Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13475739

Subject: "Expositional Exploration of the musical styles - an exercise" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Thu Dec-29-22 04:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Expositional Exploration of the musical styles - an exercise"
Thu Dec-29-22 04:11 PM by c71

So....

From the comment I made on the Jill Scott tour post about how I wasn't ever too crazy about the Neo-soul sound.....

...I am kinda interested at this juncture of Black Music history to kinda wax eloquent about the various styles that made (are making) a mark on Black music somewhat recently...

So... here I go..

Ahem...

Trap:

eh....very popular. Black people really like it....Aren't really letting go of it....Many are saying Black people sticking to it is making us look devoid of creativity at this point...but...Trap STILL retains some kind of "swagger" that YELLS "this is what Black people are really feeling!!!!" so....like the Blues which many could say around the 50's and 60's "this stuff is kinda...." (compared to soul and jazz in the 50's and 60's)...Trap STILL has a grip that "means something"

Neo-Soul:

People still hold the Figureheads in regard: Badu, D'Angelo, Maxwell. Some diehards will still support the Workman/work-woman level of Jill, Bilal, Raheem Devaughn, Rashaan Patterson, India, Musiq....eh...People still hold the movement in regard. Seems it's still somewhat treading water.

The Neptunes sound:

Was wildly popular in R&B, hip-hop, and pop. Still was regarded as quirky. Sort of still influencing pop (along with the Timbaland sound). Black people sort of not-too interested in the Neptunes sound anymore.

Sa-Ra Creative Partners sound:

Sort of bubbled under the surface. Bilal's "love for sale" got shelved - that says a lot. Badu probably didn't get the best version on her New Amerykah part 1 album....Sort of toyed with by Kanye (G.O.O.D music didn't release "Black Fuzz"). Artistically, it seemed better than Neo-Soul but it certainly go as far as Neo-Soul.

So....

Have your go at "summing up" these different strains of somewhat recent Black music. Uh, we don't HAVE to bring up Jazz and Reggae and Funk, etc. in this exploration

This is just about waxing eloquent about the various recent styles of Black music.

Give it a try.....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
^
Aug 28th 2023

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Mon Aug-28-23 03:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

^

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby General Discussion topic #13475739 Previous topic | Next topic