Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13492834

Subject: "Credit limit increase" Previous topic | Next topic
Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Credit limit increase"

my identity was stolen in 2007 and it took until about 2018 before I felt comfortable enough to apply for credit cards again. I started with a secured card from my bank and then Capital One. Target is my favorite store ever so I got a red card, limit: $200. anyway I've worked to get my credit score back in the high 700s and I've added about 6 various store cards and an American Express all with at least $15,000 limit. I kept getting denied for a credit limit increase on my Target card until today!! congratulate me on getting my limit increased to $300!!!

Won't HE do it!!!!

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
congrats, I've recently been watching a lot of youtube videos on credit....
Oct 16th 2023
Can you link the videos?
Oct 16th 2023
      RE: Can you link the videos?
Oct 17th 2023
           thanks. I'll see where these lead me lol
Oct 17th 2023
Congrats!
Oct 16th 2023
in my case it was a family member so it was hard on that level
Oct 16th 2023
      wait what? Someone opened two accounts in your name but was making
Oct 17th 2023
           Someone opened two accounts in your name but was making
Oct 17th 2023
Target prolly has a ridiculous amount of defaulted accounts
Oct 16th 2023
That's me at Walmart
Oct 17th 2023
Congrats!! That’s like 5 Target runs!!
Oct 16th 2023
That's crazy
Oct 17th 2023
I had my identity stolen in like 2010. All kinda shit got opened
Oct 17th 2023
can we make this a credit tips post?
Oct 19th 2023
why isn't paying cards off good for your score?
Oct 19th 2023
it's because that doesn't appear as consistent payments over time.
Oct 19th 2023
Is this true? I feel like I read that it was a myth somewhere.
Oct 19th 2023
      just did my googles and you're right.
Oct 19th 2023
      It’s a misunderstanding of the phrase “pay off”
Oct 19th 2023
      definitely a myth. i'm currently paying off/paying down my balance...
Jan 31st 2024
RE: why isn't paying cards off good for your score?
Jan 27th 2024
Take advantage of 0% APR card promotions during hard times
Oct 19th 2023
transfer balances held me down in my younger days
Oct 19th 2023
I posted a ton of tips a while back...I'll add more here.
Oct 19th 2023
      man I wish I could 'like' a few of these replies
Oct 19th 2023
Snills!
Oct 28th 2023
I just got increased to $1000
Jan 27th 2024
Apple Card just increased my limit another $1000
Jan 31st 2024

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 12:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "congrats, I've recently been watching a lot of youtube videos on credit...."
In response to Reply # 0

and its crazy as far as who gives what credit limits and why

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Can you link the videos? "
In response to Reply # 1

Credit is such a shell game.

I recently had a card close because of inactivity. Normally that means a ding to the score. So I went to about 4 other cards and got increases.

Only one of those even checked my credit, but all of them gave bigger limits.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 09:29 AM

8. "RE: Can you link the videos? "
In response to Reply # 2

>Credit is such a shell game.
>
>I recently had a card close because of inactivity. Normally
>that means a ding to the score. So I went to about 4 other
>cards and got increases.
>
>Only one of those even checked my credit, but all of them gave
>bigger limits.
>
>

here are a few but there are a ton, like you watch one and go down these rabbit holes lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5UHXCrW0gI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFF4AX6Iet8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwwXierHqHc

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "thanks. I'll see where these lead me lol"
In response to Reply # 8

I've been fortunate over the last few years and I'm straight on the credit score.

once I got a better income and learned how to play the game, I started making things right.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 01:17 PM

3. "Congrats! "
In response to Reply # 0

How much of hassle was identify theft? How'd you find out?

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 06:12 PM

5. "in my case it was a family member so it was hard on that level"
In response to Reply # 3

but as far as how I found out, they had missed a payment on a loan and a rep called me about payment. came to find out there were 2 accounts in my name. I didn't prosecute but I should have. I had to start from 400 but now I'm super involved in my credit.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 11:57 AM

9. "wait what? Someone opened two accounts in your name but was making"
In response to Reply # 5

payments?

And how did your score drop to 400?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 05:04 PM

13. "Someone opened two accounts in your name but was making"
In response to Reply # 9

>payments?

like I said, it was family and they thought they was doing me a solid by making payments lol

>And how did your score drop to 400?

I had my information come up in a data breach after that so I closed everything. I got a credit monitor no accounts can be created by me without 3 forms of verification. it's a hassle but I'm too old to be starting over again

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 06:05 PM

4. "Target prolly has a ridiculous amount of defaulted accounts"
In response to Reply # 0

people go in Target for 1 thing and come out with 20.. lol

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 01:14 PM

11. "That's me at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 4

Seems like no matter what I'm planning to buy I end up spending $100 every time.

I forget about Target so every few months they threaten to close my CC account for inactivity. I basically only use Target for furniture and xmas/bday gifts.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Mon Oct-16-23 06:18 PM

6. "Congrats!! That’s like 5 Target runs!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5190 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 07:56 AM

7. "That's crazy"
In response to Reply # 0

Did Target give a reason for the decline?

Congratulations.

---------------------------
Signature

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Oct-17-23 12:02 PM

10. "I had my identity stolen in like 2010. All kinda shit got opened"
In response to Reply # 0

best buy accounts, bloomingdales, they accessed my macys account and was ordering shit that was delivered to a different state lol smh.

I successfully fought it all, just took a few years for my credit report to reflect accurately...good think is that i was in the 700s at the time so while it did knock me down to 600s it didn't really affect anything i i was trying to do (guess timing lined up bc if i was purchasing a house at the time i woulda been screwed)

i got a credit watch (i think its what its called) put on my shit so nothing can get opened without a screening phone call first. Was annyoing as shit when i needed to purchase a new bed and that screening call wouldn't come through lol

my info is still circulating on the interwebs bc every few years i got a letter in the mail from some company explaining that the store account i tried to opened was denied for security reasons lol

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 01:36 PM

14. "can we make this a credit tips post?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-19-23 01:39 PM by tariqhu

I'll start.

*credit is borrowing money. do you have to borrow for that purchase?
*in general, stay away from store cards. they tend to have the highest interest rates.
*set up autopayments so you're not late.
*don't apply for too many cards in a short span
*loan (personal, mortgage, notes) debt is typically better that card debt for your score
*pay attention to your debt to income ratio. the lower debt is always better
*pay attention to your available credit. more available credit helps your score.
*if you're trying to build a score up, make small purchased and pay them consistently over time.
*where possible, pay cards off immediately. this isn't the best for your score if you're trying to increase it, but it's better for you wallet.

add on.

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 02:37 PM

15. "why isn't paying cards off good for your score?"
In response to Reply # 14

>
*where possible, pay cards off immediately. this isn't the best for your score if you're trying to increase it, but it's better for you wallet.

Shit, my tip was gonna be don't use credit cards unless you can pay it off immediately or its an emergency

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 04:21 PM

19. "it's because that doesn't appear as consistent payments over time."
In response to Reply # 15

so you're don't get to build the score. think if you got a car loan and paid it off next month, while you and I will be like shit, I'm outta debt. the folks that keep score don't see that as showing that you handle debt that last a while.

if you're good on the score already or just don't want debt hanging over head, then pay that shit off asap!

the real is answer is it's a stupid game of chance.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 05:58 PM

21. "Is this true? I feel like I read that it was a myth somewhere."
In response to Reply # 19

As I understand it, the age of the credit card is what's important. It's good to leave the credit line open for as long as possible even if you're not carrying over a balance every month.

Hell, when possible to try to pay off my balance a few days early to keep my overall credit utilization as low as possible.

---
Love,
Nopayne

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 07:14 PM

22. "just did my googles and you're right."
In response to Reply # 21

maybe it changed? or was a myth to begin with. I was thinking that for someone just establishing credit, paying over time would help up the score.

good catch.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 07:29 PM

23. "It’s a misunderstanding of the phrase “pay off”"

It is absolutely not bad for your credit score to pay your balance to zero every month. But the phrase “pay off” is sometimes equated with “pay off and close the account”. To your point, closing an account is a negative for the credit score because of your average age of accounts and your credit mix. But paying the balance to zero for not have a negative impact.

The other thing though - if you KEEP your balance at zero and don’t use your card, it’s really tough to get credit line increases on that card and you also run the risk of the bank/lender closing the account on you because you aren’t using it. That could negatively impact your report - again because a closed account can hurt the average age of accounts. But if you’re using it and paying it off each month no risk of that.

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 09:28 AM

27. "definitely a myth. i'm currently paying off/paying down my balance..."

making payments of $750 to $1K per month. my goal is to be "debt free", meaning my CC balances are very low each month and can be paid to zero if i want without blinking, by the end of 2024 (outside of a car note and mortgage if we buy.)

everytime i drop that amount on their head, my score goes up.

just chiming in from someone who is currently doing it.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Jan-27-24 10:07 AM

26. "RE: why isn't paying cards off good for your score?"
In response to Reply # 15

right?!? my daughter just traded in the car I got her because she wanted to buy a brand new car in her name. my credit score just took a big hit.

>*where possible, pay cards off immediately. this isn't the
>best for your score if you're trying to increase it, but it's
>better for you wallet.
>
>
>Shit, my tip was gonna be don't use credit cards unless you
>can pay it off immediately or its an emergency

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 02:45 PM

16. "Take advantage of 0% APR card promotions during hard times"

I had a feeling my job was in jeopardy and the first thing I did was apply for 2 different 0% APR cards to consolidate CC debt.

hurts in the short term but my goal is to keep as much money on hand until my next gig.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 03:24 PM

17. "transfer balances held me down in my younger days"
In response to Reply # 16

can get like 6 months to pay off some debt...or just keep it moving it to another lol

won't help the credit score but it helps ya bottom line.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 03:24 PM

18. "I posted a ton of tips a while back...I'll add more here."

Bottom line on credit scores and how they are used - it is NOT a system that is a reward for us as consumers "doing the right thing". It is a system to determine level of risk for lenders/banks. They calculate that risk based on how well they think you'll handle borrowing money - which means that if you play the system and borrow money in a responsible way that your score will go higher. If you avoid even borrowing money that might be the best thing for you individually, but that doesn't tell lenders that you WOULD be good at handling borrowing money. Historically, people who aren't borrowing money at all and then borrow a lot at once don't manage it well - so that's why not using the system at all will net you a lower credit score since you're seen as higher risk than someone who has a long history of using the system responsibly.

For details on what all impacts your score check this out:
https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/score-basics/what-affects-your-credit-scores/

The summary is payment history (on time vs late payments): 35%, utilization: 30%, length of history (important to keep your oldest account open): 15%, credit mix: 10%, new credit applications (inquiries): 10%.

Here's the post where I had tips on tracking scores, utilization, etc:

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13408962&mesg_id=13408962&listing_type=search

Track your actual FICO credit scores. Almost all free credit score services (Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, most scores that come free with bank and credit card accounts) are not actual FICO scores, and use different scoring like VantageScore. They are fine for following trends as you work on your credit, but if you’re about to make a major purchase like a home, a car, or a refinance, you need to know your actual score.

You can track your actual FICO score for free from Experian. They will also let you track your FICO scores from Transunion and Equifax but you have to pay for that. MyFICO will let you track all three as well, if you pay for it. You don’t need a subscription - if making a major purchase it’s worth it to pay $20 to know what your actual scores are.

Notice I said scores in plural - it isn’t just the 3 bureaus that have separate scores. There are many different versions of each. FICO 8, FICO 9, FICO 2, and all the industry specific versions - separate FICO scores used by mortgage companies, for auto loans, for credit cards, etc. The paid versions of MyFICO and Experian will let you track all these different versions. If making a major purchase you can research which version that company will use. For example most mortgage companies will use the FICO mortgage score 5, and they will typically pull all 3 bureaus and use your middle score of those 3. Auto financing companies and credit card companies will typically pull the industry specific FICO score from one bureau. So for. Example when buying a Toyota and financing from Toyota Financial Services you might research and find out they use the Transunion FICO Auto Score 8.

Again - it is absolutely worth it to pay MyFICO or Experian for your actual scores when making a major purchase. It WILL save you money.

In addition to this the biggest tip I’ll give on boosting your credit score is using credit card utilization to your advantage. Utilization makes up 30% of your FICO score - second only to payment history which is 35%. But with utilization it’s calculated every month - so if you have credit card accounts and pay them off before the statement date to get your utilization down to zero it will boost your score. (Insert disclaimer about only using credit cards if you a responsible enough to pay them and to not carry a balance.) Even if you are currently paying them off every month, if you pay after the statement date, before the due date, the statement balance counts against your utilization. So for example if you have one credit card with a 1000 dollar limit, and the due date is the 1st of the month, the statement date might be a couple weeks before that. If you charge $500 on your card, and pay it on the 25th, before the due date, you are paying after the statement date and you utilization is at 50% which is not good for your credit score. If you paid it off on the 14th before the statement date, your utilization would be zero percent.

----------------------------------

Also from that post, a common question is "why did my score drop when I paid off xyz????"...this was PimpTrickGangstaClik's answer which is absolutely correct:

Credit score is determined by different components...

Each component has different weights: https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score

So when you paid off your student loans, two components in the score were probably negatively affected: length of history and credit type mix.

It's likely that the student loan was one of your longest running accounts. So paying that off could bring the average age of your existing accounts way.
And if the student loan was your only no-credit card type of debt, then your score will be negatively affected after paying it off since you no longer have installment loans on your history.

It's a dumb system, but that's just the way it is. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you have immediate plans to get new credit (car loan, mortgage). You score will eventually go back up if you keep doing the right things.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Thu Oct-19-23 04:59 PM

20. "man I wish I could 'like' a few of these replies"
In response to Reply # 18

thanks for the info and tips

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Sat Oct-28-23 08:00 AM

24. "Snills! "
In response to Reply # 0

The funny thing about the Target Redcard is you’ll stay under $1000 for the longest and then one day out of the blue you’ll get a $10k credit line increase.

And then after that, the credit line increases will again by incremental.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Jan-27-24 10:03 AM

25. "I just got increased to $1000"
In response to Reply # 24

>The funny thing about the Target Redcard is you’ll stay
>under $1000 for the longest and then one day out of the blue
>you’ll get a $10k credit line increase.
>
>And then after that, the credit line increases will again by
>incremental.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 10:02 AM

28. "Apple Card just increased my limit another $1000"
In response to Reply # 0

I did not ask for this but I won’t complain.

Had to lean on some CC’s while I was in between gigs so my utilization crept over 30% but I’m aggressively paying it down now.

Only debt is CC and Mortgage (6.5 years left).

Lobby General Discussion topic #13492834 Previous topic | Next topic