Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2655248

Subject: "Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? " Previous topic | Next topic
Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? "

I'm sitting here listening to Kool G Rap's "Executioner Style" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcR6ffNDRvk&feature=related and no doubt I feel like G-Rap is top 10 all time and has one of the top 3 flows in the history of the genre. Questions: (of course Jay-Z, Eminem, Big Pun, Nas, AZ, Mobb Deep and so many other MC's say they influenced them. Rakim and Kane have said that he was the MC that pushed them to write more and harder)

For you...

1. Do you feel that G-Rap get the props he deserves?
2. Do you feel he is one of the greatest? (sounds like a crazy question but I have seen list without him even on it)
3. What is your favorite G-rap song and album?
4. What MC remind you more of G-Rap?
5. Random G-Rap comment .......here

My answers

1. "Young G Rap in his prime" #Jay-Z well..jigga gave him props but I still dont think he get the props he deserves but thats me.
2. Of course he is one of the greats. #8 on my personal all time list
3. Favorite G Rap song is Streets of New York and favorite LP is 4,5,6
4.Big Pun
5. I would like to hear one more great G-Rap LP but its all said and done

peace

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"
Jan 29th 2012
RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"
Jan 29th 2012
I don't have answers to your questions, however
Jan 29th 2012
RE: I don't have answers to your questions, however
Jan 29th 2012
Kool Genius Of Rap Is A LEGENDARY Rapper
Jan 29th 2012
He's one of the greatest ever......and
Jan 29th 2012
RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"?
Jan 29th 2012
fuck G Rap
Jan 29th 2012
i member i heard that song and was like...
Jan 31st 2012
Jan 30th 2012
Jan 30th 2012
Jan 30th 2012
not enough hits n/m
Jan 30th 2012
I Love G Rap man
Jan 30th 2012
when it comes to Kool G Rap I always go to my mantra
Jan 31st 2012
Jan 31st 2012

cjr2221
Member since Sep 04th 2011
1790 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend""
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-29-12 04:18 PM by cjr2221

1. Yeah and no. I discovered him on my own with the internet, so he does have recognition/fame for his contribution. I think with his talent he should be more highly regarded, but I understand why he doesn't and that's b/c of his relatively weak discog. (note I said relatively) I like all his LP's, but critically they aren't held up like Paid In Full/ Long Live the Kane which is a shame.

He should really get bigger props for starting the whole hardcore/mafioso/street stuff.

2. Yeah

3. #1 With A Bullet/ Live and Let Die is my favorite LP of his.

4. Nas

5. I was introduced to G. Rap early after reading Nas's page on wikipedia, so he was one of the first rappers who's Discog. I explored shortly after Nas's. I hold him in the same regard as Nas and Rakim, in my big 3.

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:49 PM

3. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend""
In response to Reply # 1

Much respect. No doubt. He is a beast yo....I was up on him actually when I was in school in the 90's...always been one of my favorites

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:13 PM

2. "I don't have answers to your questions, however"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-29-12 04:16 PM by simpsycho

I do feel that G Rap is the embodiment of "your favorite rapper's favorite rapper". Even though he doesn't get as much critical acclaim as others from his era, he gets props from countless rappers whose style he clearly influenced.

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:50 PM

4. "RE: I don't have answers to your questions, however"
In response to Reply # 2

Indeed. The MC's within the culture mos def respect him..

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 05:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Kool Genius Of Rap Is A LEGENDARY Rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

>1. Do you feel that G-Rap get the props he deserves?
>2. Do you feel he is one of the greatest? (sounds like a crazy
>question but I have seen list without him even on it)
>3. What is your favorite G-rap song and album?
>4. What MC remind you more of G-Rap?
>5. Random G-Rap comment .......here

>My answers
1. Yes I do feel that Kool G. Rap got the props he deserved back in the day up until the early 2000's but now he's not so legendary and if what people say "you're only good as your last song" then if he's not getting much props then rightfully so.

2. KGR one of the greatest, well it's all a matter of taste and opinion but for me he will never be in my top 10 or top 25 but he would make my top 75 favorite rappers/emcees.

3. My favorite song by Kool G. Rap is "Streets Of New York", my favorite album is probably "Wanted Dead Or Alive".

4. Hhmmm an emcee or rapper that reminds me of KGR, let's see probably Nas, Godfather Don, Cormega, just to name a few.

5. I think Kool G. Rap is an ill rapper but he kind of stop being innovative subject-wise after his third album "Live & Let Die" and his fifth album "Roots Of Evil" was his last good album, everything else is just the same ol' same ol' storylines and rhymes over & over again over dope to decent beats, basically the excitement in his music is long gone.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 09:17 PM

6. "He's one of the greatest ever......and"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say out of all of his peers that came out at the time.... Kane...KRS....Rakim Allah.... out of all of them dudes...

right today..... G. Rapp is still doing his thing. Them other dudes come with it sometimes still... But a G.Rapp album or mixtape today is of a quality that a lot of the vets aren't getting too..

he's still got it..

from this past year... Scarface Snow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB63PLXcrJY

America's nightmare w/ havoc 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgpOW7spZtM

70's gangster 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mX9tDMWaV0

his mixtape from 2011 an offer you can't refuse and the album from last year Riches, Royalty and respect were solid solid releases

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 09:42 PM

7. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? "
In response to Reply # 0

yes. he's well respected by his peers. that's all that matters

def top 15

Train Robbery/Wanted: Dead or Alive

Nas

i used to love 4,5,6 when it first dropped. not so much now.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Boximus Crime
Member since Jun 27th 2007
457 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 10:32 PM

8. "fuck G Rap"
In response to Reply # 0

He made a song called "I Whoop My Bitches Ass" and I wasn't amused at all cause he meant it. So what the girl he hit turned out to be Superhead.....I don't give a shit. That shit wasn't cool. Fuck him. How you get on a song with Poetess detesting how men put they hands on women and then make that song?

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Tue Jan-31-12 12:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "i member i heard that song and was like..."
In response to Reply # 8

..."oh."

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

spidey
Charter member
13121 posts
Mon Jan-30-12 03:29 PM

9. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? "
In response to Reply # 0

...a legend no doubt..definitly in the top 15 all time...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

2SenseWorth
Member since Sep 30th 2003
2857 posts
Mon Jan-30-12 05:24 PM

10. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? "
In response to Reply # 0

>For you...
>
From other MCs, particularly his peers and the generation immediately after him. But, from the average fan, and now, even hip-hop media types, he seems to get lost in the mix way too often. I would argue his influence on the greats of the next generation was arguably as strong as that of Rakim, Kane and Slick Rick who are named check all the time as the elite of their era. And, as far as pure rhyme skills, he could hold his own with any of them.

For me, he's a definite top 10 if we're talking purely MCing prowess. Probably top 15 or so if we are factoring in things like song/album making, cultural impact, etc, which is where guy like Ice Cube and Scarface might slide in ahead of him despite not being on his level skill-wise.

Song - Streets of NY/Ill Street Blues
Album - Live and Let Die

Pun obviously. But, I always felt like Cuban Linx/Iron Man era Rae and Ghost were kind of a Kung Fu flavored amalgamation of G Rap and Slick Rick.

I think maybe what hurts G Rap's standing is that he was always a little to raw to make a true "hit" on like a "Paid In Full", "Children's Story" or "Smooth Operator". If he had that signature track that could set a party off in the old school set today, he might be held in higher regard by the masses.

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Mon Jan-30-12 07:12 PM

12. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? "
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah, he is so raw that he never had one radio song to draw people in to appreciate him past the underground. Like Big Pun had Still Not a Player and then you hear the LP and be like damn..

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Mon Jan-30-12 05:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "not enough hits n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Jan-30-12 08:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I Love G Rap man"
In response to Reply # 0

When I was in Senegal over a year ago I let a young cat hold my ipod and he listened to the first G Rap album over and over again. Road To The Riches is one of my favorite rap songs period. It's just a lyrical ass record that you can dance to real crazy. I think he doesn't get the respect he deserves partly because he doesn't want to accept his status as an elder statesman. He never does old school shows or anything like that. You'll never see him perform Symphony with the rest of the Juice Crew. Damn shame.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

L.E.S.
Member since Oct 18th 2006
5070 posts
Tue Jan-31-12 01:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "when it comes to Kool G Rap I always go to my mantra"
In response to Reply # 0

which is

"Nobody is better at rapping than Kool G Rap."

Yes he is under appreciated. Yes we know that the true greats give him his
props, and that's probably more important than anything else at the end of the day,
to know that he has influence all of the great MC's that came after him.

I love when Riq does his G Rap impressions.

Streets of NY is probably my favorite joint of his all time.

zamas
Charter member
3208 posts
Tue Jan-31-12 02:01 AM

16. "RE: Is Kool G. Rap the "Lost Legend"? "
In response to Reply # 0

He been the man for a looooooooooooooooong time, he does not get the credit he deserves in my opinion. He is as good as anybody that does this for a living, having said that i have not bought one of his cd's since road to riches. One of the few(imho) to outshine bis on his own shit.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfPn2PBx6No

"Ain't no future in yo frontin" -MC Breed

"I love the Lord, and if lovin the Lord is wrong, I dont wanna be right" -Reverend Brown

Lobby The Lesson topic #2655248 Previous topic | Next topic