Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2668464

Subject: "more successful female protege(s): Prince or Rick James" Previous topic | Next topic
builtfromwax
Member since May 01st 2007
1879 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 04:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: more successful female protege(s): Prince or Rick James"

all had some success in their own right, but watching Sheila E's Unsung episode had me thinking like, "damn...either somebody copied the other really hard or great minds do think alike!"

the duets are tough too: Prince/Sheila "Erotic City" and "Love Bazaar" or Rick/Teena "Fire & Desire" and "Sucker for Love".

a lot of good things can be said about each act/group, but in the realm of public opinion...who has the most memorable impact.

discuss...

Poll result (10 votes)
Teena Marie (1 votes)Vote
Mary Jane Girls (1 votes)Vote
Sheila E (8 votes)Vote
Vanity/Apollonia 6 (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i just saw Sheila at the Oscars this past Sunday.
Feb 28th 2012
Teena is by far the most famous and successful in that way
Feb 28th 2012
hmmm...explain diverse?
Feb 28th 2012
huh?
Feb 28th 2012
On The Larger Scheme of things, Lady Tee In A Nutshell,,,
Feb 28th 2012
i think its CRAZY they both had a girl group and a female solo artist
Feb 28th 2012
the RJ camp duh? it ain't even close
Feb 28th 2012
RE: more successful female protege(s): Prince or Rick James
Mar 01st 2012

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 05:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i just saw Sheila at the Oscars this past Sunday."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-28-12 05:07 PM by SoWhat

where Teena at?

oops.

fuck you.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 05:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Teena is by far the most famous and successful in that way"
In response to Reply # 0

Sheila was more diverse and more talented as a whole.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

builtfromwax
1879 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "hmmm...explain diverse?"
In response to Reply # 2

>Sheila was more diverse and more talented as a whole.

diverse as in "ethnicity"? cuz i guess an argument can be made that Sheila was one of the 1st latina stars to crossover to pop music.

but what do you mean?

but as far as talented, i'd say it's a dead heat. Teena knew her way around a few instruments too.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 0

i gotta watch that unsung but, i thought Sheila E already had her steeze and was known as a talented musician before she ever met prince...

if this is "Sheila vs Teena" then i'm votin Teena

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 06:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "On The Larger Scheme of things, Lady Tee In A Nutshell,,,"
In response to Reply # 0

People will reference her music more than Sheila, and she already influenced a gang load of people.

Another reason that worked for her favor, was how she wasn't fully relegated to sing "Rick James demoes for later use" which was the curse of Sheila's musical career and the rest of her Paisly Park colleagues.

No question about it, Lady Tee's legacy has a leg of its own, Sheila showing up @ the Oscars glammed up to the gods shouldn't even be a factor because it will be forgotten by tomorrow.

Its interesting though, when you consider both artists(Rick and Prince), the only folks who survived from their camps are Teena and Sheila. Its an indication of how feisty those women are.

builtfromwax
1879 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 10:32 PM

6. "i think its CRAZY they both had a girl group and a female solo artist"
In response to Reply # 5

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 10:58 PM

7. "the RJ camp duh? it ain't even close"
In response to Reply # 0

Teena Marie had a solo career that went from the 70's through the 00's and had a couple of money tracks.

Mary Jane Girls til this day "In My House" walks over the Both 6's in a Blowout and it ain't even funny.

better Production, songs and fully developed careers.

Shelia E can play and is very talented, however with Prince she came across like a female broke version of Prince and Morris day and if she wasn't jamming on the Percussion or drums, then she was kinda Blah IMO.

Teena marie was a better free style artist and just hit harder.

i do respect and admire Shelia E and if She had have been in Rick James's camp as to being in Prince's I bet she would gone further as a Solo Artist IMO because Rick had more depth as a Songwriter and Producer especially on side projects.

Val Young's "Seduction" album alone matches easily what shelia E did solo with prince and her solo album on warners IMO.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 03:00 PM

8. "RE: more successful female protege(s): Prince or Rick James"
In response to Reply # 0

I dont see the comparison or competition because both parties and their proteges are completely different and the only common ground is that they had both had female proteges.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2668464 Previous topic | Next topic