Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13490868

Subject: "PragerU in schools now?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Wed Sep-06-23 08:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"PragerU in schools now?"

of course FL is the jump off point to get this going at a state level. Prager has been supplying schools for a few years now with their 'Educator' program. yeah, this is how indoctrination looks.

TX schools might be next on the list.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2023/08/23/prageru-said-its-bringing-conservative-lessons-to-texas-schools-not-quite-officials-say/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PragerU

By 2015, PragerU developed two partnership programs to promote its views, including religious material, in public and private schools. PragerU's Educator Program, with 3,000 sign-ups reported as of 2015, supplies teachers with lesson plans and study guides that accompany videos. Secondary school teachers and college professors can register their classes through PragerU's Academic Partnership program, which lets students sign up and allows teachers to monitor their students' progress.

In 2023, Florida became the first state to accept PragerU as an official education vendor. They were approved by the Florida Department of Education, who said that PragerU "aligned with the state's revised civics and government standards." The decision allows public school teachers in Florida to incorporate PragerU videos into their classroom materials. This decision was met with criticism.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yep this is the indoctrination they want in schools
Sep 06th 2023
This is outrageous
Sep 06th 2023
I can't tell you how dangerous this shit is
Sep 09th 2023
^^^^
Sep 09th 2023
I cannot believe this is happening to this extent in 2023
Sep 10th 2023
the United Daughters of the Confederacy had a heavy in hand in the text
Sep 10th 2023
Can someone find the potential curriculum
Sep 10th 2023
Here’s a brief history of slavery
Sep 10th 2023
Word, thanks for this
Sep 10th 2023
Imagine if PragerU were a German outfit.
Sep 10th 2023
thanks, this video is terrible
Sep 10th 2023
TRANSCRIPT of the Candace Owen video
Sep 10th 2023
"Millions of people, all white by the way ..."
Sep 11th 2023
I don't know that they have a full curriculum yet.
Sep 10th 2023
i think people on okp go to "nazi"
Sep 10th 2023
      this was an easy one though.
Sep 11th 2023
           Not sure what you mean
Sep 11th 2023
Booooooooth siiiiiiiiides
Sep 10th 2023
      ^mind-reading^
Sep 10th 2023
      lmao
Sep 10th 2023
           bizarre
Sep 10th 2023
                Maybe it's not Okp
Sep 11th 2023
Too political....
Sep 11th 2023
Consider, also, the material this will likely replace
Sep 11th 2023

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5190 posts
Wed Sep-06-23 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yep this is the indoctrination they want in schools"
In response to Reply # 0

Oklahoma joining FL

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4188167-oklahoma-follows-florida-in-allowing-prageru-in-schools/

---------------------------
Signature

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Wed Sep-06-23 10:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is outrageous"
In response to Reply # 0

Of course Florida.
As usual, what they're accusing "the left" of doing, is actually what they're doing.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Sat Sep-09-23 06:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I can't tell you how dangerous this shit is "
In response to Reply # 0

I know they applied to push their shit in NH but that's thankfully been met with pushback and the Board of Ed there delayed the vote from early August until this coming week.

But yeah, people need to look alive and get involved in making sure this shit isn't allowed in schools whether they have kids or not.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Sat Sep-09-23 11:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 3

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18642 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 09:46 AM

5. "I cannot believe this is happening to this extent in 2023 "
In response to Reply # 0

There’s leaving parts out like textbook companies have always done, as far as I can tell.

And then there’s this, which is just flagrantly and blatantly lying and misrepresenting what happened. 100% whitewashing propaganda and it blows my mind that states have the power to do this and are getting away with it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 11:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "the United Daughters of the Confederacy had a heavy in hand in the text"
In response to Reply # 5

book washing after they lost civil war. they're largely to blame for the statues too. This Prager dude is stepping it up to continue the tradition of white is right.

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 06:14 PM

7. "Can someone find the potential curriculum "
In response to Reply # 0

Reading lists, lectures, etc that may be taught to public school students so that we can look at this in detail and discuss what is objectionable in it?

Too busy to do this myself now but this discussion on Okp would be much more interesting if we got down to the object level of what students may be "taught" and what we all think of that.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44861 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 09:15 PM

8. "Here’s a brief history of slavery"
In response to Reply # 7

Brought to you by Candace Owens.

https://youtu.be/NO_wmixXBdE?si=GHAPTmeU7kWFKoqj

IMO it’s a great microcosm for the insidious nature of the material they produce.

It’s basically an apologetic saying white people aren’t evil for the Atlantic slave trade.

It takes things that are true, but repeatedly presents them through a lense that systematically downplays the role of white Europeans in the slave trade- thus downplaying the direct impact on Black slaves and their descendants in the US.

Hey, slavery was common!
Hey, other races had slaves!
Hey, Black Africans sold slaves!
Hey, white people were the ones who ended slavery!
Hey, but actually there are hundreds of thousands of slaves in Africa right now and it’s Black African people doing it!

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

fif
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 09:51 PM

9. "Word, thanks for this"
In response to Reply # 8

Will watch soon

shockvalue
Charter member
562 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 10:52 PM

15. "Imagine if PragerU were a German outfit."
In response to Reply # 8
Sun Sep-10-23 10:55 PM by shockvalue

They’d be making this kind of apologist material about the Holocaust.

“Leftists always scapegoat Deuschtlands Greatest Generation as stereotypically efficient butchers. We can’t help but notice how THIS particular “racist dog whistle” is just fine btw. So much for the tolerant left.
But it also isn’t even accurate! During a contentious 20th century characterized by a strong prevailing zeitgeist of genocide that in no way began with the Nazis, German-attributed death tolls were middling at best, reaching no higher than the bronze medal.”

--

Woe unto him who in this world courts not dishonor.

fif
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 11:00 PM

16. "thanks, this video is terrible"
In response to Reply # 8

this should not be taught in public schools. thanks for the example. do we know that this video in particular would be legal to teach? this fight over public school curriculum is crazy. interested to learn more. gotta save the children.

fif
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 11:02 PM

17. "TRANSCRIPT of the Candace Owen video"
In response to Reply # 8

And now for a brief history of slavery.

Here's the first thing you need to know.

Slavery was not invented by white people.

It did not start in 1619 when the first slaves came to Jamestown. It existed before then. It did not start in 1492 when Columbus discovered the New World. In fact, when the intrepid explorer landed in the Bahamas, the native Taino tribe hoped that he would help them defeat their aggressive neighbors, the Caribs. The Caribs enslaved the Taino and on occasion served them for dinner. Slavery existed in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. The word slave actually comes from the Slavs of Eastern Europe. Millions of them, all white by the way, were captured and enslaved by Muslims in the ninth century and later by the Ottoman Turks. Slavery existed when the Roman Empire controlled the Mediterranean and most of Europe from the first through the fifth centuries. Slavery existed when Alexander the Great conquered Persia in the fourth century BC. It was so common that Aristotle simply considered it natural. The slave master model was just how the world operated in the great philosopher's day. Slavery existed during the time of the ancient Egyptians 5,000 years ago, as far back as we can go in human history, we find slavery. As renowned historian John Steele Gordon notes from time immemorial, slaves were a major item of commerce as much as a third of the population of the ancient world was enslaved. Here's the second thing you need to know. White people were the first to formally put an end to slavery. In 1833, Britain was the first country in the history of the world to pass a Slavery Abolition Act. They were quickly followed by France, who in 1848 abolished slavery in her many colonies. Then of course came the 13th Amendment in the United States Constitution. After centuries of human slavery, white men led the world in putting an end to the abhorrent practice. That includes the 300,000 Union soldiers, overwhelmingly white, who died during the Civil War. Now, am I saying that this makes white people better than anyone else? Of course not. My purpose here is to simply tell the truth, and the truth is that human history is complicated. No one, regardless of skin color, stands guiltless. Yet today we are never told to consider the murderous Persian Empire or the cannibalism of indigenous tribes of North and South America or the heinous actions under the imperialistic Muslim, Chinese, Mongol, or Japanese empires, to name just a few. Instead, we're told that slavery is a white phenomenon. And like all persistent lies, this lie spawns a bunch of other lies. On social media, I come across extraordinary depictions about how Africans lived like pharaohs before Europeans came and laid waste to their paradise. I wish any of this were true, but it's not. It's a fantasy. The truth is that Africans were sold into slavery by other black Africans, and in many cases, sold for items as trivial as gin and mirrors. Whites didn't go into the interior and round up the natives. They waited on the coast for their black partners to bring them black bodies. The stark reality is that our lives had very little value to our ancestors. Here's the third thing you need to know. If you think slavery is a relic of the past, you're wrong. There are some 700,000 slaves in Africa today, right now. That's the lowest estimate that I could find. Other sources say there are many more. For context, that's almost twice as many slaves as were ever brought to the United States. Child soldiers, human trafficking, forced labor, these are the conditions that currently exist within the same sub-Saharan region where the transatlantic slave trade originated. African bodies are being sold today like they were sold then, and no, they are not being purchased by any country of white men. In fact, slavery, by any traditional definition, is exclusively practiced today within non-white countries. But we hear almost nothing about that. Just like we hear nothing about how slavery was universal until good people in Europe and America ended it two centuries ago. Why? Because our so-called leaders, black and white, wouldn't profit from it. Black victimhood is nothing if not profitable. It elects politicians and funds racial grievance groups. And if black Americans began to view themselves as partners in the American dream, if we embraced the patriotic spirit that holds all men are created equal, the patriotic spirit that is our real heritage, then the race hustlers would soon be out of business. And who wants that? I'm Candace Owens, author of Blackout, for Prager University.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 12:24 PM

23. ""Millions of people, all white by the way ...""
In response to Reply # 8

Ugh she's fucking insufferable.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 09:59 PM

10. "I don't know that they have a full curriculum yet."
In response to Reply # 7

https://www.prageru.com/kids/prep

"We launched PragerU Resources for Educators and Parents (PREP) to equip families and teachers with the tools they need to deliver pro-American education to our children and protect them from inappropriate ideas and radical indoctrination in today’s classrooms and children’s entertainment."

pro-american, protect chidren, radical. sounds like the same shit trump's ilk have been spewing.

https://www.prageru.com/prep-book-lists

here's the list from high schoolers. it include a bunch of books by ben shapiro and several of them talk about the let.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/U2P153GHJKC?&sort=default

fif
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 11:13 PM

18. "i think people on okp go to "nazi""
In response to Reply # 10

too quickly much of the time. but looking through those links, indoctrination of children through the Hitler Youth definitely springs to mind.

curious to understand what repetitive takeaways the curriculum tries to drill into kids at various ages. kids used to learn to recite the preamble to the declaration of independence....what are the key phrases, messages etc Prager U is trying to imprint deeply on young minds?

worth reading more about, appreciate the links

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 06:10 AM

19. "this was an easy one though."
In response to Reply # 18

RE: i think people on okp go to "nazi"

it doesn't need a both sides or objectivity.

fif
2000 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 09:48 AM

21. "Not sure what you mean"
In response to Reply # 19

For me to understand, I wanted to see some of the content that might be on the curriculum. I'd heard of Prager U vaguely but didn't know exactly what they peddled.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18642 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 10:07 PM

11. "Booooooooth siiiiiiiiides"
In response to Reply # 7

“Just here for a deep discussion bro. Do all the work for me, so I can just reply with generic and lazy arguments in low key support of nazi’s and racists rights to say whatever they want, while hiding my hands and pretending to be making some real intellectual points.”

fif
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 10:16 PM

12. "^mind-reading^"
In response to Reply # 11

u dont know me and u don't know my style

bush league contribution, sir

Lurkmode
5190 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 10:29 PM

13. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 11

“Just here for a deep discussion bro. Do all the work for me, so I can just reply with generic and lazy arguments in low key support of nazi’s and racists rights to say whatever they want, while hiding my hands and pretending to be making some real intellectual points.”

^^^^^^Yep

Signature

fif
2000 posts
Sun Sep-10-23 10:35 PM

14. "bizarre"
In response to Reply # 13

how quickly okp's turn to accusations of sympathy with nazis, racists.

very narrow-minded

Lurkmode
5190 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 06:23 AM

20. "Maybe it's not Okp"
In response to Reply # 14

Could it be the connection to Hitler that Candace Owens and the right wing has to Hitler, giving okp a reason to take a closer look at Prager U ?

Just asking questions and discussing this while I wait for you to do the work.

Signature

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 10:29 AM

22. "Too political...."
In response to Reply # 0

Wasn't someone in another post bitching about how OKP is too political now and becoming "boomerish". This is exactly the kind of shit we should be OPENLY talking about. Forums like this one are important because they are not transient and instant and you can half actual LONG FORM conversations.

Fascist bullshit is happening right in our fuckin faces and we want to talk about what's "poppin".

We need to keep dialogue like this going.

This right here is why I keep coming back to OKP.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 07:02 PM

24. "Consider, also, the material this will likely replace"
In response to Reply # 0

They've got shitty, fact-evasive material supported by their miserable ideology in all kinds of flavors, but since their weird "slavery: not actually that bad and fuck you for asking" material is reasonably getting the most traction then take that for example. Having students engage with actual first-person narratives of enslaved people is so much more fluid and comes with so many more options than when I was a kid. The Federal Writers Project interviews obviously existed when I was in high school, but it wasn't really accessible and I don't think so even heard of its record of slavery narratives until college when I took a class on the Depression. More thoroughly than ever before, we have the ability to have American students hear, in largely unmediated ways, what their lives were like. How the day to day shit that consumed their waking hours were profoundly dissimilar but still recognizable ways.

Here's a good article from Clint Smith about encountering this material as an adult:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/03/federal-writers-project/617790/

I don't want to swipe it because it's really long. In any case, PragerU doesn't want to supplement that, as their content makes clear. They want to replace it, eliminate it, and for people to forget it.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Lobby General Discussion topic #13490868 Previous topic | Next topic