every song that i have ever loved, ever."
In response to Reply # 0

i mean...
obviously i wouldn't die.

and i guess i'd find some new music to like.

but damn.
all the songs i love are old records.

and like dale said above,
i've discovered songs that are "new to me" this year,
but all of those records were originally released in an era
that is not this one.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2674975 Previous topic | Next topic