Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13491111

Subject: "Does anybody care about today's Apple event?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Does anybody care about today's Apple event?"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no. fuck apple.
Sep 12th 2023
RE:no, and I fuck with apple
Sep 12th 2023
No. Since carriers raised prices for new iPhones ..
Sep 12th 2023
I did - and I'll probably buy a bunch of stuff
Sep 12th 2023
The new phones are pretty good
Oct 03rd 2023
I watched it. Due for a phone upgrade for both me and
Sep 12th 2023
I'm a Pixel guy. Waiting for their event on Oct 4. n/m
Sep 12th 2023
same for me.
Sep 13th 2023
Stay out my lane, bro. n/m
Sep 12th 2023
lol my bad I didn't think you were still around
Sep 12th 2023
lol
Sep 13th 2023
I generally don't know when these happen anymore
Sep 12th 2023
Is it weird that I look forward to the website layout
Sep 13th 2023
I totally get that. From a business standpoint I'm always watching
Sep 13th 2023
      I think the prices remaining 'flat' for all but MAX is unexpected
Sep 13th 2023
Thought i'd be hyped, but i'll hang on to this 13pro for a while longer....
Sep 13th 2023
I used to watch when my work was related to that business.
Sep 13th 2023

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "no. fuck apple."
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE:no, and I fuck with apple"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "No. Since carriers raised prices for new iPhones .. "
In response to Reply # 0

... and pretended that countering that by "canceling two year contracts" was somehow a reasonable tradeoff, I've stopped paying attention to these rollouts altogether. I'll keep each phone til it's literally unusable now. Whereas previously I'd at least consider getting an upgrade every 1.5-2 years for $200 and a new contract.

To be fair I don't think I've ever watched one of these events live, whether before or after that change, so I guess I've never particularly cared. But at the very least I'd read the highlights later or something.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 01:55 PM

4. "I did - and I'll probably buy a bunch of stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

My Apple Watch 7 is having altimeter issues, if I can get a good trade-in I might upgrade to the 9.

My mother's 2020 iPhone SE needs to be upgraded and I've waited for this update, I'll buy her an iPhone 15 6.1"

Later today I'll look at the new pro, but I might go up to the PLUS size if the weight difference is minimal.

As for cables and chargers, I'll be buying those on the third party market. I have some USB-C cables already, just need to buy like , um, 6 more - 3 for moms, 3 for backups.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Tue Oct-03-23 09:56 AM

17. "The new phones are pretty good"
In response to Reply # 4

>My Apple Watch 7 is having altimeter issues, if I can get a
>good trade-in I might upgrade to the 9.

Kept the Apple Watch Series 7 but having it serviced/replaced under warranty.

>My mother's 2020 iPhone SE needs to be upgraded and I've
>waited for this update, I'll buy her an iPhone 15 6.1"

She loves the iPhone 15. As an upgrade it's a slam dunk winner. Better camera, faster, more storage, better looking screen. Downside: Button is gone, she's adjusting.

>Later today I'll look at the new pro, but I might go up to the
>PLUS size if the weight difference is minimal.

I got the iPhone 15 Pro, and yes, all the USB-C stuff works as expected. I plugged in hubs, DisplayPort connectors, Thunderbolt connectors, all work as expected.

>As for cables and chargers, I'll be buying those on the third
>party market. I have some USB-C cables already, just need to
>buy like , um, 6 more - 3 for moms, 3 for backups.

I ended up getting some cheap-o DYNEX usb-a/usb-c cables form BestBuy on clearance for $3.49 for 2: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-3-usb-type-c-to-usb-type-a-charge-and-sync-cable-2-pack-black/6403427.p?skuId=6403427

I had some usb-c to usc-b ones already, a few were charge only but 2 are 10gbp/s cables and one is 40gbp/s. The ones in the phone boxes are fine for charging.

Bought a few chargers too, a 100 watt Anker 2 port USB for $32 on sale at Amazon, a 35 watt usb-c/usb-a charger from Lisen on Amazon for $11.00 on sale.

Devices that are still lightning:
Apple Wireless keyboard
AppleTV remote
iPhone SE 2020 (for credit card terminal testing)
An old iPad mini (1st gen) that I may sell for like $5 bucks

Also: iPhone using USB-C to AUB-A works well in my Honda - there are reports that some people are having troubles in their cars.

If you have a several year old phone I think it's a pretty good upgrade.

------------

soulfunk
Charter member
11003 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 02:09 PM

5. "I watched it. Due for a phone upgrade for both me and"
In response to Reply # 0

my wife. At this point we keep our phones for around 3 years depending on features released and the condition of our old phones. It takes 2-3 years for the incremental updates to be worthwhile.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 03:01 PM

6. "I'm a Pixel guy. Waiting for their event on Oct 4. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

tariqhu
Charter member
17896 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 05:36 PM

14. "same for me. "
In response to Reply # 6

even though my pixel 7 is only a year old. never been a phone each year person, but might do it this time.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 03:04 PM

7. "Stay out my lane, bro. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

---
Love,
Nopayne

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 03:50 PM

8. "lol my bad I didn't think you were still around "
In response to Reply # 7

dillinjah
Charter member
9030 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 05:43 PM

16. "lol"
In response to Reply # 7

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Tue Sep-12-23 03:54 PM

9. "I generally don't know when these happen anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember I would know the dates before but I usually don't hear about these or Samsung's until after they happen.

I am interested to see what changes but I never was one to sit through them.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 08:19 AM

10. "Is it weird that I look forward to the website layout"
In response to Reply # 0

for the new products more than the actual products?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulfunk
Charter member
11003 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 08:40 AM

11. "I totally get that. From a business standpoint I'm always watching"
In response to Reply # 10

for how Apple will position and differentiate their products during launch events. In my role I'm often launching products/services that are essentially "good, better, best" but you never want to position them in that type of way...the goal is that your customers see a specific "level" as right for them and now that one is "less than" the other. Sometimes Apple is really good at that, and sometimes not so much.

I also watch for how they price products. They were a bit sneaky on the 15 Pro Max this year...all new phones are at the same price point as last year, with the exception of the Pro Max which used to start at 1099. The 15 Pro Max starts at 1199, but they presented it as "the same price as last year's 256GB Pro Max"...

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 08:45 AM

12. "I think the prices remaining 'flat' for all but MAX is unexpected"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Sep-13-23 09:03 AM by handle

I mean they make a SHIT TON of profit on each phone, but Apple not raising prices to meet inflation was pretty unexpected to me. That's going to lower their margins - and they live by those margins.

It'll put pressure on Google and Samsung to keep prices flat too.

------------

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 09:26 AM

13. "Thought i'd be hyped, but i'll hang on to this 13pro for a while longer...."
In response to Reply # 0

If they ended up with a whole new design I might have been pressed...but USB C isn't really a big deal for me anymore since I mainly use wireless charging and the battery easily gets me through a full day anyway.

tariqhu
Charter member
17896 posts
Wed Sep-13-23 05:40 PM

15. "I used to watch when my work was related to that business."
In response to Reply # 0

the fervor has pretty much died from what it used to. still enough folks get excited about it.

one of my friends sell her year old phone to get the new one. every year lol. she sells the her current for a good price and uses that to help pay for the new one.

she's also rich so there's that.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Lobby General Discussion topic #13491111 Previous topic | Next topic