Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2658868

Subject: "Shuggie Otis' 'Aht Uh Mi Hed' = semi-cover of 'Under My Thumb,' yeah?" Previous topic | Next topic
AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 07:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Shuggie Otis' 'Aht Uh Mi Hed' = semi-cover of 'Under My Thumb,' yeah?"

Late pass if necessary... but this morning I'm listening to Inspiration Information for the first time in forever and I notice that this song (one of the most popular from the album) sounds a LOT like a slightly futuristic version of the Rolling Stones song.

Aht Uh Mi Hed: http://youtu.be/avw50zY4fxc

Under My Thumb: http://youtu.be/nYYTLJ8YHi4

This MUST have been discussed before but I just forgot, right?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
..not really!
Feb 07th 2012
I felt like it hit me over the head
Feb 07th 2012
i replied before re-listening and now i'm even more
Feb 07th 2012
      LOL
Feb 07th 2012
ummmm.... it's pretty close
Feb 07th 2012
I haven't listened since january 2007...
Feb 07th 2012
not even remotely.
Feb 07th 2012
I hear it. It's pretty stark actually.
Feb 07th 2012
Ain't it????
Feb 07th 2012
I do have spotify though...
Feb 07th 2012
'quarter-cover'... lol I'll take that.
Feb 07th 2012
      I didn't know that...
Feb 07th 2012
           Ritchie Blackmore? now that I did not know.
Feb 07th 2012
I don't think I ever would have noticed that
Feb 07th 2012
could be...
Feb 07th 2012

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "..not really!"
In response to Reply # 0

there's a vague similarity but it's not THAT close, is it?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I felt like it hit me over the head"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, Shuggie's melody diverges from the Stones fairly early on, but generally it retains the feel of "Under My Thumb," including the structure with that reflective instrumental break.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i replied before re-listening and now i'm even more "
In response to Reply # 2

adamant!

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:44 AM

4. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Feb-07-12 08:47 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

I listened again too and felt maybe my initial response might have been slightly overstated... but I still maintain that the similarity is relatively prominent.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:29 AM

11. "ummmm.... it's pretty close"
In response to Reply # 1

>there's a vague similarity but it's not THAT close, is it?

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:50 AM

5. "I haven't listened since january 2007..."
In response to Reply # 0

That's when I forgot the cd in thailand! I'll check this out when I get home from work-can't sit with youtube here unfortunately...

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 09:26 AM

6. "not even remotely. "
In response to Reply # 0

get off drugs

do or die

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 09:52 AM

7. "I hear it. It's pretty stark actually."
In response to Reply # 0

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:07 AM

8. "Ain't it????"
In response to Reply # 7

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:20 AM

9. "I do have spotify though..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-07-12 10:21 AM by Jakob Hellberg

And yes, they are very similar. The rhythm of the vocal-melody in the verse is pretty much the same even if the end of the phrase in the stones-song contains more notes. And the structure of the melody with two repetitions of the main melodic phrase followed by a contrasting motive that's also rhytmically similar and of the same length in both cases makes it even more similar. Seems like he used the Stones-song as a blueprint/skeleton and filled it with his own notes. Nice catch...

EDIT:Semi-Cover though? Not sure what the definition is of that. The melody generally carry stronger weight than rhythm/structure so maybe it's like a quarter-cover or something...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:27 AM

10. "'quarter-cover'... lol I'll take that."
In response to Reply # 9

But yeah, I supposed I went a bit hard with the "semi-cover" (hey, it was early in the morning) but it seems clear to me that Shuggie was probably fucking around with "Under My Thumb" on his newfangled keyboards and drum machines and then it took flight (no pun) from there.

And it's also interesting to note that around that period, the Stones had invited Shuggie to replace Mick Taylor.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:38 AM

12. "I didn't know that..."
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Feb-07-12 10:39 AM by Jakob Hellberg

>And it's also interesting to note that around that period, the
>Stones had invited Shuggie to replace Mick Taylor.

I knew his guitarplaying was popular with british rockers though even if I doubt it was because of this album. Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple of all people mentioned him as an influence on some of his solos on the "Fireball"-album and why they are a bit more mellow and "soulful" than the typical pyrotechnics. He also ripped off some licks straight up for the live-improvs with Deep Purple and later Rainbow. I get the impression Shuggie was cool in those circles for a while...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 10:49 AM

13. "Ritchie Blackmore? now that I did not know."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Feb-07-12 10:58 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

But then I guess I could see it since Deep Purple started leaning towards that soul/funk/rock fusion. But it's odd to think that there was a time that Shuggie was that much in demand, in light of what an obscure, marginal figure he's become since. But then again, he played with Al Kooper, whose sound was seen as pretty hip and forward thinking at the time, so I can understand him commanding some degree of esteem in those circles.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 12:22 PM

14. "I don't think I ever would have noticed that"
In response to Reply # 0

It's there, but I don't think it's overwhelming. Could even be just a coincidence.

--

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 01:03 PM

15. "could be..."
In response to Reply # 14

>It's there, but I don't think it's overwhelming. Could even
>be just a coincidence.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2658868 Previous topic | Next topic