Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13477859

Subject: "On: Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto Japan" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Thu Feb-02-23 12:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"On: Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto Japan"

up next. My flight from Newark to Tokyo leaves on May 12. Me and the younger one, Marius, are going on his dream trip. He's been wanting to go since I went back in 2007 (OG okps will remember when I won that trip to Japan back in the day)

anyway, What u got for me? any recs?

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
just got back. ask me anything :)
May 23rd 2023
What's up w/ not eating U.S. meat?
May 24th 2023
      their general approach to food prep is cleaner than here
May 24th 2023
they still got the negro section in the record stores?
May 24th 2023
oh wow...i actually didn't go in one
May 24th 2023
RE: On: Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto Japan
May 24th 2023
May 24th 2023
May 25th 2023
how easy was it for you to communicate?
May 25th 2023
^^^^
May 31st 2023
my personal assistant, Google Translate, did they job well
May 31st 2023
      thks! really appreciated!
Jun 04th 2023
How comfortable did you feel?
May 31st 2023
very comfortable
Jun 10th 2023
Bumping this as I am actually taking a similar trip next week
Sep 19th 2023
I have no advice to add as I haven't been yet but....
Sep 20th 2023
RE: Bumping this as I am actually taking a similar trip next week
Sep 20th 2023
      all of this, plus a few other things
Sep 20th 2023
      Is this Golden Gai?
Sep 21st 2023
           yes, that's it..thanks!
Sep 25th 2023
      Thanks for all the info / newb question
Sep 23rd 2023
           RE: Thanks for all the info / newb question
Sep 25th 2023
           I recommend getting a CashApp card
Sep 25th 2023
This is dope. My Son and I are planning to go next year.
Sep 23rd 2023

Damali
35865 posts
Tue May-23-23 10:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "just got back. ask me anything :)"
In response to Reply # 0

spoiler alert: i'm not eating meat again in the US for quite a while.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed May-24-23 11:24 AM

4. "What's up w/ not eating U.S. meat?"
In response to Reply # 1

Is the japanese man's beef that much sweeter?

lol

I kid, I kid, but frfr, spill.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Damali
35865 posts
Wed May-24-23 08:10 PM

5. "their general approach to food prep is cleaner than here"
In response to Reply # 4

they also don't allow hormones in meat

d

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Wed May-24-23 09:11 AM

2. "they still got the negro section in the record stores?"
In response to Reply # 0

did you hit mount fuji?

talk about the bullet trains. why can't we have nice things?

anything you didn't expect to see? tokyo night life?

all you hear on the news is the declining birth rate, did you see an aging population throughout?

haven't been to tokyo since 99 but i remember it fondly. hoping to go back soon.

Damali
35865 posts
Wed May-24-23 08:27 PM

6. "oh wow...i actually didn't go in one"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed May-24-23 08:35 PM by Damali

although my guess would be yes lol.

>did you hit mount fuji?

not directly, but we spent some time in Hakone and Shizuoka, which is close enough to get a fantastic view. Fuji hikes aren't available in May

>
>talk about the bullet trains. why can't we have nice things?

IM SAYING!!!!! yo they are sweet AF...it feels like you're flying on the ground...the seats are comfy, they have tray tables and recline and a coat hook on the wall...bathrooms are large and clean. When i go back, i'm riding them more..its a small country so you can really see alot if you utilize them...Kyoto to Tokyo was 2.5 hrs, when it would be a 6 hour drive.

>anything you didn't expect to see?

-Japanese people falling down drunk on the streets late at night and/or sleeping in the train station after missing the last train LOL
-stray cats hanging out at shrines & temples
-clean public bathrooms at EVERY TRAIN STATION
-how open toe shoes aren't really a thing there...most places we went, i was the only person wearing them..and it was HOT
-the color cream/beige has a CHOKEHOLD on everybody
-how nobody is rude but also don't say excuse me..ever. LOL
-how people queue patiently for everything. even on the subway platform
- navigating the subway system wasn't as hard as i thought it would be
-the EXCHANGE RATE!!! 135 yen for $1. that was dope

tokyo night life?

bars, street food & karaoke. in that order. i had the best ramen of my life at a corner open stall at 2am

>all you hear on the news is the declining birth rate, did you
>see an aging population throughout?

great question...i wasn't checking for that but i did notice that old people are well respected and regarded and quite fit mostly. tokyo is full of young folks (or maybe the older ones stay home more?). Saw alot more older people in Kyoto and Hakone

>haven't been to tokyo since 99 but i remember it fondly.
>hoping to go back soon.

same! but i'm gonna spend more time in Kyoto next time...really loved it

d

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed May-24-23 09:22 AM

3. "RE: On: Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto Japan"
In response to Reply # 0

Kyoto was my fave. I REALLY loved Kyoto. So much of that traditional charm that we see about japan (outside of Tokyo)..... Kyoto embodies that.

Did you visit that huge Shrine park there?

Did you see the Kubuki Theatre or have a chance to go inside?

authentic Green tea is a big import of Kyoto. I remember getting green tea ice cream from these green tea shop downtown - let's just say it was an acquired taste.

side thought: please don't ask me to remember what this restaurant was called. But I had the BEST Indian food I ever ate in Kyoto.

Tokyo is so huge and has so many parts. I wouldn't know where to begin.
I stayed close to Ahkiharaba, the electronics and arcade district.
I can remember going to Shibuya Crossing. I assume you were there as well. Did you go to the Tower Records? lol

Oh...and Odaiba was pretty neat too! They had that big Gundam Warrior on display.

I only did a day in Osaka but it was a pretty chill small city with a smaller vibe than Tokyo. had some GREAT food there.

Damali
35865 posts
Wed May-24-23 08:39 PM

7. "RE: On: Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto Japan"
In response to Reply # 3

>Kyoto was my fave. I REALLY loved Kyoto. So much of that
>traditional charm that we see about japan (outside of
>Tokyo)..... Kyoto embodies that.

same here!!!! next time i go, Kyoto will be the base instead of Tokyo

>Did you visit that huge Shrine park there?

The one with the orange gates? or another one? I did climb to the top of Inari Mountain (with all the orange gates)

>Did you see the Kubuki Theatre or have a chance to go inside? nope
>
>authentic Green tea is a big import of Kyoto. I remember
>getting green tea ice cream from these green tea shop downtown
>- let's just say it was an acquired taste.

i love all things green tea! especially the ice cream.
>

>Tokyo is so huge and has so many parts. I wouldn't know where
>to begin.
>I stayed close to Ahkiharaba, the electronics and arcade
>district.

my son copped a PS5 for $400 at that huge electronics store

>I can remember going to Shibuya Crossing. I assume you were
>there as well.

Yes!!! that was so cool

Did you go to the Tower Records?

nah but I saw it
>
>Oh...and Odaiba was pretty neat too! They had that big Gundam
>Warrior on display.

damn i missed that

>
>I only did a day in Osaka but it was a pretty chill small city
>with a smaller vibe than Tokyo. had some GREAT food there.

I only did half a day...by the time we got there my feet were GONE!!! legs swollen etc

we walked about 60 miles in a week. wild

d

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Thu May-25-23 09:41 AM

9. "RE: On: Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto Japan"
In response to Reply # 7

>>Did you visit that huge Shrine park there?
>
>The one with the orange gates? or another one? I did climb to
>the top of Inari Mountain (with all the orange gates)
>
Yup, that's the one I was talking about. I can't remember the name to save my life. I didn't get up that mountain, though. lol

>>I stayed close to Ahkiharaba, the electronics and arcade
>>district.
>
>my son copped a PS5 for $400 at that huge electronics store
>
>

YO.. That's CRAZY!

>I only did half a day...by the time we got there my feet were
>GONE!!! legs swollen etc
>
>we walked about 60 miles in a week. wild
>
>d

Thanks for hitting me back!

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Thu May-25-23 03:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "how easy was it for you to communicate? "
In response to Reply # 0

were u able to get around speaking english or were u using google translate constantly?

where did u stay most of the time? hotel, airbnb?

what did the demographics look like? a lot of non-japanese in the places you've been? did u come across other blk folks?

japan is definitely on the bucket list for me.... for a 7-10 day family trip with a young child (8-9 years-old)... which cities should i visit/stay in?

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

spades
44258 posts
Wed May-31-23 07:43 PM

10. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Damali
35865 posts
Wed May-31-23 11:53 PM

12. "my personal assistant, Google Translate, did they job well"
In response to Reply # 8

>were u able to get around speaking english or were u using
>google translate constantly?

both. from a commerce perspective, most folks speak and understand "shopping english' even if they can't hold a conversation. like 'small coffee' is understood, numbers of things you want, where's the toilet etc etc

beyond that, we used google translate for EVERYTHING..the photo function is so fuckking dope...like we can see whole ass menus in English right before our eyes...it was wonderful

>where did u stay most of the time? hotel, airbnb?

we mixed it up...we started out at an Airbnb in Tokyo for a couple days, then switched to a hotel for another couple days, stayed in a traditional ryokan (inn) in Hakone, then stayed in a hotel in Kyoto...we wanted to have a range of experiences in that way. The hotels are best when you want to stow your luggage for sightseeing. The Airbnb had a hella complicated entry system, with codes and video calls etc etc ...it seems most of them are licensed "rooms" that no one actually lives in. I actually hate that that's what they are now. Might as well just get a hotel without all the strict checkin and house rules hassle.
>
>what did the demographics look like? a lot of non-japanese in
>the places you've been?

definitely at least 90% Japanese in Tokyo. 99% outside of Tokyo. we got stares (very brief furtive looks cuz Japanese people don't stare) in smaller towns and on the buses.

did u come across other blk folks?

we did our best to try to talk, at least briefly, to every Black person we saw LOL I was annoying but whatever..some engaged. We saw the most Black folk in Tokyo, which shoulddn't surprised anyone cuz its a major metropolitan city...however upon talking to them, most of them were carribean & African. maybe we saw like 4 Black americans.

Outside of Tokyo...especially on more local trains and buses, we were almost always the only Black people...and he has locs and I have natural hair..so we stood out EVERYWHERE..got alot of looks and double takes and kids stared lol. but it never felt unsafe...just odd.

>japan is definitely on the bucket list for me.... for a 7-10
>day family trip with a young child (8-9 years-old)... which
>cities should i visit/stay in?

We saw so many more kid-focused things in Tokyo..., however, Super Nintendo World is near Osaka and its HIGHLY recommended..a kid that age will have the time of their life! We couldn't go cuz we didn't book online ahead of time (like a month ahead) so make sure you do that.

But yes, Tokyo is very kid-friendly. you'll even see kids travelling alone on buses to and from school. its safe for them cuz adults leave them the hell alone (imagine)

d

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sun Jun-04-23 05:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "thks! really appreciated!"
In response to Reply # 12

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

spades
44258 posts
Wed May-31-23 07:44 PM

11. "How comfortable did you feel?"
In response to Reply # 0

There are conflicting reports on Japan's well-meaning racism.

How was it on the ground?

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Damali
35865 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 09:46 AM

14. "very comfortable"
In response to Reply # 11

>There are conflicting reports on Japan's well-meaning
>racism.

from what i experienced, its more that there simply aren't many Black people there, outside of Tokyo. we got brief looks and "stares" as we traveled to other parts of the country, but still got the same top-notch service from any business we patronized. It didn't feel like we were treated any differently.

However, there were times when we walked into small izakaya and were not greeted warmly and told we had to have a reservation...was it because we were Black or just because we were foreigners? no way to know...especially since we're not living here and don't speak the language.

But were we safe from murderous cops and white supremacists? ABSOLUTELY

d

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 06:15 PM

15. "Bumping this as I am actually taking a similar trip next week "
In response to Reply # 0

Tokyo and Kyoto for a week, first time, have flights and hotels booked and everything else is up in the air/pretty loose.

Any reccs as far as must-see places/eats/experiences? Any tips on things to prep for/expect as it's my first time visiting?

It's all pretty low-stakes as you might be able to tell by the fact that we haven't set much up, I'm not a "itinerary traveler" but figured this would be a good place to check in.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 07:42 AM

16. "I have no advice to add as I haven't been yet but...."
In response to Reply # 15

I was looking up videos on being Black in Japan, African restaurants in Tokyo and the Ethiopian Airlines flight there this past weekend. Just to see what that was about.

Have a safe and eventful trip.

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 10:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "RE: Bumping this as I am actually taking a similar trip next week "
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Sep-20-23 10:43 AM by Steve O Tron v2

Not really itinerary-related, and you may already be aware of these things, but some tips to make life a little easier:

Get an IC card for transportation (e.g., Suica, PASMO, ICOCA). They're all essentially the same, so just get whichever one is available at the airport/station you arrive at. You load cash onto the card and use it to scan at the automated ticket gates. Funds are automatically deducted, so you'll save time not needing to figure out exact fares for each of your rides and/or transfers. You can also use the cards for payments at plenty of stores/shops.
PASMO: https://www.pasmo.co.jp/visitors/en/buy/
Suica: https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html

Don't know what banks or credit cards you use, but check if your debit card waives foreign ATM fees and if your credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. For example, certain Schwab debit cards should reimburse all ATM fees. Even if your debit card does charge fees, you're still probably way better off than using any currency exchange place. Japan has become more credit-friendly in the last few years, but there will still be times when you need cash. I usually just use the ATMs that are in the ubiquitous convenience stores in the country.

In case you want to exchange phone contact information or send messages with people, almost everyone uses LINE, so download and set up an account back home. It might be harder to do after you've arrived due to phone number verification and other things. I've had some rare instances where restaurants used LINE to to help track reservations to avoid long queues.

Pocket WiFi or sim cards for on-the-go internet access. WiFi might make sense if you're traveling in a group. I personally just use a visitor sim card.

Oh, don't forget to take advantage of tax-free purchases when you can.

Hope you have a nice trip!

Damali
35865 posts
Wed Sep-20-23 03:35 PM

18. "all of this, plus a few other things"
In response to Reply # 17

- be respectful of shrines that you enter/pass...mainly, if you're going to engage with a shrine that has grounds, watch how others interact with it and follow suit (sometimes you're supposed to rinse your hands in water before entering the shrine) or just dont engage with them at all. they are considered sacred by most.

Kyoto
- the bamboo forest - but get there no later than 830am if you want to avoid the crowds. its stunning
- Mt. Inaru is a must, imo (the orange gates), again, the earlier in the day, the better

Tokyo
- its so huge that I can't even call it when it comes to what you must see, however I do suggest you wander through Shibuya (ok the Shibuya Crossing is hella fun in a chaotic way), Shinjuku and Akihabara (i think that's the name of the neighborhood). Just take the subway to random stops, get off and walk around. Tokyo is full of hidden gems

- also go eat at what's called Piss Alley...look it up. that's the nickname of the place,,i can't remember the name right now..i know it sounds terrible...but it will be the most exciting experience cuz its this long 'alley' filled with hundreds of tiny izakaya with like 6 seats each where you'll have the most delicious food ever. it got that nickname cuz there aren't many public bathrooms nearby

- no tipping is so great

d

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Thu Sep-21-23 02:55 PM

19. "Is this Golden Gai?"
In response to Reply # 18

If so... I had THEE most amazing time there. Highly recommend.

>- also go eat at what's called Piss Alley...look it up. that's
>the nickname of the place,,i can't remember the name right
>now..i know it sounds terrible...but it will be the most
>exciting experience cuz its this long 'alley' filled with
>hundreds of tiny izakaya with like 6 seats each where you'll
>have the most delicious food ever. it got that nickname cuz
>there aren't many public bathrooms nearby
>

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 01:20 PM

22. "yes, that's it..thanks!"
In response to Reply # 19

i actually didn't get to go because my feet were swollen the final two days of my trip, which sucked cuz there was so much more to see

definitely next time.

d

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Sat Sep-23-23 06:26 PM

20. "Thanks for all the info / newb question "
In response to Reply # 17

What should I do in terms of cash before leaving USA? Would it behoove me to have USD cash in hand when I land in Japan? Exchange USD to yen before I get on a plane?

I'm looking into card options (seems like the Suica is discontinued?) as well as figuring out the ATM fees...but as I've never been before I don't know best practice as far as cash once I arrive.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 02:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "RE: Thanks for all the info / newb question "
In response to Reply # 20

>What should I do in terms of cash before leaving USA? Would
>it behoove me to have USD cash in hand when I land in Japan?
>Exchange USD to yen before I get on a plane?
>
>I'm looking into card options (seems like the Suica is
>discontinued?) as well as figuring out the ATM fees...but as
>I've never been before I don't know best practice as far as
>cash once I arrive.

I've read that some of the card options like Suica have been (temporarily) discontinued due to a chip shortages. I'm not sure how PASMO is. For cash I normally just use the ATMs at the airport because I have a debit card with no fees, and ATMs in Japan usually give you the best rates anyways. But if you are able to do an exchange back home that offers you a better rate, you could bring that cash with you instead.

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 07:31 PM

24. "I recommend getting a CashApp card"
In response to Reply # 20

they do not charge international transaction fees. so i would transfer money from my bank account to cashapp, then use cashapp card at an atm in Japan to get yen

d

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Sat Sep-23-23 06:58 PM

21. "This is dope. My Son and I are planning to go next year."
In response to Reply # 0

open to all suggestions.

But I have people in Osaka

and I want to visit Mt. Fuji

and Tokyo, and possibly Fukushima (for grad school research)

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13477859 Previous topic | Next topic