Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13497178

Subject: "The Book of Clarence" Previous topic | Next topic
3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13875 posts
Tue Jan-16-24 03:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Book of Clarence"

Whats your take?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It was a lot to take in. But nearly every review so far completely whiff...
Jan 16th 2024
The camera work
Jan 19th 2024
The trailer did nothing for me, but response to the film has been good
Jan 16th 2024
RE: The trailer did nothing for me, but response to the film has been go...
Jan 19th 2024
yeah.. is it a comedy? Satire?
Jan 19th 2024
      This how I felt watching it honestly.
Jan 19th 2024
      It was kinda deep yet
Jan 20th 2024
Man can one of yall whose seen it just say whether it's good or bad?
Jan 19th 2024
Its a series of short stories, told through one central character
Jan 19th 2024
It wasn't bad.
Jan 19th 2024
I don't think it works.
Jan 19th 2024
Still trying to figure who Jeymes Samuel is.
Jan 19th 2024
It’s good
Jan 20th 2024

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22274 posts
Tue Jan-16-24 09:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It was a lot to take in. But nearly every review so far completely whiff..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-16-24 09:23 AM by MEAT

Personally I need a second or third watch because that was a weird ebb and flow of suspense that I just am not used to. It felt very original.
The camera work though. I don’t recall seeing Black skin look so good in so many different lighting styles on the big screen.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

3CardMolly
13875 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 12:20 AM

3. "The camera work"
In response to Reply # 1

Was so on point. Much like the bible, there were stories in stories so it did become a little here there & everywhere but still stayed on track.

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Tue Jan-16-24 09:09 AM

2. "The trailer did nothing for me, but response to the film has been good"
In response to Reply # 0

So now I can't wait to see it.

3CardMolly
13875 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 12:23 AM

4. "RE: The trailer did nothing for me, but response to the film has been go..."
In response to Reply # 2

The trailer leaves out a lot which I think is good. Def see the movie.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79788 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 08:45 AM

5. "yeah.. is it a comedy? Satire? "
In response to Reply # 2

I was hype and then halfway thru the trailer I was confused what the actual movie was about.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8103 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 09:10 AM

6. "This how I felt watching it honestly."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Jan-19-24 09:14 AM by Monkey Genius

I gotta watch it again, cause I kept waiting for a 'message'. And either the message flew over my head, or it was just a story. Which is cool. As a regular narrative comedy/dramedy, it works. My brain was just set up the wrong way for what I was watching.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

3CardMolly
13875 posts
Sat Jan-20-24 12:20 AM

12. "It was kinda deep yet "
In response to Reply # 5

Showed the more things change the more they stay the same. There were some chuckle moments such as John the Baptist slapping the shit out of Clarence but its no parts a comedy. As with the bible, lots of things are be left up to interpretation such as seeing the relationship of Hebrews and Romans just as it is today (Blacks/Whites). There’s a number of messages and can seem all over the place but the story line remains solid.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 09:24 AM

7. "Man can one of yall whose seen it just say whether it's good or bad?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yall being mighty cryptic.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22274 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 09:31 AM

8. "Its a series of short stories, told through one central character "
In response to Reply # 7

It’s like little Ive seen before. Because while there’s world building, it doesn’t stray too far ever from Lakeith. He’s gotta be in like 95% of the scenes.

I enjoyed it. I’ll watch it again. But I struggle to tell someone else if it was good or bad because it was so different.

And respect to the team that cut the trailer because they clearly came away with the same take away “how the hell we sell this movie to people”

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8103 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 09:32 AM

9. "It wasn't bad."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jan-19-24 09:34 AM by Monkey Genius

Personally, I just went in for Mexican food and ate sushi for 2 hours waiting for Mexican food to come out. It wasn't bad sushi, though. Just gotta revisit with the right expectations.

It's not a satire unless I missed the point. Just go in and enjoy the story.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86676 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 02:21 PM

10. "I don't think it works."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jan-19-24 02:23 PM by Frank Longo

I respect Samuel for taking the swing-- and I *really* liked The Harder They Fall, fwiw-- but this movie is several movies of different tones all meshed into one. Also think it has some pacing issues. Individual scenes work, certain shots and lines of dialogue pop, but the movie as a whole does not imo.

All that said, there's enough talent on display that I'll gladly see Samuel's next movie the second it drops. This is clearly a "blank check" type of movie, and it's always good to see filmmakers refusing to play it safe.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49491 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 03:26 PM

11. "Still trying to figure who Jeymes Samuel is. "
In response to Reply # 10

Like dude's first feature he manages to get everyone in it (and to his credit, he killed it). And by his second movie he get's a "blank check" opportunity with everyone in it.

All I can make of it is that he's got Jay-Z behind him which seems to be enough.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

3CardMolly
13875 posts
Sat Jan-20-24 12:37 AM

13. "It’s good"
In response to Reply # 7

My 13.5 ye old got it but said it shouldve been a series.
Hubby liked it although some of the messages flew over his head and he’s s hardass sale on most movies I like.

In addition to stories from the bible such as the story of Paul(Saul) it also gives these…
-The boy that cried wolf
- Fake it til you make it
- Westside story
- Nino Brown & G Money on the roof
- Every hated cop scene from every 90’s Black movie
- Jason Vorhees as a good friend
- Cornbread, Earl & Me
- Face Off

Just go watch the flick and come to your own decision. It wont be a waste of time.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13497178 Previous topic | Next topic