Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13491290

Subject: "My friend lost his son in March to a terrible accident. He created an al..." Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 10:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My friend lost his son in March to a terrible accident. He created an al..."
Thu Sep-14-23 10:33 AM by Cold Truth

To deal with his grief.

His son was severely autistic, and at 15 had a tendency to wander off and get lost.

This happened at a church event. He left on his bike and wound up on the freeway. He got hit by a car and killed.

He’s a hobby musician, and all I’d ever heard was his experimental electronic material. To deal with his immense grief, he created a 4 track punk album dealing specifically and directly with the death of his son, Everett. He wrote, played, sang, recorded, and mixed the entire project himself.

It is, IMO, very well crafted. He’s not a traditionally great singer, having something of a Fred Schneider (B 52’s) singing voice. It translates well to his style. These are very hook-driven.

Anyhow, here it is. Please listen and, if you are so inclined, purchase. It is a $3 EP.

Fair warning: the songs are all explicit expressions of his grief, and also deal with the event itself. The tone of the songs are generally upbeat and bright, in a stark contrast to the extremely dark subject matter.

That said, here is Love’s Armada:

https://lovesarmada.bandcamp.com/album/things-are-not-ok

Thank you.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
:(
Sep 14th 2023
Agreed like a motherfucker.
Sep 14th 2023
Heartbreaking tragedy...
Sep 14th 2023
Thank you! The Empty Spot In The Minivan gutted me.
Sep 14th 2023
Damn. I can’t even imagine.
Sep 14th 2023
I have some frame of reference. I list two sisters to SIDS as infants
Sep 14th 2023

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. ":("
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 12:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Agreed like a motherfucker."
In response to Reply # 1

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Heartbreaking tragedy..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-14-23 12:25 PM by CyrenYoung

..Such a heart-warming response. I truly hope this entire process provides healing.

Beyong the grief, your friend is truly talented. Blink 182 meets Radiohead, in the best way.

Respect to the family.

..never give up
never give in
never let go
never slow down
never let up
give it all you got
for that last spot in the minivan

never say never
never be alone
never get lost
never cheap out
its never too late
give it all you got
for that empty spot in the minivan... © Love's Armada

*purchased & gifted forward.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 12:49 PM

4. "Thank you! The Empty Spot In The Minivan gutted me."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Sep-14-23 12:55 PM by Cold Truth

I had the privilege of being asked to review/critique the project during it’s creation and when I got to that song, the title alone fucked me up because I immediately imagined my own kids and I saw that empty spot. Then I thought about how that feels for him, his wife, and their remaining two kids.

When I am dealing with sadness, grief, depression, etc, it takes me out of everything.

To see him able to go through that level of pain and loss and still be able to channel it i to something like this is truly inspirational and I have never had so much respect for anyone as I had for him when he showed me the project.

And thanks for the purchase. That sincerely means a lot.

And agreed on his talent. I was blown away, particularly since these are his first recorded songs ever from what he said. He’s smart as hell to boot. He’s very creative in general, creating his own board games and things like that.

-Sig-

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Damn. I can’t even imagine. "
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Sep-14-23 12:53 PM

6. "I have some frame of reference. I list two sisters to SIDS as infants"
In response to Reply # 3

I was 2 when my baby sister died and I have vague memories of my mom’s reaction, and I was around 21 when the second- my last sibling- died.

It fucked me up but my mother never, ever recovered after the first and the second all but killed her. She kept a shrine with candles and her picture for years after.

But yo… MY kids? I don’t know if that frame of reference is enough to prepare me for even the concept.

I have no idea how people don’t just off themselves when that happens.

-Sig-

Lobby General Discussion topic #13491290 Previous topic | Next topic