Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13498212

Subject: "Anyone out here job hunting? " Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22246 posts
Tue Jan-30-24 04:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone out here job hunting? "

Any blanket advice for folks that are? I’ve had hell trying to get through the process for as long as I’ve been a professional.
And I’m willing to hear any just random tips or insights

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
unfortunately it seems like it's either a numbers game or networking
Jan 31st 2024
having been on the other side of it even more times now
Jan 31st 2024
yeah
Jan 31st 2024
I see a lot of people invest like 90% LinkedIn/10% Networking
Jan 31st 2024
what kind of job are you looking for?
Feb 01st 2024
I typed a whole thing and turned the computer off.
Feb 01st 2024
My company is hiring
Feb 01st 2024
its how I ended up back at my old gig
Feb 01st 2024
1). Network. 2). Customize your resume for the position
Feb 01st 2024
Well… you could create a social media image
Feb 03rd 2024
Position was eliminated. 8 weeks severance on the table
Feb 07th 2024
Interviewer asked me how my role was eliminated but the company is hirin...
Feb 26th 2024
Fuck kinda interview question is that? Sorry bro.
Feb 26th 2024
It's very common. It's because of restructuring. Google is doing it.
Feb 26th 2024
This sucks. Definitely take time to recalibrate
Feb 26th 2024
      Yeah. I knew the answer answer but not an interview answer.
Feb 26th 2024
Unemployment rate is at like 4%
Feb 26th 2024
My blanket advice is that so many jobs today come from recruiting.
Feb 26th 2024

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 07:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "unfortunately it seems like it's either a numbers game or networking"
In response to Reply # 0

you put in a million applications & hope for the best or you have the kind of network you can rely on for connecting you with opportunities.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94879 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 09:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "having been on the other side of it even more times now"
In response to Reply # 0

most of whether or not you're considered has very little to do with you, it's hard as hell but you really can't take it personally at any step of the process.

I know people say a lot of stuff about keywords, this that and the other, and I don't know how accurate that is or isn't, what I can say is that with the recruiters I've worked with, I don't think it matters. they are looking for certain things and you either have them or you don't, the hidden text in your resume wasn't the difference

I think the thing that is less often mentioned, at least from what I've seen, is that a lot of the job listings you see aren't real -- I'll explain.

either they don't have the budget yet in some cases, or it's for a job they already have someone tabbed for, they just have to put up a listing. especially for the ones that just kind of...quietly show up in one area but don't seem to have anyone sharing them and the requirements are real weird, almost like they don't want anyone to apply? .... feel free to apply, especially if you think it would be a good fit for you, but if you don't get a call back it's because you were never going to.

for the real jobs, networking is everything, knowing someone there, knowing the hiring manager, knowing what they're looking for or (see above) knowing that the job is available before it's ever listed, is everything. it just is.

spend time on your resume, make sure it's clear, and probably have more than one version depending on what you're looking for, but how it looks matters a lot less than people think. I have a significantly worse-looking resume, with a lot fewer items on it, than anyone I've ever considered, interviewed, or hired. what I have is a track record and I know people.

your resume and cover letter gets you to the recruiter screening, which (in the processes I've been in) means your resume has probably also already been looked at and probably greenlighted by the hiring manager. some people can screw up a recruiter screening, it takes work, but it's happened, they do this all day and they don't want to reject you but they will if what you're saying doesn't add up.

after that, it's all about understanding who is actually doing the hiring, who they have to answer to, and what problems they need to solve. this sounds simple but a lot of people don't get it? I've had people in interviews insult my coworkers (mostly unknowingly), or people who work somewhere else who I know do good work. everybody knows everybody, in every industry, be careful. if you have a gap, or had an issue, or whatever, you need a good story for it that checks out.

idk what else, renegotiating once you actually have the offer -- it's your choice but I'm a big fan of it. I really don't think it can hurt you at any reputable place, they have a budget and you need to get as much of it as you can, or more, and this may be your last chance with real leverage. once someone has been OK'd, the budget is ok'd, and the bosses have agreed this is the person -- no one wants to go through that process again.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

will_5198
Charter member
63024 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 10:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 2

>either they don't have the budget yet in some cases, or it's
>for a job they already have someone tabbed for, they just have
>to put up a listing. especially for the ones that just kind
>of...quietly show up in one area but don't seem to have anyone
>sharing them and the requirements are real weird, almost like
>they don't want anyone to apply? .... feel free to apply,
>especially if you think it would be a good fit for you, but if
>you don't get a call back it's because you were never going
>to.

further you move up, A LOT of jobs are already taken before the posting hits. and the ones that are truly open have some kind of issue that scared away enough internal candidates who could have had it (not always, but it is a trend).

>for the real jobs, networking is everything, knowing someone
>there, knowing the hiring manager, knowing what they're
>looking for or (see above) knowing that the job is available
>before it's ever listed, is everything. it just is.

the more important the job, the more whoever is hiring or has to deal with the consequences wants someone they are comfortable with. and yeah, that starts with networking. even meeting the right person one time can make a huge difference.

--------

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5601 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 11:07 PM

4. "I see a lot of people invest like 90% LinkedIn/10% Networking"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-31-24 11:09 PM by GOMEZ

flip that. I see a lot of people grinding away on job application sites and posting stuff like "i've applied to 300+ jobs w/no luck!" I don't blame them, but also that speaks to the fact that it's not an effective use of your time.

LinkedIn or any other job listing platform is pretty low odds at success (at least in my industry and experience). I've landed a few convos from there, but they were pretty low quality. In some cases you can reach out to the hiring manager and send them a message on linkedin - that can help you get a look.
The best convos I've had and honestly how I've gotten my last 3 gigs has been the network. Also even if it's someone I don't really know super well at a place I'm applying at, I'll hit them up like 'hey I was looking at a role at your company and I know a lot of places have referral programs'. Employee referrals will at least help you get a look and maybe a screening interview.

Get scrappy, get resourceful. It's fucked out here.

*edit - i know linkedin is a 'networking' platform, but it seems less about actual networking these days. And people get lost in the sauce applying to LinkedIn's top recommendations or 'jobs where you'd be a top candidate'

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35842 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 12:25 AM

5. "what kind of job are you looking for?"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm asking because you might consider taking those skillsets and looking on the nonprofit side. The hiring process is mostly alot more transparent and humane.

there's still alot of competition so you gotta submit applications on the first day of the posting

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23835 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 01:31 AM

6. "I typed a whole thing and turned the computer off."
In response to Reply # 0

Basically, shoot shots and stay organized. Beware of whatever scams there could be in the field(s) you’re applying for. Use as many AI tools as you can to save some time.

My current contract is up in April so I’ll be back bustin shots. I’m setting money aside to use this Octaply.ai thing I’ve been seeing.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14579 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 08:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "My company is hiring"
In response to Reply # 0

Take a look at the job site, if anyone sees a requisition number they like, shoot it to me and I can send an employee referral link:
https://www.compassgroupcareers.com

Bonus, I'm a manager of a CloudEngineering team, I'll be looking for a Senior Linux Engineer soon. If you or someone you know fit that, get a resume to me. AWS expertise, FSX-N highly valued.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79049 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 09:12 AM

8. "its how I ended up back at my old gig"
In response to Reply # 0

Thought I had something due to networking but I guess I didn’t look as attractive as I thought I did.

Its cold out there and I’m going to try again (while I have a gig) and see if I get more opportunities.

Another part of me is like “can I grind this out until retirement?” because I’m fucking tired of working.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15890 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 11:46 AM

9. "1). Network. 2). Customize your resume for the position "
In response to Reply # 0

1. For an online job posting, there are hundreds or thousands of applicants. A good portion are just as qualified as you for the job. So how do you happen to be ones of the 3 people interviewed. Well it's a lot more likely if you are not some faceless name in the pile.

Having someone in the process aware that you exist goes a long way to getting an interview.

Resume: mass submitting generic resumes will cause you to miss out on opportunities. Many organizations use computers to do a first screening. If what is in your resume does not coincide with what they are looking for, you are automatically dropped. So tailor your resume to get past the filter by matching your experiences with what the posting is looking for.

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13642 posts
Sat Feb-03-24 07:00 PM

10. "Well… you could create a social media image"
In response to Reply # 0

Around your job search rt now. Might pull a following, $$$$$ and a job.

MEAT
22246 posts
Wed Feb-07-24 03:14 PM

11. "Position was eliminated. 8 weeks severance on the table"
In response to Reply # 0

2 months COBRA. I’ll more than likely just sign the paper and move on.
I was offered to apply for other jobs within the company since my reviews were good but I think I’m gonna take some time and recalibrate.
I got to the top of the profession with all of the certifications and experience and I feel nothing but burn out

Thank you for the responses. They’ve definitely helped with perspective and approach.

------

MEAT
22246 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 01:04 PM

12. "Interviewer asked me how my role was eliminated but the company is hirin..."
In response to Reply # 11

And I just didnt have a good answer for the man. But after interviewing I don’t think we’d make a good fit.

------

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59080 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 01:22 PM

13. "Fuck kinda interview question is that? Sorry bro."
In response to Reply # 12

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49274 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 07:41 PM

16. "It's very common. It's because of restructuring. Google is doing it. "
In response to Reply # 12

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/google-lays-off-thousands-more-210822278.html

My company is currently doing it. Company's sometimes want to divest in some areas for the purpose of investing in other areas.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79049 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 01:44 PM

14. "This sucks. Definitely take time to recalibrate"
In response to Reply # 11

I LOVED the time off but HATED the uncertainty I knew was at the end of that severance.

Really wished I couldve found something remote during that time.

I actually need to start looking again just cause..

Good luck

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22246 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 08:20 PM

18. "Yeah. I knew the answer answer but not an interview answer. "
In response to Reply # 14

Like dude should know enough about the company Im coming from to understand that that shits thunderdome.
The hope for me is that I don’t have to reapply.
It was mentioned multiple times that my reviews were good and I could choose to apply to other roles. But I was done done.
Having the largest public racist as the CEO while also being a DEI chair in addition to the job … was a lot.

------

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32053 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 04:42 PM

15. "Unemployment rate is at like 4%"
In response to Reply # 0

But we’re not looking for data. Just vibes

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49274 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 07:46 PM

17. "My blanket advice is that so many jobs today come from recruiting. "
In response to Reply # 0

I should say jobs of a certain type. But the big change I've observed in the last ten years in my world is that instead of people looking for jobs and sending off resumes, the goal today is to have a LinkedIn profile that has all the right keywords and triggers so that recruiters can easily find you.

Now I don't know if that is true of all sectors, industries, etc., but it's important to have a banging LinkedIn page if you work in one of the fields where it does matter.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13498212 Previous topic | Next topic