Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13496343

Subject: "Dr. Claudine Gay…" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Dr. Claudine Gay…"

Man, higher Ed neo liberalism just keeps getting worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/02/us/claudine-gay-harvard#claudine-gay-resignation-letter-harvard

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Had a feeling she wouldn’t make it
Jan 02nd 2024
once they found plagiarism in her doctoral dissertation it was a wrap
Jan 02nd 2024
      *citation needed*
Jan 08th 2024
Never good when ventiure capitalists try to run academic institutions
Jan 02nd 2024
^ all of this.
Jan 02nd 2024
Great summation
Jan 03rd 2024
Christopher Rufo and the New York Post led the charge for her removal
Jan 02nd 2024
all these folk hate higher ed
Jan 02nd 2024
As disgusting as Rufo is, it was ackman that really influenced it I thin...
Jan 05th 2024
that sucks
Jan 02nd 2024
yep!
Jan 02nd 2024
Yup
Jan 02nd 2024
Their reputation has taken a hit over all this
Jan 02nd 2024
What ?
Jan 04th 2024
What happened to Julianna Marguilies?
Jan 02nd 2024
so.. where do folks actually stand on this free speech debate
Jan 03rd 2024
more speech >> less speech
Jan 03rd 2024
good take and yes, I agree
Jan 04th 2024
It just astounds me how bad they were at answering those questions.
Jan 04th 2024
up there playing prevent defense
Jan 04th 2024
      you have to reverse engineer your answer if its yes
Jan 05th 2024
           No. You say Yes first.
Jan 05th 2024
                yeah you can't have genocide and context in the same sentence
Jan 05th 2024
Yeah most definitely a trap
Jan 04th 2024
^^^^^this is it
Jan 08th 2024
do you think this is about free speech?
Jan 05th 2024
I think this one is kind of complicated (and will probably get cooked fo...
Jan 04th 2024
she had a lot of support
Jan 04th 2024
      She had their support, until she didn't.
Jan 05th 2024
           the first article was about faculty, not just the board
Jan 05th 2024
diversity programs next on the chopping block
Jan 04th 2024
RE: Dr. Claudine Gay…
Jan 05th 2024
RE: Dr. Claudine Gay…
Jan 05th 2024
Is there proof ir is it still allegations?
Jan 05th 2024
do you think this issue is isolated with Harvard?
Jan 05th 2024
RE: do you think this issue is isolated with Harvard?
Jan 06th 2024
they would love if that happened
Jan 06th 2024
      RE: they would love if that happened
Jan 08th 2024
definitely a hit job on Dr. Gay.
Jan 07th 2024
Yes, so obvious ANYONE can see it
Jan 08th 2024
of course it was.
Jan 08th 2024
its wild af to use a war in the middle east
Jan 08th 2024
Some folks couldn't operate unless they found a way to blame black peopl...
Jan 08th 2024
crazy how open and blatant
Jan 08th 2024
see, now it gets fun though. now it's FAFO.
Jan 08th 2024
'but it's just a mistake'
Jan 08th 2024
True
Jan 08th 2024

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Had a feeling she wouldn’t make it"
In response to Reply # 0

heard rumors of plagiarism. I’m sure they used the finest of combs to get enough dirt to force her out.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 07:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "once they found plagiarism in her doctoral dissertation it was a wrap"
In response to Reply # 1

Stefanik, Rufo and all them were gunning for her over culture wars and give fuck all about academic integrity or whatever they are saying. And Harvard initially seemed like they were going to stand by her. But once they dug up the plagiarism (which is actually pretty blatant), it was just a matter of time before she was out.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
42. "*citation needed*"
In response to Reply # 8

>(which is actually pretty blatant)

Is that the case? Every time I see somebody present this as obvious plagiarism, I think "sure, okay" and every time I see somebody present this as incidental sloppiness in citation I think "sure, okay." Feels like we're a pretty long way from certainty about what plagiarism even is, which strikes me as why the accusation is such an effective tool: it's easy to find if you really want to find it.

Except in the case of my dissertation, which is wholly original and (not coincidentally) regarded as sloppy, meaningless work. Except in the cases where it is not regarded at all.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 02:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Never good when ventiure capitalists try to run academic institutions"
In response to Reply # 0

Her comments at the congressional hearing were over-lawyered and tone-def, but that whole fiasco was one giant bad-faith exhibition by a group of politicians who care about as much about antisemitism as anti-trans activists care about feminism. It's just a cloak they were using to fight against diversity in academia.

So, yeah, it sucks that bad faith actors won out here. I'm hoping she'll land on her feet somewhere else.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 02:18 PM

3. "^ all of this."
In response to Reply # 2

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

J305
Member since Dec 07th 2008
7310 posts
Wed Jan-03-24 09:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Great summation"
In response to Reply # 2

peace

J305

People of color are NOT a minority. Think Global.

Don't Let Hollywood fool you.

http://www.twitter.com/Jtronic
http://www.last.fm/user/Jtronic

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 02:26 PM

4. "Christopher Rufo and the New York Post led the charge for her removal"
In response to Reply # 0

I have no opinion on the claims of plagiarism nor her comments during her congressional hearing, but when you have a known white supremacist like Rufo and a conservative, hateful entity like the Post wanting to get rid of a black woman in power, the ultimate goal has nothing to do with her alleged crimes.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 02:36 PM

5. "all these folk hate higher ed"
In response to Reply # 4

there was no way to win this one without being pro-Israel and against Palestine.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 02:23 PM

29. "As disgusting as Rufo is, it was ackman that really influenced it I thin..."
In response to Reply # 4

Funny thing is his wife looks to have plagiarized at MIT LMAO

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ackman-wife-neri-oxman-mit-dissertation-plagiarism-2024-1

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 03:14 PM

6. "that sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 07:30 PM

7. "yep!"
In response to Reply # 6

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 08:34 PM

9. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1nY1xGAxFA/?igsh=MXFtc2pmNzh6OWdvZg==

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 09:06 PM

10. "Their reputation has taken a hit over all this "
In response to Reply # 0

Not forever, but for the foreseeable future.

Also her response is such typical DEI nonsense. Let’s scrap that bs and start all over with something actually useful

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5186 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 03:08 PM

17. "What ?"
In response to Reply # 10

"Also her response is such typical DEI nonsense. Let’s scrap that bs and start all over with something actually useful"

True colors

---------------------------
Signature

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 09:40 PM

11. "What happened to Julianna Marguilies?"
In response to Reply # 0

For anyone out of the loop she said

“Because I wanna say to them, ‘You f---ing idiots. You don’t exist. Like, you’re even lower than the Jews."

Did she get fired or resign?

In no way am I making an excuse for antisemitism by the way. If Dr. Claudine Gay made antisemitic statements then she deserves to be fired.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Jan-03-24 10:05 AM

12. "so.. where do folks actually stand on this free speech debate"
In response to Reply # 0

Should colleges let both sides cook?

Did they fuck up when they tried to censor earlier discussions that were alt-right?

I always thought college is where you should be able to both sides. the fuck out of free speech.

You don't like it, protest it.

Did these Presidents fuck up?

I didn't pay much attention to the hearings, thought it was weird that a war in the Middle East could cost you a gig on an Ivy League campus.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Jan-03-24 07:22 PM

13. "more speech >> less speech"
In response to Reply # 12

but if you're not consistent, free speech is meaningless

college campuses especially at elite schools have become infamous for shout downs, safe spaces, getting professors fired, having panic attacks over halloween costumes, chasing speakers they don't like into bathrooms, calling everything literal violence...

so when you have university presidents asked the question "does calling for the genocide of jews constitute bullying or harassment" and they can't just answer yes of course it does.. it comes off pretty awful.

and it seems those ladies fell into a trap. I doubt there were many/any students saying "kill all the jews" there are likely things that could be interpreted that way, things that crossed the line, and there have def been Jewish kids harassed since Oct 7. So saying it depends on the context falls into that, but they all gave canned answers like if they accepted the terms of the question.

Replace jews in that question with Black, Asian, trans, Muslim..literally any group and there's zero hemming and hawing on that question about context... or keep jews in, and replace the presidents with someone right of center and that person is a literal nazi. I think they were so scared of falling into a trap that they fell into one

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 03:10 PM

18. "good take and yes, I agree"
In response to Reply # 13

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 03:34 PM

19. "It just astounds me how bad they were at answering those questions. "

Even my mother was appalled.

You get asked ""does calling for the genocide of jews constitute bullying or harassment"

just say yes. You can add any cavaet you want after that but just say the word and don't think it's a defeat to say it.

And of course that goes for "does calling for the genocide of (insert any other group here) constitute bullying or harassment"

But it is also true if you get asked ""does calling for the genocide of jews constitute bullying or harassment"

you shouldn't answer "calling for the genocide of any group constitute bullying or harassment". That's an all lives matter answer.

It's kind of complicated but its not impossible to figure out how to play the game (and it's unfortunate it's a game but it is what it is).

It's kind of similar, but not exactly, but I actually point out to folks who work for me how so often their "no" answers can be "yes" answers. Especially when talking to a superior.

Like if a child asks, "Can I go outside and play". You can answer "no, not until you finish your homework" or "yes, after you finish your homework". Both have the exact same meeting, but one is often greeted differently.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 04:04 PM

21. "up there playing prevent defense "
In response to Reply # 19

definitely a game and they felt the trap was to be cornered into answering yes, but by doing that they made it so much worse

they could have said yes and elaborated (though they were prob worried about being cut off) or they could reject the premise of the question. Gay did that in other parts of her testimony. She looked bad but from what I saw the least bad of the 3. The U-Penn lady was smiling during the genocide exchange.

I don't know if its a case of listening to lawyers or if it was just a case of these elite academics knowing they're so much smarter than some maga congresswoman who thinks she can trip them up

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 12:32 PM

24. "you have to reverse engineer your answer if its yes"
In response to Reply # 21

give all types of examples and then say.. in conclusion, yes.

but if you say yes first, they are going to say THANKS, NO FURTHER QUESTIONS..

and shut the mic off.. lol.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 01:23 PM

25. "No. You say Yes first. "
In response to Reply # 24

How does it hurt you to say, "yes we are against genocide?!?"

What you describe is exactly what they were doing that got them F'd up.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 06:48 PM

33. "yeah you can't have genocide and context in the same sentence"
In response to Reply # 25
Fri Jan-05-24 06:49 PM by Mynoriti

at least in terms of answering that question. once they accepted the premise of the question it's either yes or worse.

if the question was something like.. does misgendering someone constitute bullying or harassment, then "it can be, dependending on the context" is a reasonable answer, but if the question was 'does calling for the killing of all trans people constitute bullying or harassment' you can't say anything other than yes unless you want to appear to be OK with it.

U-penn Pres dug herself deeper saying something like "it is if the speech becomes conduct" I know she didn't literally mean if the speech results in comitting genocide but that was her answer. Gay dropped some circular word salad that amounted to, its harassment if it results in harassment

It's either yes or reject the premise.. or at least try before they cut you off

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 03:54 PM

20. "Yeah most definitely a trap"
Thu Jan-04-24 03:56 PM by luminous

https://youtu.be/0xtP7CVSJGY?si=PwUAiWL0t_GgNr5R&t=1m00s

--
-Ben (Reaper)

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 05:06 PM

47. "^^^^^this is it"

you nailed it right on the head.

Elise Stefanik can fuck off in general, and her line of questioning was loaded and absolutely meant as a gotcha cause she KNEW these ivy league presidents were gonna ivy league their answers to say as little as possible in as many words as possible. but they fucked up.

i have not investigated the Claudine Gay plagiarism story/examples, so I have no idea if she did/didn't or how bad it was, and I think it's horseshit and racist/sexist if she took the fall but other white/male colleagues skate by.

Would she have drawn this plagiarism witch hunt attention if she had just said "that's a loaded question ms stefanik, but ill play along cause yes, obviously it would be bullying/harassment if our student targets jewish peers with calls for genocide"? certainly not. she would have her job. BUT she didnt answer it that way (nor did her co-testifying peers. So when you fuck up, people who have a vested interest in you fucking up start to look for ways in which you've fucked up.

And she fucked up. If the plagiarism accusations are bullshit, then she should fight like hell. If they're legit, well then, the president of Harvard probably *should* be held to a "don't plagiarize" standard.

btw, did i mention fuck Elise Stefanik?

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

sevencents
Charter member
1853 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 02:13 PM

28. "do you think this is about free speech? "
In response to Reply # 12

you mention protesting, but pro-Palestenian groups have been banned on many college campuses. There are a number of US House resolutions that have been passed recently that calls of Palestenian liberation are classified as hate-speech and terrorism....same way Cop City protesters/organizations are facing RICO and terrorism charges.

There are over 20+ states that have laws making it illegal to engage in BDS (Boycott, Divest, Sanction) campaigns against Israel. The Canary project has been used to target and dox activists and organizations that advocate against Israel's illegal occupation.

if you think it's 'weird' that a 'war' in the middle east could cost a gig on an Ivy League campus....perhaps it may be beneficial to start paying MORE attention....many people have lost high-profile jobs for speaking out against Israel... Cornel West lost his tenured position at Harvad a few years ago for speaking out for Palestinians...Marc Lamont Hill lost his CNN job for comments he made at a UN summit....there are countless examples of this.

but then again, the current genocide that's happening is faced with apathy and 'how does this effect you?' type narrative by many...so the consensus seems to be "meh, what can we do about it? (shrug)

This isn't about free speech, but silencing any counter narrative to US & Pentagon interests....it's McCarthyism 2.0 right now.

if society doesn't want to acknowledge the root of the issue, acting surprised about all the weeds that grow from it seems either disingenuous or misguided.

apathy + late stage capitalism/colonialism = nothing good

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 02:58 PM

15. "I think this one is kind of complicated (and will probably get cooked fo..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think the push behind gettting her is all about Racial Animus...but I althink think she was not great at her job.

She is probably a great academic. I don't know. I actually never heard of her or knew Harvard had a black President until she was testifying before Congress. But then, the only Harvard President I knew by name before her was Larry Summers. And I hate to say it, but Larry Summers would have crushed those congressional hearings (because he has in the past).

So the first I see of Dr. Claudine Gay was the hearings and she was terrible at it, from her answers to her demeanor. And no I didn't watch the whole thing and I know there are other clips of her saying the right thing but she gave them awful soundbites and visuals saying the wrong thing. It was not a great first impression.

And we know it was a trap. I get that. But I still think the freaking President of Harvard should be able to negotiate that trap. Lots of super smart people have been able to do it like Hillary Clinton and Ketanji Brown Jackson.

As an aside, I wish there was someone from the left who would have figured out to invite 3 mediocre ass White Male College Presidents to the hearings and subject them to the same questions just to show how much of a trap the hearings were. These poor women presidents were left out to dry.

And this is the thing about me that is old school because I just can't help but believe that the first black President of a school like Harvard has to be twice as good as their white counterparts just for reasons like this. They won't let you get away being as mediocre (or moderately good) as your white peers.

Which brings me to the plagiarism scandal. Now, everyone is an expert on plagiarism. I tried to do a deep dive on the claims and I found stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1737194304597299641

Like holy shit! These are some of the most trite phrases that you would expect to see in an acknowledgment. My initial reaction is that EVERYONE does this. I wrote a thesis for college and I am sure that my thesis will fail this citation test. I fully expect that if you ran all the professors at Harvard works through tech that identifies these sorts of lack of citations, you would find almost everyone guilty of this. It's such clearly concern trolling. Again, when did folks become experts on trolling and care so much about it?

And yet. It's a violation of Harvard's ethic's code. If they are kicking students out for this. It's hard to defend the President of the school for this. I say I do look forward because I fully expect the next 2-3 folks nominated to be the President of Harvard we will find have the same sort of lack of citation problems and then the country will have a "dialogue" around what is plagiarism.

The other thing is I hear she curried no favor with the Black Students on campus. I haven't been able to track that down solidly but I have not seen them come to her defense.

I think the job of a university president is to raise money, inspire confidence in students, staff, professors and alumni and generally be the face of the org. It appears she wasn't great at any of this from what I've read so far (which is super limited, admittedly).

And the complicated truth is that her hire was a part of the moment of racial reconciliation that swept the country after George Floyd's death. That doesn't mean she was an Affirmative Hire. It means that the school at that moment thought that a very important factor in hiring their next president was having someone creditable on DEI issues, which is as legitimate a hiring goal as hiring someone good at fundraising or boasting for the sports department, public speaking or any of the myriad of reasons schools hire presidents.

We saw that window affect the world and business, and I personally saw a lot of friends get jobs in DEI. The unfortunate thing is that it was a window in time and I think white America has moved on. The DEI push could help you get a job for that small window, but I am seeing now you have to have another reason to justify your existence these days or your job is at risk.

I have a lot of thoughts on this, and it's complicated, but at the end of the day, I also don't care that much about what Harvard does and who their president is. It kind of feels as removed and far away as who the President of Oxford is. I just don't think it directly impacts me. I could be convinced I am wrong, but even on a more basic self-interest level, I have kids who will be going off to a college in a few years and I don't think that having Dr. Gay as a president would have improved their chances of getting into Harvard (and I am not saying my kids chance of getting into Harvard is zero, I just don't think she would have helped increase their odds).

Maybe it's not that I don't care but rather none of this surprises me.

IDK. I am waiting for the deep dive article about her and her career and I might change my mind on all of this, but this is how I initially think about it.

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 04:41 PM

22. "she had a lot of support"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Jan-04-24 04:42 PM by luminous

https://www.wgbh.org/news/education-news/2023-12-11/hundreds-of-faculty-express-support-for-harvard-president-claudine-gay
https://hbas.sigs.harvard.edu/article.html?aid=360

she was inaugurated Sept 29th 2023. a little too soon to say she was bad at her job.

Larry Summers crushed congressional hearings because he was in Bill Clinton's administration. He was very unpopular as Harvard President and had to resign.

From wiki: Summers resigned as Harvard's president in the wake of a no-confidence vote by Harvard faculty, which resulted in large part from Summers's conflict with Cornel West, financial conflict of interest questions regarding his relationship with Andrei Shleifer, and a 2005 speech in which he offered three reasons for the under-representation of women in science and engineering, including the possibility that there exists a "different availability of aptitude at the high end", in addition to patterns of discrimination and socialization.

--
-Ben (Reaper)

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 01:27 PM

26. "She had their support, until she didn't. "
In response to Reply # 22

The first article you shared says "Harvard board express support". But it was the Harvard Board that ultimately drove her out.

ALso that Harvard BLSA letter is not really support. Very weak sauce.

And as far as Larry Summers, I wasn't saying he was a good president. I am just saying it is possible to do well in those sort of traps. If she needed to get with the folks that preps presidential appointees, they should have done that.

>https://www.wgbh.org/news/education-news/2023-12-11/hundreds-of-faculty-express-support-for-harvard-president-claudine-gay
>https://hbas.sigs.harvard.edu/article.html?aid=360
>
>she was inaugurated Sept 29th 2023. a little too soon to say
>she was bad at her job.
>
>Larry Summers crushed congressional hearings because he was in
>Bill Clinton's administration. He was very unpopular as
>Harvard President and had to resign.
>
>From wiki: Summers resigned as Harvard's president in the wake
>of a no-confidence vote by Harvard faculty, which resulted in
>large part from Summers's conflict with Cornel West, financial
>conflict of interest questions regarding his relationship with
>Andrei Shleifer, and a 2005 speech in which he offered three
>reasons for the under-representation of women in science and
>engineering, including the possibility that there exists a
>"different availability of aptitude at the high end", in
>addition to patterns of discrimination and socialization.
>

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 01:43 PM

27. "the first article was about faculty, not just the board"
In response to Reply # 26
Fri Jan-05-24 01:54 PM by luminous

second article showed there was a Black organization in Harvard that came to her defense. you said you didn't see any. this with not the letter they wrote to the board prior to her resignation. i can't find a copy of that. this is just the public response to her resignation.

Only thing I can find is an email they sent me:
"HBAS was one of the first (if not the first) alumni organizations to articulate its support for the continued leadership of President Claudine Gay, submitting a letter to The Harvard Corporation and Board of Overseers Sunday evening. While social and traditional media focused on President Gay’s detractors, we were hearing from many of you that she had tremendous support from the Harvard Black alumni community. It was vital that such support was incorporated into the University’s deliberations, and we conveyed that. When you have a moment, please read this nuanced editorial by The Harvard Crimson on why the University must not yield to political pressure."

linked articles:
https://thegrio.com/2023/12/12/when-dr-claudine-gay-was-under-attack-black-harvard-alumni-rallied-to-save-her-job/
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2023/12/12/editorial-gay-harvard-partisan-attacks/

Granted these are not Black students on campus, but Black Alumni

--
-Ben (Reaper)

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Jan-04-24 02:59 PM

16. "diversity programs next on the chopping block"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/harvard-claudine-gay-bill-ackman-diversity-and-inclusion/

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/03/racist-rightwing-attacks-claudine-gay-former-harvard-president

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/03/harvard-antisemitism-billionaires-00133742

--
-Ben (Reaper)

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 01:24 AM

23. "RE: Dr. Claudine Gay…"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.businessinsider.com/neri-oxman-admits-plagiarism-business-insider-article-apology-2024-1

https://www.wkow.com/news/uw-professor-not-concerned-about-claims-of-former-harvard-president-plagiarizing-his-work/article_ef42afca-a9c3-11ee-bd5b-7b272a1aa3a1.html

--
-Ben (Reaper)

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 02:26 PM

30. "RE: Dr. Claudine Gay…"
In response to Reply # 0

https://thegrio.com/2024/01/03/claudine-gay-was-pushed-out-to-send-a-message-about-who-really-has-power-in-america/

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/01/03/christopher-rufo-claudine-gay-harvard-resignation-00133618

--
-Ben (Reaper)

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13797 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 04:48 PM

31. "Is there proof ir is it still allegations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe its time students and faculty and all workers of color leave Harvard.

sevencents
Charter member
1853 posts
Fri Jan-05-24 05:11 PM

32. "do you think this issue is isolated with Harvard?"
In response to Reply # 31

or part of something bigger?

3CardMolly
13797 posts
Sat Jan-06-24 06:33 AM

34. "RE: do you think this issue is isolated with Harvard?"
In response to Reply # 32

Definitely bigger. I saw similar when working at Roosevelt University in 2011-12. They hired a beyond certified Black woman as vice president or provost (a first time thing) and within 6mos fired her for some random bizarre bs. i believe she sued but dont fully recall.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Sat Jan-06-24 10:38 AM

35. "they would love if that happened"
In response to Reply # 31

aint no way I’m leaving because a President was let go, especially if she did it.

its way too easy for folks with nothing to lose to tell other people to leave.

are you willing to leave your gig in solidarity?

3CardMolly
13797 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 12:30 AM

37. "RE: they would love if that happened"
In response to Reply # 35

If its an issue of racism is bound to come your way, might as well leave on your own terms. If the millennials havent taught me anything its never dedicate your life and integrity to a job.

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Sun Jan-07-24 10:41 PM

36. "definitely a hit job on Dr. Gay."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1znsiALEw2/

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 11:21 AM

38. "Yes, so obvious ANYONE can see it"
In response to Reply # 36

Lots of folks are willfully blind.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PROMO
Charter member
30962 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 11:46 AM

39. "of course it was."

when she resigned Elise Stefanik said "2 down 1 to go."

she's saying it was a hit job out loud.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 11:47 AM

40. "its wild af to use a war in the middle east"

to get a Black woman fired from Harvard

racism is wild af.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 12:09 PM

43. "Some folks couldn't operate unless they found a way to blame black peopl..."
In response to Reply # 40

during all of this. It's like they were lost in the Israel versus Hamas debate until they could sink their teeth into a "it's black folks and DEI's fault" domestic angle.

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 03:42 PM

45. "crazy how open and blatant"

they are about it...

--
-Ben (Reaper)

PROMO
Charter member
30962 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 11:48 AM

41. "see, now it gets fun though. now it's FAFO."
In response to Reply # 0

cuz they found Gay's "plagarism" using AI.

so now they put AI on everything and ol' conservative dude's wifey at MIT in under heat cuz she was plagarizing fucking wikipedia a shit ton of times and now he's mad.

see, FAFO.

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 02:56 PM

44. "'but it's just a mistake' "
In response to Reply # 41

she probably won't lose anything behind this and she's plagiarizing fr. even getting shit from wiki lol

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5186 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 04:09 PM

46. "True"
In response to Reply # 41

Tried to get the German corporation that owns Business Insider to retract the story.

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1744434722934063298

---------------------------
Signature

Lobby General Discussion topic #13496343 Previous topic | Next topic