Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2609135

Subject: "Cosmic Slop Appreciation Post" Previous topic | Next topic
MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cosmic Slop Appreciation Post"

as many of you know, i'm not a huge P-Funk fan...but they have some joints that i absolutely love.

Cosmic Slop is one of them. this video is fascinating, disturbing, funky, demented, frightening, innocent and freaky all at the same time. i'm transfixed every time i look at it. this is some wild shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vBDET3kbI

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
song is haunting
Sep 30th 2011
RE: Cosmic Slop Appreciation Post
Sep 30th 2011
RE: Cosmic Slop Appreciation Post
Sep 30th 2011
I can hear my mother call....
Sep 30th 2011
smh @ the danglage in this vid
Sep 30th 2011
they are free.
Sep 30th 2011
I love how they got real serious on you for a minute
Sep 30th 2011
Great song, not too fond of the album...
Sep 30th 2011
George *really* wanted to cross over.
Sep 30th 2011
      it's funny listening to george's attempts to sound *normal*
Sep 30th 2011
           yeah, the Parliaments records were definitely off-kilter
Sep 30th 2011
           yep (edited)
Sep 30th 2011
                hip-hop *was* rebellious... but not 'free'
Sep 30th 2011
           The original the Goose that laid the golden egg is SICK
Sep 30th 2011
                'All Your Goodies Are Gone (The Losers Seat)' was also in that mold.
Sep 30th 2011
                     Yeah, it's a banger...
Sep 30th 2011
always dug this song and it makes think they were channeling
Sep 30th 2011
I only remember this from the Cosby Show episode
Sep 30th 2011

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42755 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "song is haunting"
In response to Reply # 0

the devil singing 'would you like to dance with me? we're doing the cosmic slop'

is a cold ass line

for me it's second to music for my mother in Funkadelic's catalog

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Cosmic Slop Appreciation Post"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw them live with George Clinton in april of 2009 and they did a rocking version of this song. Hampton was killing it on the guitar the entire performance. I paid 75 bucks for that tix at the variety playhouse in atlanta,ga and it was worth it.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Cosmic Slop Appreciation Post"
In response to Reply # 0

this is before music videos were even thought of. everybody in the video being silly and bizarre all in one take. classic.....

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I can hear my mother call...."
In response to Reply # 0

That was the song and album that the whole Funkadelic thang really came together

(even though I still prefer their earlier, more primitive material)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "smh @ the danglage in this vid"
In response to Reply # 4

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:51 AM

6. "they are free. "
In response to Reply # 0

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1197 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 09:52 AM

7. "I love how they got real serious on you for a minute"
In response to Reply # 0

but were still jammin.
everything...the bassline, the hook, the vocal performance...perfecto.
I'm a stan tho.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 10:24 AM

8. "Great song, not too fond of the album..."
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I dig it but I prefer both the earlier records (excluding "America eats its young") as well as the next two; something about the album sounds a bit strange to me, songs like "You can't miss what you can't measure", "Let's make it last" and "Can't stand the strain" sounds almost like late 60's "psychedelic" Temptations. Basically, much of the record sound a bit behind compared with other funk/soul from the era. I think Clinton and Worrell needed people like Eddie Hazel, Bootsy Collins or (later) Junie Morrison to really give the music some vision and style and put it into a more contemporary framework...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 11:23 AM

9. "George *really* wanted to cross over."
In response to Reply # 8

Obviously not "cross over" completely because it's not like they had any intentions of being mainstream dressing like they did... But at least to get airplay on the Black radio stations that played Sly & the Family Stone, Ohio Players, EWF, etc.

Some of the guys in the band were very unhappy with the direction and the move to pander to Black radio but George said "Look, we might as well try to get on Black radio because it ain't like (white) rock radio is playing us anyway!"

It's interesting that you compare the sound to "psychedelic" Temptations because those Tempts records were quite influenced by George (who was still working at Motown at the time).

Joe Corn Mo
15139 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 11:28 AM

10. "it's funny listening to george's attempts to sound *normal*"
In response to Reply # 9

because it never sounds normal.
even when he tries to "act right" he just can't.

even their stuff as the parliaments is... off.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 11:34 AM

11. "yeah, the Parliaments records were definitely off-kilter"
In response to Reply # 10

But even then... there's something that always fascinates me about this particular era in Black music: Like, we've gotten used over the past 30+ years to really freaky, vulgar, base, out-there shit.... so it's not all that shocking to us.

But can you imagine what it must have been like back then? I mean, not just for the audience but even the performers... One minute you're wearing matching tuxedos with your process slick with a gallon of oil and the next you're in a diaper and body paint?

Must have been an incredible jump into the void... how liberating that must have felt!

That's why I've spoken in the past about how despite the claims that there was never a generation gap in Black music until hip-hop arrived, I think Funk was really the line in the sand that cut a new generation off from the one before it.

Joe Corn Mo
15139 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 11:46 AM

12. "yep (edited)"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri Sep-30-11 11:50 AM by Joe Corn Mo

you were looking a band that
lived through the sexual repression/ jim crow/
and shit good happening if you're black era...
a band that started out trying to conform their music to that
type of sensability...

that one day just apparantly stopped give a fuck
entirely aand just blew the door wide open.

then all of a sudden it's WIDE open.

it's infinitely fascniating.

and for the record, i scoff when people say
that hip hop was "rebellious."

the new jacks ain't got shit on p-funk
when it comes to being "free."

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 11:56 AM

13. "hip-hop *was* rebellious... but not 'free'"
In response to Reply # 12

It was quite the opposite of that, in fact...

Hip-hop was the cats that was "cool... but had no groove" that George mocked in "Music For My Mother." And George later said that hip-hoppers (at least by the early 90s) reminded him of Sir Nose, or of white people and suburban Blacks.

Actually, I think I'll agree with you... Hip-hop was not rebellious per se, but it was revolutionary. It upturned the entire Black music status quo but I don't think it even did so deliberately.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 12:05 PM

14. "The original the Goose that laid the golden egg is SICK"
In response to Reply # 10

It's from 68 or something and it sounds really garage-psych soul;supercool shit IMO, they were right up there with Sly Stone but he had albums out whereas they put those songs on b-sides on more commercial singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2qWFNgOq4

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 12:09 PM

15. "'All Your Goodies Are Gone (The Losers Seat)' was also in that mold."
In response to Reply # 14

http://youtu.be/Nox1ch4j8zU

So funny that these early versions were grimier than the re-recorded versions.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 01:01 PM

18. "Yeah, it's a banger..."
In response to Reply # 15

It's hilarious how much stuff George not just re-recorded but also re-contextualized and took snippets/riffs/¤whatever from later in their career. It's almost 4as if he sto4pped writing *songs* after the late 60's-early 70's

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 12:15 PM

16. "always dug this song and it makes think they were channeling"
In response to Reply # 0

curtis Mayfield and the Superfly buzz with the vocals.

oh yeah George Clinton wanted cross over and hits in the worst way and why not? I mean He had aruguably the most talented group of musicians in one band who could play any and everything, but yet they were not structured or presented as structured and it worked, but him being the mastermind wanted to throw things off and it worked.

Clinton wanted to be part of both worlds and yet keep an indy attitude. it worked because though they had big hits they still were able to be seen as doing there own thang and come out of there own bag.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Sep-30-11 12:48 PM

17. "I only remember this from the Cosby Show episode"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2609135 Previous topic | Next topic