Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13483346

Subject: "Let me tell y’all about how dope Arugin Boi is. " Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 01:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Let me tell y’all about how dope Arugin Boi is. "
Mon Apr-24-23 02:08 AM by Cold Truth

This is a tale of beats, bonds, and brotherhood, all made possible by Okayplayer.

One I think is well worth sharing.

We all know I’m verbose, but I’ll do my best Reader’s Digest here.

We interacted here and there, but I hit him up in 2016 after learning he produced. It started off as just chatting about gear via inbox, but then we exchanged numbers and got to talking about beats, gear, producers, basketball, life.

Over the years, those conversations became increasingly personal. The constant between us was our music, and at one point we came up with an idea for a group: Empire Saints.

He’s from St Louis, I’m from the Inland Empire region of So Cal. He held up his end, taking a few tracks of mine and elevated the everloving shit out of them. I didn’t hold up my end, because, frankly, I was going through some shit. Shocker, I know.

My head wasn’t in it, and I figured ES was dead in all but name. .

I shared a LOT with AB during this time. He got a lot of the sordid details of whatever was going on, and got an intimate insight into my mental state, so he knows how hard that period was better than most of my inner circle here at home.

About a year ago, I got much more serious about the music again. Last fall, I got serious about my mental health, and even more serious about the music.

And you know what AB did?

This man went and made a whole ass instrumental album dedicated to the growth he saw in me. He was inspired by those changes. Not only did he make the album, he included our ES joints, and made it a concept album that chronicled that growth:

Empire Saints: The Reign Of Greyson

I’m usually the one who makes grand gestures like this for people. So this gesture, from this man, completely blew me away. I was touched when he sent me one of the tracks and told me he was working on something for me. But when I got the finished product and heard the opening track? Damn near in tears. Because the time, energy, effort, and love he put into this was so apparent and abundant.

Who does that?

My brother, that’s who. And that’s who he is: my brother.

But this isn’t just about bigging up the man.
This is about bigging up the artist that is Arugin Boi, AKA Mr Whittaker.

And after some internal debate, I decided to share this beautiful work of art with OKP, with his blessing, of course.

I suppose it can be argued that this is, at it’s core, a “check out some beatz” post. But I think it’s more than that, I truly hope you give it a listen, because I do think it’s a quality collection of music.

Start with track one, “Nightfall”, which is not only a collaboration between the two of us, but it tells the basic story of how we came together as Empire Saints. But I do hope you listen to the rest

My personal favorites are “Night Traffic”, “Low Eyez”, “Clear Eyes, Grey Skiez”, "drip walking", among others. The other collaborations between us are “Reign”, “Night Terrors” and “Light Venom”.

Not much of a reader’s digest I guess, lol.
But to all who read and listened, thank you.
And please give AB his props!

You can listen here: https://soundcloud.com/empiresaints23

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Well, you KNOW I'm listening...
Apr 24th 2023
No doubt! I left so much out too.
Apr 24th 2023
This is dope as fuck
Apr 24th 2023
Lemme tell you about this dude basically paying my mortgage
Apr 24th 2023
      Solid nigga for real
Apr 24th 2023
He would make sure to tell you, hes from East St Louis
Apr 24th 2023
^
Apr 24th 2023
He would if he weren’t busy telling me I fucked up his name😂
Apr 24th 2023
lol
Apr 24th 2023
BIG facts, lol...
Apr 24th 2023
Good shit. AB is that dude.
Apr 24th 2023
Thanks.
Apr 25th 2023
Good Shit man. He's a stand up due
Apr 24th 2023
The man is a saint. Pun halfway intended, lol
Apr 25th 2023
This is dope...
Apr 24th 2023
Yo! Thanks for the anchor!
Apr 24th 2023
Love this. Magic still happens here!
Apr 24th 2023
It certainly does
Apr 25th 2023
The feed has changed. Here’s the playlist, in order
Apr 24th 2023
This is dope
Apr 24th 2023
As are the Knicks this year
Apr 25th 2023
Appreciate the good vibes from everyone
Apr 24th 2023
🤜🏼🤛🏽
Apr 25th 2023
Dope ass post for a raggedy ass Monday. Thanks to you both!
Apr 24th 2023
Appreciate the sentiment!
Apr 25th 2023
Love the post! Will definitely listen to the music soon
Apr 24th 2023
I hope you do! AB put his foot in this project.
Apr 25th 2023
I hope you do! AB put his foot in this project.
Apr 25th 2023
Wow. Hearing about this brightened my day.
Apr 24th 2023
I’m glad to hear. Straight up, that’s why I wanted to post it
Apr 25th 2023
Dope story...def gonna give it a spin.
Apr 24th 2023
Please do!
Apr 25th 2023
good shit
Apr 25th 2023
Thanks, I appreciate it
Apr 25th 2023
the music is SICK. literally not one throwaway track
Apr 25th 2023
Grey Skies, Clear Eyez was the first teaser track he sent me
Apr 25th 2023
Appreciate you sis
Apr 26th 2023
So uh… we used to text each other about cereal
Apr 25th 2023
Great post
Apr 26th 2023
This is beautiful
May 10th 2023
Salute "The Commissioner" !!!!!! IYKYK
May 10th 2023

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 07:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Well, you KNOW I'm listening..."
In response to Reply # 0

and yes, AB is super dope. I always enjoyed him in OK Sports...but I quickly came to recognize by his posts in other, more serious threads that he was just a solid mofo. Salute to yall and salute to brotherhood. You don't have to be blood related to be a brother to someone and this is just another real-life example of that.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 09:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "No doubt! I left so much out too. "
In response to Reply # 1

I’ll say this:

He did the album as a contrast of light and darkness

Trcks 1-7 are “darkness”, 8 is the connection between the two, and 9-15 is the “light”, mimicking the journey he’s watched.

Here’s the kicker: this man *was* the light in a lot of ways. Some days I felt bad for unloading so much.

But he’s rock solid and always has been a positive, uplifting presence. Bo matter how down or pessimistic I was, he stayed level. He just believed I’d get there.

So that light he talks about on the album, whether he realizes it or not, he was a big part of me coming out of that ling ass stretch.

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is dope as fuck"
In response to Reply # 0

Salute to both of y'all, man

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 09:13 AM

4. "Lemme tell you about this dude basically paying my mortgage"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Apr-24-23 09:25 AM by Cold Truth

Our finances fell off a cliff. Wife had postpartum, quit her job, right after we started a dumbass Lularoe venture, which fell off a cliff.

I was making a third less than I make now.

Anyhow, I had a keyboard, a Korg Kronos- which, incidentally, was the catalyst for us talking to begin with- and was selling it because we weren’t going to make our mortgage one month. I kept dropping the price but had no buyers.

AB was going to cop one too, but down the road sometime

Well, he copped my keyboard at a good rate, much sooner than he intended, and we both came up. He got a dope ass board for cheap and my mortgage got paid.

The beat “Reign” on the album came from a beat I had saved to the keyboard. I started it, but AB finished that bitch. It’s got a special place in my heart for this reason.

I miss that board but I’m glad it’s in his capable hands.

I love that beat, and it does not exist in it’s current form unless he buys my keyboard and pays my mortgage.

-Sig-

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 12:10 PM

13. "Solid nigga for real"
In response to Reply # 4

Fwiw, I've noticed that you prefaced the OP with being verbose, but I think that's needed sometimes and that they were words well spent(read?). Either way, salute to you for using your words to build him up. I don't know him personally, but we all have shit going on, so I imagine this will make him light up whenever he reads it. Shit, it made me light up second hand and I don't know either of you like that

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "He would make sure to tell you, hes from East St Louis"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-24-23 10:08 AM by ShawndmeSlanted

and overall a stand up brother, though kind of a dick as a fantasy commissioner. lol

On the real though, AB and a group of about 10 of us from OKP have been in a fantasy bball league together for the last 20 years....

Its wild. We've gone From single, to kids, to divorce, and everything in between. Radin was one of our original members (RIP).

We now have a group chat on whatsapp and its one of the community spaces Im most active in, talking sports/talking shit.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:23 AM

9. "^"
In response to Reply # 5

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:30 AM

10. "He would if he weren’t busy telling me I fucked up his name😂"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Apr-24-23 10:37 AM by Cold Truth

In my defense, I haven’t referred to him by his screen name in years

But yeah that’s dope about that fantasy group.

The radin loss was big over on OKS. I felt that too. I can inly imagine what that was like for you guys though.

I appreciate the share on that.

-Sig-

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 01:38 PM

15. "lol"
In response to Reply # 5

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 01:39 PM

17. "BIG facts, lol..."
In response to Reply # 5

he and I have had some fun with that one...me being on the Missouri side of the bridge.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43739 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:08 AM

6. "Good shit. AB is that dude. "
In response to Reply # 0

Just another one of those “I’m glad I’ve been here so long” posts. This place might be a fraction of what it once was, volume wise - but great shit is still happening here.

That’s awesome.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 10:59 PM

27. "Thanks. "
In response to Reply # 6

I take full credit for the post itself, lol

He wasn’t so sure

But I knew the story was sort of thing people would appreciate

I’m glad to see that thought was correct

-Sig-

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:15 AM

7. "Good Shit man. He's a stand up due"
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:05 PM

31. "The man is a saint. Pun halfway intended, lol"
In response to Reply # 7

He’s a relentlessly positive person. I’m honored to be his friend.

-Sig-

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:21 AM

8. "This is dope..."
In response to Reply # 0

..from the origin story, to challenges, to fruition. Everything about this is dope.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:30 AM

11. "Yo! Thanks for the anchor!"
In response to Reply # 8

-Sig-

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 11:13 AM

12. "Love this. Magic still happens here!"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:01 PM

28. "It certainly does"
In response to Reply # 12

I think we can lose sight of all the good that has come from and through OKP

I had a feeling this would resonate on some level

-Sig-

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 12:31 PM

14. "The feed has changed. Here’s the playlist, in order"
In response to Reply # 0

https://m.soundcloud.com/empiresaints23/sets/empiresaints-the-reign-of

AB set it up so you can listen in order. The way I did it had it backward and put of order. so he fixed it.

-Sig-

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 01:38 PM

16. "This is dope"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:03 PM

30. "As are the Knicks this year"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue Apr-25-23 11:03 PM by Cold Truth

Brunson should eat free for the next decade

And thanks!

-Sig-

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 05:13 PM

18. "Appreciate the good vibes from everyone"
In response to Reply # 0

CT...thanks brother, you already know.

To everyone else, hope you all enjoy the project as much as I/we enjoyed making it. Personally, I feel like it's full of bangers but I'm biased.

I appreciate all listens and feedback, both positive and constructive.

OKP bred creativity is still alive and well in 2023. Let it not be said otherwise.

EMPIRESAINTS up in this piece!

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 10:56 PM

26. "🤜🏼🤛🏽"
In response to Reply # 18

-Sig-

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 06:53 PM

19. "Dope ass post for a raggedy ass Monday. Thanks to you both!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:02 PM

29. "Appreciate the sentiment! "
In response to Reply # 19

Thank you.

-Sig-

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18634 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 07:00 PM

20. "Love the post! Will definitely listen to the music soon "
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for sharing.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:06 PM

"I hope you do! AB put his foot in this project. "

Appreciate the response.

-Sig-

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:06 PM

32. "I hope you do! AB put his foot in this project. "
In response to Reply # 20

Appreciate the response.

-Sig-

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8748 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 07:47 PM

21. "Wow. Hearing about this brightened my day."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad you're both doing better.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:07 PM

33. "I’m glad to hear. Straight up, that’s why I wanted to post it"
In response to Reply # 21

The whole thing is good vibes and I knew it would resonate with some folks

I’m glad it served that purpose

-Sig-

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10142 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 11:43 PM

22. "Dope story...def gonna give it a spin."
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:07 PM

34. "Please do! "
In response to Reply # 22

-Sig-

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 01:36 PM

23. "good shit"
In response to Reply # 0

ill definitely give it a listen

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:08 PM

35. "Thanks, I appreciate it "
In response to Reply # 23

-Sig-

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 10:21 PM

24. "the music is SICK. literally not one throwaway track"
In response to Reply # 0

very impressive

tracks 9&10 are my faves...then there's that jazzy vibe on Track 14

so original, layered, complex and interesting...i really love this

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 10:55 PM

25. "Grey Skies, Clear Eyez was the first teaser track he sent me"
In response to Reply # 24

Had me bobbing my head from jump

The B-Boy in me was dying for a dance floor

Drip Walking is so dope

He went all in on Chi/So Cal theme

I think he nailed the light/dark transition from 7-8-9, because 9 still had a melancholy/cloudy tone to it

Then Drip Walkin comes in and parts the clouds, and is all sunshine

Thank you for the review

-Sig-

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:30 AM

37. "Appreciate you sis"
In response to Reply # 24

Good looking out on he listen.

Fun fact: On #14 (Night Traffic), my 11 year old son walked in the studio when I was making the track and started tapping the piano part on my Motif. It fit so I just kept it. He was all giddy to be a co-producer. lol

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 11:10 PM

36. "So uh… we used to text each other about cereal"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-25-23 11:13 PM by Cold Truth

Strawberry Milkshake Frosted Flakes?
Oatmeal Creampie cereal?
Birthday Cake Cap ‘N Crunch?

We’d shoot a text. We’re in the golden age of cereal, lemme tell you.

Anyhow

He said his wife called me a cereal monster

So I sent their kids like four boxes
I addressed it to Claire Huxtable

That’s it. That’s the cereal story.

-Sig-

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 09:29 AM

38. "Great post "
In response to Reply # 0

One of my biggest regrets on here is not being more active in reaching out to people.

So proud of all the people who used this forum to connect

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Wed May-10-23 12:25 PM

39. "This is beautiful"
In response to Reply # 0

Will definitely check out the tracks. Makes them more powerful to know the backstory.

I fucks with AB hard for his accurate and insightful Bulls/Jordan commentary. We've PMed a few times about wild shit cats have said.

Wonderful that the best of the internet's ability to connect people is embodied in your relationship and story. SALUTE!

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Wed May-10-23 09:49 PM

40. "Salute "The Commissioner" !!!!!! IYKYK"
In response to Reply # 0

Dope shit!!!

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Lobby General Discussion topic #13483346 Previous topic | Next topic