Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2605317

Subject: "Can we talk about Tori Amos for a sec?" Previous topic | Next topic
boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can we talk about Tori Amos for a sec?"

first thing first:
here she is @ Artist Den

http://www.hulu.com/watch/279528/live-from-the-artists-den-tori-amos

when i first have
seen her live
in support of
the choirgirl

her and the piano
incredible sexy
live in concert

little earthquakes
cd
still gives me chills
especially
me and a gun

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
sure
Sep 22nd 2011
i've had 'China' running through my head for weeks.
Sep 22nd 2011
my fav artist of all time, i have tickets to see her in
Sep 22nd 2011
how was the show?
Feb 06th 2012
      it was great
Feb 06th 2012
I liked Little Earthquakes in high school/college
Feb 06th 2012
when i first heard them, i thought BFP > UTP > LE
Feb 06th 2012
      yeah, i can't pick a favorite among the first 4
Feb 06th 2012
      I actually don't think it had anything to do
Feb 06th 2012
I used to be really into her.
Feb 06th 2012
RE: I used to be really into her.
Apr 17th 2012
"Gold Dust" is maybe the GOAT tori song to me
Apr 17th 2012
      scarlet's walk
Apr 17th 2012
      "gold dust" is one of the two i was referring to
Apr 17th 2012
           i feel redeemed
Apr 17th 2012
                RE: i feel redeemed
Apr 17th 2012
She isn't hot any more
Apr 17th 2012
      Yeah, she really fucked up her face
Sep 27th 2012
She's on of my favorites of all time
Apr 18th 2012
in their differences from the originals, these new renditions illustrate
Sep 27th 2012
Night of the Hunters though?
Sep 27th 2012
      RE: Night of the Hunters though?
Sep 27th 2012
           AYO SON!!! FUCKING KIDS!!! n/m
Sep 27th 2012

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "sure"
In response to Reply # 0

>first thing first:
>here she is @ Artist Den
>
>http://www.hulu.com/watch/279528/live-from-the-artists-den-tori-amos

thanks.

she's touring this fall, too. maybe i'll finally see her.

>little earthquakes
>cd
>still gives me chills

me, too.

new album out this week, stream here:
http://www.npr.org/2011/09/11/140261371/first-listen-tori-amos-night-of-hunters

i've only heard a couple songs, but so far so good. i picked it up last night.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 12:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i've had 'China' running through my head for weeks."
In response to Reply # 0

1 of my college roommates introduced me to Tori's stuff way back in the wayback...the late 90s. i liked much of it. i haven't kept up w/her more than casually. i'd go see her in concert, i think. even though i wouldn't know most of the songs. the video clips i've seen are pretty good.

fuck you.

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 01:53 PM

3. "my fav artist of all time, i have tickets to see her in "
In response to Reply # 0

december

i haven't really absorbed too much after scarlet's walk, but have listened at least a few times to i think most everything but the beekeeper, i'll have to peep the new one

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 10:18 AM

4. "how was the show?"
In response to Reply # 3

i regret not going

'scarlet's walk' is great

amplifya7
2989 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 11:24 AM

6. "it was great"
In response to Reply # 4

she did a mix of the best songs from the new album, some 'classic' songs from the first 4-5 albums, and a few songs I didn't recognize..she had a string quartet with her that played on maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the songs

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 10:25 AM

5. "I liked Little Earthquakes in high school/college"
In response to Reply # 0

It is a very appealing album especially at a kind of emotional age, and it was great for getting in good with liberal arts chicks.

Never really kept with her though. I remember hearing "Under the Pink" and thinking it was decent but not as good. Then hearing the next one and thinking it wasn't as good as either of the ones before it. After that I just assumed she was trending downward and never checked for her - plus I was just getting too old and disinterested in that kind of music to really want to listen, anyway. Every so often I'll hear some stuff from "Little Earthquakes" and get a serious jolt of nostalgia though.

--

amplifya7
2989 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 11:25 AM

7. "when i first heard them, i thought BFP > UTP > LE"
In response to Reply # 5

and that she was getting better and better
now i like them all equal depending on my mood

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 11:32 AM

8. "yeah, i can't pick a favorite among the first 4"
In response to Reply # 7

it really depends on my mood as well, but they're all incredible

dalecooper
3164 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 11:58 AM

9. "I actually don't think it had anything to do"
In response to Reply # 7

with the actual quality of her albums at the time - I think I was just growing out of her. Super-emo music did nothing for me by the time I was a senior in college (about 1995-96), I was way into jazz, punk and metal by then.

--

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 02:53 PM

10. "I used to be really into her."
In response to Reply # 0

I liked Under the Pink and Boys for Pele the most. BFP was such a surreal album to me at the time.

I think Scarlet's walk was the last album I heard. Odd I stopped listening to her b/c I really dug that album.

Even though I see this is an old post, I'm inspired to catch up with her now, esp that Night of the Hunters album.

I still think she's hot as fuck, too. I'd do bad things to that woman.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 08:03 AM

11. "RE: I used to be really into her."
In response to Reply # 10

>I think Scarlet's walk was the last album I heard. Odd I
>stopped listening to her b/c I really dug that album.

i stopped after 'strange little girls.' i thought, even though it wasn't considered an "official" album per se, that the studio disc of 'to venus and back' was underwhelming even though it had some good songs, so when she put out that covers album that was even more disappointing, i stopped following her. at the time/that age, i had so much other good music that was coming out regularly or i was discovering that it was nothing for me to do that. i did hear some songs from 'scarlet,' including what are probably still my 2 favorites, but never the whole album until this year. i had missed out on a masterpiece. this would have easily made my top 50 of the decade list. even the songs i'd been familiar with for the last 9 years are so much better now for me. i like the album more each time i listen. the funny thing is that i had bought 'hunter' last year because i really liked one of the singles released in advance of the release, which was significant because i never expected her to release new music that would impress me like that song did, and this past winter i finally made time to play it in my normal routine of following along in the lyric booklet and listening uninterrupted without distraction when i realized one song in that i should listen to 'scarlet' first. i'm glad i did. when this leaves rotation, i'll give the new album a whirl, although i suspect it's probably more of a cold weather album, so it could be a while.

amplifya7
2989 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 08:12 AM

12. ""Gold Dust" is maybe the GOAT tori song to me"
In response to Reply # 11

but i never thought scarlet's walk held up against the first 4
i'll listen to it a bunch more in the near future

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 08:35 AM

14. "scarlet's walk"
In response to Reply # 12

was just way too long without enough attention to sequencing... on their own, most of those tracks are great, but chained together it was a bit much.

every time I think I'm done with her, something brings me back... I only listened to that hunters album twice but really enjoyed it, I need to buy an actual copy and sit down with it

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 08:42 AM

15. ""gold dust" is one of the two i was referring to"
In response to Reply # 12

i feel odd beams of pride listening since that's the "md/dc" song, and it refers, among other things, to her memories growing up in the urrea... but yeah, that song really touches me.

>but i never thought scarlet's walk held up against the first
>4
>i'll listen to it a bunch more in the near future

i can easily see in a few years time my elevating it to that status, it's just that those 4 have so many more listens on it, and i was listening when they were new.

until recently, i was frustrated with every new tori album being a "concept" album in the last decade, starting with 'strange little girls.' i'm not saying it's a bad concept (covering male songs from a female perspective), but the selection and execution were a little lackluster IMO. besides the lead single, "a sorta fairytale," for which the video deceived me into thinking she had gone adult contemporary (i listen to this song completely differently now than the few times i heard it as a single back then), 'scarlet' put me off because it seemed to be about some character, and every song was about a different part of the country. it seemed gimmicky enough that i didn't bother with it, although i did buy, watch, and greatly enjoy her welcome to sunny florida live dvd when it was released. now that i've listened to 'scarlet,' i see that the "gimmick" is what makes it so great and inspired some of her best work, even if it's filtered through "scarlet." there is such depth on this album. i mentioned before my routine listening to albums for the first time, particularly ones i buy that have lyric booklets. besides following along with the lyrics, the map illustrating what part of the country each song corresponds to and listening to the album as the story of a girl's road trip (and emotional journey) got me hooked immediately. i just completely "got" what she was conveying about naivite, desperation, youth, freedom, being taken advantage of, self-expression, everything.

still, i doubt i will come to appreciate the subsequent albums as much. nothing i heard from 'the beekeeper' ever grabbed me. tori always used different keyboard instruments and not just her famous piano, but i understood this to be an album heavily using organ, which just didn't entice me. then there's 'american doll posse.' some of the songs i heard from this album really put me off. again, the songs are conceptual, she's in character, but purely on a musical level, it just didn't pull me in at all. i'd love to be wrong.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 09:10 AM

16. "i feel redeemed"
In response to Reply # 15

>i
>see that the "gimmick" is what makes it so great and inspired
>some of her best work, even if it's filtered through
>"scarlet."

quick aside. I find it interesting that it was viewed as a gimmick. for me it seems this is practically Tori's M.O. Character writing tale like songs. What changed with this album and later is that she started 'selling' the underlying story rather than just letting them stand. *shrug*

>there is such depth on this album.

Isn't there though.

>i mentioned
>before my routine listening to albums for the first time,
>particularly ones i buy that have lyric booklets. besides
>following along with the lyrics, the map illustrating what
>part of the country each song corresponds to and listening to
>the album as the story of a girl's road trip (and emotional
>journey) got me hooked immediately.

this is one of the few CD's who's packaging I really delved into.

> i just completely "got"
>what she was conveying about naivite, desperation, youth,
>freedom, being taken advantage of, self-expression,
>everything.

Alladat!!

>still, i doubt i will come to appreciate the subsequent albums
>as much.

They aren't as good.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 09:23 AM

17. "RE: i feel redeemed"
In response to Reply # 16

>quick aside. I find it interesting that it was viewed as a
>gimmick.

that's how my 19 year old mind viewed it. i'm sure i would've enjoyed it a lot then, but i relate to it differently than i probably would have then.

>for me it seems this is practically Tori's M.O.
>Character writing tale like songs.

maybe, but i don't view those first 4, 5 counting 'venus,' solo studio albums as concept albums. now that's all she makes. i get it, but at the same time, it put me off for a decade and still does to an extent. she tells stories through songs, and they were never exclusively first person, but i falsely perceived a disconnect due to all of the last few albums being conceptual.

>>i mentioned
>>before my routine listening to albums for the first time,
>>particularly ones i buy that have lyric booklets. besides
>>following along with the lyrics, the map illustrating what
>>part of the country each song corresponds to and listening
>to
>>the album as the story of a girl's road trip (and emotional
>>journey) got me hooked immediately.
>
>this is one of the few CD's who's packaging I really delved
>into.

much respect to thebigfunk, but there really is no other way to present this album. it literally follows a map. i feel like the songs transition well, too.

dalecooper
3164 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 08:35 AM

13. "She isn't hot any more"
In response to Reply # 10

Lots of bad plastic surgery.

--

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 07:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Yeah, she really fucked up her face"
In response to Reply # 13

and with the changes to her hair, she's almost unrecognizable sometimes

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Wed Apr-18-12 04:19 AM

18. "She's on of my favorites of all time"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazing songwriter
Amazingly talented player
Awesome vocal range and delivery

She's one of those artists who nails everything she does
mainly because she knows exactly who she is, artistically
and every time out
she's just being herself

She's a true poet and really seems to be a peaceful soul

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 06:12 AM

19. "in their differences from the originals, these new renditions illustrate"
In response to Reply # 0

...what made the originals so much better. it would be one thing if these recordings were simply redundant, but they hit at something worse for me. maybe i'm wrong.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-premiere-tori-amos-silent-all-these-years-and-gold-dust-20120918?link=mostpopular3

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 09:58 AM

21. "Night of the Hunters though?"
In response to Reply # 19

She lost that rapper hunger with marriage, but... well tell me you've heard it a few times.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
A PHASE!!

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 10:03 AM

22. "RE: Night of the Hunters though?"
In response to Reply # 21

>She lost that rapper hunger with marriage

at least two great albums (FTCH and SW) were released after marriage so i don't buy that, but i think you get what i'm saying.

>but... well tell
>me you've heard it a few times.

i won't lie to you, but maybe i'll reply again later.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 10:04 AM

23. "AYO SON!!! FUCKING KIDS!!! n/m"
In response to Reply # 22

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
A PHASE!!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2605317 Previous topic | Next topic