Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13482503

Subject: "No charges in Shanquella Robinson case" Previous topic | Next topic
Braison305
Member since Feb 23rd 2013
10 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"No charges in Shanquella Robinson case"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shanquella-robinson-death-investigation-mexico-prosecutors-will-not-bring-charges/

"Prosecutors in the United States will not bring charges in what was previously a federal investigation into the death of Shanquella Robinson, a woman from Charlotte, North Carolina, while in Mexico last October.

Officials with U.S. Attorneys' Offices in two districts in North Carolina announced the decision in a statement on Wednesday, issued shortly before the woman's family members were scheduled to speak about the probe and Robinson's killing at a televised news conference.

"The investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Ms. Robinson has been a priority for federal prosecutors and the FBI," read the statement issued by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the western district of North Carolina.

"As in every case under consideration for federal prosecution, the government must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that a federal crime was committed," it continued. "Based on the results of the autopsy and after a careful deliberation and review of the investigative materials by both U.S. Attorneys' Offices, federal prosecutors informed Ms. Robinson's family today that the available evidence does not support a federal prosecution."

The killing of Shanquella Robinson was being investigated as a femicide, an unfamiliar term for many in the United States as this gender-motivated crime has not been defined by U.S. legislation despite being a global issue.

Citing "a detailed and thorough investigation" and an autopsy conducted by the medical examiner's office in North Carolina's Mecklenburg County, officials said they found that "the available evidence does not support a federal prosecution."

Speaking on behalf of Robinson's family at Little Rock AME Zion Church in Charlotte on Wednesday afternoon, attorney Sue Ann Robinson said they were "disappointed but not deterred" by the outcome of the U.S. investigation and would continue to seek justice in the wake of the killing.

The attorney also shared that the decision by U.S. authorities not to press charges partly relied on results of the domestic autopsy, following an initial autopsy conducted in Mexico. The U.S. post mortem exam was conducted after Robinson's body had been embalmed and transported back to America, "which means that there was a delay, obviously," the attorney said, adding that it ruled Robinson's cause of death "undetermined."

Federal prosecutors and authorities at the Federal Bureau of Investigation opened a probe into the circumstances surrounding Robinson's death in November, about three weeks after it happened, the FBI confirmed in a statement to CBS News at the time. According to that statement, Robinson died "on or about" Oct. 29 in Cabo San Lucas. The previous week, authorities in Mexico had said that her death occurred in San Jose del Cabo, located about 20 miles northeast of Cabo San Lucas in the same Mexican state of Baja California Sur.

Mexican prosecutors opened an investigation into Robinson's death a few days earlier. By then, news of her killing had garnered considerable public and global attention owing to a viral cell phone video that showed Robinson being violently assaulted, apparently at the luxury villa where she was staying while on vacation. She had traveled from the U.S. to Mexico with a group of six friends, some of whom initially told Robinson's parents that she had died from alcohol poisoning. However, the death certificate later listed a spinal and neck injury as the cause.

The attorney for Robinson's family said on Wednesday that the U.S. autopsy did not identify a spinal cord injury, although she called it "disheartening" that U.S. authorities "allowed there to be such a delay in this case" and noted that delays can lead to "discrepancies." She told reporters that civil action is "certainly" a possibility for Robinson's family moving forward.

Authorities in Mexico said in November that they were investigating Robinson's death as a femicide, a crime that refers to the killing of a woman because of her gender. In a statement released at the time, prosecutors in Baja California Sur said they were seeking to extradite a woman from the U.S. back to Mexico in connection with the alleged murder."

I'm far from a legal expert but, I can't help but wonder if they really lack enough evidence to secure a conviction or are they planning to allow Mexico to extradite?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
smh.. this is terrible
Apr 12th 2023
Tbh, it looks like a drunken accident.
Apr 12th 2023
How did you reach that conclusion?
Apr 12th 2023
Drunk accident? What video did you watch?
Apr 13th 2023
obviously you didn't see any of the videos/pics lol
Apr 13th 2023
he said drunken foolishness like they were playing chicken in the pool
Apr 13th 2023
huh?
Apr 13th 2023
this doesn't make any sense.
Apr 13th 2023
      maybe he was drunk when he made the post?
Apr 13th 2023
           not sure how he made it out of this post alive.
Apr 13th 2023
                Maybe I watch too many fight videos.
Apr 14th 2023
                     was this ever part of it?
Apr 14th 2023
                     Yo those untrained barehanded girl punches did not look like they would
Apr 15th 2023
                          The video proves that her daughter was attacked!
Apr 15th 2023
                     That is all hogwash.
Apr 14th 2023
                          Everything you said could be consistent with a drunken petty fight
Apr 14th 2023
                               That’s manslaughter!
Apr 14th 2023
                               Manslaughter isn't murder. It's manslaughter.
Apr 15th 2023
                                    You know what I meant
Apr 15th 2023
                               fam, that's still manslaughter.
Apr 14th 2023
                               Geez.. wtf.
Apr 14th 2023
                               let's go with your first scenario, should there be no charges?
Apr 15th 2023
                                    Maybe there should be charges. I don't know.
Apr 15th 2023
                                         you said it looked like an accident
Apr 15th 2023
                                              Yeah man. You can accidently kill someone in a fight.
Apr 15th 2023
                                                   you're phrasing suggests that there's shouldn't be charges.
Apr 15th 2023
                                                   I didn't suggest anything other than what I said. You read more into
Apr 15th 2023
                                                        that's how it reads to me.
Apr 16th 2023
                                                             What if it turned out the fight didn't kill her?
Apr 16th 2023
                                                                  I don't know all the facts of the case and neither do you.
Apr 16th 2023
                                                                       THANK YOU! That's my point. We don't know the facts!
Apr 17th 2023
                                                                            so you had no point lol
Apr 17th 2023
                                                   who is saying there was a plot to murder her?
Apr 15th 2023
                                                   Every reference to this case describes it as "murder"
Apr 16th 2023
                                                   And if she was beaten to death, that could be Murder 2
Apr 15th 2023
                                                        Please stop. You don't know what you are talking about.
Apr 15th 2023
                                                             Naw. You just way off ..like people have already told you.
Apr 16th 2023
                                                                  Ok. If it's evident. What is the evidence that supports "Murder 2"?
Apr 16th 2023
RE: No charges in Shanquella Robinson case
Apr 13th 2023
Where's the protect black women crowd when you need them?
Apr 14th 2023
no Black men to blame soooo....*crickets*
Apr 17th 2023
ROFL
Apr 17th 2023
Apparently, BW are too strong and independent for that.
Apr 17th 2023
Apparently the US has no jurisdiction in Mexico and can't do anything
Apr 15th 2023
trivia. this lawyer looked familiar to me.
Apr 15th 2023

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79563 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "smh.. this is terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 04:02 PM

2. "Tbh, it looks like a drunken accident."
In response to Reply # 0

I can think of so many times where myself or someone else could have died doing some drunken foolishness.

I don't think they took her down their to kill her. I think some drunken stuff went wrong and then they handled in poorly.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 10:51 PM

3. "How did you reach that conclusion?"
In response to Reply # 2

They got video of one of her 'friends' whooping her ass.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

legsdiamond
79563 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 06:11 AM

4. "Drunk accident? What video did you watch? "
In response to Reply # 2

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 08:57 AM

5. "obviously you didn't see any of the videos/pics lol"
In response to Reply # 2

legsdiamond
79563 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 09:08 AM

6. "he said drunken foolishness like they were playing chicken in the pool"
In response to Reply # 5

OKP’s are getting weirder by the day

to hear rjcc tell it we shouldn’t even care because we don’t know her

PROMO
Charter member
30954 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 09:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 2

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "this doesn't make any sense."
In response to Reply # 2

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
79563 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 11:10 AM

9. "maybe he was drunk when he made the post? "
In response to Reply # 8

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 11:54 AM

10. "not sure how he made it out of this post alive."
In response to Reply # 9

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 04:40 PM

12. "Maybe I watch too many fight videos. "
In response to Reply # 10

But there are literally 1000s of fight videos on the internet that look like this and don't suggest anyone is trying to murder someone.

I've seen and been a part of many drunken fights. Mostly I've been in them with people I consider my friends.

All that to say the video alone doesn't move me as evidence of a conspiracy to bring that poor girl down to Mexico to murder her.

I think there is enough fish-iness around her death that it warrants and investigation and I am glad the FBI did investigate.

But if the FBI investigated and concluded that she died from an accident separate and apart from any fight she was engaged in, I would not have much difficultly believing it. I don't think the FBI would have any problem charging her friends if they felt the did something. They aren't out here trying to protect these other folks.

It's way easier to believe that she died from drunk people doing dumb drunk shit and her "friends" panicked and handled the aftermath poorly than to believe that there was this conspiracy to lead her down there and kill her. I think this is probably a story about overdrinking and it's still a tragedy without the conspiracy.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

PROMO
Charter member
30954 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 04:58 PM

13. "was this ever part of it?"
In response to Reply # 12

>All that to say the video alone doesn't move me as evidence of
>a conspiracy to bring that poor girl down to Mexico to murder
>her.

was that alleged? or were they just there and some shit popped off.

if she was getting beat as bad as it looked in that video, that could have definitely caused her death. not necessarily an immediate death, but one nonetheless.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 12:34 PM

22. "Yo those untrained barehanded girl punches did not look like they would"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat Apr-15-23 12:40 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

cause anyone's death. We don't know what happened off-camera but come on.

The internet is running amok with stories of the other people luring her down to Mexico to kill her and that's what I am pushing back on.

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 06:20 PM

32. "The video proves that her daughter was attacked!"
In response to Reply # 22

am that people were down there fighting her daughter as the anonymous caller
suggested. Plus the autopsy by Mexico states that her daughter suffered a broken
neck and forehead contusions, and confirms no alcohol poisoning.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

allStah
9816 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 05:50 PM

14. "That is all hogwash."
In response to Reply # 12

It wasn’t some petty fight or drunk accident. She was murdered and Mexico’s
autopsy proves that, and that is the autopsy that her family stands by, and want the
US to acknowledge it and honor it.

Plus her friends lied when they called her mother to tell her what occurred. They said
she had experienced alcohol poisoning, which made zero sense from the beginning.
So clearly they were covering up what actually happened to her. Plus her mother got
an anonymous call from one of the people who were down there that her daughter was assaulted.

And the US is a piece shit for not accepting Mexico’s autopsy, and are
claiming that their autopsy, which was the second autopsy, found no
evidence of murder. But the body had already been embalmed by then,
so of course they weren’t going to find anything…So it was a stupid autopsy.

Mexico has all the evidence and pictures to prove that her neck and spinal cord were
Injured. With that, the US can implement extraterritorial jurisdiction in regards to a citizen
committing a crime out of the US.

“Extraterritorial jurisdiction is the legal authority of the United States to prosecute criminal conduct that took place outside its borders.”

At the least this is massive case of manslaughter

Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 06:09 PM

15. "Everything you said could be consistent with a drunken petty fight"
In response to Reply # 14

that accidently ended with her death.

It's the difference between I punching someone and they falling and hitting their head on a corner and dying versus attacking someone with the goal of breaking their neck and killing them.

I think its more likely the first scenario.

allStah
9816 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 06:30 PM

16. "That’s manslaughter!"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri Apr-14-23 06:33 PM by allStah

Either way it goes, it is a crime of murder.

Plus you tack on a charge for trying to cover up the incident…That’s
obstruction of justice/ conspiring to cover up a murder.

That warrants at least 5-10 years of prison time

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 01:35 PM

25. "Manslaughter isn't murder. It's manslaughter. "
In response to Reply # 16
Sat Apr-15-23 01:35 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

So it's not "either way it goes, it is a crime of murder."

allStah
9816 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 05:52 PM

30. "You know what I meant"
In response to Reply # 25
Sat Apr-15-23 06:09 PM by allStah

It’s still a killing or killing someone, even it was unintentional.

Someone was killed…bottom line

It’s a crime of killing.

PROMO
Charter member
30954 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 07:31 PM

17. "fam, that's still manslaughter."

legsdiamond
79563 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 08:33 PM

18. "Geez.. wtf. "

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 06:28 AM

20. "let's go with your first scenario, should there be no charges?"

what you're proposing doesn't excuse the death and consequences should follow.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 12:30 PM

21. "Maybe there should be charges. I don't know. "
In response to Reply # 20
Sat Apr-15-23 12:32 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I never said their shouldn't be consequences. The only thing I've consistently said I don't think the people she was with set out to murder her.

Maybe there is a case for manslaughter, I don't know the details enough to say that is the case. But Manslaugher is not murder. My point has been the video alone is not enough to convince me that there is a case for manslaughter or murder.

Again, I am glad that the FBI investigated but the fact that they aren't moving forward with a case isn't evidence that the FBI is covering up a muder.

I hope the FBI eventually issues a report of what they found and if it turns out that there was no other evidence of foul play DESPITE the video, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

I don't know why folks have such a hard time understanding my point.

legsdiamond
79563 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 12:47 PM

23. "you said it looked like an accident"
In response to Reply # 21

we have know idea how serious she was beat up.

I doubt they brought her down their to kill her but once the fighting started it ended with her dying from injuries.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 01:31 PM

24. "Yeah man. You can accidently kill someone in a fight. "
In response to Reply # 23

It might be manslaughter. It might not. Depends on exactly what happened. but even if it is manslaughter, manslaughter isn't murder. All this to say I don't think there was this plot to murder her despite what the folks on the internet are saying.

Why are you all having a hard time following? And if you follow what I am saying what exactly do you disagree with?

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 04:13 PM

27. "you're phrasing suggests that there's shouldn't be charges."
In response to Reply # 24

that's why I asked. it seems as if you were excusing that she was killed because it 'may' have been accidental.

I also don't believe there was a conspiracy. sometimes shit happens in the moment. manslaughter/murder is really semantics when it appears that someone killed someone else. I get there are differences between the two in a legal sense and sentencing is different. all that to say, to not pursue charges is a lot different than manslaughter.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 10:11 PM

34. "I didn't suggest anything other than what I said. You read more into "
In response to Reply # 27

what I said than I typed. Read again what I said. I never excused anything.

And the difference between murder and manslaughter isn't semantics. It makes a huge difference in culpability and what type of jail time someone should face.

And again, I am not even sure there is enough that surfaced that suggests manslaughter occurred.

We don't know what ultimately caused this young girl's death. Which is my ultimate point. Because we don't know what caused her death, we also don't know if anyone should be charged.

I think watching the video and deciding that this young girl was murdered requires speculation and jumping to conclusions.

Or let me flip it and ask you, how did this young woman die, who is responsible for it and what should the others involved be charged with?

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 07:56 AM

37. "that's how it reads to me."
In response to Reply # 34

I said there's a difference in the legal sense.

none of us know what really happened and drawing our own conclusions.

I believe they killed her by beating her to death, but don't think it was planned before the trip. yeah, alcohol played a part, but I don't believe that's what killed her.

whomever was involved in the fight should be charged.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 12:05 PM

39. "What if it turned out the fight didn't kill her?"
In response to Reply # 37
Sun Apr-16-23 12:07 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

"whomever was involved in the fight should be charged. "

You are saying you don't know what really happen but believed they killed her by beating her to death.

So you believe they should be charged not based on what you know, but what you believe?

You don't see the problem with that?

Do you know how many black people are sitting in jail now based on what some white folks didn't know but just believed?

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 02:44 PM

40. "I don't know all the facts of the case and neither do you."
In response to Reply # 39

we're both speculating. you stating your thoughts is not different than what I did. fortunately, neither of us is actually involved.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 07:55 AM

42. "THANK YOU! That's my point. We don't know the facts!"
In response to Reply # 40

And if you are admitting you don't know the facts, you should also admit you don't know whether someone should be charged or not.

>we're both speculating. you stating your thoughts is not
>different than what I did. fortunately, neither of us is
>actually involved.

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 06:06 PM

45. "so you had no point lol"
In response to Reply # 42

got it.

we're just on different ends of the speculation spectrum.

PROMO
Charter member
30954 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 04:55 PM

29. "who is saying there was a plot to murder her?"

"the internet"?

cuz, i never heard that. it's always been presented as far as i know that she went there with these "friends", some drama popped off and she was beaten to an extent that it caused her death.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 06:48 AM

36. "Every reference to this case describes it as "murder""
In response to Reply # 29

Murder is a premeditated intentional act.

Everyone is assuming at the very least some drama popped off and someone beat her with the intention of killing her.

My point is, and the FBI conclusion supports, maybe not even that happened.

allStah
9816 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 06:08 PM

31. "And if she was beaten to death, that could be Murder 2"

where even though it wasn’t premeditated, the assailant(s) sought to do HARM that led
to the death of the woman.

So you got Murder 2 (2nd degree) and Manslaughter on the table as possible charges….
based on the testimony of the mother, when she stated she received a phone call from
a person stating that they were INTENTIONALLY fighting her daughter, looking to do
harm.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 10:00 PM

33. "Please stop. You don't know what you are talking about. "
In response to Reply # 31

You are typing legal gibberish.

allStah
9816 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 04:35 AM

35. "Naw. You just way off ..like people have already told you. "
In response to Reply # 33
Sun Apr-16-23 04:36 AM by allStah

It’s quite evident.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 08:03 AM

38. "Ok. If it's evident. What is the evidence that supports "Murder 2"?"
In response to Reply # 35

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Apr-13-23 05:19 PM

11. "RE: No charges in Shanquella Robinson case"
In response to Reply # 0

If the US isn't going to do anything, they need to at least send 'em back to Mexico. Sounds like that's the best chance for her family to receive any kind of justice.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28843 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 09:26 PM

19. "Where's the protect black women crowd when you need them?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-14-23 09:42 PM by Kira

If there was ever a time to leverage their power it's right now. Me too, time's up, blm, black girl magic, and the rest of those groups need to get on it.

Shanquella Robinson needs justice produced on her behalf and now is the time for that to happen. For fuxk's sake miss us with that thoughts and prayers symbolic bullshit from politicians. Leverage your political power to produce justice now.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 07:41 AM

41. "no Black men to blame soooo....*crickets*"
In response to Reply # 19

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 03:45 PM

43. "ROFL"
In response to Reply # 41

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 03:47 PM

44. "Apparently, BW are too strong and independent for that. "
In response to Reply # 19

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 02:34 PM

26. "Apparently the US has no jurisdiction in Mexico and can't do anything"
In response to Reply # 0

unless they can prove it was premeditated on US soil.

This according to Judge Joe Brown.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sat Apr-15-23 04:22 PM

28. "trivia. this lawyer looked familiar to me."
In response to Reply # 0

then I realized she's on a show called Ready To Love.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/federal-prosecutors-pursue-charges-shanquella-robinson-death-98537450

never thought I'd see people doing their real jobs outside of these shows, especially something like this that's far outside of the entertainment world.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13482503 Previous topic | Next topic