Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2835847

Subject: "new NIN album is dope!!!!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
balloon
Member since May 10th 2010
427 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 04:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new NIN album is dope!!!!!!!!"
Mon Aug-26-13 04:58 PM by balloon

just listened to it on youtube and it sounds like one of the best releases of 2013. didnt expect it like it so much after hearing the first 2 singles but it dosen't disappoint! dude is funky as hell

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The direction he should have gone in after The Fragile
Aug 27th 2013
ewwwww
Aug 27th 2013
      LOL. Not like he's making trap music
Aug 27th 2013
           With Teeth is such a long time ago though
Aug 27th 2013
                Ive noticed the scoring influence since H2DA
Aug 27th 2013
                     Like I said below... he should let the NIN name go
Aug 27th 2013
                          Why let the name NIN go?
Aug 27th 2013
                          It'd be one thing if he hadn't already killed it
Aug 28th 2013
                          I think he made a mistake killing it in the first place
Aug 28th 2013
                          Trent tells me to STFU!!
Sep 05th 2013
                          RE: Like I said below... he should let the NIN name go
Sep 05th 2013
you can stream the album in full at iTunes now
Aug 27th 2013
Seven songs in... not feeling it
Aug 27th 2013
It just hit me on "Running" (not the album random thought)
Aug 27th 2013
RE: It just hit me on "Running" (not the album random thought)
Aug 27th 2013
running is very thom indeed.
Aug 28th 2013
why is he sounding like lenny kravitz?
Aug 27th 2013
yeah, i'm not sure about this at all.
Aug 27th 2013
Gonna check it when I get home
Aug 27th 2013
I fucks with this shit. Hard.
Aug 27th 2013
So far so good
Aug 27th 2013
love how the album closes
Aug 27th 2013
RE: new NIN album is dope!!!!!!!!
Aug 28th 2013
Just started checking some songs out.
Aug 28th 2013
didn't really hear the sonic youth in everything myself.
Aug 28th 2013
Shit, this is great
Aug 28th 2013
Free audiophile master = BONER
Aug 29th 2013
RE: Free audiophile master = BONER
Aug 29th 2013
read someowhere that its .."funky"..is that true?
Aug 29th 2013
Haha kinda
Sep 06th 2013
Aug 29th 2013
Inbox anyone? nm
Aug 30th 2013
Sep 04th 2013
NIN Full Headliner Set Video From Lollapalooza:
Sep 05th 2013
various methods of escape-
Sep 06th 2013
His albums are always worth a listen for mixing alone.
Sep 08th 2013
Actually you should be thanking Alan Moulder for the mixing
Sep 08th 2013
      Knew that when I wrote it (but wrote it anyway)
Sep 08th 2013
           RE: Knew that when I wrote it (but wrote it anyway)
Sep 09th 2013

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 08:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "The direction he should have gone in after The Fragile"
In response to Reply # 0

Trent's mastered agro synths and guitar years ago
Trent's mastered extremely layered production years ago.

But as a songwriter he's kind of been spinning his wheels. Not sure how I like this in comparison to his other work, but its clear he's writing songs on a better level than before in addition to some of the best production work he's pulled off. It's obvious that the rise of the laptop beatmaker have influenced half the songs seem to have a 808 bass beat as a base before he just kind of shits on everyone with what he's got crammed and programmed in there, lol.

It's like he finally stopped being beholden to his industrial roots and is much freer because of it.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ewwwww"
In response to Reply # 1

your opinion makes me make that face sometime. thankfully i'll listen for myself but... wow. abandoning his industrial roots for a laptop production influence. yeah.... i wish I'd never read that.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 09:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "LOL. Not like he's making trap music"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Aug-27-13 10:19 AM by BigReg

but alot of these tracks stripped down could easily be dance tracks...not to say they still aren't ominous and dark.

Trent always had a dancey side in his drum programming but imho he always would relegate it to a track or two on an album to keep the beats brutal and heavy(my leaving industrial behind comment), here they appear all over on the album even on the darker stuff...it's just more interesting all around.

My beef is that at times his anger seemed less organic then his rock star heroin addict years, and made him come off as cheesier. Its imho why With Teeth was kinda an ehh, album but he got his fire back when he went a bit more political with Year Zero and Slip

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 10:23 AM

5. "With Teeth is such a long time ago though"
In response to Reply # 3

>My beef is that at times his anger seemed less organic then
>his rock star heroin addict years, and made him come off as
>cheesier. Its imho why With Teeth was kinda an ehh, album

It's his detox album. It's not like he settled into that as you stated:

>but
>he got his fire back when he went a bit more political with
>Year Zero and Slip

So how does this measure up to those two. How is it distinct from H2DA? Can you hear the scoring influence in this?

I'm going to give it a listen today and be back.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:13 AM

8. "Ive noticed the scoring influence since H2DA"
In response to Reply # 5

Obviously his movie production work is simpler and more stripped down; can't really have awkwardly timed beats or crazy synths going around since it's supposed to add to the movie experience and not be the main focal point. However I think without having the crutch of 'big hard rock moment here' or being forced to work within a verse/chorus/verse world freed him to explore more what he can do production wise...working with only a few unclutterd tracks make you really think of what you can do to mix it up and not sound too bland.

So now that he can get more complex with it in his own works he's going nuts...as music is concerned Destroy Angels and Hesitation Marks are clearly more complex production pieces then he's had in the past taken on a song by song basis.

Btw I might still end up liking em Zero and Slip more than Hestiation Marks as an initial listen but I guess I am just a bit geeked for him to throw such a curveball at this stage in his career, along with him uping the density of his production.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:36 AM

10. "Like I said below... he should let the NIN name go"
In response to Reply # 8

And do him. Production on this has got some great gems, but I just don't hear it as NIN pretty much at all. I think his apathy on "While I'm Still Here" captures what I mean. It's the end of the world and he's just cool? Ehhhh come on... DO SOMETHING!!

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 07:06 PM

15. "Why let the name NIN go?"
In response to Reply # 10

Is it because you feel like NIN sound should be one particular sound and not "evolve" into something like this? I mean it's not a GNR scenario...it's always been his total and complete show so I feel like this is just where he is as a musician in his 40's.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 07:39 AM

22. "It'd be one thing if he hadn't already killed it"
In response to Reply # 15

But he has and gone on to do other things outside of it. Then he announces a big NIN reunion. Now when you dead your 'band' start doing a bunch of other stuff and then reform it, the expectations, from mea at least is that the reformation is an attempt to go back to the sound that the band captured. This isn't that to my ears, but an extension of what he's been doing since which doesn't fit under the monikers used for those other things. So why go back to the NIN name. Leave that in the past as you already tried to do and push this as the next thing you're doing. I think I'd hear it differently if that was the case, but all I can get from this is, doesn't sound like a proper NIN record worth 'reuniting' for.

And just to note that while NIN has always been just about Trent, it's really about how Trent has interacted with the folk around him. He's got a shit ton of talent make no mistake, but the folk that have gone in and out of NIN are just as critical to the sound as him.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Luke Cage
3047 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 11:45 PM

24. "I think he made a mistake killing it in the first place"
In response to Reply # 22

I always feel like when artist retire or say they are done with a certain part of their history, especially one that's so much a part of why they are who they are, they always regret it. It's like Prince saying he will never play any of his hits again and then a year later he's ripping out Purple Rain in Vegas. I understand it from a certain standpoint of not wanting to live in the past all the time but it seems like artists always end up going back on their word when it comes to things like killing off a name or not performing certain songs.

>But he has and gone on to do other things outside of it.
>Then he announces a big NIN reunion. Now when you dead your
>'band' start doing a bunch of other stuff and then reform it,
>the expectations, from mea at least is that the reformation is
>an attempt to go back to the sound that the band captured.
>This isn't that to my ears, but an extension of what he's been
>doing since which doesn't fit under the monikers used for
>those other things. So why go back to the NIN name. Leave
>that in the past as you already tried to do and push this as
>the next thing you're doing. I think I'd hear it differently
>if that was the case, but all I can get from this is, doesn't
>sound like a proper NIN record worth 'reuniting' for.

The thing that has made Trent one of my favorite artist to check for is that he never got stuck in just one lane. Early NIN doesn't sound like mid career NIN and now this new stuff to me just sounds like a natural progression. It doesn't sound like he's reaching or doing something outside of who he is as an artist so I'm digging it thus far.
>
>And just to note that while NIN has always been just about
>Trent, it's really about how Trent has interacted with the
>folk around him. He's got a shit ton of talent make no
>mistake, but the folk that have gone in and out of NIN are
>just as critical to the sound as him.

Most definitely he has always chosen some really talented and interesting folks to play off of his ideas but there isn't one person that I've ever looked at as an essential partner to NIN or there sound. I'm sure this is blasphemous to some people but he has always reminded me of James Brown in that sense. You can't deny the talent and influence of the players but no matter who you put with Trent it's still very much his ship.
>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 11:38 PM

33. "Trent tells me to STFU!!"
In response to Reply # 15

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/04/218961237/trent-reznor-im-not-the-same-person-i-was-20-years-ago?sc=fb&cc=fmp

"when you've been around for a while and you've created, essentially, a brand, that has a certain level of expectation. And it encourages you to not color outside the lines if you pay too much attention to what you expect that fan base wants from you...

"it lessened my faith that I am reaching an audience that is open-minded enough to understand what I'm trying to do. That's what I thought off the bat. And then I thought, 'I really don't care what you think.' We wouldn't be sitting here doing an interview, because my career would have been over 24 years ago, if I'd have listened to what I think people want to hear from me."

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 01:27 PM

32. "RE: Like I said below... he should let the NIN name go"
In response to Reply # 10

After sitting with this album the past few days, its slowly revealing itself. Its by no stretch his best, or close to it, but his production skills are still amazing and beyond creative. Getting to your point about the world ending and him being indifferent about it, you have to realize that this is the much older Trent. He has a family now and no longer has that rebel/against the world mentality. The music hasnt changed by the content has to some degree. You dont want him to play a character, do you?

signature pose.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16581 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 09:53 AM

4. "you can stream the album in full at iTunes now"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:03 AM

6. "Seven songs in... not feeling it"
In response to Reply # 0

He has some choice drum programming, but everything else is just like meh. I wish he'd just let go of the name and released this as a Trent project or some new name.

Oh god. "Satellite" just came on. WTF is this?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:18 AM

9. "It just hit me on "Running" (not the album random thought)"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Aug-27-13 11:18 AM by imcvspl

I think Thom Yorke is threatening to him... LOL

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 10:50 PM

16. "RE: It just hit me on "Running" (not the album random thought)"
In response to Reply # 9

>I think Thom Yorke is threatening to him... LOL

haha.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 05:11 AM

21. "running is very thom indeed."
In response to Reply # 9

and funnily enough it's the first song i really got into.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 12:15 PM

11. "why is he sounding like lenny kravitz?"
In response to Reply # 6

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 12:36 PM

12. "yeah, i'm not sure about this at all."
In response to Reply # 6

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:11 AM

7. "Gonna check it when I get home"
In response to Reply # 0

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8641 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 02:54 PM

13. "I fucks with this shit. Hard."
In response to Reply # 0

A lot things surprised me on this album. I really liked the horns that came outta nowhere on the last track.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Luke Cage
3047 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 06:58 PM

14. "So far so good"
In response to Reply # 0

I usually need to give an album about 4 or 5 listens before I know if I like it or not so it's still early but I've listened to it all the way through once and I'm going to listen more when I get home tonight.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:03 PM

17. "love how the album closes"
In response to Reply # 0

Funkymusic
1559 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 12:21 AM

18. "RE: new NIN album is dope!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hes never really captured back the quality of songwriting that he had on his first 2 albums. I did however enjoy the How To Destroy Angels album.

signature pose.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 01:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Just started checking some songs out."
In response to Reply # 0

'Everything' sounds like Sonic Youth in some obvious ways. And has more major chord melodies than Trent has played throughout his entire career. Nice to see him stretch out.

'Copy of A' sounds like it's probably the centre-piece of the album. Classic NIN.

4 songs in and kinda failing to see the impact that Adrian Belew had. Was interested to see how he'd be used. "Copy of A"'s guitar solo is the most obvious time where Trent put him to work. Sounds similar to some of the Remain in Light ambient guitar stuff.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 05:07 AM

20. "didn't really hear the sonic youth in everything myself."
In response to Reply # 19

it's weird.

i feel like i *should* like this album but right now i kind of hate it.

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:37 PM

23. "Shit, this is great"
In response to Reply # 0

The way this thing shifts dramatically in tone throughout reminds me a whole lot of the Daft Punk album.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 11:20 AM

25. "Free audiophile master = BONER"
In response to Reply # 0

If u buy from the NIN store, it'll come with a free "audiophile" (ie quieter) master version.

http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/59587808317/hesitation-marks-was-mastered-in-two-different

16581 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 01:23 PM

26. "RE: Free audiophile master = BONER"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu Aug-29-13 01:28 PM by Nick Has a Problem..

that's a good offer but not worth the price. it'll end up being almost double the price of amazon.com. the CD version anyway. I want that 28 page book.

rdhull
Charter member
33155 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 03:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "read someowhere that its .."funky"..is that true?"
In response to Reply # 0

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 04:10 PM

35. "Haha kinda"
In response to Reply # 27

Funkymusic
1559 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 04:38 PM

28. "RE: new NIN album is dope!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

just heard it again. Its really a lackluster performance. Copy Of A and some other joint that i cant remember were the best ones.

signature pose.

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Fri Aug-30-13 02:21 PM

29. "Inbox anyone? nm"
In response to Reply # 0

16581 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 08:45 PM

30. "RE: new NIN album is dope!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The album is solid. I'm giving it a second spin right now. Favs upon first listen are Find My Way, All Time Low and Various Methods of Escape. The deluxe edition has a remix to While I'm Still Here by Breyer P-Orridge 'Howler' that's better than the OG IMO.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 12:42 AM

31. "NIN Full Headliner Set Video From Lollapalooza:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://prettymuchamazing.com/videos/watch-nine-inch-nails-complete-lollapalooza-2013-set

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17863 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 02:29 AM

34. "various methods of escape-"
In response to Reply # 0

*repeat*

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 02:52 AM

36. "His albums are always worth a listen for mixing alone."
In response to Reply # 0

Rappers should beg Trent to help mix their shit.

16581 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 07:56 AM

37. "Actually you should be thanking Alan Moulder for the mixing"
In response to Reply # 36

But yeah, Trent's shit stay sounding great.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 02:52 PM

38. "Knew that when I wrote it (but wrote it anyway)"
In response to Reply # 37

This shit sounds incredible on some good headphones.

16581 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 03:01 PM

39. "RE: Knew that when I wrote it (but wrote it anyway)"
In response to Reply # 38

>This shit sounds incredible on some good headphones.

Amazing! I wish rap artists paid attention to mixing like that.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2835847 Previous topic | Next topic