Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2600771

Subject: "What is your favorite Venetian Snares album?" Previous topic | Next topic
Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Tue Sep-13-11 06:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What is your favorite Venetian Snares album?"

signature pose.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (2002)
Sep 13th 2011
RE: Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (2002)
Sep 13th 2011
      RE: Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (2002)
Sep 14th 2011
           Hospitality is my shit!!!
Sep 16th 2011
                Heh.
Sep 17th 2011
Doll Doll Doll
Sep 17th 2011
Jul 12th 2012

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Sep-13-11 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (2002)"
In response to Reply # 0

i like the dark, wintery, eerily subdued but still fucked up vibe and the forays into singing, and it's said to be the album he submitted to warp that they rejected

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Tue Sep-13-11 11:34 PM

2. "RE: Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (2002)"
In response to Reply # 1

Which one would u say is his most "melodic/accessible one with also some experimentilsm...I liked Detraminilist

signature pose.

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Wed Sep-14-11 03:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (2002)"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Sep-14-11 03:43 AM by Stringer Bell

>Which one would u say is his most "melodic/accessible one
>with also some experimentilsm...I liked Detraminilist

Hospitality EP. It's his best that is not one of the two orchestral albums (those are his best albums period imo). I also really dig Detrimentalist.

*Edit* If you don't know which are the orchestral albums, they are "Rossz..." and "My Downfall (original soundtrack)".

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Sep-16-11 07:38 PM

4. "Hospitality is my shit!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

I also dig Calvacade a lot, but Hospitality for me is his best album. Even better than the orchestral albums if you ask me.

But its so weird thinking about Snares in terms of albums. I very rarely can sit for a full hour of it, and I'm a fan. What makes me a fan though isn't necessarily how he makes an album, but how he makes a song. I think you can really pick up any of his works and just listen to the details and get blown away. His lighter works are definitely the most accessible (Rossz and Downfall), but he's got so many lanes.

Howisya has been playing a lot of the Black Sabbath stuff which I hadn't and it was just like damn. It gave insight to the most recent EP which I think may be his best in a few years (Cubist Reggae). Then there's stuff like The Last Step which is way different but at the same time very much A. Funk.

And that's the most amazing thing about him. People think of him as just drill n bass steeze but when he gets down to it, he was a technician at that and can apply that to whatever he sets his heart on.

One thing I'll say which is a cross with the Autechre post, unlike Ae, I think Snares really thrives in the single realm. Two or three songs. I think he sets himself on something, knocks out three bangers and calls it a day. Pink Goat is a great one of those, but he's got others.

All and all just happy you're into him.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
http://concretesoundsystem.com
Mo'Nium - http://monium.tumblr.com/

RIP Nick Ashford - http://bit.ly/rfgMKh

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Sat Sep-17-11 01:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Heh."
In response to Reply # 4

When I first heard his music in like 2002 I hated it. I was coming from a British IDM background that took melodies for granted and Snares really didn't learn how to write melodies until later. Arguably until "Rossz".

I was also a struggling electronic musician myself and so having to listen to rudimentary, weak, practically monophonic melodies to get at the good drum programming, while hearing people rave that this was the next Aphex Twin, was maddening on several levels to me. But I kept checking for him because I kept hearing bits that I liked, such as "Chinaski" from "Songs about my Cats" and "Stairs Song" from "Winter...". Strangely I tended to like the least melodic things that Snares did like the aforementioned tracks and at the farthest extreme, the "7 Sevens Med" 7-inch. Then "Rossz" came out which I still think was largely ghostwritten by string players (on the melodic tip) and then Hospitality which is pure genius (favorite track: "Shoot Myself"). The guy learned how to write melody which I did not think was possible.

As for the present, Cubist Reggae is interesting, as was Filth, but I don't find myself listening to them. He needs to change gears even more radically I think (not for me, I'd continue listening to classical sequels forever; but for himself as he's clearly bored).

Tiger verse Crane
Member since Jul 06th 2003
1071 posts
Sat Sep-17-11 01:29 PM

6. "Doll Doll Doll"
In response to Reply # 0

Going from "I Rent the Ocean" to "Dollmaker" (with that goofy ass cutup of Metallica) to "Befriend a Childkiller" down into "Pressure Torture". It does basically everything: ambient, breaks, ragga jungle, hardcore, power electronics.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 01:41 PM

7. "..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2600771 Previous topic | Next topic