Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2316204

Subject: "I'm listening to Sung Tongs by "The Beatles of this Century"" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Feb-07-10 10:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm listening to Sung Tongs by "The Beatles of this Century""
Sun Feb-07-10 11:03 PM by imcvspl

Leaf House - This is pretty jamming to start. I like the vocals, though it starts getting over done. Fortunately it's short. Unfortunately it ends with fucking meowing.

Who Could Win a Rabbit - Real tingy sounding guitars. Not my favorite sound. I dig the arrangement, loose but tight. Wish the mix wasn't so wide. They like these obtuse endings. Ehhhh.

The Softest Voice - I hope this is going somewhere. Over a minute and hasn't gotten there yet. A bunch of arpeggios. Here come the vocals. Seems like a little early in the sequencing for something like this. I want to skip but I'll hang in. Starting to depress me. The harmonies are the only thing interesting about this and them, not so much. Changed up, bunch of effects. Meh. Shit there's still two and a half minutes left. Back to arpeggios. And we're doing what we already did again.

Winters Love - Makeshift sounding percussions. Some harmonies. A minute and a half of that fades out to something completely unrelated. Sounds like they're having fun though ummmm... okay, sure. Sounds like spring more than winter.

Kids on Holiday - Interesting sounds starting off this one. "but I'm feeling impatient" did he just say "the smell of pajamas"? "so you're feeling sleepy" yep. this is probably really deep but the two chords being strum in my right ear are irritating as fuck. is it about a little kid in the airport with his parents? okay.... what the hell is this chanting at the end?

Sweet Road - I like this opening phrase. Love what they are doing with the vocals. Comes in a little hard. Could have built up more. Wait... it's over. #fail Could have been great.

Visiting Friends - And it goes into more aimless strumming with effects. Geeeze. WTF. Wait there go some vocals. Are they being reversed. Dear god. This song is twelve and a half minutes. Three minutes so far of strumming, effects and vocals I can't understand. I want to stab something. Someone's going to pay for me sitting through this. Just hit the half way mark. I now know the vocals aren't reversed. He's saying something, I just have no clue what. I'm typing to try and make it go by faster. I wonder if the CD had lyrics in the booklet, and if die hard fans would read and try to sing along with this. Wait I think I'm understanding the words. "You were visiting" "The way that they smelled" He keeps doing this "wsshh a bing" LOL!! There must be some indoctrinating affect on this strumming. At the eight minute mark it makes you start thinking it makes sense. The guitarist must be getting cramps by now. FUCK.... make this stop. Are they called animal collective for their tendency to make animal sounds. Is 'tongs' animal speak for songs? I don't speak animal. Uhoh. We're at the eleven minute build up to the last minute of making this song sound like its going to end any second now.... not yet.... not yet... oh hell no. You can't just fade out of this bullshit. Give me more!!

College - Groaning, the sound of water or something like it. Sounds like a Lambda Lambda Lambda party. Great message.

We Tigers - Native american styled drumming. What's he saying. Amicus? There was a nice flirtation of harmony. Then yelling while some guy whispers poltergeist. High pitched shrieks. "Everybody's running" Actually a nice groove in there kinda. Sounds like they're having fun at least.

Mouth Wooed Her - Okay I'm convinced these guys have no idea how to really play the guitar. They know how to make notes sure but play... nah. Did he just say "Cut yourself"? All these random sounds going in and out. Who gave them a tabla? "I don't want that" neither do I. Geeze. Each of these hard hits make me more irritated. Change up. Yeah they are clueless on the guitar. Competent on the effects I guess. "I need mouth water." LOL at the hand claps. *SMH* The way he keeps saying that sounds like a rapist.

Good Lovin Outside - LOL!! This almost started out good. Then they got into the 'guitar playing'. I hate those type of bands that do that dramatic pause before changing chords. It's like bad acting. No not like. Considering the guitar chops it is bad acting. Laughing samples. Jokes on me. This sucks. *Low dramatic voice* Long drawn out notes saying *wait for it* whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat exactly? "Outside"

Whaddit I Done - I like that effect on the vocals but knowing them, they'll ruin it. Yup. It's old by the fourty fifth second. But they won't let it go will they. Try to focus on something else. Man listen to that guitar </sarcasm> Thank goodness this is the last song. Did he say "pajama's" again? WTF. Is this a concept album that completely went over my head. Pajamas have some sort of significance. Going into the third minute the effect is now on my fucking nerves. This cannot end fast enough. But just to drive it in, they're going to repeat this refrain for the whole last minute aren't they. Then another fade out. And it's over.

So yeah after this and that god awful EP I'll probably never listen to these guys again. I won't front, there are some really cool ideas that get explored in here but they have absolutely no clue what to do with them. The best song is the shortest one. The first song had promise too. But.... no. Their voices are like their ideas, pretty good, but they have no idea what to do with them. Actually that's not true. They make some good harmonic efforts, and strokes of arranging competency, but the overall *cough* songwriting just ruins it. And then there's the guitar 'playing'

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

I talked a lot of shit in the 00's
Watch me back it up in the 10's
http://avanturb.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Archive!! Archive!!
Feb 08th 2010
RE: I'm listening to Sung Tongs by "The Beatles of this Century"
Feb 08th 2010
lol. Like you were ever going to give them a positive review.
Feb 08th 2010
I don't lie about pussy or music
Feb 08th 2010
RE: Yeah, I don't hear any of the qualities in their music...
Feb 08th 2010
^
Feb 08th 2010
when I first listened I barely liked Leaf House. Didn't get that album ...
Feb 08th 2010
lmao, I mean I know what you're trying to say but it's still hilarious
Feb 08th 2010
For the recrod (BAD MIND LET ME PUT ON GOOD HAAAAAABITS):
Feb 08th 2010
Please stop comparing them to the Beatles.
Feb 08th 2010
      there are loads of people that find this comparison pretty rational
Feb 08th 2010
           They are idiots too.
Feb 08th 2010
           Never met one
Feb 08th 2010
lets not go overboard here, tho
Feb 08th 2010
Okay I'm coming down to earth here -- But where on Feels is a dud?
Feb 08th 2010
"Feels" is indisputably flawless? For fuck's sake man.
Feb 08th 2010
DUDE..foh
Feb 08th 2010
      Ive honestly tried to listen to Animal Collective
Feb 08th 2010
           RE: Ive honestly tried to listen to Animal Collective
Feb 08th 2010
Yeah, though I think Sung Tongs is actually the start of their great run
Feb 08th 2010
That's how I feel about most of their stuff. It sort of... almost
Feb 08th 2010
But at the same time, I really like some of it.
Feb 08th 2010
I haven't been able to review this one, but my song scores are like oppo...
Feb 08th 2010
i appreciate this post
Feb 08th 2010
      No, I just rate them as I listen
Feb 08th 2010
           RE: No, I just rate them as I listen
Feb 08th 2010
slamming Animal Collective is the new slamming Pitchfork.
Feb 08th 2010
why is it slamming them?
Feb 08th 2010
      fair enough.
Feb 08th 2010
           killjoy.
Feb 08th 2010
           LOL. at least i didn't say, "get a blog, nigga."
Feb 08th 2010
                hey, I'm a man of my word
Feb 08th 2010
                     I appreciate how level-headed you are, but for real
Feb 08th 2010
           I actually always liked the hamster *ball*
Feb 08th 2010
                hahaha!
Feb 08th 2010
which Beatles album would you compare it to?
Feb 08th 2010
Rubber Soul, though in many ways The White Album
Feb 08th 2010
i haven't listened to that one yet, but this is a bullshit post.
Feb 08th 2010
true, they're on some catch and release steez
Feb 08th 2010
Might I suggest listening to it while reading my post?
Feb 08th 2010
yeah but now do a post listening to Revolver
Feb 08th 2010
Revolver or Rubber Soul
Feb 08th 2010
hmm does that mean those are the US versions?
Feb 08th 2010
      i don't really have access to my vinyl right now
Feb 08th 2010
Or, do it when Revolver first came out. It would look the same.
Feb 08th 2010
      please stop.
Feb 09th 2010
      Hold up. People bought that on name alone, not based on music.
Feb 09th 2010
           Revolver it is
Feb 09th 2010
           Your post is just as opinionated as mind, get over yourself.
Feb 09th 2010
                RE: Semantics are a bitch.
Feb 09th 2010
                I had windows ME so eat it
Feb 10th 2010
                     RE: But you *didn't* know and love 98, right?
Feb 10th 2010
                LOL at you, of all people, telling someone to get over himself...
Feb 10th 2010
                     RE: Full disclosure.
Feb 10th 2010
                     RE: Full disclosure.
Feb 10th 2010
                          RE: Ha.
Feb 10th 2010
                     I know. I don't really care. I won't say that shit outside this topic
Feb 10th 2010
                          i think it's ridiculous you think you have haters. n/m
Feb 10th 2010
                          RE: Never said it wasn't legit.
Feb 10th 2010
                               ouch.
Feb 10th 2010
           I'm also now convinced you're just fucking with us
Feb 09th 2010
           i'm not saying that those sales prove the music was good
Feb 09th 2010
                Uh, neither will any other band. Because no one cares about music.
Feb 11th 2010
      double post
Feb 09th 2010
hohoho
Feb 09th 2010
^^^YEP!!!
Feb 10th 2010
surely animal collective are their own thing, no?
Jun 07th 2010
^^^Rousin Dat Rabble
Jun 07th 2010
No they are. But if you had to make a comparison....
Jun 07th 2010
      there are really no meaningful similarities between the two at all.
Jun 07th 2010
           lol
Jun 08th 2010
                *waves*
Jan 22nd 2011
imo after listening to more AnCo, beach boys are still the obvious
Jun 08th 2010
AndrewVS got me good
Apr 12th 2011
cross-post
Dec 19th 2011
      Fabulous.
Dec 19th 2011
           cheers
Aug 14th 2012
I miss AndrewVs
Aug 14th 2012
RE: Someone (forget who). . .
Aug 14th 2012
Who resurrected this shit?
Aug 14th 2012
me. problem?
Aug 15th 2012
      RE: me. problem?
Aug 15th 2012
           it's not
Aug 15th 2012

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 12:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Archive!! Archive!!"
In response to Reply # 0

damn fam I ain't laughed that hard in a while. I couldn't even make it past song 4 when I gave it a try. they're genius and song writing praise and all kinds of other shit that fans and critics love about them goes completely over my head. I hope I have a moment of "ohh shit, this is genius" with them one day, or im convinced we are collectively going bat shit crazy with creative mediocrity and shit that just plain bad.

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 12:42 AM

2. "RE: I'm listening to Sung Tongs by "The Beatles of this Century""
In response to Reply # 0

While I also think the Beatle Comparison by AVS is abnormal, I definetely recommend Merriweather Post Pavillion. Check out the whole album in one listening experience and let me know what you think.

signature pose.

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 12:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "lol. Like you were ever going to give them a positive review."
In response to Reply # 0

Whether you liked it or not.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 08:06 AM

18. "I don't lie about pussy or music"
In response to Reply # 3

If it were good I would have said so. Where it was good I did say so. Seriously, you think I'd lie about music I liked? How stupid does that sound?
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 01:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Yeah, I don't hear any of the qualities in their music..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-08-10 01:07 AM by Austin

...that most positive reviews usually point out.

My ears must be trained for something else.

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädÅ/
noun
a continually repeated musical phrase or rhythm

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2017/332378

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:58 AM

14. "^"
In response to Reply # 4

<--- Big Baller World Order

AndrewVS
Charter member

5. "when I first listened I barely liked Leaf House. Didn't get that album ..."
In response to Reply # 0

You have to not approach it with such fucking elitism and negativity and let it grow on you because individually every song comes at you in a different vibe and then in about a year you realize -- oh shit I've played each one of these songs as if it was my favorite, now I can play the whole album!

This is Animal Collective's Rubber Soul, except in comparison to the fact that a lot of Folk already existed when RS came out -- this is more experimental.

Also also Visiting Friends is a skit, that is also a song O SHI INNOVATION

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:36 PM

33. "lmao, I mean I know what you're trying to say but it's still hilarious"
In response to Reply # 5

>This is Animal Collective's Rubber Soul,

AndrewVS
Charter member

6. "For the recrod (BAD MIND LET ME PUT ON GOOD HAAAAAABITS):"
In response to Reply # 0

>Who Could Win a Rabbit

Give this one another listen (or two?) I remember I really didn't like this when I first heard it. Like I genuinely hated Sung Tongs when I first heard it.

>The Softest Voice

This was the song that would always play after the ONE-TWO AWESOME-AWESOME of Leaf House / Who Could Win A Rabbit? which feels on the level of Come Together / Something in terms of singles, just not stylistically. The Softest Voice would be like this transitory song that would play for a minute or two before I'd turn it off. Over time I decided I'd let it play and it took me to this dream-like state of mind. It was here where I realized that just the previous track I had been chanting at the top of my lungs SOMETIMES I CANT FIND MY GOOD HABITS that I had entered the world of Sung Tongs and was going to be taken through several psychedelic spectrums of thought.

>
>Winters Love

First time I heard this it felt like magic. Don't see how you can't absolutely love this one on first listen.

>
>Kids on Holiday

This one took a second listen to fully get and then I would always be looking forward to the ending "kids on HOOOOOOLIDAY (whispered) kids on HOLLLIDAAAAAY"

>
>Sweet Road - I like this opening phrase. Love what they are
>doing with the vocals. Comes in a little hard. Could have
>built up more. Wait... it's over. #fail Could have been
>great.

Keep listening

>
>Visiting Friends

This was the song that I hated at first and just figured "Okay, I can get down with everything else, but seriously, twelve fucking minutes? This is just too long, plain and simple." Then I listened to it on a car trip while traveling in Autumn Western PA and it blew my mind. I didn't want it to end. I could've been half an hour long.

>
>College

So fucking great after Visiting Friends, makes the words seem 10x more impacting

>
>We Tigers

My anthem. The lyrics and song structure 120% describe what its like to be on Acid better than the previous winners -- The Beatles with "Strawberry Fields Forever"

>
>Mouth Wooed Her

I! DONT! WANT! NO! ONE! NO! God the verses in here are so WIIIIIIILD "NOW ALL GO OUT oh leeets THE DYE ON MY FAAACE"

>
>Good Lovin Outside

I’m wearing your shirt
So act like a kid, don't pretend to hit me
Cause we act in the funniest ways
But it’s just like it should be
With good love on the outside

>
>Whaddit I Done

This is a great song to really think about all the emotions you just went through to. The only line from Pitchfork I ever actually quoted which perfectly expresses my feelings on this album "Sung Tongs is a romantic album; romantic in its celebration of innocence and nonsensical shared knowledge, and the sweet, trusted idea that everything will be fine-- as if it hadn't always been."

CondoM
9881 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:13 AM

9. "Please stop comparing them to the Beatles."
In response to Reply # 6

Anybody who hasn't heard them and goes into them after that are just going to think that both AC and you are a joke.

I genuinely feel ridiculously mind blowingly embarrassed for you every time you post about AC these days.

AndrewVS
Charter member

10. "there are loads of people that find this comparison pretty rational"
In response to Reply # 9

not my problem none of those people are here

CondoM
9881 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:46 AM

13. "They are idiots too."
In response to Reply # 10

At least compare them to the Beach Boys so howisya can come and tell us how they just ape them.

Zayus
Member since Jun 19th 2005
1351 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 07:05 AM

17. "Never met one"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Feb-08-10 07:07 AM by Zayus

And I hang out with a bunch of altbros and think Strawberry Jam is funtastic

--
what

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 01:54 AM

7. "lets not go overboard here, tho"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-08-10 01:54 AM by Madvillain 626

Feels
Person Pitch
Strawberry Jam
MPP

those albums are all fire as hell and Animal Collective is one of the best bands of the last decade. i think making random comparisons to huge stars of the past is a pointless and rather geeky pursuit, and it's not hard to see they are an acquired taste.

the early stuff is a little much tho. (and even the albums i mentioned as being great have duds, feels especially)

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

AndrewVS
Charter member

8. "Okay I'm coming down to earth here -- But where on Feels is a dud?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Feb-08-10 01:58 AM by AndrewVS

While I personally believe practically everything they've touched is flawless in one way or another -- Feels is indisputably flawless no matter how you look at it. I have no idea what song you are going to name honestly

quakka1
Member since Nov 07th 2004
1058 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:34 AM

11. ""Feels" is indisputably flawless? For fuck's sake man."
In response to Reply # 8

You are such a joke, coming from someone who enjoys AC very much.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:36 AM

12. "DUDE..foh"
In response to Reply # 8

NOTHING in indisputably flawless

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:40 AM

15. "Ive honestly tried to listen to Animal Collective"
In response to Reply # 12

and i just dont get it
what is the appeal of this band??
what makes them so great??
it boggles the mind when i see stuff like this get critical acclaim
i feel like certain music snobs use bands like this as a one upping tool in the battle of music elitism
i will give them props for trying something different, but thats about it

PS Lesson fam..I do believe that probably one of our many talented beatsmiths here can flip some of the sounds on some of these albums into something more easier to digest

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:44 AM

16. "RE: Ive honestly tried to listen to Animal Collective"
In response to Reply # 15

I honestly just got into them off of MPP and I love that record. But IDK about their older stuff, I have tried some older tracks but nothing made me go "I NEED TO COP THIS SHIT" like My Girls did with MPP.

I also like Fall Be Kind allot too honestly

but this guy overrates them like crazy comparing them with the BEATLES....smh

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

TomWaitsInOkkervil
Member since Feb 07th 2009
1229 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 08:42 AM

19. "Yeah, though I think Sung Tongs is actually the start of their great run"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Feb-08-10 08:42 AM by TomWaitsInOkkervil

Haven't been able to get into their earlier albums.

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 09:32 AM

20. "That's how I feel about most of their stuff. It sort of... almost"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-08-10 09:32 AM by WaxLablTabler

gets there.

be Good.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8vg29.png
(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 05:24 PM

41. "But at the same time, I really like some of it."
In response to Reply # 20

be Good.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8vg29.png
(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "I haven't been able to review this one, but my song scores are like oppo..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-08-10 10:50 AM by Nodima

of your words

Sung Tongs (Produced by Animal Collective & Rusty Santos)

1|Leaf House|2:43 4.5 - 5
2|Who Could Win a Rabbit|2:19 4.5 - 5
3|The Softest Voice|6:46 4
4|Winters Love|4:55 4
5|Kids on Holiday|5:47 5
6|Sweet Road|1:16 3.5 - 4
7|Visiting Friends|12:37 5
8|College|0:53 3.5 - 4
9|We Tigers|2:43 5
10|Mouth Wooed Her|4:25 4.5 - 5
11|Good Lovin Outside|4:27 4.5 - 5
12|Whaddit I Done|4:06 4.5 - 5

Overall: 52.5 - 56 4.52/5 88 - 93%: Exceptional; repeated listens demanded; BUY IT

I don't know what to tell you. Animal Collective makes me really happy when I listen to them, but I don't think their most acclaimed albums are more than 4-star records. Like these scores indicate, I do think they're incredibly, incredibly solid 4-star records though. Strawberry Jam is their best effort and doubles as their least repetitive/most pop effort, IMO.

And like most great artists (OutKast, Beatles, Biggie, Bowie, etc.) it didn't take me multiple tries to enjoy them, I loved their sound right away. Not just liked but loved. That to me is the mark of an all-time band, when they can force you into their aesthetic.

The way people that 'don't get it' claim the people who 'do' are just 'fronting' to cash some kind of 'cultural credit' with other critical peers is a little outrageous though. Animal Collective are a great band and it's not their fault they're doing things that other people aren't doing, strange things that apparently not everyone takes kindly to.

~~~~~~~~~

http://potholesinmyblog.com/

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 11:47 AM

22. "i appreciate this post"
In response to Reply # 21

I wonder if your ratings are relative. Like a 5 song by AC is on the same level as a 5 song by ___________. Or is it relative to the listening experience or something else?

>I don't know what to tell you. Animal Collective makes me
>really happy when I listen to them, but I don't think their
>most acclaimed albums are more than 4-star records.

Keeping it real.

>Like these
>scores indicate, I do think they're incredibly, incredibly
>solid 4-star records though. Strawberry Jam is their best
>effort and doubles as their least repetitive/most pop effort,
>IMO.

You almost make me want to check it, but it'll be months before I build up the nerve.

>And like most great artists (OutKast, Beatles, Biggie, Bowie,
>etc.) it didn't take me multiple tries to enjoy them, I loved
>their sound right away. Not just liked but loved. That to me
>is the mark of an all-time band, when they can force you into
>their aesthetic.

This I appreciate. I don't want to hear some "you gotta listen to it right" bullshit. If it's dope its dope. And that's not to take away from the grow on you factor, but grow on you is a bonus not a good excuse.

>The way people that 'don't get it' claim the people who 'do'
>are just 'fronting' to cash some kind of 'cultural credit'
>with other critical peers is a little outrageous though.
>Animal Collective are a great band and it's not their fault
>they're doing things that other people aren't doing, strange
>things that apparently not everyone takes kindly to.

I've never claimed that fans are fronting. I have no problem with folk liking what they like. I only take note when universal claims start being made that simply aren't accepted universally, even remotely so. Also doing different things doesn't make a band. There are tons of bands doing different things. They key is doing them well. Now there is a level of subjectivity when the well comes into play, but if it's to be taken as a universal it has to be able to stand up to universal critique.

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Nodima
15313 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "No, I just rate them as I listen"
In response to Reply # 22

It's all relative to the album and my feelings on it at the time. I try not to do it until I've heard an album a good number of times and know what I like to skip, what i like to sit through, what I appreciate but get tired of, etc.

If I had to think about whether "Who Could Win a Rabbit" is as dope a single as "In da Club" when I sat down to score an album, I'd probably end up in Brian Wilson's shoes without the killer legacy to leave behind.

~~~~~~~~~

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:31 PM

32. "RE: No, I just rate them as I listen"
In response to Reply # 30

>If I had to think about whether "Who Could Win a Rabbit" is as
>dope a single as "In da Club" when I sat down to score an
>album, I'd probably end up in Brian Wilson's shoes without the
>killer legacy to leave behind.

Yeah. I've been rating songs individually a lot lately. 1-5 no decimals. Then using that to rate the album as a whole. But I recognize a relativeness to it. A part of me is bothered by that, but at the same time acknowledges there's probably little I can do about it. At some point it'd be interesting to rate the 5 songs relative to each other. Hmmmmm.
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 12:05 PM

23. "slamming Animal Collective is the new slamming Pitchfork."
In response to Reply # 0

it's tired and pointless.

let the kids have their fun.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 12:15 PM

24. "why is it slamming them?"
In response to Reply # 23

if people want to post about AC they want others to listen, but they don't want opinions unless its favorable. it's unfair for me to talk without listening and i didn't before listening to the EP which didn't impress. i was told then to listen to another release. this is one a friend had given me a year ago now. i gave it a listen and wrote my thoughts going along. i go into everything with an open mind. i'm not going into it to slam them. i'm going into it to listen and posting to share my thoughts. plain and simple. i give credit where its do. if there was bias involved the above would read much different.
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

inpulse
5891 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 12:22 PM

25. "fair enough."
In response to Reply # 24

but as the title suggests this is probably a direct response to one individual on this board.

getting him riled up about AC again is like watching a hamster run on its wheel.

nothing you type out, no matter how valid it is, is going to make ANY difference to him right now.

hence, the futility of this post.

not to mention there's AC threads just about every other day now. do we really need another?

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 01:03 PM

26. "killjoy."
In response to Reply # 25

inpulse
5891 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 01:57 PM

28. "LOL. at least i didn't say, "get a blog, nigga.""
In response to Reply # 26

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:27 PM

31. "hey, I'm a man of my word"
In response to Reply # 28

and i like covering all of my bases. AVS wanted to say elsewhere that I was hating having not listened knowing I had heard the EP. I'd previously told him I had Sung Tongs and asked if it was worth me giving a listen, and he said I had to. The Saints won last night, I was in a good mood and so gave it a listen. If I liked it I would have said so happily.

Are there a lot of AC posts of late, sure. But they're all one sided and usually of the 'metaphysical' greatness sort. This post to me is a reality check in that broader context. It's not just blind hate. I give up the points that I like. I'm pretty specific about the ones that I don't. No one is yet to say you're crazy if you don't think the guitar work is amazing, listen to the way they ________ on __________. I give up the fact that they got good harmonies. No one is saying yeah but the arrangement of them on _________ proves they know how to work with those harmonies.

And again it's not that my view should change anyone's liking of it, but hopefully it provides the context for understanding how someone like me could not like it and not just be 'mad'.
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AndrewVS
Charter member

43. "I appreciate how level-headed you are, but for real"
In response to Reply # 31

it grows on you, you still haven't really heard it yet.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 01:18 PM

27. "I actually always liked the hamster *ball*"
In response to Reply # 25

>like watching a hamster
>run on its wheel.

or maybe *sphere* would be a more appropriate word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98M1mqKGJJc

hours of fun!

Make of that with your allegory what you will.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

inpulse
5891 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 01:59 PM

29. "hahaha!"
In response to Reply # 27

on its wheel.
>
>or maybe *sphere* would be a more appropriate word.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98M1mqKGJJc
>
>hours of fun!

i might get a hamster just for that.

now that's entertainment.

>
>Make of that with your allegory what you will.

both versions work equally well.

jasonprague
Member since Sep 29th 2005
1900 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:11 PM

34. "which Beatles album would you compare it to?"
In response to Reply # 0

PEACE

"The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting." - Kundera

AndrewVS
Charter member

44. "Rubber Soul, though in many ways The White Album"
In response to Reply # 34
Mon Feb-08-10 08:34 PM by AndrewVS

It has all the spiritual components Rubber Soul had. I'm dead serious about this Beatles theory.

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:14 PM

35. "i haven't listened to that one yet, but this is a bullshit post."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-08-10 04:16 PM by amplifya7

I don't know how similar it is to other animal collective albums, but...

a large part of the enjoyment of their music to me is how alot of times they'll sit one idea or chord for 2-3 minutes, and when you're listening to those parts knowing what it then breaks out and changes into and you're anticipating it..it's dope.

Giving a critical negative review off your first listen, typing as you listen, is some obvious "I want to hate this" style posting in general, but it's especially ridiculous for Animal Collective, whose songs you generally have to listen to a few times to get into them.

And I respect you as a poster and like your posts (impcvsl).

Nodima
15313 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:33 PM

36. "true, they're on some catch and release steez"
In response to Reply # 35

In other words, listening to Animal Collective is kind of like going fishing...
~~~~~~~~~

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:40 PM

37. "Might I suggest listening to it while reading my post?"
In response to Reply # 35

>a large part of the enjoyment of their music to me is how alot
>of times they'll sit one idea or chord for 2-3 minutes

12 MINUTES!!!! 12 MINUTES!!!!!

I mention this thing that you're talking about in my review, as it pops up a few times. I'm sorry but sitting on the same chord is just not my thing. And it's not even so much about the chord. It's the same strummed tingy acoustic chord. People talk about Lauryn's playing on Unplugged for days. AC get's a pass because that's their thing. Even more I find it hard to wrap my brain around a single chord being an 'idea'. Maybe its a bias but... at least make it an interesting chord. Or invert it... or something.

>when you're listening to those parts knowing what it then
>breaks out and changes into and you're anticipating it..it's
>dope.

I think I note one if not two times it worked okay for me. The rest of the time it either didn't happen or came as some abrupt thing out of nowhere, and didn't go much of anywhere.

>Giving a critical negative review off your first listen,
>typing as you listen, is some obvious "I want to hate this"
>style posting in general

I don't want to hate any music. Look at how I start with the first two songs. I dug them. Seems like general consensus is these are the best songs on the album too. Go figure. Yes the subject of this thread is snarky, but that's actually the one thing I edited after writing what I wrote.

>but it's especially ridiculous for
>Animal Collective, whose songs you generally have to listen to
>a few times to get into them.

Sorry but I have to be convinced I want to listen to something a few times. It has to be earned. An album that makes me want to cut it off in the middle is not something I'm inclined to listen to again. The fact that I stuck through this as long as I did was only because of the fact that if I didn't folk would say I didn't give them a chance. But I did. I didn't like it, and nor did I think there was anything in it that warranted further investigation so that I might like it.

>And I respect you as a poster and like your posts (impcvsl).

I hope my not liking this doesn't change that opinion. I may talk shit about posters here (rarely unprovoked) or even artists, but when it all boils down to it, its about the music for me. I hope you can see through whatever bias you're reading into this and see that I'm only reflecting on my perspective of the music.

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

The Damaja
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
18637 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 05:01 PM

38. "yeah but now do a post listening to Revolver"
In response to Reply # 0

('The Animal Collective of the last century')

--------------------
Why do you choose to mimic these wack MCs?
Why do you choose to listen to R&B?

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to." Leela

*puts emceeing in a box*

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 05:08 PM

39. "Revolver or Rubber Soul"
In response to Reply # 38

My vinyl's in boxes though. And I won't get to it right away. But choose one and you got it Damaja.
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

The Damaja
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
18637 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 05:20 PM

40. "hmm does that mean those are the US versions?"
In response to Reply # 39

can;t really side
RS would miss drive my car, nowhere man, what goes on and get some inferior tracks instead
R would miss I'm Only Sleeping and And Your Bird Can Sing which is a travesty (and also Dr Robert but that's not such a catastrophe)

Revolver if it's the altered us versions
Rubber Soul if they're the proper versions

--------------------
Why do you choose to mimic these wack MCs?
Why do you choose to listen to R&B?

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to." Leela

*puts emceeing in a box*

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 05:25 PM

42. "i don't really have access to my vinyl right now"
In response to Reply # 40

so whatever i can 'find'
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AndrewVS
Charter member

45. "Or, do it when Revolver first came out. It would look the same."
In response to Reply # 38

People hate shit that's ahead of its time because there is nothing to compare it to

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 01:03 AM

46. "please stop."
In response to Reply # 45

Revolver reached #1 on both the UK chart and US chart and stayed at the top spot for seven weeks and six weeks, respectively.

Animal Collective will *never* achieve anything close to that.

AndrewVS
Charter member

48. "Hold up. People bought that on name alone, not based on music."
In response to Reply # 46

Most people were expecting very simple catchy pop tunes but instead got tomorrow never knows. And I already said this shit -- the only reason AC won't sell that much is because music as a whole isn't like that anymore. You know what sells? Ke$ha's TiK ToK. That's what sells. You argument fucking PROOVES that Ke$ha >>>> The Roots, so shut the fuck up about sales, because they don't mean jack-fucking shit in this time period. Back when the beatles were out, they mattered. Now? Fuck out of here

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 08:46 AM

49. "Revolver it is"
In response to Reply # 48

And AVS it really is a shame you're holding onto this. The Damaja will tell you I'm not the biggest Beatles fan but the one thing I will never take from them is stellar songwriting. It's what helped them to capture the ears of the world, despite only average talents in other areas. Even as they started doing more experimental things they always had this foundation. Which is why they were able to still hold onto fans despite going so way out. The essence was still there.

Based on what I've heard of AC no matter how profound you may find their lyrics to be, their songwriting is nowhere near at the level of the Beatles. They experiment where they seemingly have no understanding of the fundamentals and so it just sounds sloppy. Of course they have a decent fanbase that will support and insist that the obtuseness of it is genius, but to think that it is on par to the experimentation of The Beatles and puts them even close to their league is just stubborn naivete.

You will of course dismiss this and hold onto your beliefs which is perfectly fine, but the more you insist and presenting them as you are doing now the less credible you will become as a critical objective listener.

Think about it.
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AndrewVS
Charter member

52. "Your post is just as opinionated as mind, get over yourself."
In response to Reply # 49
Tue Feb-09-10 06:42 PM by AndrewVS

TL;DR Version: You feel that Animal Collective don't know what they are doing / They aren't as good as songwriters as The Beatles.

I never said they were as as good as The Beatles, as said they are the NEW beatles. They are writing songs that are on that level, its just that there is a new definition now in 2010. You can't just fucking write a Pop track like they did back in the day. There are so many songs written by AC that are easily comparable to The Beatles -- its just that they are in a new time period.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 11:54 PM

54. "RE: Semantics are a bitch."
In response to Reply # 52
Tue Feb-09-10 11:54 PM by Austin

>
>I never said they were as as good as The Beatles, as said they
>are the NEW beatles.
>

If something is the "NEW" version of something previous, it is assumed, by human logic, that it is at least as good as —if not better than— its previous version.

Hence, why everybody was pissed with Windows ME coming after Windows 98.

Oh wait, you're too young to remember that...

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädÅ/
noun

AndrewVS
Charter member

59. "I had windows ME so eat it"
In response to Reply # 54

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 02:06 AM

63. "RE: But you *didn't* know and love 98, right?"
In response to Reply # 59

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädÅ/
noun

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 12:03 AM

55. "LOL at you, of all people, telling someone to get over himself..."
In response to Reply # 52

Personally I would take MGMT and Fleet Foxes over Animal Collective and Grizzly Bear anyday, respectively...hey, thats just me...but people look for different things in terms of what they want to get out of music.

But the AC = modern day Beatles is crazy talk. its just crazy talk. in all seriousness you've put a gigantic dent in your credibility by hanging on to that shit so forcefully. i'm not insulting you, i'm just telling you in all honestly that nobody will ride with that. the comparison doesn't even make sense at all...you'd have an easier time telling me radiohead are the modern day beatles, and i think that comparison is fuckin foolish too.

I mean, I understand you feeling a certain way and shit...at times I start thinking crazy shit like McCartney is the Mozart of the 20th Century, but I don't go around saying that shit out loud and shit, and if i did i certainly wouldn't be incensed that people don't agree with me...

----

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 12:14 AM

56. "RE: Full disclosure."
In response to Reply # 55
Wed Feb-10-10 12:15 AM by Austin

>Personally I would take MGMT and Fleet Foxes over Animal
>Collective and Grizzly Bear anyday,
>

Fleet Foxes = modern day CSNY

Which is much better than being the modern day Beatles from where I'm standing.

Like, much much better.

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädÅ/
noun

The Analyst
4621 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 12:19 AM

57. "RE: Full disclosure."
In response to Reply # 56

>>Personally I would take MGMT and Fleet Foxes over Animal
>>Collective and Grizzly Bear anyday,
>>
>
>Fleet Foxes = modern day CSNY
>
>Which is much better than being the modern day Beatles from
>where I'm standing.
>
>Like, much much better.
>
>~Austin

lol...at least that comparison actually makes sense. the real question, however, is: who is the modern day CCR?

----

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 12:24 AM

58. "RE: Ha."
In response to Reply # 57

I don't know.

CCR was deemed 'uncool' at the time by the hippies who were mad at their top ten records.

Maybe My Morning Jacket or Hot Chip.

But they both suck, where CCR was awesome, so I dunno...

I think, in the grand scheme, CSN/CSNY is extremely underrated (well, the first two albums, anyway).

And don't even get me started on Buffalo Springfield. Half of these hipster idiots wouldn't even exist without them and they don't even realize it.

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädÅ/
noun

AndrewVS
Charter member

60. "I know. I don't really care. I won't say that shit outside this topic"
In response to Reply # 55
Wed Feb-10-10 12:57 AM by AndrewVS

again or anything. But I think its kinda fucking RIDICULOUS how much people hate me for saying that I like Animal Collective on a really really high level. This is my opinion and you guys can fuck your mother if you think its 'not legit'. (not you specifically, just in general)

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 01:49 AM

62. "i think it's ridiculous you think you have haters. n/m"
In response to Reply # 60

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 02:18 AM

64. "RE: Never said it wasn't legit."
In response to Reply # 60
Wed Feb-10-10 02:19 AM by Austin

But, to me, it seems... like, really *REALLY* obvious there's a lot you haven't heard to be making the claims that you are about Animal Collective.

And I thought this before the Beatles comparison.

And I think the Beatles are overrated and suck, just to be completely clear.

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädÅ/
noun

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 04:06 AM

65. "ouch."
In response to Reply # 64

jasonprague
Member since Sep 29th 2005
1900 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 08:47 AM

50. "I'm also now convinced you're just fucking with us "

and I really like a lot of Animal Collective's stuff but all this shit you said?

FOH

PEACE

"The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting." - Kundera

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 09:34 AM

51. "i'm not saying that those sales prove the music was good"
Tue Feb-09-10 09:35 AM by shockzilla

but they're certainly a mark of how popular the beatles were.

animal collective will NEVER be that popular. EVER.

your constant comparing the two makes you look pretty bloody stupid, even if it is just because you're full of youthful enthusiasm.

AndrewVS
Charter member

66. "Uh, neither will any other band. Because no one cares about music."
In response to Reply # 51

Its not because there aren't qualified bands to take the place of a figure like The Beatles. Its because as a mainstream culture -- music is fucking dead and no one really misses it. That same logic you used against Animal Collective applies to every band out now

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 01:07 AM

47. "double post"
In response to Reply # 45
Tue Feb-09-10 01:08 AM by shockzilla

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 08:14 PM

53. "hohoho"
In response to Reply # 0

I listened to this album while referring to the post....lotsa laughs.

It's funny cause it's true.

Even funnier...judging from the commentary, imcvspl is two or three listens away from falling in love with AC.

AndrewVS
Charter member

61. "^^^YEP!!!"
In response to Reply # 53

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Jun-07-10 06:24 PM

67. "surely animal collective are their own thing, no?"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't think anyone would seriously say the beatles were the animal collective of their time, so why does anyone need the beatles to prop up animal collective today?

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jun-07-10 06:26 PM

68. "^^^Rousin Dat Rabble"
In response to Reply # 67

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

AndrewVS
Charter member

69. "No they are. But if you had to make a comparison...."
In response to Reply # 67

a comparison that gives people the idea of what the band is like quality-wise and song-wise and etc etc....just like how people say OutKast are The Beatles of Hip Hop

The Analyst
4621 posts
Mon Jun-07-10 09:33 PM

70. "there are really no meaningful similarities between the two at all."
In response to Reply # 69

----

AndrewVS
Charter member

71. "lol"
In response to Reply # 70

howisya
39983 posts
Sat Jan-22-11 01:03 PM

73. "*waves*"
In response to Reply # 71

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Tue Jun-08-10 02:53 AM

72. "imo after listening to more AnCo, beach boys are still the obvious"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-08-10 02:54 AM by amplifya7

band from the past to compare them to, not the beatles

the "wall of sound", the harmonies, the general kind of serene/enlightened/positive but quirky energy they both give off...its very clear to me

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Apr-12-11 10:13 AM

74. "AndrewVS got me good"
In response to Reply # 0

a couple years ago he had me download off his server Panda Bear - Young Prayer... listening now, and this is some ol' bullshit!

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Dec-19-11 11:41 AM

75. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 74

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2637559&mesg_id=2637559&listing_type=search

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Dec-19-11 04:34 PM

76. "Fabulous."
In response to Reply # 75

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Aug-14-12 12:18 PM

77. "cheers"
In response to Reply # 76

Ghetto Black
Member since Dec 24th 2004
10172 posts
Tue Aug-14-12 01:41 PM

78. "I miss AndrewVs"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Aug-14-12 01:49 PM

79. "RE: Someone (forget who). . ."
In response to Reply # 78

. . .suggested in Mumu that he was one of Howard's creations.

~Austin

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus
http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus
http://soundcloud.com/austintayeshus

G_The_SP
Member since Dec 12th 2005
2413 posts
Tue Aug-14-12 07:09 PM

80. "Who resurrected this shit? "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm actually a huge Animal Collective fan and will fiercely defend them (I admit I have a bias in favor of experimental music and really do think that most people refuse to or don't 'get it' because it's far outside of their comfort zones)

I even put together a list of AnCo's 40 Greatest Songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msynuXERxIg

The AnCo comparisons can be best described if you break down the song structures, similarities in production, etc etc- the more tangible aspects of music; its components.

I lurk on a lot of alternative music message/discussion boards and the 'classic rock' band AnCo gets compared to the most is probably the Beach Boys- quirky singing, similar melodies, psychedelic soundscapes...

The repetition in chords I think is one of the silliest complaints since it's fairly obvious that they're utilizing and incorporating a lot of ambiance in their music on some early Pink Floyd meet Brian Eno shit...

The Beatles comparison I think, isn't extraordinarily outrageous, but maybe a bit of an exaggeration. The Beatles' more experimental songs are more comparable to AnCo's works, and AnCo's more 'conventional sounding' pop songs are more similar to the Beatles work. There still are other bands and artists who would probably be a more accurate comparison. But if anything, AnCo is in a lane of their own and do have a lot of other artists who sound just like them- which is a good thing.

I also think people putting The Beatles up on a holy pedestal in which other artists can never be compared to them is a bit cliche, (and this is coming from a big Beatles fan too). The Beatles is arguably the best band in music history and wrote phenomenal music, but so did many other artists, and the Beatles themselves had weak-points. Some contemporary comparisons should be fair game, even if the AnCo once might not be the best match.

Grizzly Bear and Fleet Foxes, as far as musicianship, talent, songwriting is probably closer to being on the same artistic level as The Beatles.

Comparisons are lame anyways though- we only use them to give clarity... so we can build a connection or develop an understanding of what one artist sounds like and how it's relative to others. But what people forget when they are comparing is to also look at the artist as an individual outside of those comparisons. Many artists would like to stand on their own and provide a voice for themselves, regardless of what they may or may not sound like.

~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~
http://soundcloud.com/griff-x
http://atribecalledx.com
http://twitter.com/IamGriffX

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 09:14 AM

81. "me. problem?"
In response to Reply # 80

>But
>if anything, AnCo is in a lane of their own and do have a lot
>of other artists who sound just like them- which is a good
>thing.

not for me. as much as i liked MPP for a few weeks after it came out, it's inspired some of the most insipid and annoying music i've ever heard. fuck animal collective for that alone.

>I also think people putting The Beatles up on a holy pedestal
>in which other artists can never be compared to them is a bit
>cliche, (and this is coming from a big Beatles fan too). The
>Beatles is arguably the best band in music history and wrote
>phenomenal music, but so did many other artists, and the
>Beatles themselves had weak-points. Some contemporary
>comparisons should be fair game, even if the AnCo once might
>not be the best match.
>
>Grizzly Bear and Fleet Foxes, as far as musicianship, talent,
>songwriting is probably closer to being on the same artistic
>level as The Beatles.

*just points and snickers*

G_The_SP
Member since Dec 12th 2005
2413 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 02:11 PM

82. "RE: me. problem?"
In response to Reply # 81

Your resistance seems to be a knee-jerk reaction...

~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~
http://soundcloud.com/griff-x
http://atribecalledx.com
http://twitter.com/IamGriffX

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 02:14 PM

83. "it's not"
In response to Reply # 82

as a local group, i would love to love AnCo. it wouldn't be honest for me to pretend when i don't. i like some of their music and think they have talent. i also think a lot of their music is just terrible.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2316204 Previous topic | Next topic