Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13475808

Subject: "2022 to 2023 regrets and resolutions" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sat Dec-31-22 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2022 to 2023 regrets and resolutions"

I dont have too many regrets on how I handled this year. I did as many good things as I could with the bandwidth I had

2023 I’m trying to build upon some lessons of this year and going to spend the first week of the year trying to game plan and strategize.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sounds like a good plan to assess things
Dec 31st 2022
I will give myself more time to breathe and relax on trying to
Jan 01st 2023
I'm going to make a real effort to seek therapy...
Jan 02nd 2023
That last line is all too felt. And it makes sense, IMO.
Jan 03rd 2023
      Right on, man...
Jan 03rd 2023
I started therapy and meds this year. I have a LOT of regret.
Jan 03rd 2023

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sat Dec-31-22 09:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sounds like a good plan to assess things"
In response to Reply # 0

Progress, not perfection...

Your critique about your progress seems normal and quite common. At least I know there are areas I wanted to have more results this year. (reading more, physical health, more invested in news and politics, being more connected to family) But there's only so much we can do day-to-day, especially in your situation with a family you've started and a wife. Plus, we can't forget the world literally is in a state of slow-motion and hasn't fully come out of that downtime.

Also, my father died in July after an 18-month battle with late-stage Alzheimers. I think, all things considered, things went as well as they could. I'm in therapy now, and that'll continue to be a way to work on myself and make progress on some short and long-term goals.

Best of luck to you as you continue to grow and become your best self.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Sun Jan-01-23 08:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I will give myself more time to breathe and relax on trying to "
In response to Reply # 0

absorb so much. For the last 3 years, I've been running to get more and more prepared for a career pivot. The pivot happened and the learning ramped up.

The focus now will be on better pacing for work related stuff and also getting back to being caring about body and overall health. Had some drop off because of life.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Jan-02-23 03:24 PM

3. "I'm going to make a real effort to seek therapy..."
In response to Reply # 0

I let my first and only attempt at therapy and how badly it turned out, convince me that I'll be fine without it and I can just tough my way through things...which is what got me to where I was, early 2020 when I finally went to the VA and asked for help. Since then I have made a couple of half-assed attempts at finding a new therapist. Taking care of one's self should be a no-brainer, but...

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 02:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "That last line is all too felt. And it makes sense, IMO. "
In response to Reply # 3

>I let my first and only attempt at therapy and how badly it
>turned out, convince me that I'll be fine without it and I can
>just tough my way through things...which is what got me to
>where I was, early 2020 when I finally went to the VA and
>asked for help. Since then I have made a couple of half-assed
>attempts at finding a new therapist.

>Taking care of one's self should be a no-brainer, but...

Truth be told, the first sentence is why the last sentence makes so much sense.

There are so many reasons not to take care of yourself to the utmost, or at least reasons we tell ourselves. For me, it was much more fatalistic, a deep rooted feeling that things could only get so good for me, but that I was somehow destined to fail at every turn. On one hand, that was my own voice telling me these things, on the other, life experiences continually reinforced them.

One of the things I've learned to remind myself of, is just how many other people- men in particular- deal with these and other issues. it's not just you, and you're not alone- even if you're alone.

I'm glad to hear you're making that effort fam. More people- and more men- need to take that seriously.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 11:55 AM

6. "Right on, man..."
In response to Reply # 5

I appreciate your words, more than you know...and I don't just mean in this particular post. Thank you.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 02:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I started therapy and meds this year. I have a LOT of regret. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-03-23 02:19 AM by Cold Truth

In the process of getting better, I am reminded of far too many things today's "me" would have done better, wouldn't have done at all.

I suppose it's like when you have a bad flu- you're still miserable while you're in it, but once those symptoms start healing up, you start realizing how fucked up you really were.

I'd say that's been the biggest draw back to therapy, the further away I get from my old self, the more clarity I have. I'm a lot better in a lot of ways, but a lot of those old callouses have worn down, for both better and worse.

The biggest regret is not working seriously at this years ago.

But that's part of the process, I suppose.

To that end, I suppose my resolution is to stay on this course, expanding it to my physical health.

I've done more music this last year than any period in recent memory, so the goal is to open a beat store and develop a YT/IG/Spotify presence by April.

That, more quality time with the fam, less time bullshitting online are priorities.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13475808 Previous topic | Next topic