Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2606447

Subject: "Sly Stone homeless and living in a van (long swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 10:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sly Stone homeless and living in a van (long swipe)"

and DAMN at the Christmas story

In his heyday, he lived at 783 Bel Air Road, a four-bedroom, 5,432-square-foot Beverly Hills mansion that once belonged to John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas.

The Tudor-style house was tricked out in his signature funky black, white and red color scheme. Shag carpet. Tiffany lamps in every room. A round water bed in the master bedroom. There were parties where Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Miles Davis would drop by, where Etta James would break into “At Last” by the bar.

Just four years ago, he resided in a Napa Valley house so large it could only be described as a “compound,” with a vineyard out back and multiple cars in the driveway.

But those days are gone.

Today, Sly Stone -- one of the greatest figures in soul-music history -- is homeless, his fortune stolen by a lethal combination of excess, substance abuse and financial mismanagement. He lays his head inside a white camper van ironically stamped with the words “Pleasure Way” on the side. The van is parked on a residential street in Crenshaw, the rough Los Angeles neighborhood where “Boyz n the Hood” was set. A retired couple makes sure he eats once a day, and Stone showers at their house. The couple’s son serves as his assistant and driver.

Inside the van, the former mastermind of Sly & the Family Stone, now 68, continues to record music with the help of a laptop computer.

“I like my small camper,” he says, his voice raspy with age and years of hard living. “I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving.”

Stone has been difficult to pin down for years. In the last two decades, he’s become one of music’s most enigmatic figures, bordering on reclusive. You’d be forgiven for assuming he’s dead. He rarely appears in public, and just getting him in a room requires hours or years of detective work, middlemen and, of course, making peace with the likelihood that he just won’t show up.

There was a time when Sly was difficult to escape. Stone, whose real name is Sylvester Stewart, was one of the most visible, flamboyant figures of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

The multiracial, multi-gender band that Stone assembled fused funk, soul and psychedelic rock and became one of the most influential acts ever. The San Fran-based group released a string of hits beginning with the 1968 album “Dance to the Music,” followed by “Everyday People,” “Family Affair,” “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” and “Stand!”

The group’s costumes and showmanship were just as memorable. The members favored giant afros, flashy capes, Beatle boots, neon vests and leopard-print jumpsuits.

Stone learned to sing in church as a child. He grew up in a middle-class, Christian household in Vallejo, Calif., and he and three of his siblings sang in a gospel group. As a young man, he studied music at a local junior college and worked as a soul disc jockey at a local radio station. He played in several bands with his brother, Fred, a guitarist.

The lineup of Sly & the Family Stone, which included Fred and sister Vet, solidified in 1966. The band’s energetic live shows, positive lyrics and diverse membership earned it buzz in the Bay Area, and the Family was signed by CBS Records.

Appearances on shows like “Music Scene” and “The Ed Sullivan Show” soon followed, and in the summer of ’69, at the peak of their power, they managed to turn what should have been a snoozy middle-of-the-night slot at Woodstock into one of the highlights of the festival. As the band began to play, tens of thousands of people creeped out of their sleeping bags to watch. They left the stage with the audience still roaring, “Higher!”

And then the inevitable cracks began to appear. Sly moved to Los Angeles while the rest of the band remained in the Bay Area. He started hanging around with unsavory characters. There were whispers of cocaine and PCP abuse, Mafia connections and guns being pulled on people.

Things got dark. Stone started missing rehearsals and even performances. In 1970, he failed to show up at 26 of the band’s 80 gigs and quickly developed a reputation as mercurial.

“There were these people that say I had to pay a $50,000 bond, so if I’m late, they keep the money, right?” Stone says. “It seemed that people saw to it that I was gonna be late, and I get there, and this promoter ran out and started shouting, ‘You gonna be late again? F--k you! We don’t need that s--t, man!’ I’m thinking about music, and the only time when I can play is when I am happy. So I just leave.”

Sly & the Family Stone began to fall apart. Drummer Greg Errico and bassist Larry Graham (who’s credited with creating the much-imitated slap-bass sound) bolted in the early 1970s, and by 1975 the group called it quits.

Drugs took a tighter hold. One night close to Christmas, Stone headed out to buy presents for his young son, Sylvester, whom he had with Kathy Silva, a model he married on stage at Madison Square Garden in 1974.

“I had about $2,500 to spend,” Stone recalls. “By the time I get , I had spent it all on drugs. Yes, I did. And when I getting close to little Syl’s house, I thought, ‘Oooh, man. I never should have done that.’ When I saw him, I said, ‘I spent your money up on drugs. I spend it up on dope.’ ”

Over the years, Stone has dropped tens of thousands of dollars on his other hobby: automobiles. In his early days, he drove a Jaguar XKE he painted purple. There were Hummers, a London taxi and a beloved Studebaker, which Stone asked to have painted in exchange for this interview. (The Post declined.) A few years ago, he would cruise around LA on a bright-yellow, custom three-wheel chopper. He was known to give cars to friends.

By 1980, the group’s popularity had declined enormously from its heyday. Stone appeared on an episode of “The Mike Douglas Show” and promised, “I’m going to do one more album real quick, and if it’s not instantly platinum, bye-bye.” Sly & the Family Stone’s 10th and final album, 1982’s “Ain’t But the One Way,” flopped.

Stone kept his word and mostly vanished. He was arrested a few times in the 1980s for cocaine possession and performed sporadically, but his days of sold-out shows and magazine covers were gone. A 1987 performance would prove to be his last for 19 years.

He finally reappeared during a 2006 Grammy tribute, shuffling on stage, his posture hunched and his neck bent as a result of a fall he suffered at his home. He arrived midway through a medley of his classic hits, played the keyboard and sang for a few bars, waved, then inexplicably left the stage before the song concluded.

Today, Sly is disheveled, paranoid -- the FBI is after him; his enemies have hired hit men. He refuses to let The Post into his camper, but, ever the showman, poses flamboyantly with a silver military helmet and a Taser in front of his Studebaker.

The singer claims his money troubles escalated in 2009, when his royalty payments stopped flowing after Stone accused his manager, Jerry Goldstein, of fraud. Stone says he was tricked into signing a rotten contract with Goldstein in 1989, giving the manager control of his finances in exchange for a weekly paycheck.

Last year, Stone sued Goldstein for $50 million, alleging fraud and 20 years of stolen royalty payments. (Contributing to the singer’s dire financial situation, he foolishly sold his valuable music-publishing rights to Michael Jackson for a reported $1 million in 1984.)

Goldstein did not return calls seeking comment.

The performer’s cash-flow problems forced him out of his Napa Valley house that he rented with money from a 2007 European tour and into cheap hotels and the van in 2009. Stone hopes to soon put the lawsuit and his other woes behind him.

“My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won’t forget. That’s why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that’s why I am in court. Millions of dollars!” Stone says. “But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I’m tired of all this s--t, man.”

Earlier this year, Stone released an album of his hits re-recorded with other artists. Stone has new songs, but he no longer trusts record companies or managers and is wary about making a deal to release another album. He works constantly on new music, often staying up for two days straight, then sleeping for the next two. (In a nice piece of symmetry, some of his 1971 album, “There’s a Riot Goin’ On,” was recorded in a Winnebago.) He has hundreds of new tracks recorded in his van that he keeps for himself. For now, at least.

“But, with new energy, it will feel good to step on stage,” he says. “I see all the guys playing those old songs. Let these guys know, like Lady Gaga, let me come in, just let me come in and pay me if you like it.”

William Alkema is the director of the Sly & the Family Stone documentary, “Dance to the Music,” to be re-released this year.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this article has to be old right.....
Sep 25th 2011
It mentions the 07 european tour...
Sep 25th 2011
      *and* an album that *did* come out a few weeks ago
Sep 25th 2011
I'm still trying to understand why you're hiding the link.
Sep 25th 2011
probably because it's old
Sep 25th 2011
It's from today's New York Post
Sep 25th 2011
Sad as this is, I want to know one thing....
Sep 25th 2011
as old as this morning...
Sep 25th 2011
      Sad...
Sep 25th 2011
      then that's not very old
Sep 25th 2011
I honestly didn't know it was that damn big of a deal
Sep 25th 2011
      shut yo ass up and link the dam thang, woman!!
Sep 25th 2011
           I haychu Jody!
Sep 25th 2011
fuggit: QUESTO, MAKE SLY A ROOTS MEMBER!
Sep 25th 2011
RE: fuggit: QUESTO, MAKE SLY A ROOTS MEMBER!
Sep 25th 2011
Make excellent liner notes and poasts.
Sep 25th 2011
haha, those were the days!
Sep 25th 2011
      Track 12: Sly cray. The end.
Sep 26th 2011
a lot of that description
Sep 25th 2011
did i say quest should be his psychiatrist? no?
Sep 25th 2011
      But why would he want someone in his band
Sep 26th 2011
uh they already dealt with Malik B think they want to deal with Sly
Sep 25th 2011
      i like Malik B, but Sly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, lol.
Sep 25th 2011
           lol of course but he is fam and crazy
Sep 26th 2011
all that info...i hope they ain't setting Sly up to get got.
Sep 25th 2011
RE: all that info...i hope they ain't setting Sly up to get got.
Sep 25th 2011
EXACTLY!!!
Sep 25th 2011
WHO IS DRIVING THE STUDEBAKER ???
Sep 25th 2011
This Is The Part That Gets Me
Sep 25th 2011
RE: This Is The Part That Gets Me
Sep 25th 2011
Sep 25th 2011
Sep 25th 2011
           that's called being a musician
Sep 26th 2011
                RE: that's called being a musician
Sep 26th 2011
Wild composer
Sep 25th 2011
Well, in that documentary that came out, not too long ago............
Sep 25th 2011
where can one view this documentary?
Sep 25th 2011
      I think it is on the festival circuit, don't know if it will be on DVD
Sep 25th 2011
           That's the name of it, Coming Back For More................................
Sep 26th 2011
why'd he let them take a photo of his van? Plus print his location?
Sep 25th 2011
RE: Sly Stone homeless and living in a van (long swipe)
Sep 25th 2011
i feel this is related to MJ dying...
Sep 25th 2011
um sounds like micheal raped him of his catalog
Sep 25th 2011
RE: um sounds like micheal raped him of his catalog
Sep 26th 2011
not even close and the truth is nobody cared about Sly's publishing
Sep 26th 2011
      lmao my dude maxxx burnin it down like usual
Sep 27th 2011
MJ made sure he had cash flow coming in as he did with Little Richard
Sep 26th 2011
but the industry could count on Steven Tyler to a degree
Sep 26th 2011
      i agree with you, however Tyler played ball as well
Sep 26th 2011
           Jesse was supposed to do an entire album with him after
Sep 26th 2011
                word was that sly didn't think much of "Crazzy"
Sep 26th 2011
yep, I said the same thing in GD.
Sep 26th 2011
so basically he let drugs ruin his life?
Sep 25th 2011
let?
Sep 26th 2011
Made this skit come to mind :/
Sep 26th 2011
I feel really wrong for thinking about that too. ;/
Sep 26th 2011
      lol
Sep 26th 2011
wow! pcp is a powerful drug.
Sep 26th 2011
So no more trolling allowed
Sep 26th 2011
wat
Sep 26th 2011
      Yadgyu
Sep 26th 2011
I just want to make sure you ALL understand
Sep 26th 2011
hyperbole much?
Sep 26th 2011
damn...CBS news out here bout to have a story about this..
Sep 26th 2011
I see Inside Edition will be doing a feature on this tomorrow. SMH.
Sep 26th 2011
that studebaker is gonna be freshly painted, watch
Sep 26th 2011
      nope, wasn't painted. They are sitting on interview footage with him
Sep 27th 2011
There's a report floating around that he is NOT homeless
Sep 27th 2011
^^^^^ *swipe*
Sep 28th 2011

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this article has to be old right....."
In response to Reply # 0

for one it refers to the duets album coming out "earlier this year"

and it leaves his 2006 grammy performace as his last performances when he went on a World Tour after that...

CherNic
37156 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 02:05 PM

10. "It mentions the 07 european tour..."
In response to Reply # 1

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 02:07 PM

12. "*and* an album that *did* come out a few weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 10

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm still trying to understand why you're hiding the link."
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "probably because it's old"
In response to Reply # 2

>

---------------------------------
'I love to watch him dance. It's almost like watching a cat clean itself or something.'(c) Drugs regarding Prince

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "It's from today's New York Post"
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_rise_and_fall_of_sly_stone_qijyKoYzmAqer1PA0YogSJ

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 12:15 PM

7. "Sad as this is, I want to know one thing...."
In response to Reply # 4

Who is driving the two vehicles ?

Has he got a PA who drives the van, while he styles it in the Studebaker ?

What the blood claaat ???

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:47 AM

5. "as old as this morning..."
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_rise_and_fall_of_sly_stone_qijyKoYzmAqer1PA0YogSJ

but yeah, swipes without attribution are one of the worst things about this site because it encourages people not to consider the source

Ron
Member since Dec 29th 2008
207 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:55 AM

6. "Sad..."
In response to Reply # 5
Sun Sep-25-11 11:58 AM by Ron

They could've kept those pics

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 01:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "then that's not very old"
In response to Reply # 5

---------------------------------
'I love to watch him dance. It's almost like watching a cat clean itself or something.'(c) Drugs regarding Prince

CherNic
37156 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 02:05 PM

11. "I honestly didn't know it was that damn big of a deal"
In response to Reply # 2

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 07:08 PM

28. "shut yo ass up and link the dam thang, woman!!"
In response to Reply # 11

this OKP! you know how dis shit go!!

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

CherNic
37156 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 10:54 PM

38. "I haychu Jody!"
In response to Reply # 28

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44828 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 12:33 PM

8. "fuggit: QUESTO, MAKE SLY A ROOTS MEMBER! "
In response to Reply # 0

sorry but that shit would be bananas. it's a good idea.

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 02:36 PM

13. "RE: fuggit: QUESTO, MAKE SLY A ROOTS MEMBER! "
In response to Reply # 8

>sorry but that shit would be bananas. it's a good idea.

no it isnt..a good idea is for Sly to get professional help from an m.d./psychiatrist

the fuck 2uest gonna do?

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 03:21 PM

14. "Make excellent liner notes and poasts."
In response to Reply # 13

>>sorry but that shit would be bananas. it's a good idea.
>
>no it isnt..a good idea is for Sly to get professional help
>from an m.d./psychiatrist
>
>
>the fuck 2uest gonna do?

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:01 PM

17. "haha, those were the days!"
In response to Reply # 14

*wipes away a tear*

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 06:33 AM

47. "Track 12: Sly cray. The end."
In response to Reply # 17

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

lakai336
Member since Aug 17th 2009
1306 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:09 PM

19. "a lot of that description"

does fit the bill for someone with a serious mental disorder, sad times indeed.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44828 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:57 PM

25. "did i say quest should be his psychiatrist? no? "

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 07:34 AM

48. "But why would he want someone in his band"
In response to Reply # 25

who has a longstanding reputation for being temperamental, unreliable, missing shows and unabashedly abusing drugs?

Malik B was kicked out for less than that.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 05:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "uh they already dealt with Malik B think they want to deal with Sly"
In response to Reply # 8

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

MISTA MONOTONE
58563 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 07:07 PM

27. "i like Malik B, but Sly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, lol."
In response to Reply # 26

latest mixtape:

mistamonotone - taboo

@mistamonotone

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 06:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
46. "lol of course but he is fam and crazy"
In response to Reply # 27

I don't think Quest who knows for running a tight ship would take more than 2 days with sly.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

MISTA MONOTONE
58563 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 03:56 PM

16. "all that info...i hope they ain't setting Sly up to get got."
In response to Reply # 0

i mean...not on purpose, but what kinda sense does it make to show his actual vehicle(/house)? people are crazy. John Lennon's killer was a "fan".

i mean, sure he IS parked in Compton, but c'mon.

latest mixtape:

mistamonotone - taboo

@mistamonotone

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:20 PM

21. "RE: all that info...i hope they ain't setting Sly up to get got."
In response to Reply # 16

>i mean...not on purpose, but what kinda sense does it make to
>show his actual vehicle(/house)? people are crazy. John
>Lennon's killer was a "fan".
>
>i mean, sure he IS parked in Compton, but c'mon.

with all his works/songs inside....

this is just a (continued) tragedy waiting to happen

and he is seemingly begging to have folks get at him for work? Uh...haven't his previous friends given him ample chances at getting himself together and such?

dude needs rehab and medical attention before any music biz happenings

MISTA MONOTONE
58563 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 07:13 PM

30. "EXACTLY!!!"
In response to Reply # 21

>with all his works/songs inside....
>
>this is just a (continued) tragedy waiting to happen

not only is his entire living area exposed, folks know exactly what he has in it. wtf, man?

>and he is seemingly begging to have folks get at him for work?
>Uh...haven't his previous friends given him ample chances at
>getting himself together and such?

certainly.

>dude needs rehab and medical attention before any music biz
>happenings

no doubt. i have the feeling this won't end well. but then again, George Clinton is still alive and working. Keith Richards too. *shrugs*

latest mixtape:

mistamonotone - taboo

@mistamonotone

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 08:22 PM

33. "WHO IS DRIVING THE STUDEBAKER ???"
In response to Reply # 16

He can't be rolling in both, at the same time.

Anyway, this is a sad sad, fucked up mess.

What the blood claaat ???

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:19 PM

20. "This Is The Part That Gets Me"
In response to Reply # 0

>Today, Sly is disheveled, paranoid -- the FBI
>is after him; his enemies have hired hit men.

Damn chief what in the hell did he do, I can understand if the IRS was after him but the FBI, he must have some mafia connections he's keeping tight lipped about and they want that info.

>Last year, Stone sued Goldstein for $50 million,
>alleging fraud and 20 years of stolen royalty payments.
>(Contributing to the singer’s dire financial situation,
>he foolishly sold his valuable music-publishing rights
>to Michael Jackson for a reported $1 million in 1984.)

This seems to be just another situation among many on his part for mad years, I don't feel to sad for him cause he obviously hasn't learned from his mistakes yet; but he seems willingly to want to still perform and play, I think he needs to get in touch with some of his old school musicians instead of the new kats if he wants some studio session and touring gigs.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:38 PM

23. "RE: This Is The Part That Gets Me"
In response to Reply # 20
Sun Sep-25-11 04:41 PM by rdhull

>>Today, Sly is disheveled, paranoid -- the FBI
>>is after him; his enemies have hired hit men.
>
>Damn chief what in the hell did he do, I can understand if the
>IRS was after him but the FBI, he must have some mafia
>connections he's keeping tight lipped about and they want that
>info.

Im thinking thats jus a 'spin' on what the writer is saying that Sly alleges. I.e. he is so paranoid he thinks that all these folks is after him.Its not true. Sly is suffering from (substance induced?) paranoia...probably a comorbid symptom of a larger mental illness.

>>Last year, Stone sued Goldstein for $50 million,
>>alleging fraud and 20 years of stolen royalty payments.
>>(Contributing to the singer’s dire financial situation,
>>he foolishly sold his valuable music-publishing rights
>>to Michael Jackson for a reported $1 million in 1984.)
>
>This seems to be just another situation among many on his part
>for mad years, I don't feel to sad for him cause he obviously
>hasn't learned from his mistakes yet; but he seems willingly
>to want to still perform and play, I think he needs to get in
>touch with some of his old school musicians instead of the new
>kats if he wants some studio session and touring gigs.

He is disconnected from reality and needs attention. Not business opportunities as he will continue to make the same ill decisions. Im quite sure his old school friends have attempted to help Sly time and time again over decades. But until he gets professional help and medication...he is destined to die this way. He is basically a homeless man due to schizophrenia most likely...just like you see every now and then in the big cities..dishevelled, paranoid etc..only thing is , he was a legend in the 60's and 70's. Mental illness can happen to anybody.

Same situation would have happened to Brian Wilson (and kind of did), but finally he got some decent handlers ho were more concerned with his mental health and stability. And I'm not talking about that unethical "Dr" Landy either.

Where the fuck is NARAS in all of this?

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 09:41 PM

36. "RE: This Is The Part That Gets Me"
In response to Reply # 23

>>>Today, Sly is disheveled, paranoid -- the FBI
>>>is after him; his enemies have hired hit men.

From what the article mentioned about him working for two days and then crashing, it sounds like he has bipolar disorder or at the very least is hypomanic which is a form of mania (moving from agitation and activity back to normal behavior). Like you said tho, unless he gets help he's just at the mercy of his illness.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 09:55 PM

37. "RE: This Is The Part That Gets Me"
In response to Reply # 36

>>>>Today, Sly is disheveled, paranoid -- the FBI
>>>>is after him; his enemies have hired hit men.
>
>From what the article mentioned about him working for two days
>and then crashing, it sounds like he has bipolar disorder or
>at the very least is hypomanic which is a form of mania
>(moving from agitation and activity back to normal behavior).
>Like you said tho, unless he gets help he's just at the mercy
>of his illness.

bipolar II or schizoaffective

__Spread__
Member since Sep 08th 2009
1268 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 12:06 PM

56. "that's called being a musician"
In response to Reply # 36

damn...I mean I feel for him and sure he prolly needs some mental help but damn, a mufucka can't stay up for 2 days working on music no more and not be crazy?
you sleep for two days after cuz you're tired...I think you might be reaching just trying to diagnose a mufucka...
You think Sly was EVER a normal dude?
This is a sad article and the brother needs some help obviously but the armchair psychiatry shit is a little out of hand around here sometimes...

~-~-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://slickshoes.bandcamp.com
http://thephilosophy.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/spread-1
http://soundcloud.com/spreaducation
http://twitter.com/Spready4DaWorld

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 12:54 PM

59. "RE: that's called being a musician"
In response to Reply # 56

>damn...I mean I feel for him and sure he prolly needs some
>mental help but damn, a mufucka can't stay up for 2 days
>working on music no more and not be crazy?
> you sleep for two days after cuz you're tired...I think you
>might be reaching just trying to diagnose a mufucka...
>You think Sly was EVER a normal dude?
>This is a sad article and the brother needs some help
>obviously but the armchair psychiatry shit is a little out of
>hand around here sometimes...

Im not an armchair one.

And thats part of the problem..everyone around him for decades probably never considered that he needed mental health aid...not saying that his drug issue didnt need to be taken care of but the signs are quite obvious.

I never or rarely see anythng concerning mental health regarding artists discussed in The Lesson.

Nathaniel
Charter member
9962 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:34 PM

22. "Wild composer"
In response to Reply # 0

A favorite of my pops, among many others, this dude had a fantastic vision and sound for himself, but from the outside lookin' in..all the artists who did financially well in the 70's/80's..were as well priivy to the grooviest and most addictive forms of the drugs of their choice..

When dude jumped out at The Grammys looking like the crypt keeper in a golden tailored somethin', I was like "white lady"..

But maybe it's more, the effect of industry, the pressure of being a trendsetter?

Peace to Sly Stone, and what happens when he double parks the winnie, do the master tapes get confiscated?, how does he mix?

King James Bible states in (1st Corinthians 14:8-9)-"..Again, If the trumpet does NOT sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?..So it is with you."

For an audible glimpse of my sound, click here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/9549455779abe02a/

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 04:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
24. "Well, in that documentary that came out, not too long ago............"
In response to Reply # 0

.................i kinda got the feeling he was living in Motels and vans.

silk.later Reunion radio with Old P. & Silk http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

"i'm talking about *Balls Deep*....In Love (c)Cleveland Jr.

He was cultivating a fine nigga farm (c)Goldmind.

MISTA MONOTONE
58563 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 07:10 PM

29. "where can one view this documentary?"
In response to Reply # 24

latest mixtape:

mistamonotone - taboo

@mistamonotone

mr_graff
Member since Jan 25th 2006
4147 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 08:10 PM

32. "I think it is on the festival circuit, don't know if it will be on DVD"
In response to Reply # 29
Sun Sep-25-11 08:10 PM by mr_graff

The website is here: http://www.slystonedocumentary.com/

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
53. "That's the name of it, Coming Back For More................................"
In response to Reply # 32

>The website is here: http://www.slystonedocumentary.com/
>

I saw it at an small art house movie theater. They were showing it for one day(i don't know why they weren't showing for a week, at least). It was kinda depressing and it made me angry, to see the situation he was in. But, it was good to hear him talk.

silk.later Reunion radio with Old P. & Silk http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

"i'm talking about *Balls Deep*....In Love (c)Cleveland Jr.

He was cultivating a fine nigga farm (c)Goldmind.

mr_graff
4147 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 08:05 PM

31. "why'd he let them take a photo of his van? Plus print his location? "
In response to Reply # 0

If he is truly paranoid that article made it easier for his "enemies" to track him down.

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 09:17 PM

34. "RE: Sly Stone homeless and living in a van (long swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Even with the arc his life has taken, can't help but find this incredibly depressing. No shortage of examples, but still jarring and tragic that person can swing so completely from one extreme to the other. I hope he finds peace.

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 09:27 PM

35. "i feel this is related to MJ dying..."
In response to Reply # 0

from what i understand,
mike jackson was looking out for sly...
not that he GAVE sly the rights to his music (b/c sly would've sold them for crack)
but he did make sure sly was taken care of.

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:07 PM

40. "um sounds like micheal raped him of his catalog"
In response to Reply # 35

the least he could do is keep the old man out of a cardboard box

~~~~~~

MISTA MONOTONE
58563 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 01:50 AM

42. "RE: um sounds like micheal raped him of his catalog"
In response to Reply # 40

>the least he could do is keep the old man out of a cardboard
>box

he was saying that Mike was making sure that he was cared for while he was alive. now that he's gone, nobody is looking out for him like that.

that amount that he got his publishing for is WHOA though. Mike was shrewd, gotdamb.

latest mixtape:

mistamonotone - taboo

@mistamonotone

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 02:44 AM

44. "not even close and the truth is nobody cared about Sly's publishing"
In response to Reply # 40

like they did the Beatles. believe me being around back then nobody thought twice when MJ got the publishing courtesy of John Branica one half of the MJ estate now.

Sly's catelog was there for the take and nobody tripped on it. the beatles catelog made MJ come off like Nat Turner at Massa's house, but when MJ got Sly Stone's catelog that was like somebody taking your uno cards when you were in the kitchen making kool aid nobody cared.

MJ made sure sly was taken care of and if not for MJ i doubt Sly would have gotten as much loot as he did because lets remember thanks to MJ allowing the songs to be used for commericals, etc.. it gave those songs a whole new audience and more revenue.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Sep-27-11 05:37 PM

71. "lmao my dude maxxx burnin it down like usual"
In response to Reply # 44

funny and on point at once.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 01:40 AM

41. "MJ made sure he had cash flow coming in as he did with Little Richard"

Sly burned alot of bridges, but also as a Outspoken Black Man he ain't been given another chance in the light again and I say this because and with all due respect nobody can tell me that Steven Tyler can't relate to Sly Stone's demons and he still gets 12-20 chances and coming back.

SLy is a cat that is right about the record companys,etc..

they didn't care about his legacy like they should and ought to.

this man changed the course of music and gets hardly ever talked about.

he has his demons, etc.. but something ouught to be done to keep him straight.

his music means too much.

Michael Jackson had his catelog set up nicely and the commericals helped Sly out a whole lot.

the manager flipped on Sly but MJ made sure Sly got some loot always.

Sly still gets royalitys. he said something about it in a interview a few years back.

MJ took care of the artists he got catelog from. made sure Little Richard was taken care of and Sly.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 11:49 AM

54. "but the industry could count on Steven Tyler to a degree"
In response to Reply # 41

>Sly burned alot of bridges, but also as a Outspoken Black Man
>he ain't been given another chance in the light again and I
>say this because and with all due respect nobody can tell me
>that Steven Tyler can't relate to Sly Stone's demons and he
>still gets 12-20 chances and coming back.
>
>SLy is a cat that is right about the record companys,etc..
>
>they didn't care about his legacy like they should and ought
>to.
>
>this man changed the course of music and gets hardly ever
>talked about.
>
>he has his demons, etc.. but something ouught to be done to
>keep him straight.
>
>his music means too much.
>
>Michael Jackson had his catelog set up nicely and the
>commericals helped Sly out a whole lot.
>
>the manager flipped on Sly but MJ made sure Sly got some loot
>always.
>
>Sly still gets royalitys. he said something about it in a
>interview a few years back.
>
>MJ took care of the artists he got catelog from. made sure
>Little Richard was taken care of and Sly.

but unfortunately Sly has been completely unreliable in terms of showing up and coming threw for 30 some years.

Sly has a serious problem and has had one for decades.

He has numerous ways he could make money today....numerous ways he could get the respect he deserves. But it requires him to come through, and nobody should have confidence he would do that based on his past, and his ongoing issues.

Look at what Frank Zappa checking for Johnny Guitar Watson did for JGW. You can't do that with Sly because you can't count on him to show up, or come through when he needs to.

unfortunately.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 02:39 PM

60. "i agree with you, however Tyler played ball as well"
In response to Reply # 54

remember sly did Crazy with Jesse Johnson in 86 as Tyler and perry did Walk this way with RUn DMC, but Tyler also did his shows and also wanted that light back, Sly on the other hand was tired and is tired of the jive and politics and I can't blame him there.

the other stuff is clearly his choice. i just wish the Brother a Healthy life regardless if he makes another song or not.

Save a Brother, because seeing Brothers dying before there time is too much ya know?

good call on Zappa and JGW.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 04:46 PM

62. "Jesse was supposed to do an entire album with him after"
In response to Reply # 60

Crazay was such a success...

got to the point where they had studio time booked and all..

Sly never showed up..

not sure jesse ever heard from or talked to him again after that.

I'm sure there are tons of stories like that..

it's sad because if you look at clips from the 2006 euro tour....Sly can still sing and play well enough to put on an entertaining show.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 07:38 PM

66. "word was that sly didn't think much of "Crazzy""
In response to Reply # 62

and he abadoned that idea with quickness instead working with the Bar Kays and earth wind and fire. poping out in rare places when he personally wanted to be heard.

always elusive and on his own time.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 07:35 AM

49. "yep, I said the same thing in GD."

I actually thought about it the other day: "Is MJ's estate still taking care of Sly now that MJ's gone?"

Because I don't think it was a contractual thing... Mike took care of Sly because he *wanted* to.

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sun Sep-25-11 11:04 PM

39. "so basically he let drugs ruin his life?"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~

MISTA MONOTONE
58563 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 01:51 AM

43. "let?"
In response to Reply # 39

latest mixtape:

mistamonotone - taboo

@mistamonotone

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 02:58 AM

45. "Made this skit come to mind :/"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 11:21 AM

51. "I feel really wrong for thinking about that too. ;/"
In response to Reply # 45

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 12:40 PM

58. "lol"
In response to Reply # 51

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 10:12 AM

50. "wow! pcp is a powerful drug."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

lakai336
1306 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 11:23 AM

52. "So no more trolling allowed"
In response to Reply # 0

I see.

You know it is possible to see the sadness in a situation and feel genuinely bad for the guy while still laughing at someone's cleary BS trying to be funny answer.

I guess some artists fall into a "too legendary" category or something so we can't run that kind of stuff?

No big deal, just caught me off guard, usually this is a fairly uncensored environment.

If it's not adding to the discussion and is clearly meant to get people going and it's removed....well then...can't say you aren't doing your job.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 12:33 PM

57. "wat"
In response to Reply # 52

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

lakai336
1306 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 05:31 PM

63. "Yadgyu"
In response to Reply # 57

or however that name goes, made one of his usual funny troll remarks on this post.

Said something like you guys lied and said he's homeless...he lives in a van.

I thought it was funny as hell.

Disappeared, don't know if he did it or whether it was deemed too disprectful or irrelevant and pulled.

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 12:05 PM

55. "I just want to make sure you ALL understand"
In response to Reply # 0

that Michael Joseph Jackson was the most diabolical business man of all time. . . ALL TIME!!!

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 02:41 PM

61. "hyperbole much?"
In response to Reply # 55
Mon Sep-26-11 02:47 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 06:55 PM

65. "damn...CBS news out here bout to have a story about this.."
In response to Reply # 0

think they gonna interview Sly...

mr_graff
4147 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 08:09 PM

67. "I see Inside Edition will be doing a feature on this tomorrow. SMH."
In response to Reply # 0

The commercial I saw had additional footage of the van, looks like they interviewed him.

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Sep-26-11 11:05 PM

68. "that studebaker is gonna be freshly painted, watch"
In response to Reply # 67

mr_graff
4147 posts
Tue Sep-27-11 05:15 PM

69. "nope, wasn't painted. They are sitting on interview footage with him"
In response to Reply # 68

They played a brief part with Sly saying something to the effect of "I should have kept doing music," but it seems obvious they had a more substantial conversation.

I hope the full interview is broadcast some day.

They also had anonymous quotes from people in the neighborhood saying they wish he would leave. On Facebook someone apparently revealed the name of the family whose house he's parked in front of.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Sep-27-11 05:35 PM

70. "There's a report floating around that he is NOT homeless"
In response to Reply # 0

That he got a spot rented for him, four-bedroom joint, and just prefers to let the sound of his own wheels drive him crazy.

I dunno but either way the dude is too talented to waste away on some bullshit. Saw two shows he and the fam did on that lil tour (Anaheim and LA), shit was hot azz fiyah, they would easily be one of the ten best live acts today if they did it full-time. Even the big ass acts--Waters, the Stones, EWF--I've seen them all and I enjoyed the Sly show much more.

For people in here talking about rehab and shit, I am sorry, FOH, some people are what they are. He is not going to change but he still has enough to offer that he should be chipping into music, even if it's on his own weird ass terms.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Wed Sep-28-11 04:54 PM

72. "^^^^^ *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 70

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2011/09/28/sly-stone-is-not-homeless/

COMING SOON via Windimoto Music:
DVS Jackson, Esq. - DVS for Alderman

Lobby The Lesson topic #2606447 Previous topic | Next topic