Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2669190

Subject: "Billboard chart stuff 3/1/12: Beyonce finally scores a #1 hit from 4" Previous topic | Next topic
come on people
Member since Dec 02nd 2007
17423 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 08:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Billboard chart stuff 3/1/12: Beyonce finally scores a #1 hit from 4"

Another in my very occasional series in The Lesson on the Billboard R&B chart.

- On the 5th try, Beyonce's album 4 finally yields an elusive #1 hit this week, as "Love on Top" completes its long march to the top of the R&B chart. After early unsolicited airplay and a surprise #20 showing on the pop chart after her MTV performance of the song, her label officially decided to promote it, and it pays off. "Top" is also the 3rd top-5 R&B hit from 4, equaling the mark set by her first 3 albums.

- Melanie Fiona's making inroads at R&B radio. "4AM" becomes her 2nd top-10 R&B hit this week. Her Grammy-winning duet with Cee-Lo only reached #13, but it's showing longevity, as it logs a 45th week on the chart.

- Mary J comes *this* close to finally notching a top-10 hit from My Life II, as "Mr. Wrong" continues its slow march up the R&B chart and parks at #11 this week. If it stalls there, this would be the first MJB studio album not to notch at least 1 top-10 R&B hit.

- The "Birthday Cake" remix rockets from #71 to #20 this week. Safe to say hip-hop radio is all over that track.

- That Monica & Brandy duet isn't making much of a buzz. It's kinda surprising that, after Monica had a comeback of sorts with her last album, R&B radio has been VERY cool to the singles from her new project. "Anything" stalled at #25 and "Until It's Gone" at #22.

Go Smack yourself and then apologize to your hand for looking stupid - Case_One

http://i54.tinypic.com/nxros2.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wonder if ppl are getting tired of those joints from MJB
Mar 01st 2012
i thought it was a REALLY bad choice for a single.
Mar 01st 2012
the girls esp young girls love it
Mar 01st 2012
it's a great radio song.
Mar 01st 2012
I have to think ppl are tired of this shit from her
Mar 01st 2012
      funny thing is, rest of the album is NOTHING like that song.
Mar 01st 2012
           I've only heard the stuff that's been posted on rap blogs
Mar 01st 2012
NIGGA
Mar 02nd 2012
MJB ain't got much buzz on this record
Mar 01st 2012
Monica's singles this time haven't been good at all
Mar 02nd 2012
That's my jam. Very good throwback song.
Mar 02nd 2012
beyonce should fall back for like 3yrs
Mar 02nd 2012
i dunno....she wanted to do an R&B album.
Mar 02nd 2012
a little sweat...neva hurt nobody....
Mar 02nd 2012
A 4 remix would be kinda crazy...
Mar 02nd 2012

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I wonder if ppl are getting tired of those joints from MJB"
In response to Reply # 0

I know it's sort of her lane, and one she helped establish, but at 20 years deep into the game, and 40+ years old, do people want more of those "Mr. Wrong" type joints from her still?

A girl I work with who's a big fan said something to that effect, that she's too old to be making those kinda songs and to leave 'em to Jazmine Sullivan, Keyshia, etc.

come on people
17423 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i thought it was a REALLY bad choice for a single."
In response to Reply # 1

it's 1 of the worst songs on the album. it fits with the sound of radio right now, but ugh, did we really need to go THERE for a mary hit?

there are 2 songs on the album that had single potential: a collab with busta rhymes called "next level" that was a really cool dance song, and a ballad called "irreversible" that just was very well-done and had a great message.

and her label really fcuked up by not promoting the album's tour de force, "empty prayers." she shoulda been singing that EVERYWHERE live when that album dropped. it's vintage mary, too, but in a good way, unlike "mr. wrong," which is just dumb and has a terrible message.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "the girls esp young girls love it"
In response to Reply # 2

I think it introduce mary to some younger fans who just knew her by name and respect factor

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

come on people
17423 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:15 AM

5. "it's a great radio song."
In response to Reply # 3

it's just tired to old-school mary fans.

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I have to think ppl are tired of this shit from her"
In response to Reply # 2

If you look at MJB's career trajectory, the stuff that was most successful in the last 10 or so years was the celebratory, "I'm finally happy" shit (the No More Drama album, basically) and then the "it ain't workin but I love you" joints ("Be Without You", etc.)

All the other stuff did well because her brand is established, but it's like, she's STILL making songs about how dudes wronged her? STILL?

I get the vibe people want more, dare I say, "grown up" shit from her? Leave the love scorned stuff to the younger girls who are more connected to the teenagers and those experiences.

come on people
17423 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:21 AM

6. "funny thing is, rest of the album is NOTHING like that song."
In response to Reply # 4

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:22 AM

7. "I've only heard the stuff that's been posted on rap blogs"
In response to Reply # 6

i.e. the joints with Nas, Ross, etc.

hammam
Member since Nov 03rd 2011
398 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "NIGGA"
In response to Reply # 1

i swear to god I was just having a conversation with my brother the other day about this. the song came on the radio while we were on the car and the unanimous sentiment from everybody in the whip was that "She's too old for this shit."

she needs to be in the female anthony hamilton-esque lane.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 10:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "MJB ain't got much buzz on this record"
In response to Reply # 0

that first joint with Weezy and Diddy didn't generate no real buzz and so now they had to go back to the butter and bread formula and it still is struggling.

MJB needs a new back and still can pull it off I truly beleive.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 01:24 AM

9. "Monica's singles this time haven't been good at all"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked Anything but after the whole drama with Biggie's mom that kinda fell off for her and Kim.

Until it's Gone and It All Belongs to Me....pretty much awful to me :/

agentB
Member since Dec 14th 2007
1881 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 07:21 AM

10. "That's my jam. Very good throwback song."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like maybe the should've kept that vibe throughout the album. This could have been an 80s concept project.

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 07:35 AM

11. "beyonce should fall back for like 3yrs"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe do a christmas album or remix album in between
"4" didn't live up to beyonce's expectations
be a 'mommy' for a minute, come back stronger

come on people
17423 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 09:05 AM

12. "i dunno....she wanted to do an R&B album."
In response to Reply # 11

she did an R&B album....it did R&B album numbers. 1.1M sold is pretty good nowadays. and it's by pretty much every account a very good album.

now, if she thought she was gonna bring R&B back to pop radio...you're right, she failed. but in terms of entertainment and/or art, she succeeded imo.

however, i agree she should fall back for a couple years lol

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 10:03 AM

13. "a little sweat...neva hurt nobody...."
In response to Reply # 12

:^/

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 01:00 PM

15. "A 4 remix would be kinda crazy..."
In response to Reply # 11

Like if she got the people that her & Jay listen to (Panda Bear, Bon Iver, ?uesto, etc...) to remix the whole LP it would be cool.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Lobby The Lesson topic #2669190 Previous topic | Next topic