Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2866082

Subject: "Anyone heard of LA Symphony or Typical Cats?" Previous topic | Next topic
justin_scott
Charter member
19884 posts
Fri Jan-17-14 05:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone heard of LA Symphony or Typical Cats?"

Theres an upcoming live show with aceyalone, supernatural, typical cats, LMNO, and LA Symphony. Don't have a way to listen to them right now, but has anyone heard them? Are they dope? I've seen people post about LMNO here, but never Typical Cats or LA Symphony

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Typical Cats are real good people.
Jan 17th 2014
Heard of both. Like both, but prefer Typical Cats
Jan 17th 2014
thanks guys, i'm sold now
Jan 17th 2014

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15328 posts
Fri Jan-17-14 05:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Typical Cats are real good people."
In response to Reply # 0

they headlined a show of otherwise local acts two falls ago and I chopped it up with Qwel for a while before and after the set. They're the type of artists that tend to filter back into the crowd and chill like regular folk when they aren't on stage and it's just a real good atmosphere. They're also pretty high skill level in terms of stringing words together rhythmically in a "conscious" way.

Considering I'd see them again on their own, that lineup looks unmissable if you're into the rest of it.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44752 posts
Fri Jan-17-14 05:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Heard of both. Like both, but prefer Typical Cats"
In response to Reply # 0

LA Symphony started off as group with like six rappers and a live band. They were mostly known in the late '90s/early to mid '00s. Pigeon John used to be a member of the crew. Their stuff (especially the early stuff) had a fairly "Christian Rap" slant to it. I think the only album of theirs that I own is "Disappear Here", which I liked well enough. I think I've heard "The End is Now" as well, and it was cool enough. They're kind of like a not as good version of the Visionaries, but with live instruments.

Typical Cats is a crew out Chicago, mostly active in the early '00s. The members of the crew (Qwel, Qwazaar, and Denizen Kane) can all rap their asses off and have solid solo careers as well. After an eight-year hiatus, they released their third album, "3," in 2012. It was really good: one of the sleepers of the years and probably cracked my top 10 for the year (which is saying something, given how good 2012 was for hip-hop). Seen Qwazaar perform before, and he's dope. If they were coming up here, I'd definitely check them out.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

justin_scott
Charter member
19884 posts
Fri Jan-17-14 06:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "thanks guys, i'm sold now"
In response to Reply # 0

just don't wanna pay $40 for aceyalone (seen him twice recently, once for free) and supernat (hosting), most likely doing 20-30 min sets.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2866082 Previous topic | Next topic