Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13491615

Subject: "naming your son after the person who clowned you?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17895 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 08:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"naming your son after the person who clowned you?"
Tue Sep-19-23 08:12 PM by tariqhu

where dey do dat at?

clown is probably too strong. maybe belittled.

https://blavity.com/columbus-short-denzel-son-name/

Columbus Short had an interaction with Denzel Washington that eventually led to the name of his son. The Stomp the Yard alum revealed that meeting the legendary actor remained with him for some time.

According to Atlanta Black Star, the pair crossed paths when Short was being considered to join the cast of 2007’s The Great Debaters, which stars Washington. While appearing on an episode of the Moguls in the Making podcast, Short explained that he auditioned for the role of Henry Lowe. During the process, he had to do multiple scenes with Washington in front of studio executives. Short remembered how shocked he was by how the 68-year-old booted out those not worthy of the opportunity.

Though Short was announced as part of the cast, the role ultimately went to Nate Parker.

Short’s interaction with Washington had a great effect on him. It even influenced his son’s name.

“My son’s name is Denzel,” he explained on the podcast. “Denzel, he kept little n***aing me, like, he kept making me feel like a little n***a.”

Short said he was ruminating on their meeting when his son was born.

“He kept doing that to me, so finally I was like, boom, and I’m just truncating the story, but when my son was about to be born, I was like, my wife was like, ‘What are we naming our son?’ I was like Denzel. ‘Cause why? ‘Cause now he’s my little n***a,” he said.

Short also talked about the inspiration behind his son’s name in the actor’s 2020 autobiography, Short Stories.

“The truth is, he remains to be my favorite actor, period,” he wrote. “He is brilliant in all his choices on screen, and after years of seeking his validation of my existence in the business, I am finally at peace with it all and still would jump at the chance to share the screen with him. My son carries my hero’s name; he’s destined for greatness.”

He also revealed in the book that Washington wasn’t interested in his audition for Fences, but years later, when the 40-year-old was starring on Scandal, Washington finally appreciated Short’s talent.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: naming your son after the person who clowned you?
Sep 20th 2023
lame reason to use Denzel’s name for attention
Sep 20th 2023
Dame Dash would not approve.
Sep 20th 2023
Columbus Short is a weirdo.
Sep 23rd 2023

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13820 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 03:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: naming your son after the person who clowned you?"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbus Short’s name speaks for itself. That has got to be the most moronic reason to name your child, even worse than a boy named Sue.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79626 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 08:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lame reason to use Denzel’s name for attention"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 10:21 AM

3. "Dame Dash would not approve. "
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Sat Sep-23-23 12:26 PM

4. "Columbus Short is a weirdo."
In response to Reply # 0

So I ain't even thinking about his BS.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Lobby General Discussion topic #13491615 Previous topic | Next topic