Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13491916

Subject: "Using an external SSD to clone my HD and boot up old imac" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79632 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Using an external SSD to clone my HD and boot up old imac"

for the mac heads on here. I have a 2014 imac 27inch that I rarely used anymore because it was slow as hell. Huge screen, only issue is it was SLOOOOOOOWWWW

I was about to take the screen off and put in an SSD drive but a little research made things so much easier. Bought a 2TB Samsung external SSD for $139 and 2 hours later my mac is booting up in 30 seconds vs 15 minutes. Seriously, I would boot up and take a shower or run to the store given how slow it was due to the old ass spinning beach ball

If you have an older mac, give this a try and add some more years to your imac.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I actually just did this for my Mac Mini (2012).
Sep 26th 2023
Brethren. It is 2023.
Sep 26th 2023
damn, you let them dongle you.
Sep 26th 2023
lol mac users
Sep 26th 2023
damn, yall some hating ass haters.. lol
Sep 27th 2023

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 06:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I actually just did this for my Mac Mini (2012)."
In response to Reply # 0

I was walking through Best Buy playing with the new Macbooks, etc. Logic was opening up in seconds, whereas with my Logic, I could run to the store and back before it finished scanning shit to get to the main screen. I figured the only thing I could do is swap for an SSD since I can't change the processors or any shit like that. I already did the RAM upgrade when I first got it.

Cloning didn't really work for me, I ended up having to go with a clean install, but I was able to copy a lot of info from the OG HDD. Time Machine wouldn't even run on my old HDD, so it took me a few days to reinstall all that I truly need, music app-wise.

Ableton (with all my presets and templates) opens in less than 30 seconds. Now, the App Store is saying I can't even install Logic, but I barely used it, so I'm not at a loss.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 07:14 PM

2. "Brethren. It is 2023. "
In response to Reply # 0

I trust you’re doing this for your children to use, no?

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 08:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "damn, you let them dongle you."
In response to Reply # 0

Couldn't be me.

---
Love,
Nopayne

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 10:05 PM

4. "lol mac users"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79632 posts
Wed Sep-27-23 07:02 AM

5. "damn, yall some hating ass haters.. lol"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13491916 Previous topic | Next topic