Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13501278

Subject: "Black Music: lost its connection to dancing?" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13956 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 03:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Black Music: lost its connection to dancing?"

The trap beats era has gone on and on....

What is this?

We used to be able to Timbaland and Pharrel and Sa-Ra

People thought Bey referencing old stuff was a sign of hope with "Renaissance"

Is that the best sign of hope for Black music's connection to dancing?

The new Black music people can kind of figure how to dance to it but....that's mental effort....not inspiration.

Bey doing Country now...so......?

Poll result (7 votes)
Yes (5 votes)Vote
Kinda (2 votes)Vote
Only if Adam Blackstone is involved somehow (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Like, hard, leave the club in a sweat 80’s/90’s dancing?
Mar 27th 2024
No
Mar 27th 2024
Nah. They got corny-ass dances for every song now.
Mar 27th 2024
Agree. That dance all night club culture is dead
Mar 27th 2024
I talked about this here
Mar 27th 2024
the spirit of todays music dsnt motivate one to dance in the traditional
Mar 27th 2024
How many clubs are around now that cater to Black music?
Mar 28th 2024
huh? It’s a bazillion dances now because of TikTok
Mar 27th 2024
Not the same young man.
Mar 27th 2024
But if the music isn't CHANGING...
Mar 27th 2024
You mean all those air traffic controllers on tiktok?
Mar 28th 2024
that fake sign language, elbow dancing is bullshit
Mar 28th 2024
OKP is SUPPOSED to make posts about stuff like this because...
Mar 28th 2024
sign language elbow dancing LMAO
Apr 11th 2024
Exactly and thats just one part of it.
Mar 28th 2024
That's why Afrobeats have become such a hit. You can still dance to them...
Mar 28th 2024
NOPE.
Mar 28th 2024
Let's examine the timeline:
Mar 28th 2024
I was thinking this
Mar 29th 2024
Forget singing - they need to do an American Idol for music producers
Mar 28th 2024
Crowds are EXTREMELY segmented now....
Apr 10th 2024
That's what I thought with this never-ending trap era, but..
Apr 10th 2024
Don't know about a comeback, but Chicago House is very much alive...
Apr 11th 2024
That's what I thought with this never-ending trap era, but..
Apr 10th 2024
Crowds have *always* been very segregated by music & other factors
Apr 10th 2024
      Has to make you wonder what was life pre-bottle service.
Apr 10th 2024
      You aren’t ild enough to remember clubs before bottle service?
Apr 10th 2024
      ppl too busy stuntin for the gram and the book to engage in whats actual...
Apr 10th 2024
           I used to live in Philly and a studio musician with the Roots
Apr 10th 2024
                yeah i work in IT but am not an IT guy by nature so im really not into
Apr 10th 2024
      I caught the very tail end of the mega-club era. Had a few year w/o...
Apr 11th 2024
      It's def been segmented forever, but the diff now is that there's no dom...
Apr 10th 2024
           The lack of a dominant mainstream kinda bugs me out for some reason
Apr 11th 2024
No.. you are just not paying attention
Apr 10th 2024
last time I went to MJQ in Atlanta it the house room was packed
Apr 11th 2024
smartphones and social media killed it.
Apr 11th 2024
Some parties I go to, phones are BANNED from the dance floor
Apr 11th 2024
      sounds like a good night.
Apr 11th 2024
      These are good rules
Apr 11th 2024
      i like this
Apr 11th 2024

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 04:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Like, hard, leave the club in a sweat 80’s/90’s dancing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Do TikTok dances not count for what you’re asking? It feels like I still see kids propping up phones to do a routine they saw on TT, I guess.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5186 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "No"
In response to Reply # 0

Not going back and forth

---------------------------
Signature

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 04:47 PM

3. "Nah. They got corny-ass dances for every song now."
In response to Reply # 0

Even thugged-out drill & trap songs got dances to them.

What it seems like they have lost is club culture, especially big club, big system, dance-all-night-until-you-are-sweaty culture. They can't get off the smartphones, texting & social media. Short attention spans & doing it for the gram. Gotta worry about people recording shit and posting it online for the world to see so people are afraid to cut loose and dance like crazy and anymore.

The Bobblehead Man
Member since Jan 04th 2006
88 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 08:05 PM

8. "Agree. That dance all night club culture is dead "
In response to Reply # 3

>Even thugged-out drill & trap songs got dances to them.
>
>What it seems like they have lost is club culture, especially
>big club, big system, dance-all-night-until-you-are-sweaty
>culture. They can't get off the smartphones, texting & social
>media. Short attention spans & doing it for the gram. Gotta
>worry about people recording shit and posting it online for
>the world to see so people are afraid to cut loose and dance
>like crazy and anymore.
>
>

The push to emphasize tables & bottle service as part of the club experience killed that.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 05:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I talked about this here"
In response to Reply # 0

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3029161&mesg_id=3029161&listing_type=search#3029191

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10137 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 06:47 PM

5. "the spirit of todays music dsnt motivate one to dance in the traditional"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-27-24 06:47 PM by mikediggz

"club" sense, because the writers and performers of today cant relate to a time when it was fly as fuck to be able to dance. back in the day dancing (breaking etc) was just as big a part of the culture as the djing and mcing.

so much so that soon after the breaking era mcs had dancers as a part of their stage shows. if scoob and scrap arent some of the flyest niggas ever to do it, or you didnt fuck with the EPMD you gots to chill video or Kool G's road to the riches video then you arent part of that era. which is ok. these are just difft times. back in the 80s and 90s me and my homeys couldnt WAIT to hit the dancefloor.

all music forms back then, house, reggae, hiphop and uptempo r&b made u wanna dance because dancing was half of the fun. when your jam came on and you were in the zone you could feel all eyes on you. you could command the whole spot lol. and if your partner was nice too? sheeeit

its just a difft era now. i have this convo with ppl from my age group from time to time and i always mention that one thing i really miss about the late 80s and 90s was the dancing aspect of the clubs and parties.

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13784 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 08:32 AM

15. "How many clubs are around now that cater to Black music?"
In response to Reply # 5

In the 90’s-early 00’s Chicago use to have a ton of clubs that catered to Blacks on certain nights. But somewhere around 05 those clubs either closed, were force closed or as recently as 7mos ago in my hood, were burned down.

However the clubs are losing walls and becoming bbq outings for the whole fam. The few clubs (all white owned) that do offer the club experience only do it on certain nights and not consistently. However, Black dance culture still remains and while we(older gen) are knocking socmed as not like the old days, whites still have no problem stealing our kid’s dance moves and claiming them as to their own on late night tv shows.

I’ll just say unless we provide the place/clubs for our kids to come to, we will only see them dance at h.s events, socmed (tiktok&insta), or a family bbq. But just cause we havent provided that space doesnt mean Black music is removed from dance.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85057 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 07:18 PM

6. "huh? It’s a bazillion dances now because of TikTok "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

mikediggz
10137 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 08:01 PM

7. "Not the same young man."
In response to Reply # 6

c71
13956 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 08:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "But if the music isn't CHANGING..."
In response to Reply # 6

...like going from Tim and the Neptune's to Rich Harrison to Sa-Ra.....

...are people really connected to dance (as evidenced by producers coming up with stuff to make dancers move different)?

People now aren't reflecting a need to move different because the music isn't changing.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 07:17 AM

10. "You mean all those air traffic controllers on tiktok?"
In response to Reply # 6

Do folks ever do all that hand gesturing passing for dancing at clubs?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 07:31 AM

12. "that fake sign language, elbow dancing is bullshit"
In response to Reply # 6

I almost made a post about this because my wife is a dance professor and the amount of non dancing ass niggas who can’t move their feet is ridiculous these days.

These students complained because they didn’t want to dance on video for a DANCE CLASS!!

That waist high bullshit ain’t dancing!!! lol

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

c71
13956 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 11:15 AM

16. "OKP is SUPPOSED to make posts about stuff like this because..."
In response to Reply # 12

...the way the music and dance is obviously DECLINING "somethin'" is happening.

For Real

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 12:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
31. "sign language elbow dancing LMAO"
In response to Reply # 12

perfect. stolen.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

3CardMolly
13784 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 08:20 AM

14. "Exactly and thats just one part of it."
In response to Reply # 6

Club dancing still occurs to.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 07:18 AM

11. "That's why Afrobeats have become such a hit. You can still dance to them..."
In response to Reply # 0

I also see our guy R-Tistic describing on X how R&B parties are becoming the hot parties to go to these days.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

3CardMolly
13784 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 08:18 AM

13. "NOPE."
In response to Reply # 0

I’m in Chicago so house still sweats out hair, not to mention when the summertime hits there’s the house picnic and a multitude of house music events throughout the city. As for club dancing from 80’s - 00’s r&b and hiphop, it still goes on and the 90’s and early 00’s babies dance til the lights come on.

As for the genZ and under they keep it up on tiktok, dance teams etc. The kids still know who MJ and James Brown is and incorporate the moves into whatever dance they do. Then you got Afro-beat and they love to show what they know.

Black music is far from some drab ass rapper with a repetitive beat and we really need to stop fitting ourselves and our creations in a negative box.

c71
13956 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 12:05 PM

17. "Let's examine the timeline:"
In response to Reply # 0

Ahem...

Mo matter how much boogie-type blues fans loved dancing to John Lee Hooker, etc. by the mid-60's, they had to admit a new wave was REALLY enjoying dancing to Aretha, the Temps, Sam & Dave, etc.

No matter how much soul fans loved dancing to Sam & Dave and the Temps, they had to admit by the mid-70's a new wave was REALLY enjoying dancing to disco, Barry White and Gamble & Huff

No matter how much disco fans like dancing to Barry White, by the late 80's, they had to admit a new wave REALLY liked dancing to New Jack Swing.

No matter how much New Jack Swing fans liked dancing to Guy, by the early 2000's they had to admit a new wave really liked dancing to Timbaland, The Neptunes, and Rich Harrison.

So....can us Timbaland fans REALLY admit or perceive the new wave REALLY like dancing to this new era....?

3CardMolly
13784 posts
Fri Mar-29-24 12:29 PM

19. "I was thinking this"
In response to Reply # 17

We (late 30’s - mid 50’s) really dont know how the kids do what they do these days pertaining to clubbin/partying and rather they work up a sweat or not.

Although the lil of dance we see from them via tiktok, doesnt look like a workout, there are full fledge dance styles (footworkin, jit’n etc) vs just one dance move (whop, running man). Also whereas in our day white folks would take our dance styles/music&fashion and milk them down on a dvd for profit, thanks to socmed the kids can show they are the originator and cut down on white girls on Jimmy Kimmel claiming them.

Even with the odd beats of mushmouth rappin and repetitious highhat sounds, the kids create their own dance styles and dare I say the dances have outdone the music tremendously. Just cause it aint for our time and liking doesnt mean its not Black dance or Black music.

c71
13956 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 04:21 PM

18. "Forget singing - they need to do an American Idol for music producers"
In response to Reply # 0

Tim and Swiz and Pharrell and Rich Harrison and Rodney Jerkins and Sa-Ra Creative Partners for the judges

Not singers - we need judges to pick out who can come up with the new rhythms and sounds...because no other type of platform: radio, YouTube, IG, Tik Tok, is finding or promoting the producers who can REALLY come up with the new sound.

this situation requires a high-level "American Idol" type intervention. Real soon.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 12:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Crowds are EXTREMELY segmented now...."
In response to Reply # 0

It's where....I can go to Everyday people, an Afrobeats party, or this underground party called Heat Check, and folks are dancing HARD, the entire time. The music is primarily Upbeat throwback R&B, Renaissance, Kaytranada/Soulection, Afrobeats/Amapiano, and a whole, whole, whole lotta edits.

But when it comes to "da club" as in the trendy types of spots that are filled with hookah, bottle service, bottle girls doing their synchronized dance, and potential rapper appearances, it doesn't matter what city you go to....nobody dances. It's boring, primarily slow Trap music.

It shows how segmented things are when you look at a song like Bossman Dlow "Get in with me." It's by FAR the biggest at the bottle service, Trap, Hip Hop only types of spots...but at the first batch of parties I mentioned, it might not even be known by half the crowd.

At some parties that are more like the day party scene, or anything that's women driven...they Twerk all day to the Sexxy Red, Meg, GloRilla, etc etc, but that's damn near the only thing that they do. It's ONLY Twerk songs, and not many actual dancing songs.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

c71
13956 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 12:52 AM

21. "That's what I thought with this never-ending trap era, but.."
In response to Reply # 20

...people in here saying Chicago House music comeback and TikTok dance crazes are saying otherwise.

Sure.....right.....

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 10:48 AM

36. "Don't know about a comeback, but Chicago House is very much alive..."
In response to Reply # 21
Thu Apr-11-24 10:54 AM by flipnile

...with us oldheads (the 40+ crowd). NYC House too. I'm up in NYC a handful of times per year dancing, and hit up the picnic in Chicago every summer. Young people don't seem to be into house music that much (the music or the vibe), so I don't think a comeback is in the works. It's mostly oldheads living our best lives at this point.

I don't know what young people are doing however. I assumed they still go and dance in the clubs since they dance in every damned social media video. Like every video... dancing while eating chicken, dancing in their living room, dancing at the gas station, dancing at waffle house, etc.

Only new (last 20 years) music I really listen to is house, rock & soul, so I'm pretty cut-off from what's currently popping.

c71
13956 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 12:52 AM

22. "That's what I thought with this never-ending trap era, but.."

...people in here saying Chicago House music comeback and TikTok dance crazes are saying otherwise.

Sure.....right.....

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 11:00 AM

23. "Crowds have *always* been very segregated by music & other factors"
Wed Apr-10-24 11:06 AM by flipnile

At least since the late 90s, there was the majority/mainstream Hip Hop & R&B crowd, and there was everyone else that were factioned off into their own scenes (including underground hip hop). Mainstream folks seem to think their experience is *the* experience so everything else largely goes unnoticed.

It's probably becoming more apparent people in our age group get older and are falling out of the "mainstream."

I'm a househead, so it's always been obvious how segregated different scenes are. I still regularly go out dancing in Philly & NYC, and go to the picnic in Chicago in the summer with a bunch of other middle-aged black people.

Edit: Admittedly, I'm not sure what younger (~30yo or younger) people are doing with themselves. I usually only go out to events with people around my age or older.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 11:13 AM

24. "Has to make you wonder what was life pre-bottle service. "
In response to Reply # 23

Bottle Service made it so that you can be the main event of a party without actually dancing.

Seems to me like that would mean pre-bottle service everyone was dancing.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 11:39 AM

25. "You aren’t ild enough to remember clubs before bottle service? "
In response to Reply # 24

and I don’t think bottle service is the reason.

Its smartphones

think about concerts before smartphones. We were engaged, dancing, singing, having a ball

look at concerts now. Tons of people holding up cellphones to record

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mikediggz
10137 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 01:23 PM

27. "ppl too busy stuntin for the gram and the book to engage in whats actual..."
In response to Reply # 25

taking place lol

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 03:10 PM

28. "I used to live in Philly and a studio musician with the Roots "
In response to Reply # 27

always had the newest phones. There was a time when small phones were in style and this dude shows up with a phone with a full color screen on it.

He used to pull broads just off his phone. Shit was like moths to a flame.

Shoulda known then that phones were going to run the world.

mikediggz
10137 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 03:37 PM

29. "yeah i work in IT but am not an IT guy by nature so im really not into"
In response to Reply # 28

the gadgets and such like some of my coworkers... when the new phones are about to drop these cats are super amped up lol. they had to force me to give up my flip phone back in 2016 because i couldnt tap into everything i needed to be up on. so they provided me with my first iphone.

im not mad at smart tech but the fact that ppl are more concerned with filming the concert as opposed to actually watching the concert is a crazy shift.

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 08:14 AM

32. "I caught the very tail end of the mega-club era. Had a few year w/o..."
In response to Reply # 24

...bottle service (at least I don't remember it being a thing in 99/00/01). Don't remember tables or VIP sections either, tho I assume they were around then. The cell phone w/ minutes era. Free after 8pm. No social media to upload pics and video to. I remember the sparklers they'd put in the bottle when they were bringing it over making a big scene, and used to think "wtf is that corny shit?"

Once the smartphones came out there was an overnight shift in behaviour. All of a sudden folks were in the club staring at their phones texting instead of interacting. Social media came later and made it 10x worse.

I also remember that dancing kinda sucked back then in the big mainstream spots... was mainly that meat-market, trying to find love in the club or get attention type vibe. Not surprised how the dancing kept evolving the way it did to mostly attention-seeking or trying to holler (instead of getting sweaty actually dancing for fun).

One of the main reasons I started exclusively going to house spots... so I could get lit and dance by myself freely, lol.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 05:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "It's def been segmented forever, but the diff now is that there's no dom..."
In response to Reply # 23

Yeah, it's always been underground Hip Hop, diff regional scenes, the fly lounge vs the hood club, the Dancehall club, etc etc

What's different now is that...there's not much of a dominant mainstream. In the 2000s, you knew that you were likely to hear the songs that were on 106 & Park, Rap City, and radio, at most mainstream clubs and even some of those that weren't as commercial. But now, it's a huge diff and it's songs that can be seen as "the biggest song out," and a lot of folks won't know it because there's no common media source for everyone to hear it. In 2003-2004, EVERY single person knew Get low, Yeah, and In da club, even older folks. 2024, the biggest song as I mentioned is "Get in with me," and that's nowhere near the level of those songs. The Sexxy Red type songs are huge in most spots, but still not at the same level of the super hits in the 2000s, so it's a different time.

I'll say it's also not about "mainstream clubs" anymore, either. Most of the biggest crowds will be at the traveling parties or one offs, and there's not many huge, super clubs where you may get different styles in each room, or even just one big room with 2,000 people, so that changes things a lot.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 11:35 AM

40. "The lack of a dominant mainstream kinda bugs me out for some reason"
In response to Reply # 30

>What's different now is that...there's not much of a dominant
>mainstream.

The death of the mega clubs in the early 00s seemed like it hurt too. I remember going out and the DJ breaking a record playing it 4-5 times in one night, making it into a hit before it even got play on the radio.

I wonder if that's a reason why it seems like popular Black music has stagnated in the past few decades. Like, it was constantly changing every few years then it seemed like the change slowed down a lot, and no new sub-genres popped up anymore.

Seems like all this must make it hard for you as a DJ when you've got a young crowd to play for.

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4374 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 11:49 AM

26. "No.. you are just not paying attention "
In response to Reply # 0

See below from the ATL house/techno crew

https://youtu.be/hn5HEfbO6fc?feature=shared

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 08:56 AM

33. "last time I went to MJQ in Atlanta it the house room was packed"
In response to Reply # 0

that was about 5 years ago tho

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 09:52 AM

34. "smartphones and social media killed it."
In response to Reply # 0

they killed just about everything that humans used to gather to do socially for fun.

people connect less and less in person, and people are scared to let loose for fear of being recorded and then shamed on social media, even if they aren't doing anything wrong but just "dancing crazy," etc.

someone gonna film you and someone's gonna make fun of that video.

everyone thinks they are a brand and they have to be cool all the time because of it.

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 10:41 AM

35. "Some parties I go to, phones are BANNED from the dance floor"
In response to Reply # 34

Not a hard, get kicked out, ban, but the DJ will get on the mic and tell the person "no phones, put it away or get off the floor" No photos or videos, no texting or making calls, no even just holding a phone. Seems like nagging, but I really appreciate it.

Standing (or not dancing) on the dancefloor is also banned.

If I ever get a dance party started, I'm enforcing the same rules.

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 11:09 AM

37. "sounds like a good night. "
In response to Reply # 35

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 11:17 AM

38. "These are good rules"

having them in the club is a big reason why folks are hesitant to let loose.

what cracks me up is women dancing by themselves while doing selfies then when someone asks them to dance they hit them with the “ick”

I did a lot of dancing in Philly at Soma, Fluid and that French spot in Rittenhouse back before cellphones had cameras. Right before Myspace and Friendster were a thing.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 11:24 AM

39. "i like this"

the world needs more of this.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Lobby General Discussion topic #13501278 Previous topic | Next topic