Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2652536

Subject: "Artists w/ the most interesting career trajectories... " Previous topic | Next topic
DonWonJusuton
Member since Jun 28th 2003
3027 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Artists w/ the most interesting career trajectories... "

so, it's always cool looking at artists/acts/producers who started out in the game a certain way and end up doing things bigger, better or just completely different than anyone could have expected...

doesn't matter the genre, or time period.. but let's look mostly at those who have been around/active for at least 7 or 8 years (i want to say 10 years, but i don't want to cut any cool stories out).. and for the record, "they rocketed out of the gate and they gradually slowed down and now he/she is a bum" isn't what i'd call an interesting career trajectory... it also doesn't really matter if you *like* what they ended up doing, just that it was different and from their perspective, it was a good look...

i'll kick it off w/ Cee-Lo (who i originally thought about for this post)... starting out as a member of goodie mob - a fan favorite to a relatively small sect of the population, as a rapper... early classics under his belt... then on to make pretty awesome (and kinda weird) solo records, mostly as a rapper.. maybe even less commercial success than with the group.. then links up w/ Danger Mouse for an album of singing - seemingly on a whim and created as a side project... has a monster hit w/ Crazy... probably gets called Gnarls Barkley to his face countless times by fans who have no idea he had a pretty long and successful career before Crazy... then becomes a fan favorite as a singer - to a completely new audience.. stars in commercials, budgets increase - drops internet sensation, Fuck You... now households everywhere know him as one of the coaches on reality show, The Voice...

... damn.

it's especially funny to me, because i remember meeting him in the line at CVS when i first moved down to miami ('08).. i thought it was kinda weird, seeing a superstar (in my mind) buying his own toothbrushes and shit.. and basically in the time it took me to graduate law school, he's pretty much a permanent fixture in the industry and possibly even a household name.. anyways, i doubt i'll be seeing him at the mini-mart any time soon lol...

i can think of some more.. but i'd like to hear y'all chime in

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Drake...Black Eyed Peas....maybe Tyga, seeing how he ends up
Jan 24th 2012
the Peas yes
Jan 24th 2012
yea, BEPs... damn, what a 180... and w/ Drake yea, you def. have to
Jan 24th 2012
Tyga's not big-big yet, but he has one of the most "interesting" type of
Jan 25th 2012
his parents are industry niggas, so thats not surprising to me really
Jan 26th 2012
george clinton fascinates me.
Jan 24th 2012
the isley bros. were around for every incarnation of black music*
Jan 24th 2012
hahah yea, my first exposure was ron as Mr. Big in that Kelly Price
Jan 24th 2012
Miles Davis, Sly, Coltrane, Sun Ra
Jan 24th 2012
most of those older artists, i only know catalog/hits.. not really
Jan 24th 2012
      About Erykah
Jan 27th 2012
Cee-Lo was definitely the first one that came to mind
Jan 24th 2012
yea, Jay-Z for SURE... i'll throw Kanye into that mix too..
Jan 24th 2012
Cee-Lo was first for me to.
Jan 24th 2012
MF DOOM
Jan 24th 2012
well when you put it like this... YES
Jan 25th 2012
good one
Jan 25th 2012
Sidepost: am I the only one who liked DangerDoom?
Jan 25th 2012
Haha - nope, you ain't alone.
Jan 25th 2012
My Man...*hands you a cold beer*
Jan 25th 2012
      *daps*
Jan 25th 2012
Not at all
Jan 25th 2012
Nah man, always though it was dope.
Jan 26th 2012
the fat is in the fire...a fryer made of chickenwire;
Jan 27th 2012
^^^Came in here to post this
Jan 26th 2012
T.I.?
Jan 24th 2012
I, by shear accident; came across Ray Cash's mixtape
Jan 25th 2012
      yeah, i heard he might be coming out with something recently,,,
Jan 26th 2012
Quincy Jones
Jan 24th 2012
kid rock
Jan 24th 2012
His story is a bizarre one
Jan 25th 2012
Jamiroquai
Jan 24th 2012
damn when you put it this way
Jan 25th 2012
My fav band......
Jan 27th 2012
DMX...
Jan 25th 2012
Yeah he's had a wild ride so far
Jan 25th 2012
Haha good stuff with the "7 years later..." thing...
Jan 25th 2012
Someone posted about him here before, but A-Trak
Jan 26th 2012
hahahaha oops....... how about the motherfucking ROOTS!
Jan 26th 2012
i get why
Jan 28th 2012
Isley Brothers, Michael Jackson, R.Kelly,Bobby Womack
Jan 26th 2012
RE: Artists w/ the most interesting career trajectories...
Jan 27th 2012
ice cube
Jan 27th 2012
upp'd
Jan 27th 2012
RE: Artists w/ the most interesting career trajectories...
Jan 29th 2012
Rick Ross
Jan 29th 2012
I always found Carcass interesting in that regard...
Jan 29th 2012

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Drake...Black Eyed Peas....maybe Tyga, seeing how he ends up"
In response to Reply # 0

When I first heard Drake, he was just some guy who had a song with Dwele and Little Brother. Then I see HELLA FB statuses talking about his mixtape in early 2009, and I said "wait....same dude from the Dwele and LB sogn???" I didn't know anything about him being on TV, which made it even stranger.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 04:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "the Peas yes"
In response to Reply # 1

my homeboys literally use to break dance with them around 96-98. Now they are NEGA stars and Kim Hill is still doin' her indy-soul thing in Compton.

ehh on Drake, from So Far Gone to now, he's pretty much been the it boy. that LB/Dwele "phase" really wasn't one. i'm more fascinated about how he, especially with Black woman, stikes such an emotinal/personal cord. I was at his after party in Vegas on New Years day, and literally 70% of the club (95% Black) was rapping word for word to every damn song of his the DJ played. He really is a "phenom".

DonWonJusuton
3027 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 04:48 PM

9. "yea, BEPs... damn, what a 180... and w/ Drake yea, you def. have to"
In response to Reply # 1

include his days on that canadian sitcom in talking about his career... all entertainment-based... i don't really dig his music like that... but from that "wheelchair jimmy" gig to beefing w/ hip hop HOF'ers... that's quite uniqe... haha jk, i give him more credit than that, he's legit at the top of the entertainment world right now.. but yea, either way, what a wild ride that must've been.. speaking of drake, funny tidbit: one of my friends randomly chatted w/ him on that chat-roulette website the other day, has screenshots and everything... no clue folks like that went on chat roulette.. the joke here is that he was looking to see random penis... but i kid.. i'm sure that's not why................

and yea, Black Eyed Peas - underground rappers to doritos commercials and the superbowl? wow. still trying to put my finger on the catalyst for that turn around... hahaha..

i feel like tyga isn't quite big enough for consideration just yet... honestly, i barely know who he is

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:27 PM

26. "Tyga's not big-big yet, but he has one of the most "interesting" type of"
In response to Reply # 9

stories to me.

Most artists come out locally, get buzz, get some nationwide buzz, blow up with either a commercial single or a more Regional sounding single, and then it goes into whatever direction.

With him, NOBODY in L.A. had heard of him...then he gets a single in rotation on MTV with Travie Barker that's not even really Rap, and people are like "who the hell is he? Wait, he's from L.A.???? The hell???" then he gets signed to the biggest camp in Rap, and instead of saying "yeaaa L.A. got somebody on YM!" we said "why and how??"

Then...he was on a few songs, nobody really cared...then a few more, folks said "oh, he's not good but ok he's on some semi-hit songs"...then to "Deuces" which he didn't do anything special on but was a hit.....then "Lap dance" which got a lil play.....then..."RACK CITY"......and the ENTIRE city was like WTF??? It became the biggest song of the year for L.A., a Top 50 Nationwide Billboard hit....and folks still felt like "that's cool...what's next?" Then, he puts out two mixtapes that have HELLA club bangers that end up giving him the crown as the king of L.A. Club music by the end of 2011.

So yeah...even a year ago, ask somebody in L.A., "how do you feel about Tyga?" and they say "That lil dude? Who cares?" and now it's "along with/behind YG? He RUNS the club/Ratchet scene."

Still not major like that, but I just think that's a rare story for a rapper to get big locally way after getting major play nationwide...backwards as hell really.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 11:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "his parents are industry niggas, so thats not surprising to me really"
In response to Reply # 1

no other way for his shit to turn out

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 03:38 PM

2. "george clinton fascinates me."
In response to Reply # 0

just the idea that his band started as a (relatively) singing group
and then managed to morph into all the crazy stuff they did later on.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 03:41 PM

3. "the isley bros. were around for every incarnation of black music*"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-12 03:46 PM by Joe Corn Mo

they had the 50s rock and roll sound w/ "shout."
they had the motown sound w/ "this old heart of mine."
they had a thing going in the 70s as an album oriented band.
they had some r&b success in the 80s,
and even when hip hop came around, mr. big was still a presence all the way up until like 2004 or something.

it's completely unprecedented.
i can't think of another band that had that kind of longevity.

EDIT: *post-rock and roll music. i see you AFKAP lol

DonWonJusuton
3027 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 06:41 PM

12. "hahah yea, my first exposure was ron as Mr. Big in that Kelly Price"
In response to Reply # 3

track... then i was exposed to earlier work... wow.

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 03:53 PM

4. "Miles Davis, Sly, Coltrane, Sun Ra"
In response to Reply # 0

Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Common, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Jill Scott, YES on Cee-Lo

DonWonJusuton
3027 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 06:43 PM

13. "most of those older artists, i only know catalog/hits.. not really"
In response to Reply # 4

everything that went on in their careers... but i will say Common was another one i was thinking of... i'm interested in what you mean w/ Erykah.. seems like her career has been pretty straight forward (and mf'ing great, imo)

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 01:15 AM

39. "About Erykah"
In response to Reply # 13

it's actually pretty interesting in my opinion.

She wants to be a female rapper when she's growing up, but opts to sing. She steps on the scene with an alternative look, but a very Black (woman) sound and expands the alter-Black/Boho lane that D opened up a couple years earlier with 3 great singles: "On & On", "Next Lifetime" and "Tyrone" that make her a big hit and wins her awards

3 years later she still goes 2x plat with Mamas Gun, and is a critical darling, but yields no big singles and rides the end of the neo-soul wave... while making the gossip wire with relations to Andre (having a kid) and Common

she disappears for 4 years (due to label mergers), comes back more political but with an even more abstract ep/lp that again has no big singles, and has mixed views from critics. It also seems she loses half of her fan base with this release

another 3 years pass (dealing with writers block), she seems to create a small-hit with "Honey", which is really a mask for one of the most progressively strange and experimentally wonderful (arguably her best) soul/funk/r&b lps of recent memory, that gets A LOT of love from critics, but loses another quarter of her fans.

now here we are today. she has another kid with the enigma of Jay Elect, is making music with FlyLo, Shafiq, Thundercat and Ta'raach, with little to no mainstream love, making artsy / "controversial" videos and one of the few "progressive" psuedo-indie Black singers...

again, this is the woman who was on ALL the covers and winning awards with her first album 15 years ago.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 04:03 PM

6. "Cee-Lo was definitely the first one that came to mind"
In response to Reply # 0

following him, Jay-Z probably. Even though he was always more or less a rapper...

if you told me in 1990 than in 2011 people would be waiting with baited breath over the news of his newborn daughter like it was a big tabloid event, I'd probably laugh at you

DonWonJusuton
3027 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 06:51 PM

14. "yea, Jay-Z for SURE... i'll throw Kanye into that mix too.."
In response to Reply # 6

jay is damn near pop culture royalty... 98 was really the first year i was really into music and after hearing Hard Knock Life, i def. wouldn't have predicted where he's at.. even though he always acted as if he was at the top already...

then ye as a super trendy producer.. and i remember clowning him after "Through the Wire" came out... i was a fan a couple more singles into that album and i mean, the rest is history.. i think kanye's career has been REALLY interesting along the way too... great theatre too

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 07:11 PM

15. "Cee-Lo was first for me to."
In response to Reply # 6

People don't believe me when i tell em the dude who made F' You was also the dude from Gnarles Barkley and started his career in a southern rap group

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 04:16 PM

7. "MF DOOM"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-12 04:21 PM by Ishwip

Starts off as part of K.M.D. in the early 90's, a Native Tongue-ish group affiliated with 3rd Bass. Then in 93 his brother is killed, their 2nd album gets shelved, and he's dropped from the label.

A few years later he returns fat and sloppy-looking with a raspier, slurrier delivery while wearing a mask.

He then eff's around and drops multiple classics/very enjoyable albums within the span of a few years, becoming one of the underground's bigger names and more adored MC/producers.

Then he disappears for a few more years and returns with a solid album while having stand-ins rap as him at concerts.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 12:31 AM

17. "well when you put it like this... YES"
In response to Reply # 7

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 11:30 AM

21. "good one"
In response to Reply # 7

DOOM was definitely an instant "check-for" artist in the 2000s
and he came out of the ashes

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:08 PM

22. "Sidepost: am I the only one who liked DangerDoom?"
In response to Reply # 7

I remember picking that one up, and when I came in here talking about how much I liked it, I was beheaded by the Legion of Doom Stans...

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:16 PM

23. "Haha - nope, you ain't alone."
In response to Reply # 22
Wed Jan-25-12 09:16 PM by Brew

But I similarly caught a lot of flack for how much I loved that album from friends of mine who were huge Doom stans. They said it was subpar, etc. And while, yea he had better work around that time, I still thought that album, on its own, was excellent and fun.

I still listen to that album pretty often, actually.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:31 PM

27. "My Man...*hands you a cold beer*"
In response to Reply # 23

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

Brew
24413 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:43 PM

28. "*daps*"
In response to Reply # 27

Ishwip
19953 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 11:36 PM

30. "Not at all"

I didn't find him as clever lyrically, but I liked it overall.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 12:13 PM

35. "Nah man, always though it was dope."

I had no idea it was unpopular with DOOM fans on here. Shit bangs back to front for me. The remixes/bonus tracks are dope too.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

darius heyward bey
Member since Oct 13th 2009
5119 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 04:23 AM

41. "the fat is in the fire...a fryer made of chickenwire;"

"getting sick and tired of a frickin liar"

Nigga I'm FAST....*pyoon*
ARE YOU TRYING TO RACE?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Hiper18Yc

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 12:12 PM

34. "^^^Came in here to post this"
In response to Reply # 7

In fact, I think I've posted sometihng almost exactly like that in a precious post about "successful comebacks" a few months ago.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

j clyde morris
Member since Oct 23rd 2004
1265 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 04:19 PM

8. "T.I.?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you remember, his first album (with a DOPE 01-02 era Neptunes single) was a complete flop and he was dropped from Arista. I never expected to hear from him again after that. Add on to that all the jail stints.

I guess the equivalent would be if Ray Cash were to somehow resurrect and have a celebrated career (btw, i would really like to see this happen. Ray's debut was dope to me)

www.soundcloud.com/j-clyde
www.twitter.com/JClyde757
IG: @JClyde757

Alphabet
4402 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:21 PM

25. "I, by shear accident; came across Ray Cash's mixtape "
In response to Reply # 8

that came out like a month ago.

He talked about in several songs how he went to jail a couple years ago right when he was making a footing in the game, and how he let alot of people down and planed to avenge that with his music now that he just got out..

The mixtape was alright..I didn;t here anything that would set the world on fire, but it had some good joints on it..

j clyde morris
1265 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 11:55 AM

33. "yeah, i heard he might be coming out with something recently,,,"
In response to Reply # 25

i need to go peep that. thanks for reminding me.

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 04:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Quincy Jones"
In response to Reply # 0

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 05:16 PM

11. "kid rock"
In response to Reply # 0

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 10:01 PM

29. "His story is a bizarre one"
In response to Reply # 11

He went from opening for guys like Ice Cube and Too Short in the early 90's to hosting the CMT awards nearly 20 years later.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 07:21 PM

16. "Jamiroquai"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure how the story will end. But from start to where JK is now, it's been a pretty interesting ride.

From his days as a skateboarding treehugger, who auditioned ( and was turned down ) for the Brand New Heavies to Superstar.

I would've NEVER dreamed that the guy who gave us "When You Gonna Learn", "Emergency on Planet Earth" and all that Humanitarian organic Soul would wind up as a drug addled, Ferrari drivin', Filthy rich Superstar with none of his band around him to carry the groove.

When JMQI first dropped that single on Acid Jazz ( they weren't even signed to Sony yet), I knew they were bad ass. But THEN the Full Length "EOPE" came out and it was Game Over for pretenders in the Acid Jazz Genre ( they pretty much killed off The Heavies and all those other Milqetoast Acid Jazz groups).

So yeah...They were dope. But nothing lasts forever, right?

Wrong... "Travelling Without Moving" dropped and killed anything that wasn't moving. Disco, Funk, Soul Jazz, Downtempo, you name it, JK and 'nm did it. To DEATH.

JK got "Famous" and then started doing drugs. And with the success of the "Virtual Insanity" video, the rest of the world heard them for the first time. We should've seen it coming.

They dropped ANOTHER smoker with "Synkronized" just to prove they weren't fuckin' around. But that's
when the wheels came off...

JK spiraled out of control, and one-by-one, core members of the band left, which affected the music. By the time "Dynamite" ( which, to be fair was a pretty good 'comeback' album) rolled around, Jamiroquai sounded like a Jamiroquai Tribute Band.

It's sad to see, but if you have the "High Times" DVD, you can see from the videos that as the band got more and more successful, Jay's offstage lifestyle came seeping into the band. He went from singing about starving babies to wearing $2,000 Gucci Suits while driving Heidi Klum around in a convertible Rolls Royce.

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 12:33 AM

18. "damn when you put it this way"
In response to Reply # 16

yes, lol

i need to watch that DVD. and you aint lyin' TWM and SYnk are some serious shit

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 11:08 PM

43. "My fav band......"
In response to Reply # 16

It's been a crazy ride for sure. I can't completely co-sign on the Jay went corporate shit. He did in some ways but the groove never left that dude. He still has some of his ideals as well. And I actually like that Jamiroquai was able to explore Acid Jazz, Funk, Disco, Electronic, and Acoustic sounds across their albums.

The thing that really did Jay in was the success of TWM. The rest of the band wanted a bigger cut and and Jay started to view the band as more of a solo venture with backing musicians rather than a band. I get so angry when people say "Oh you like Jamiroquai.....HES really good" But I can't blame them if all they fuckin see is Jay. A lot of the cohesiveness left once that shit crept in. Jay's got a huge ego. But he's still a very brilliant, and talented singer.

Bassist Stuart Zender leaving really changed the dynamic of that band. He is a fuckin wicked bassist. They've not had anyone even close to that good since. Toby Smith, their former keyboardist left after Dynamite. His loss was jsut as big probably, as he wrote almost their entire catalog with Jay. You can really hear his absence on their new album, although the album isnt terrible by any means.

j clyde morris
1265 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 12:45 AM

19. "DMX..."
In response to Reply # 0

Unsigned Hype back in '91.

Seven years later, he's arguably the biggest rapper on the planet with 2 number one albums in the same calendar year.

Seven years later he's completely irrelevant, spending the majority of his time behind bars for completely reckless behavior (more than likely caused by a steady diet of hard drugs).

Seven years later he is out of jail, presumably sober and attempting to make a legit comeback this time.

Ishwip
19953 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:51 AM

20. "Yeah he's had a wild ride so far"
In response to Reply # 19

Was never a huge fan, but he's had some of my favorite guest spots and it would be nice if he made a good comeback in life and music.
__

Brew
24413 posts
Wed Jan-25-12 09:19 PM

24. "Haha good stuff with the "7 years later..." thing..."
In response to Reply # 19

I didn't know he was Unsigned Hype in 1991. That's wild.

stankpalmer
Member since Dec 16th 2003
6840 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 12:05 AM

31. "Someone posted about him here before, but A-Trak"
In response to Reply # 0

Went from battle DJ prodigy, winning the DMC's at 15. Honorary member of the Skratch Piklz. Kanye's tour DJ. Now he's the electro house king. Saw him rock here in SF not too long ago, venue was packed, girls hella screaming for him...dude's a rockstar.

------
so...if you're into DJing or nightlife...
or DJing AND nightlife...
peep Opening Set Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/openingset

also remixes: http://jonreyes.bandcamp.com

@stankpalmer

DonWonJusuton
3027 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 08:37 PM

36. "hahahaha oops....... how about the motherfucking ROOTS! "
In response to Reply # 0

lol... now i get why ?uest ain't too fond of us sometimes....

but yea, the roots as a group, ?uestlove as an individual, throwing in Scottie as a spinoff, and then the lack of recognition for an MC who gets face/voice time on network television every damn day... they're interesting as fuck (honestly, i still meet plenty of so-called rap fans who have NO clue who BT is until i say "the roots".. but they know "that drummer w/ the afro" and could spot him out of a crowd.. not to mention, nearly 2M twitter followers)...

not even stopping there.. the turtle-speed rise to the top, w/o ever really getting a chance to be on "top"... the fact that they've been around as long as they have been... that they've been on the tip of EVERYONE's tongue at some point or another (millions of ppl site the roots as a "favorite"), the fact that they've worked for and with industry GIANTS... that they've been able to fit into MULTIPLE eras of hip hop and exhibit how a band can/should age and still put out a superior product that reflects where *they're* at as much as it kinda reflects going against the grain of "the times" - or at least, their own spin on the times... the creative ways that they've found to keep it together (that ?uest laid out for us not too long ago)... the creation of motherfucking OKP (and in particular, the Lesson), which has stood as somewhat of a tastemaker for quite some time now..

yea, the roots need a documentary.. like, yesterday

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 01:49 PM

44. "i get why"
In response to Reply # 36

most of us are fans, so we know the story, take it for granted, and not discuss it/give them regular props... but they're still vastly underrated for all the reasons you gave and then some and, yes, a very interesting, unique story

i hope ?uest knows how much we appreciate him and the whole band

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 09:42 PM

37. "Isley Brothers, Michael Jackson, R.Kelly,Bobby Womack"
In response to Reply # 0

Barry White, Stevie Wonder.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

NaijaCandy
Charter member
719 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 12:43 AM

38. "RE: Artists w/ the most interesting career trajectories... "
In response to Reply # 0

I think about this from time to time.

The "Rapper turned" evolution...

Remember Mase? What about Queen Latifah, MC Lyte and Fresh Prince?

I also love a good comeback...

http://www.naijacandy.com
http://www.twitter.com/naijacandy <~ Catch me talking shit about your favourite rapper.

loveluv
Charter member
1038 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 02:46 AM

40. "ice cube"
In response to Reply # 0

now that is a strange journey.

he went from fuck the police, straight gangsta

to

semi-political/serious/introsepective classic solos

to

movies i swear at some point i thought ice cube was be making some deniro type moves.

to

r rated comedy friday

to

pg rated comedies barbershop

to

straight up family/kid comedies

not knocking him, most of what he has done has been quality for it's genre, ceptin some of the later albums.

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 08:41 PM

42. "upp'd"
In response to Reply # 0

just cause

LucidDreamer85
Member since Jun 15th 2009
840 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 06:42 PM

45. "RE: Artists w/ the most interesting career trajectories... "
In response to Reply # 0

Radiohead.

They were always writing beautiful music with cool arrangements but every single album they change their sound up and still manage to sound like themselves and yet not sound anything like themselves at the same time, all the while being able to stay popular and sell millions without having to put out "pop" records.

I'm baffled as to why more artists and groups don't go the radiohead route.

And then I realize it's because of ego.

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 07:27 PM

46. "Rick Ross"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-29-12 07:27 PM by themaddfapper

Wasn't he rapping in throwback jerseys on Slip n Slide records back in the day? Mentioned he knew Kanye before the fame, probably when he was ghosting for Trina and Kanye produced "B R Right"

And then...nothing.

Till one day Im on a run and Cipha plays "the biggest song in Miami right now"

Hustlin.

Oh. Okay. Cool. He'll make some nice ringtone money.

But then it's Trilla.

Maybach Music was cool. Boss was aight. But he ain't gonna be no star.

THEN THIS NIGGA WAS A CO.
Are you kidding me? A proclaimed cocaine kingpin who was a corrections officer?

No way. Finito. Done.

And then he's beefin with Curtis. Kiss of Death. Nigga a C.O. AND he beefin with 50? Game Over(c)Flip

Then some weird shit happened.
Not only did he withstand it, he came out with a DOPE record (Deeper than Rap)
Then he was featuring everywhere
Then Teflon Don
then the Warner Deal

Now he's got MMG. Mill on fire. Diddy Alliance. French Montana under the wing.

hell, he even put out Triple Beam Dreams that makes me interested new Nas material.

his presence pushed Jeezy out a space he was real comfortable in.

his album not dropping probably put Jeezy back in the game, so to speak.

I always used to tell people "He's some kid's Biggie." I hope I don't have to explain what I mean by that.

Now he's on the Shot Caller remix with Diddy and spit over the "Great to Be Here" flip that B.I.G. did.

some mid 30s former CO lying ass coke kingpin.

I'm awed every time I see him that he "made" it.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sun Jan-29-12 07:30 PM

47. "I always found Carcass interesting in that regard..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you hear the borderline unlistenable and sloppy goregrind mess that is their debut and then compare it to the fairly dull and bland 90's metal on their last album, you can not even guess it's the same band (well, the vocals give it away I guess) but if you listen to all their records in order, it makes total sense. I don't know many bands who evolved in such a linear, organic fashion from point A to B.

If wer'e talking roughly the same genre, Death has a somewhat similar career trajectory but I think ''they'' threw more curveballs and became weirder and the many line-up changes means that it feels more disjointed since the musicians Chuck used on the various albums were SO different from eachother stylistically. Still, in terms of songwriting, I see a very linear evolution there too.

Anyway, I always felt this is the best way for bands to evolve even if neither of those two totally suceeded (Carcass went bland and I'd say peaked on their second and third albums whereas Death became a bit too wanky and show-offy at the end)

Lobby The Lesson topic #2652536 Previous topic | Next topic