Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2671259

Subject: "Arcane Arguments: 5th Dimension or Mamas and Papas" Previous topic | Next topic
Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 01:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Arcane Arguments: 5th Dimension or Mamas and Papas"

I don't know any crate digger that doesn't own at least one 5th Dimension album,
but I feel that if people were asked to name a song by either group they would prolly come up with a Mamas and Papas song first.

So where do y'all stand on this position?

Let's take it back.

Poll result (3 votes)
The 5th Dimension (3 votes)Vote
The Mamas and the Papas (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I... can't decide. And actually I can only name a few songs by each.
Mar 08th 2012
Love the 5th Dimension - I have most of their LP's on vinyl
Mar 08th 2012
and yet I don't care for 5th's version of "California Soul"
Mar 08th 2012
: 5th Dimension got the better songs and harmony
Mar 08th 2012

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 01:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I... can't decide. And actually I can only name a few songs by each."
In response to Reply # 0

Mamas & Papas had Michelle Phillips, the baddest lady in all of '60s pop music. (I know the 5th Dimension lady has some fans here as well, so that may be disputed.) She was nasty, though, so those two things kinda blalance each other out on the non-musical side of things.

Mamas & Papas are more ingrained in my memory from home & radio (my folks had a copy of the album where they're in the bathtub), but man... we sang 'up up & away' in elementary school chorus.

Mamas & Papas also put together Monterey Pop... but their set, while better than I expected, was far from the highlight.

Long story short: I own 2 5D records, where I've only got Mamas & Papas songs on compiilations. I've put 5D songs on mixes for friends. I've nbever put a M&P song on a mix for a friend.

So... 5th Dimension by a hair. (for now)

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 02:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Love the 5th Dimension - I have most of their LP's on vinyl"
In response to Reply # 0

even got the Billy Davis/Marilyn McCoo lp "Hope we get to love in time" on vinyl too (should have gotten the 2nd Billy Davis/Marilyn McCoo lp when I saw in a store).

The Mama's and the Papa's have good hits but hearing their songs on oldies radio over and over is more than enough for me.

The 5th Dimension just were California soul: soul and pop really special way of combining that with that late 60's/early 70's touch. The Mama's and the Papa's were ok pop. Spanky and Our Gang is a 60's pop band more pleasing to me than the Mama's and the Papa's (I want to get some Spanky and Our Gang cd's/Mp3's soon).

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 02:20 PM

3. "and yet I don't care for 5th's version of "California Soul""
In response to Reply # 2

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. ": 5th Dimension got the better songs and harmony"
In response to Reply # 0

Willie Hutch was behind a few of there stuff. Mammas and Papa's were cool its just that other acts took what they did one step above.

i dig other people covering there stuff more, I can't see anyone matching what the 5th dimension did though especially in R&B.

this is like the Almond Joy Poll Huh?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2671259 Previous topic | Next topic