Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13491592

Subject: "Asexuality: Is it a real thing?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Asexuality: Is it a real thing?"
Tue Sep-19-23 01:11 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I feel like one of the least talked about sexuality is lightweight having a moment, Asexuality.

I saw a recent episode of Big Mouth and they had a black character who was asexual and was trying to explain what it was like and truth is, I didn't fully buy the shows characterization of it, but then, never really seen much of a fulsome discussion around it.

Anyone know any asexuals? I know some folks with low libidos. Some incels, some repressed folks but do you think it's really possible to not have any sexual attraction to anyone? Is it possible to have that state without some sort of trauma associated with sex?

What yall think?

Poll result (15 votes)
Yes! (9 votes)Vote
Not really, something else going on (5 votes)Vote
I am one so Yessir (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Asexuality: Is it a real thing?
Sep 19th 2023
Is their partner asexual too? Did she always have no interest in sex?
Sep 19th 2023
      No, he isn't asexual
Sep 19th 2023
           Whaaaat?
Sep 19th 2023
                RE: Whaaaat?
Sep 19th 2023
                     that sounds odd
Sep 20th 2023
Of course it's a "real thing."
Sep 19th 2023
i don't get it, but
Sep 19th 2023
one of my cousins is asexual.
Sep 19th 2023
I wouldn't date one.
Sep 19th 2023
I wonder if it has something to do with feeling unattractive
Sep 20th 2023
It's real. There's a big gender gap with it (it's mostly women).
Sep 20th 2023

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Asexuality: Is it a real thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my wife's friends is asexual. Happily married for almost 20 years. Sex just doesn't particularly interest her.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Is their partner asexual too? Did she always have no interest in sex?"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Sep-19-23 01:30 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I can understand that a lot of people can lose interest in sex over time, but hard for me to understand/imagine for a young person.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mrhood75
44720 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "No, he isn't asexual"
In response to Reply # 3

I believe that when the "time" comes, they make it work.

From what I understand, she's always been like this. Or at least since college, when my wife met her.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 02:57 PM

6. "Whaaaat?"
In response to Reply # 5

"when the "time" comes, they make it work."

What does that mean!??!!?

Also, how sure are you that they are a happily married couple?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mrhood75
44720 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 03:04 PM

7. "RE: Whaaaat?"
In response to Reply # 6

>"when the "time" comes, they make it work."
>
>What does that mean!??!!?

It means when he wants to have sex, they make it work. I'm not privy to the intimate details beyond that.

>Also, how sure are you that they are a happily married
>couple?

LOL. Very sure. They share many, many interests and loves. They're travelling around the country and the globe. They don't have kids, so they're not staying together "for the children." They've built a happy marriage where sexual intimacy doesn't play a substantial role. Whatever works for them.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79622 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 08:18 AM

11. "that sounds odd"
In response to Reply # 7

“make it work”

seems like if you are asexual you wouldnt ever want to make it work.

Now I’m wondering if there is any intimacy or passion while making it work or if its umm.. just cold and just “work”’

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 01:27 PM

2. "Of course it's a "real thing.""
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 02:14 PM

4. "i don't get it, but"
In response to Reply # 0

but i don't think i really have to get it. if it works for them, and they're not hurting anyone, more power to em i guess.

on one hand i don't get why it's really an identity with their own flag, etc... but i guess it's more a way of finding other people who are like you and getting support that way. and i'm sure it sucks when people judge you like you're defective as a human or you're doing something wrong, and constantly feeling like you have to explain yourself to people. so it likely feels empowering for some to put a label/identity on it.

but i can't say i ever met anyone who self-identifies that way other than joking around from not getting some for a long time.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 03:51 PM

8. "one of my cousins is asexual."
In response to Reply # 0

she's has attraction to people at times, where she'll say such & such is cute. usually it's someone with some level of celebrity, but not in a sexual way to her. she has no interest in having sex. has never had it.

I'm pretty close to and when we talk, there's never any discussion of who she'd like to smang or even she's attracted to in real life. it's just not a thing for her. she's 25.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

shockvalue
Charter member
562 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 09:32 PM

9. "I wouldn't date one."
In response to Reply # 0

--

Woe unto him who in this world courts not dishonor.

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13819 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 03:06 AM

10. "I wonder if it has something to do with feeling unattractive "
In response to Reply # 0

I know that plenty of people who feel or know they’re unattractive do want sex, but I wonder if asexuals just don’t see themselves as attractive and feel that based on that, it’s just much easier to not bother with sex or physical attraction to others. Kinda like cutting out a bad, confusing, consequential situation (the flutters of being attracted to someone, sex, heartbreak etc) before it begins.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 09:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "It's real. There's a big gender gap with it (it's mostly women)."
In response to Reply # 0

Adn from what I've seen most of the women who identify as asexual are relatively attractive too. I think there's some kindof connection behind that but I'm not sure how that works.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13491592 Previous topic | Next topic