Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13470395

Subject: "Stock Market Talk (part 2)" Previous topic | Next topic
After_Words
Member since Aug 04th 2007
591 posts
Sat Oct-08-22 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Stock Market Talk (part 2)"

So my wife and I lucked into some money and we were thinking of giving it to a fund manager to invest for us. BUT, I'm thinking I just take this money and invest it into SPY or VOO.

In addition to the dividends, I want to sell covered calls on them each month.

Should I just give the money to a fund manager and forget about it for the next 20 years or should I invest it myself? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys!

--------------------------------
"I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." -- Mitch Hedberg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE
Oct 08th 2022
RE: NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE
Oct 10th 2022
Manager/advisor fees will *EAT* (lower) your returns
Oct 08th 2022
RE: Manager/advisor fees will *EAT* (lower) your returns
Oct 10th 2022
      Vanguard is unique in the investment/asset mgmt industry
Oct 10th 2022
95% of equity ETFs & 95% of fixed income ETFs have negative returns
Oct 19th 2022

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Sat Oct-08-22 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

>So my wife and I lucked into some money and we were thinking
>of giving it to a fund manager to invest for us. BUT, I'm
>thinking I just take this money and invest it into SPY or VOO.
>
>
>In addition to the dividends, I want to sell covered calls on
>them each month.
>
>Should I just give the money to a fund manager and forget
>about it for the next 20 years or should I invest it myself?
>Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys!

If you independently manage it yourself, NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE, look into:

Treasury bonds and their European equivalent gilts. If you have enough money you can buy as many as you want with upwards of a 30 year maturation rate.

If you go stock market look into index funds comprised of America's best companies. Look into dividend funds as well.

Stay away from crypto if you lack time to monitor your investment, especially crypto over seven zeroes value.

Best of luck either way.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

After_Words
591 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 05:43 PM

3. "RE: NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE"
In response to Reply # 1

>Treasury bonds and their European equivalent gilts. If you
>have enough money you can buy as many as you want with upwards
>of a 30 year maturation rate.
>
>If you go stock market look into index funds comprised of
>America's best companies. Look into dividend funds as well.
>
>Stay away from crypto if you lack time to monitor your
>investment, especially crypto over seven zeroes value.
>
>Best of luck either way.

Oh for sure... this is kind of our retirement money, so I just want to choose a stock and leave it in for the next 20-25 years. I'm not messing around with crypto.

I appreciate your advice on treasury bonds! I looked up I-bonds and the interest rate is 9.5%! Although the only catch is that you can only invest $10,000 at a time. I'll look into other types of bonds, thank you!

"I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." -- Mitch Hedberg

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Sat Oct-08-22 04:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Manager/advisor fees will *EAT* (lower) your returns"
In response to Reply # 0

Any alpha a fund manager or advisor generates largely (if not all) goes to them due to the fees (and/or commission).

If you don't want to do it yourself, find a fiduciary advisor that charges hourly (and/or one-time fixed fee for portfolio review) and does not charge % of assets under management fee.

Fees can easily cost individual/retail investors tens of thousands of dollars over a lifetime.

I love Vanguard's low-fee funds and ETFs, but I'm not so sure yet of utilizing their Personal Advisor Services or Digital Advisor.

After_Words
591 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 05:45 PM

4. "RE: Manager/advisor fees will *EAT* (lower) your returns"
In response to Reply # 2

>
>I love Vanguard's low-fee funds and ETFs, but I'm not so sure
>yet of utilizing their Personal Advisor Services or Digital
>Advisor.
>

Tell me more about Vanguard's ETFs please... is that like VOO? Or are there other Vanguard ETFs that you feel more comfortable investing in?

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 07:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Vanguard is unique in the investment/asset mgmt industry"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Oct-10-22 07:06 PM by Sponge

Its owners are shareholders of their funds/etfs:

"Our company is owned by its member funds, which in turn are owned by fund shareholders."

The average of expense ratios in the industry ex-Vanguard is 0.49 ($49 fee per $10,000 invested). Vanguard's average expense ratio is ridiculously lower at 0.09 ($9 fee per $10,000 invested).

Warren Buffett has instructed the trustee of his wife's inheritance to invest 90% in a low cost S&P 500 index fund and 10% short-term government bonds. VOO will cost you just $3 per $10,000.

Vanguard is known for their low-fee passively managed market cap weighted funds. But even their actively managed funds are low-fee, comparatively. I hold both passive (VTI, VEA, VYM, VYMI) and active (VFMF, VFMV, VFVA).

A 1% AUM fee advisor would charge you $1,000 for $100,000. DIY with, say, VOO, would cost you $30 for $100,000 investment.

Can't go wrong with S&P500 (voo/vfiax) or total US stock market (vti/vtsax) or the world (vt/vtwax). Or a target date fund (target retirement fund). All are at 20+% discounts.

When the s&p 500 has decline 25%, here are the 1 year, 3 year, 5 year, 10 year returns:
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Screenshot-2022-09-30-222222.png

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Wed Oct-19-22 04:54 PM

6. "95% of equity ETFs & 95% of fixed income ETFs have negative returns"
In response to Reply # 0

over the trailing 12 months. Still, there are some outperformers out there.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13470395 Previous topic | Next topic