Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13484963

Subject: "okp cannabis users: ever mess with creating your own tinctures?" Previous topic | Next topic
bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Mon May-22-23 05:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"okp cannabis users: ever mess with creating your own tinctures?"

looking to move away from smoking and vaporizing. i'm in denver so tinctures are available but they are limited, generic ("indica" or "sativa"), and have no real strain info, at least on the recreational side. same for edibles and i hate edibles because they are so imprecise. i finally found a great spot with low yield + high quality flower and strains that work for me

i am aware that info on this stuff is out there on the internet but am looking for anyone's personal experience with creating tinctures on their own. thanks in advance!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yes. Make sure you decarb your weed first
May 23rd 2023
You can also decarb and make oil/butter in a instapot
May 23rd 2023
      is this the "pressure cook on high for 40 mins" method?
Jul 31st 2023
I don't know about precise
May 23rd 2023
did an instant pot decarb and MCT oil infusion last night.
Jul 31st 2023
Curious to hear how this goes for you
Aug 02nd 2023
instant pot decarb + infusion into MCT oil works well
Aug 10th 2023

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue May-23-23 08:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yes. Make sure you decarb your weed first"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-23-23 08:18 AM by flipnile

https://www.leafly.com/learn/consume/edibles/what-is-decarboxylation

Really important step for edibles and tinctures.

Edit: I use a toaster oven set to ~200f. Grind up the bud, wrap it in foil (like an envelope) and put in the oven for 20-30 mins.

My favorite "quick" way to make an edible is decarb some bud (usually .25-.5g for me), then spread it one some peanut butter between graham crackers. Wrap this in foil and heat it until the peanut butter melts a bit (THC, CDB et al attach to the oil in the peanut butter). Eat it when it's cool enough for you.

When you measure the amount of bud you put into your edible on a scale, you can get pretty accurate w/ what dosage you like over time.

speedlaws07
Member since Aug 15th 2006
3233 posts
Tue May-23-23 10:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "You can also decarb and make oil/butter in a instapot"
In response to Reply # 1

under the influence 2k9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuWXCrp-p5M

bearfield
8049 posts
Mon Jul-31-23 07:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "is this the "pressure cook on high for 40 mins" method?"
In response to Reply # 2

google has that technique in a lot of results but i'm wondering if it's because it gets aggregated or if it's the actual best method. idk how to correctly gauge the temp of my IP when it's on high

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
1998 posts
Tue May-23-23 11:14 PM

3. "I don't know about precise"
In response to Reply # 0

But you might want to try making canna coconut oil. Less of a mess than butter, keep it in the freezer so it stays solid. Getting the weed into fat > alcohol extracts. Preserves more of the active properties this way, I think. A rec store gummy vs your own dialed in coconut oil? No competition

bearfield
8049 posts
Mon Jul-31-23 07:42 PM

5. "did an instant pot decarb and MCT oil infusion last night."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-31-23 07:43 PM by bearfield

decarbed 1/8th bud under high pressure for 40 mins. infused with 1/4 cup MCT oil for 4 hours. used the sous vide function for infusing which purportedly kept the temperature at 185 F but who knows how stable the temp was. did a little quarter eyedrop (neglected to order droppers with mL measurements 😒) and feel a little something so maybe it worked. if it's this easy to get this stuff translated into an oil so i can give up smoking/vaping... 😍

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
1998 posts
Wed Aug-02-23 12:21 AM

6. "Curious to hear how this goes for you"
In response to Reply # 5

One idea if dosing tiny drops with precision is difficult, is next batch you could increase the oil to weed ratio so an easier to measure amount is needed for you to feel the akshun. Also if u have a sensitive enough scale you can try putting the drops in a small cup of water resting on the scale and dosing by weight

bearfield
8049 posts
Thu Aug-10-23 07:01 PM

7. "instant pot decarb + infusion into MCT oil works well"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-10-23 07:06 PM by bearfield

bud was platinum bubba kush, a low (~12%) THC indica. got properly ripped last night after ingesting about 1.25 eyedroppers (possibly 1.25 mL), to the point where i was briefly worried i would have a bad too-many-edibles type of experience. ended up having a low ceiling on the high and it lasted for about 5 hours. felt like an entry level edible: intense and enveloping but not overwhelming. great stuff and bodes well for my non-inhaling future

still experimenting with higher THC bud and alcohol infusion but my baby mouth can't handle everclear just hanging out under my tongue for a full minute. too unpleasant and i'm unsure of the sublingual absorption efficacy

Lobby General Discussion topic #13484963 Previous topic | Next topic