Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2670070

Subject: "Elvis Costello & The Roots 'Brilliant Disguise' Hit Me In My Sweet Spot" Previous topic | Next topic
Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Elvis Costello & The Roots 'Brilliant Disguise' Hit Me In My Sweet Spot"

Link to the video: http://stereogum.com/965942/watch-elvis-costello-and-the-roots-cover-springsteen-on-fallon/video/

Between DVR & online I'm well into the double-digits of playing this over the weekend plus passed it along.

Tunnel Of Love is maybe Springsteen's most underrated middle-period album, much better than Born In The USA to me because it's so steeped in the personal rather than the prior album's sweeping statements & occasionally borderline cheesy mid-eighties synths/anthemic tones.

The Tunnel of Love album still has a bit of that seemingly unavoidable mid-eighties production sheen but the songs are so much darker/introverted & the instrumentation is bordering on sparse for a big rock record of the era.

'Brilliant Disguise' I guess is the biggest hit off it but still doesn't get the kind of "big song" love from hardcore fans or the mainstream public, it charting that high was probably more a testament to being the first follow-up single to his most commercially successful period of the prior couple years.

That being said, it's a beautifully lyrical testament to a man realizing he & the woman he chose to marry don't really know each other anymore, perhaps never did or even really could.

While I kind of lose track of Elvis Costello's career a bit after the celebrated trilogy of records he started with in the 70's, messy relationship songs are the kind of material he can fully inhabit when he's on & with the help of our boys he really hits the mark here.

Everything about the arrangement is perfect: James on keys, Kirk's harmony vocals and of course 15 holding it all together on the kit.

That moment after the bridge where the band drops out & it's just Quest drumming with Elvis singing you can audibly hear at least two or three people in the audience letting out those involuntary bursts of sound that only come when the music is digging so deep into you that you're almost uncomfortable with how good it's making you feel.

I'd imagine if I was in that studio I'd be feeling similarly because even just watching the camera focused on Quest locked in over Elvis' shoulder & then giving James that glance to say 'you're coming back in on the next measure' got things a little dusty in my place last night and the maid was just here the day before.

For all my original fears of The Legendary becoming just a TV house band when the Fallon announcement first came as well as some of the more indie-rock leanings on some of the Def Jam albums like How I Got Over, these kind of moments serve as a reminder of how proud I am of these guys even though they barely resemble the group I was going to see at the Middle East or other spos in the mid-to-late-90s when their focus was much more about putting more straight-ahead hip-hop into a band setting.

I can understand their need to drift into other milieus after twenty years of playing together and I'm happy for them that they're comfortable enough in their own space to do so while still having a real career without having to tour 250 dates a year playing Drexel/Penn Spring Flings nowadays.

The version of 'Fire' with them doing that ska-bounce & Staple Singers 'I'll Take You There' horn intro/outro is cool as well, as was the slow-burner jazzy version of 'Dancing In The Dark' with John Legend.

Of all the Late Night covers during Springsteen Week, I'd say Kenny Chesney's was the least interesting. Probably partly due to the lack of participation from Illadelph's Phinest but also because I can't understand why a Cowboy Crooner like Chesney wouldn't have the balls to go for that 'woohoohoo' coda.

But props to all the principles involved especially on this one for forming a perfect marriage out of a great divorce song.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
great post all around
Mar 05th 2012
co-siggity
Mar 05th 2012
RE: great post all around
Mar 05th 2012
Some of us still read quality posts, even if long
Mar 05th 2012
cosing on all of that.
Mar 06th 2012
^
Mar 07th 2012
finally got the chance to listen to both.
Mar 06th 2012
RE: finally got the chance to listen to both.
Mar 06th 2012
great stuff
Mar 06th 2012
yeah, I'm surprised they're not floating around already but I can't find...
Mar 07th 2012
the roots are the best
Mar 07th 2012
Agreed on Tunnel of Love
Mar 07th 2012

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "great post all around"
In response to Reply # 0

I never catch the show so really appreciate hearing about special tunes on the boards to catch after the fact.

But this post is much more than that... you really give the songs and performances context on a bunch of levels. I read the whole thing, then watched the songs, then looked up the original, and got more out of it than I ever did in high school. Thanks for that.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:08 PM

2. "co-siggity"
In response to Reply # 1

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:09 PM

3. "RE: great post all around"
In response to Reply # 1

>I never catch the show so really appreciate hearing about
>special tunes on the boards to catch after the fact.
>
>But this post is much more than that... you really give the
>songs and performances context on a bunch of levels. I read
>the whole thing, then watched the songs, then looked up the
>original, and got more out of it than I ever did in high
>school. Thanks for that.

nice, thanks for the good words brotha, I was half-expecting a Colin Powell reply to this one because this turned out longer than I originally intended but glad you got something out of it. peace.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:56 PM

4. "Some of us still read quality posts, even if long"
In response to Reply # 3

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Tue Mar-06-12 04:09 AM

5. "cosing on all of that."
In response to Reply # 1

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 06:52 AM

10. "^"
In response to Reply # 1

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Tue Mar-06-12 04:54 AM

6. "finally got the chance to listen to both."
In response to Reply # 0

i listened to 'fire' first, which was a damn fine rendition - but 'brilliant disguise'?

holy shit.

what a fantastic arrangement!

the breakdown was tight and then i really dug the funk vamp from poyser after the following chorus.

brilliant, indeed.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Mar-06-12 01:23 PM

7. "RE: finally got the chance to listen to both."
In response to Reply # 6

>i listened to 'fire' first, which was a damn fine rendition -
>but 'brilliant disguise'?
>
>holy shit.
>
>what a fantastic arrangement!
>
>the breakdown was tight and then i really dug the funk vamp
>from poyser after the following chorus.
>
yup, that was sneaky good as well, James did his damn thing on this.

>brilliant, indeed.
>

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Mar-06-12 08:55 PM

8. "great stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm looking for hi-quality mp3s of those Springsteen performances.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 09:04 PM

12. "yeah, I'm surprised they're not floating around already but I can't find..."
In response to Reply # 8

>I'm looking for hi-quality mp3s of those Springsteen
>performances.
>
>
>"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which
>has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 06:14 AM

9. "the roots are the best"
In response to Reply # 0

Whatever it is its always quality and that makes them my all time favorite.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 09:12 AM

11. "Agreed on Tunnel of Love"
In response to Reply # 0

I ain't gonna front like I'm a big Springsteen fan (I dig his work but haven't really dug into it), but TOL really is a good album mainly for the reasons you outlined

Lobby The Lesson topic #2670070 Previous topic | Next topic