Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2658908

Subject: "Who are the genuine artist vs. Hustlers in black music these days?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49400 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who are the genuine artist vs. Hustlers in black music these days?"
Tue Feb-07-12 10:06 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

And when I say artist I mean it in a very narrow sense of sensitive souls who have artistic statements to make who would cry at a plastic bag blowing in the wind?

I want to contrast that with the Hustlers who are in it because they see music as a means to become famous and make a lot of money.

Even if there were no money in it, the artist would still be practicing their craft while the hustler would move on to, i don't know, starting a clothing line or an internet company or something.

Are there any artists left these days?

I think we can agree that 50 cent is a Hustler but is Jay-Z an Artist or a Hustler?

How about Michael?

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't see why the two should have to be mutually exclusive.
Feb 07th 2012
I agree but I guess maybe I am looking for extreme examples.
Feb 07th 2012
It's a thin line between an artist and a swindler. Most are the latter.
Feb 07th 2012
Come grind ye Axes here!
Feb 07th 2012

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I don't see why the two should have to be mutually exclusive."
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49400 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I agree but I guess maybe I am looking for extreme examples."
In response to Reply # 1

I am pretty sure Kurt Cobain and Prince are pretty good mixtures of both but I wonder if Jay-Z is more hustler than artist.

It also seems like Badu and D'angelo are more artist than hustler because they have abandoned styles that were immensely popular inorder to try new more challenging stuff with mixed results.

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

specityo
Member since Feb 06th 2005
5899 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 11:09 AM

3. "It's a thin line between an artist and a swindler. Most are the latter."
In response to Reply # 0

Oh btw to all you artists out there.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 11:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Come grind ye Axes here!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2658908 Previous topic | Next topic