Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2643096

Subject: "what do you think of when you listen to music?" Previous topic | Next topic
forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 12:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what do you think of when you listen to music?"

are you a visualizer? (like thinking of something akin to music videos in your mind)

or do you compare the music to music of the past and what's currently out in that particular genre?

or do you try and decipher lyrics? (maybe more so for rock and folk than hip-hop since aside from slang, the lyrics are straightforward.)

or do you judge the technical aspects of the song? (like identifying the musical instruments or samples used)

OR all of the above...??!

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Either it speaks to my emotions instantly or i just tune out
Dec 26th 2011
that's cool that you listen to music for your own enjoyment rather
Dec 26th 2011
      I should note that a bad mix will turn me the fuck off completely
Dec 26th 2011
           yeah.
Dec 26th 2011
titties.
Dec 26th 2011
i wasn't talking about what you think of when you're *NOT* listening
Dec 26th 2011
During The Recording of "Living Just Enough For The City";,,,
Dec 26th 2011
that's pretty cool that you do that.
Dec 26th 2011
all of the above, but less attention to lyrics nowadays.
Dec 26th 2011
i think i know what you mean in regards to non-hip-hop music.
Dec 26th 2011
      Thom Yorke doesnt even know what hes saying
Dec 27th 2011
When You Listen To Coil Do You Think Of Music?
Dec 27th 2011
I think about the music...
Dec 27th 2011
GOOD POST!
Dec 27th 2011
I don't think
Feb 06th 2012
i tend to visualize places
Feb 06th 2012
"man, why'd he pick THAT snare?"
Feb 06th 2012
just, you know, whatever
Feb 06th 2012

Former_Day_Saint
Member since Oct 02nd 2009
604 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 03:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Either it speaks to my emotions instantly or i just tune out"
In response to Reply # 0

basically i gotta "feel" it...and it usually happens within 15-20 seconds. i'd say less than 10% of the time does shit 'grow on me'

After 5 or so listens im deciphering the lyrics
After 10 listens im focusing in on the vocal rhythm and how it fits the beat

i dont analyze technical aspects until the 30th listen or so

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 04:30 PM

5. "that's cool that you listen to music for your own enjoyment rather"
In response to Reply # 1

than making it a cerebral exercise. not that analyzing music is a bad thing, but i think i've missed out on alot of good music because it wasn't technically sound.

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Former_Day_Saint
Member since Oct 02nd 2009
604 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 04:33 PM

8. "I should note that a bad mix will turn me the fuck off completely"
In response to Reply # 5

Lil B for example has that ratchet shit i'd fuck with but his mixes, my god, atrocious. I dont ask for Bob Power clarity but damn no song should ever distort at low volume. I like to bang my shit loud.

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 04:38 PM

10. "yeah."
In response to Reply # 8

in general i'm a sucker for music that has good sound quality, but i'm learning to not be quite so picky about what i listen to.

Peter Drucker

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 05:06 AM

2. "titties."
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 04:30 PM

6. "i wasn't talking about what you think of when you're *NOT* listening "
In response to Reply # 2

to music. ;P

Peter Drucker

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 06:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "During The Recording of "Living Just Enough For The City";,,,"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-26-11 06:15 AM by Harlepolis

Either Bob or Cecil would cut the recording right off in the middle when Stevie was going in, I guess to escalate his anger.

I think of stuff like that whenever I listen to a song I'm deeply touched by, what was the artist's state of mind when he/she sang a particular song? Some things though I wish I didn't know about lol like when one of Billie Holiday's pianists commented about how she sang all the way down from her _____, thats why "longing" is a pronounced theme of her music.

What was going on in the world that day - when Prince went in and cut "Erotic City". Or how Minnie felt about singing "Inside My Love", prior to and after recording it. Did Aretha went into a deeper hole of depression when she finished recording "Ain't No Way", or was she relieved she got those emotions outta her system? Among many other stuff.

Basically, all you've mentioned and then some.

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 04:32 PM

7. "that's pretty cool that you do that."
In response to Reply # 3

i would maybe think of how music had evolved and think of what ways the music was innovative, but nothing involving the actual musicians and their creative process.

might have to do some more research into how some of my favorite albums were made.

Peter Drucker

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 09:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "all of the above, but less attention to lyrics nowadays."
In response to Reply # 0

i probably pay the most attention to hip hop lyrics just because they're usually easy to make out, but i usually have a hard time making out lyrics for most of the other music i listen to.

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon Dec-26-11 04:34 PM

9. "i think i know what you mean in regards to non-hip-hop music."
In response to Reply # 4

i used to try to get into Thom Yorke's lyrics, but alot of the times the lyrics' reference points change from line to line so it's hard to stay in his headspace. that and some of the times it's just hard to make out what exact word he's using at a given time in the song.

Peter Drucker

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Tue Dec-27-11 09:07 AM

12. "Thom Yorke doesnt even know what hes saying"
In response to Reply # 9

i make up my own lyrics and sing along

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Dec-27-11 08:25 AM

11. "When You Listen To Coil Do You Think Of Music?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Dec-27-11 09:44 AM

13. "I think about the music..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-27-11 09:45 AM by Jakob Hellberg

I like to follow the structure, lyrics and the drums and so on. I don't really see landscapes or things like that, never have...

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Tue Dec-27-11 09:49 AM

14. "GOOD POST!"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not gon say though, lol

Unprogrammedminds
Member since Jan 23rd 2012
56 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 04:19 AM

15. "I don't think"
In response to Reply # 0

I like to FEEL music, not ANALYZE it.

It's funny because when I was younger, I used to visualize a music video for any song that I listened to.

http://unprogrammedminds.wordpress.com/

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 06:34 PM

16. "i tend to visualize places"
In response to Reply # 0

especially if the music was associated with an important time/place in my life, e.g. college, road trips, etc.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 07:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. ""man, why'd he pick THAT snare?""
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 08:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "just, you know, whatever"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not good at wanting to skip songs, I don't really internalize lyrics, I guess I think about what I like about the beat at first but not in any sort of technical sense, I don't care about gear or technique

I just listen to it, really. I mean I think about it a lot since I write but nothing in particular. I guess mostly I think about it in relation to other things going on either now or then. Sociological sort of, maybe.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

Lobby The Lesson topic #2643096 Previous topic | Next topic