Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2987959

Subject: "Came across this call for sample ID's on YouTube..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8763 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 01:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Came across this call for sample ID's on YouTube..."

The video is about 6 min long and includes 15 or so songs which the members of the YouTube channel can't identify.

Do you know of any of these?

https://youtu.be/cztYkFUFOBc

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Y'ALL ARE VIOLATIN'
Apr 12th 2017
RE: Y'ALL ARE VIOLATIN'
Apr 12th 2017
AP w the next-to-straight-loop-perfection
Apr 13th 2017
      i think it's a stretch to call this technique 'lazy'
Apr 15th 2017
           Hmm
Apr 16th 2017
I've Always Wondered How Premier Feels About Breakbeat Lou
Apr 17th 2017

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Y'ALL ARE VIOLATIN'"
In response to Reply # 0

Straight up and down!!!! ® DJ Premier

I don't have anything to add though. But that was the first thing I thought of.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

jimaveli
Charter member
6631 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 07:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Y'ALL ARE VIOLATIN'"
In response to Reply # 1

>Straight up and down!!!! ® DJ Premier
>
>I don't have anything to add though. But that was the first
>thing I thought of.

Haha! Same here. I LOVE samples cuz I usually love the source material on it's own. And don't start me on how a new song can breathe life into an 'old' one...

But I struggle with this issue sometimes...especially when it seems like cats are still trying to rap over stuff without clearing it.

But I can't hold back on some of these things based on technicality...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgBUOJAYLVs

Like here. How can I not run around in circles like an excited puppy when I hear this after hearing what it has been turned into? I can't, that's how.

_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 05:15 PM

3. "AP w the next-to-straight-loop-perfection "
In response to Reply # 2

Effin love this. Lazy technique, amazing outcome.

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sat Apr-15-17 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "i think it's a stretch to call this technique 'lazy'"
In response to Reply # 3

simple? yes. there's some slight changeups in there, and deciding which part should be the intro/chorus & the verse part...that's all not something i'd call lazy.

and this is coming from a man who puts the beatminerz bassline technique on everything, along with something for the meat of the whole thing as well as the dj premier end-of-every-4-beats extra sample or sound effect for seasoning purposes. sometimes i wish i could tone it down to shit like what roc marci raps on.

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Sun Apr-16-17 05:22 AM

5. "Hmm"
In response to Reply # 4

I can go w simple since its not as loaded but. And this a HUGE but: I say lazy because that recipe merely showcases your ability to find, and the love for, beautiful music, which in itself offcourse has a lotta value, but but. Theres no distinct "producers personality", no blending of layers that hi-lites ones own tech, no stamp of timing on the drums since they already there, no little endloop details added from an obscure source that makes ones own beat stand out from others that flips the same sample... All in all, lacks the given producers ID if that makes sense.

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Apr-17-17 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I've Always Wondered How Premier Feels About Breakbeat Lou"
In response to Reply # 1

Breakbeat Lou is the genius & digger behind the legendary "Ultimate Breaks & Beats" series, but what some might not know is he was also the mysterious guy behind those "Diggin'" & "Strictly Breaks" compilations too.

I've seen pics of Premier & Lou in the same pics at certain events from Lou's IG, but not sure how Preme feels about Lou now after he have been yelling about those series for mad years and how it told people what samples he used?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2987959 Previous topic | Next topic