Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2659685

Subject: "take Michael out the mix, is David Foster as important as Quincy Jones..." Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 03:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"take Michael out the mix, is David Foster as important as Quincy Jones..."

thinking about David Foster and all that he has accomplished as a Producer, Arranger, Musician, Songwriter and his versatility and it dawned on me, he stacks up rather favorably against Quincy Jones if you take MJ out of the mix agree or disagree?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I agree.
Feb 09th 2012
No
Feb 09th 2012
RE: No
Feb 09th 2012
RE: No
Feb 09th 2012
Hmm
Feb 09th 2012
for the reasons Denny listed... I'd say no
Feb 09th 2012

BlackandProud
Member since Feb 08th 2012
181 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 03:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I agree."
In response to Reply # 0

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 05:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "No"
In response to Reply # 0

On several different levels.....

What about Quincy's 'crime jazz' (shoot me now for using this sub-genre category) stuff like the score for the great movie 'In Cold Blood'?

Speaking of the art of 'scoring' a movie....When did David Foster contribute something to that artform?

Some of Frank Sinatra's greatest albums were produced by QJ.

What about the album 'Gula Matari'? Where's David Foster's response to something like that?

Or the Brothers Johnson....the sound he made with them foreshadowed what he'd do with Michael.

Is David Foster's piano playing approaching Quincy's trumpet playing?

How does D Foster's career respond to 'Soul Bossa Nova'?

And why would we disclude his work with MJ? He combined disco rhythms with jazz instrumentation with pop song structures. Off The Wall was a completely new sound and style compared to anything that came before it. An amalgamation that hadn't been done. Thriller created a new hybrid and expanded into rocknroll, synthetic drums and keyboards while keeping the pop song structures.

Maybe I'm ignorant about David Foster.....what kind of contributions and long-lasting impressions did he make again? I know he's produced some very good projects...but he hasnt' had anything close to the cultural impact of Q Jones. Especially over such a long period of time covering a variety of genres and sounds.

As producers and business men....one might consider them peers. And even in that context....QJ's career covers a wider timeframe. But musically? There is no debate.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 08:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: No"
In response to Reply # 2

^^^^

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 02:05 PM

5. "RE: No"
In response to Reply # 2

>On several different levels.....
>
>What about Quincy's 'crime jazz' (shoot me now for using this
>sub-genre category) stuff like the score for the great movie
>'In Cold Blood'?
>
>Speaking of the art of 'scoring' a movie....When did David
>Foster contribute something to that artform?
>
>Some of Frank Sinatra's greatest albums were produced by QJ.
>
>What about the album 'Gula Matari'? Where's David Foster's
>response to something like that?
>
>Or the Brothers Johnson....the sound he made with them
>foreshadowed what he'd do with Michael.
>
>Is David Foster's piano playing approaching Quincy's trumpet
>playing?
>
>How does D Foster's career respond to 'Soul Bossa Nova'?
>
>And why would we disclude his work with MJ? He combined disco
>rhythms with jazz instrumentation with pop song structures.
>Off The Wall was a completely new sound and style compared to
>anything that came before it. An amalgamation that hadn't
>been done. Thriller created a new hybrid and expanded into
>rocknroll, synthetic drums and keyboards while keeping the pop
>song structures.
>
>Maybe I'm ignorant about David Foster.....what kind of
>contributions and long-lasting impressions did he make again?
>I know he's produced some very good projects...but he hasnt'
>had anything close to the cultural impact of Q Jones.
>Especially over such a long period of time covering a variety
>of genres and sounds.
>
>As producers and business men....one might consider them
>peers. And even in that context....QJ's career covers a wider
>timeframe. But musically? There is no debate.
>
>

Quincy Jones was mainly known as a Arranger and a good Producer even back in the 60's. he was Jazz lite with alot of the same charts. 1)

David Foster as a Keyboard Player>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quincy Jones as a Trumpet Player, but Q had good hustle and picked up things, but ain't nobody ever marvled at Q as a Musician. the arranger and conductor yeah, but not for his playing.2)

Off the wall "Its the Fallin In Love" and then later History's "Earth Song" were co Produced by David Foster. check out his Book and Live DVD Hit Man and get back to me.

the Same David Foster who co Wrote and Co Produced "After the love is gone" for Earth,Wind and Fire,

Foster got funky on Cheryl Lynn's "Got to be Real"

Foster been on alot of R&B and Pop Acts over the years.

he has scored films as well.

and please don't mention Soul Bossa Nova because Q was out of his league there. Walking into Space was the Q album which got his thing over in the Jazz world as a solo act.

Foster was used sometimes in Q's camp, i mean in ways Glenn Ballard and Rod Temperton ain't that far different than what David Foster was doing. except Foster had bigger records overall especially when he worked with Celine Dion and Chicago.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

bigr2k
Member since Sep 07th 2005
813 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 07:02 AM

3. "Hmm"
In response to Reply # 0

Gotta say no here. QJ had the hits plus plus Fresh Princ of Bel-Air! ha

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Feb-09-12 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "for the reasons Denny listed... I'd say no"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-09-12 02:46 PM by Dr Claw

Dave is another one of those "known-in-the-industry" types who never really branched outside of music.

He has had a really great run as producer from the late '70s forward...and a session resume that places him with almost every big named act you can name. As a songwriter, those credits are almost as spectacular.

He actually was alright with Hall & Oates for example... one of the few times where he didn't compromise the sound of the artist he was working with. (Compare and contrast H&O w/Todd Rundgren... not that it was a bad record but certainly you could hear more "Todd" in that record)

He's a slight step below Dave Grusin (who somehow I feel is underrated as an artist...he def influenced Quincy as a producer of music outside jazz) in my all-time producer's book. Very closely joined to oft-collaborator Jay Graydon (together with Tommy Funderburk, they released AIRPLAY... one of my favorite records)

Lobby The Lesson topic #2659685 Previous topic | Next topic