Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13487726

Subject: "lady at work has said I speak well on multiple occasions." Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"lady at work has said I speak well on multiple occasions."

If I see her, it's on sight! kidding.

I'm going to address since she's said it more than once. another lady on my team has also said it.

I'm trying not to assume. they're also minorities, but of course that doesn't mean it's not rooted in racism. one asian. the other latin.

maybe if they'd said eloquent, it would hit different. I told a peer that she was eloquent. she took it as a compliment, which is how I meant it.

do you ever comment on someone's use of the language? I rarely do because it's get be tricky telling folks they express themselves well.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
tell them they look handsome
Jun 29th 2023
petty lol
Jun 29th 2023
lady, you got a nice, strong jaw line!
Jun 29th 2023
I will say something specific about their speech that i admire
Jun 29th 2023
That's good
Jun 29th 2023
this is good.
Jun 29th 2023

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79711 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 02:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "tell them they look handsome "
In response to Reply # 0

the next time they say that shit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13365 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "petty lol"
In response to Reply # 1

Smh

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "lady, you got a nice, strong jaw line!"
In response to Reply # 1

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59184 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 03:41 PM

4. "I will say something specific about their speech that i admire"
In response to Reply # 0

ie

you are a really good public speaker
i like how you speak with confidence and command a room
I really like your direct style of communication

When someone says i speak well i ask them to clarify. If they start stuttering and shit, well you already know...they just surprised you can string words together and match tense smh. If they name something specific, I'll take it as a complement.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 05:04 PM

5. "That's good"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Jun-29-23 05:06 PM by Walleye

It's entirely reasonable that "articulate" has been ruined, but I get tongue-tied and too-fast-brain-for-mouth pretty often and really admire people who can communicate clearly, persuasively, elegantly. It's an important attribute worthy of praise. Nice job finding a good way to do it.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 05:48 PM

6. "this is good."
In response to Reply # 4

it's the approach I took with the lady I said was eloquent. told her about the way she conveyed the message with confidence and could tell she really knew her stuff.

asking for clarification is a good idea. I think my knee-jerk negative thought wasn't the way she or the other teammate meant for it to come across.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13487726 Previous topic | Next topic