Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2654380

Subject: "Bigger Impact on Hip Hop Looking Back: PE or NWA? " Previous topic | Next topic
Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bigger Impact on Hip Hop Looking Back: PE or NWA? "

Bigger Impact on Hip Hop Looking Back: PE or NWA? Looking back basically 25 years, who has left a bigger mark, influence, music/classic, and position in Hip Hop between NWA and PE? They both influenced the genre from two different angles with a lot of power. One from the street perspective of the reality of ghetto, poor, drugs and violence....the other from a more "civil rights" perspective. Alot of great music came from both and pushed many of the artist in the next generation.

NWA gave birth to DRE, Snoop, Ice Cube, Dogg Pound and about 10-20 other acts

PE is the father of East Coast conscious hip hop. You can plug in 20 artist here as well

Peace

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
NWA, off The Chronic, alone
Jan 27th 2012
NWA and it aint even close
Jan 27th 2012
If the answer was PE, current hip hop would be in a much better place
Jan 27th 2012
Yup
Jan 27th 2012
not necessarily
Jan 27th 2012
Not mad at the NWA choice but I think it's closer than folks think
Jan 27th 2012
i could roll with this...bcz PE made crackas push the other shit more
Jan 27th 2012
you know the quality of a tree by the fruit it bears
Jan 27th 2012
RE: Bigger Impact on Hip Hop Looking Back: PE or NWA?
Jan 27th 2012
NWA all the way.
Jan 28th 2012
honestly
Jan 28th 2012
nah you're right
Jan 28th 2012
RE: honestly
Jan 28th 2012
NWA nwa NWA nwa NWA nwa NWA nwa NWA
Jan 28th 2012
easily NWA...PE was lightning in a bottle...I can't even name a
Jan 28th 2012
RE: easily NWA...PE was lightning in a bottle...I can't even name a
Jan 29th 2012
I am interested to see if anyone can make a case for PE...
Jan 28th 2012
I think PE had a more impactful musical legacy.
Jan 28th 2012
Unfortunatley NWA's impact is far greater
Jan 28th 2012
NWA then and now
Jan 29th 2012
RE: NWA then and now
Jan 29th 2012
As already stated by some in this thread, the correct answer is NWA,
Jan 29th 2012
RE: As already stated by some in this thread, the correct answer is NWA,
Jan 29th 2012

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 09:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "NWA, off The Chronic, alone"
In response to Reply # 0

tragically

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 10:47 AM

2. "NWA and it aint even close"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 10:54 AM

3. "If the answer was PE, current hip hop would be in a much better place"
In response to Reply # 0

JMO

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 11:42 AM

7. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 3

Not to say it's NWA "unfortunately", but you get the idea

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 11:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "not necessarily"
In response to Reply # 3

how many more Flava Flavs do we REALLY need?

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 11:01 AM

4. "Not mad at the NWA choice but I think it's closer than folks think"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-27-12 11:01 AM by Marbles

PE was one of the earliest hip-hop acts to make people (heads and the establishment) pay close attention to what was being said. Sure, NWA's lyrics made noise because of the explicit nature. But I think the mainstream felt a different type of threat from PE's message than they did from NWA.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 11:03 AM

5. "i could roll with this...bcz PE made crackas push the other shit more"
In response to Reply # 4

they aint want that PE shit to really blow up AT ALL...

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "you know the quality of a tree by the fruit it bears"
In response to Reply # 0

are there more acts like PE today or more like NWA?

the latter, methinks (though in both cases anything we have now is just a watered down version)

too bad in both cases

tangentially, I think replication was never the goal for either

just the marketing of at-the-time cultural vibes (PE took advantage of - and helped spread - the revolutionary Black renaissance of the last 80s-early 90s, while NWA leveraged all the anger and nihilism of inner city Black youth)

in both cases the packaging and commercialization ultimately led to to them becoming self parodies of what they were trying to represent as outsiders wanted to latch on for the cool factor (see: everybody all of a sudden either wanting to be "gangsta" or a pseudo-revolutionary without having to actually put in the work to really be either)

smoothcriminal12
Member since Jan 07th 2012
405 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 12:03 PM

9. "RE: Bigger Impact on Hip Hop Looking Back: PE or NWA? "
In response to Reply # 0

Unfortunately NWA.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 04:42 PM

10. "NWA all the way."
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 04:52 PM

11. "honestly"
In response to Reply # 0

what's the point of this?

i know this'll just get some "peace bro, sorry you mad" response...

but why do we HAVE to constantly argue/discuss who had the BIGGEST "effect" or "accomplishment" or "dick" or whatever the poster is concerned with...

why can't PE have it's effect, degree by degree, and NWA have it's without having to pick a "winner", we always have to pick a goddamn "winner" in hip-hop, i get that that's in the culture w/ battling and all that but MAN, there are so many degrees of influence from various sources on various things and.....just....

nvm, i overreacted

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 05:06 PM

13. "nah you're right"
In response to Reply # 11

there's way too much this or that discussion, like when albums drop. it's immediately compared to the best album that artist dropped or even the best albums of all time, so it can never be appreciated for being a good/great albums, its always, "well, its okay but its not as good as *insert universally recognized classic album*

i think there was a section.80 post where someone was like "its cool, but its def not touching illmatic" where the only connection between the two albums was that they were both debuts.

i recall a bunch of people putting down big boi's album last year because it wasn't as good as aquemini. really?

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 05:44 PM

15. "RE: honestly"
In response to Reply # 11

This post is not a winner but about the culture. It can spark a lot of different angles to discuss. The youth have been affected more by NWA which means that violence in music connects to the poverty and even the fascination from others who arent from that environement. Some people made points about this very thing in this post. You can always just ignore the post. It's not really that hard. For the ones who want to reply...they are given the option...pretty simple

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 04:54 PM

12. "NWA nwa NWA nwa NWA nwa NWA nwa NWA"
In response to Reply # 0

nwa

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 05:26 PM

14. "easily NWA...PE was lightning in a bottle...I can't even name a"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-28-12 05:44 PM by vee-lover

group that is noticebly influenced by PE...

how can any group duplicate the unique outfit that was PE, though?

NWA's relevance is still felt on the culture some 20 yrs later

grassrootsphilosopher

loveluv
Charter member
1038 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 12:35 AM

19. "RE: easily NWA...PE was lightning in a bottle...I can't even name a"
In response to Reply # 14

wu tang clan & cypress hill off the top of the dome.

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 05:45 PM

16. "I am interested to see if anyone can make a case for PE..."
In response to Reply # 0

grassrootsphilosopher

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 07:56 PM

17. "I think PE had a more impactful musical legacy."
In response to Reply # 0

i mean no one, and I mean NO ONE was seeing or doing what the Bomb Squad was musically. The closest one might have been Dr. Dre at the time and even he admitted that he was doing his version of what the Bomb Squad was doing with PE.

and as far as bottling the angst of young black America, no one was better than Chuck D and Flav.

and like Thanes said, there are lots of conscious East Coast groups, but you could also trace that heritage back to KRS-ONE or 'The Message'.

Musically, you could legitimately argue that PE was the more innovative and creative group.

But the fact that there are still gangsta rap acts (Game, Lil' Wayne) and that juvenile, rebellious energy lives on with acts like Odd Future and pretty much other rapper out there means that NWA tapped into something that no one else had the mind to do at that time. Couple in the fact that they spawned and influenced acts like Cube, Easy E, Ren, the D.O.C., Snoop Dogg, Tha Dogg Pound, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, and indirectly Eminem, means that NWA wins this round.

interesting question tho.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 11:22 PM

18. "Unfortunatley NWA's impact is far greater "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-28-12 11:23 PM by micMajestic

They made it cool to be anti-establishment, egocentric, violent & misogynistic. There are 100's of rappers who have followed their template. You couldn't have gangsta/thug/trap/horrorcore/crunk etc. without them.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 01:37 AM

20. "NWA then and now"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean they had Artists with careers and spun off other careers.

PE while i dug some of there records, they are a time period piece which got old real fast.

the who is on first routine with Chuck D and Flavor was more comedy than importance.

if PE had have had a Spine and rode with Professior Griff then it might have looked better for them.

the other Problem for PE is that all there sampling and looping was allowed and when the game started charging cats for taking things, suddenly what seemed cold and cool, didn't have near the same zip.

Chuck D was all you cared about. if they had have pursued things fully they have had a boutique label and done what the Wu ended up doing and that is branding themselves and had several spin off acts.

Sister Souljah didn't hit with that album which went cardboard.

Terminator X went glad bag and nobody was feeling that.

Eazy E was a street level cat who could flip anything and make it work. Puffy outta think his lucky stars for a Eazy Eric wright being born, because that was a foundation right there at a successful formula.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:06 PM

22. "RE: NWA then and now"
In response to Reply # 20

I agree with you.

CaptainRook
Charter member
4937 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 11:39 AM

21. "As already stated by some in this thread, the correct answer is NWA,"
In response to Reply # 0

mainly because the spirit of what they was bringin, had the overall backing and support of The Establishment.

Understand, NWA didn't have the backing or support of The Establishment; as a matter of fact, hits like F*ck the Police made them Mad Nervous. But the powers that be, understanding the power and influence of hip hop music, realized they couldn't kill it, so they shrewedly decided to co-op it. And in deciding to co-op it, the choice was easy for them to decide which style to clone.

The street/thug shit was in, the conscious/revolutionary shit was out. So we will continue to see NWA, watered-down, less threating clone-types gettin' mainstream media exposure, while the children of PE are being relegated to relative obscurity (see the likes of Dead Prez, Jeru tha Damaja, X-Clan (who are still making music, believe or not); less known artist such as Sa-Roc the MC, Immortal Technique; and to a certain extent, Mos Def (as an individual artist), Talib Kweli (as an individual artist), and Black Star ( the aforementioned as a group), among some other "underground" MCs.

So the short and accurate answer, if you are looking at mainstream music, is NWA, because they have had A LOOOTTTTT of help from the powers that be. PE's Spirit is still alive in Hip Hop music, but it's not nearly as pervasive or ubiquitous.

<<<<"Nothings more attractive than a heavy praying woman" © Andre 3000

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 04:07 PM

23. "RE: As already stated by some in this thread, the correct answer is NWA,"
In response to Reply # 21

Perfectly worded fam

Lobby The Lesson topic #2654380 Previous topic | Next topic