Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13470321

Subject: "Are you all ready for nuclear war?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are you all ready for nuclear war?"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/07/politics/joe-biden-nuclear-weapons-russia-vladimir-putin/index.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
watch this game / simulation from princeton
Oct 07th 2022
that's scary af!
Oct 07th 2022
for real... another view on why this ending like this isn't likely
Oct 07th 2022
The game theory is terrifying.
Oct 07th 2022
How about a nice game of chess?
Oct 10th 2022
      except in real life off-screen, and with nukes
Oct 12th 2022
my concept of nuclear war is so outdated.
Oct 07th 2022
Last I’d seen, 10 minutes is the window.
Oct 07th 2022
i been writing for about 20 years. ice storms and mundane shit like that
Oct 07th 2022
telling people a nuke will be in NYC in two hours...
Oct 12th 2022
I watched the made for TV movie “Threads” last week that
Oct 07th 2022
yup.. aint shit I can do about it. I’m ready
Oct 07th 2022
everybodys' got a bomb, we could all die any day
Oct 07th 2022
No, fuck all this hoe shit
Oct 07th 2022
Nobody is ready for nuclear war.
Oct 09th 2022
I honestly think his generals would kill him before it got this stage
Oct 09th 2022
You can't "acquire" expensive apartments in a nuked city.
Oct 11th 2022
It makes some sense to make the threat. Even Trump did a few times.
Oct 12th 2022
      a hopeful example - we should have all been toast in 1983
Oct 12th 2022
You can kiss your ass... goodbye...goodbye (c)
Oct 09th 2022
Nah it’s not like it’s something we have any control over anyway
Oct 09th 2022
MEIN FÜRHER! I CAN WALK!
Oct 16th 2022

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "watch this game / simulation from princeton"
In response to Reply # 0

it begins with a warning shot from russia.

https://sgs.princeton.edu/the-lab/plan-a

"This four-minute audio-visual piece is based on independent assessments of current U.S. and Russian force postures, nuclear war plans, and nuclear weapons targets. It uses extensive data sets of the nuclear weapons currently deployed, weapon yields, and possible targets for particular weapons, as well as the order of battle estimating which weapons go to which targets in which order in which phase of the war to show the evolution of the nuclear conflict from tactical, to strategic to city-targeting phases. "

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "that's scary af!"
In response to Reply # 1

83 million dead in 45 minutes!

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 12:56 PM

3. "for real... another view on why this ending like this isn't likely"
In response to Reply # 2

https://snyder.substack.com/p/how-does-the-russo-ukrainian-war

basically details how/why a russian power struggle could force putin to withdraw.

" If the scenario I describe here unfolds, we don't have to worry about the kinds of things we tend to worry about, like how Putin is feeling about the war, and whether Russians will be upset about losing. During an internal struggle for power in Russia, Putin and other Russians will have other things on their minds, and the war will give way to those more pressing concerns. Sometimes you change the subject, and sometimes the subject changes you.

Of course, all of this remains very hard to predict, especially at any level of detail. Other outcomes are entirely possible. But the line of development I discuss here is not only far better, but also far more likely, than the doomsday scenarios we fear. It is thus worth considering, and worth preparing for."

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 05:07 PM

6. "The game theory is terrifying. "
In response to Reply # 1

Once a single nuclear weapon is used, at least if it's from Russia or the US, it's almost impossible for it NOT to lead to world annihilation. Basically because both sides know that if they hesitate the other side has plenty of time, and every motivation, to wipe out their entire stockpile. So even if it's just a "small, tactical" nuclear weapon (which in and of itself might have limited consequences especially if it's some kind of warning shot not sent to a populated area), the only "rational" response is to fire all your nuclear weapons at every known element of the opposing arsenal. And knowing that, the other side knows that they need to fire off their whole arsenal before it gets destroyed.

If things go sideways the entire idea of life on earth gets fundamentally changed within about a 30 minute timespan. Most of us wouldn't even know it's happening until after it's done. After about a month everyone will agree that the lucky ones were the ones who were instantly vaporized.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 11:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "How about a nice game of chess?"
In response to Reply # 1

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed Oct-12-22 03:45 PM

20. "except in real life off-screen, and with nukes "
In response to Reply # 16

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "my concept of nuclear war is so outdated."
In response to Reply # 0

like i thought a missile goes up and you got you a few hours to hit the highway and leave the target zone (assuming traffic isnt at a stand still) and so on.

nigga them shits hit in like 30 minutes land to land and even faster by sub.

most people wouldnt even know them shits had already hit before they got vaporized.

i dont even know if we have some nuclear alert system that is capable of identifying the projectile path and notifying everyone in that timespan.

shit it prolly takes at least 15 mins alone to relay info through the command and get confirmation and a decision.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Last I’d seen, 10 minutes is the window."
In response to Reply # 4

And I’m in Omaha, home of STRATCOM and one of those first big dots in the US in that simulation, so this isn’t exactly uncommon conversation right now.

On the real, I kinda feel like I’d just try to get as close to the actual blast as possible. I’m not trying to play Fallout in real life.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 09:36 PM

11. "i been writing for about 20 years. ice storms and mundane shit like that"
In response to Reply # 4

shut down entire major metro traffic. multi-hour backups. ain't nobody escaping a nuclear war on a highway. if you ain't already in a low population center, it's a wrap.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Triptych
Charter member
30125 posts
Wed Oct-12-22 01:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
18. "telling people a nuke will be in NYC in two hours..."
In response to Reply # 4

probably just straight up doesn't work. Might not even save lives. You simply can't evac manhattan or even make a real dent in that amount of time, assuming everyone is trying to leave at once.

If we _did_ have that long I'm guessing we'd spend probably that entire time trying to shoot it down.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 06:14 PM

7. "I watched the made for TV movie “Threads” last week that"
In response to Reply # 0

traces the effects of a nuclear holocaust on the working class city of Sheffield, England and the eventual long-term effects of nuclear war on civilization.

No, I am not ready.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79601 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 07:25 PM

8. "yup.. aint shit I can do about it. I’m ready"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

rdhull
Charter member
33136 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 08:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "everybodys' got a bomb, we could all die any day"
In response to Reply # 0

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Fri Oct-07-22 08:57 PM

10. "No, fuck all this hoe shit"
In response to Reply # 0

At this point I’ll knuckle up with any of these hoe ass mfers though, to the death. The way it was meant to be.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 04:37 AM

12. "Nobody is ready for nuclear war."
In response to Reply # 0

And I expect (hope) that this realization will keep the powers that be from actually going there.

I doubt that Putin is going to press the big red button first, although I wouldn't put it past him and his army to use small scale tactical nuclear weapons in an effort to further terrorize Ukraine.

And even in that case I don't expect other nuclear powers to escalate along the strategic nuclear route, simply because there is nothing to win by doing so. I think it's more likely that conventional support would be ramped up in an effort to hasten the defeat of the RF and make Putin's position as head of state even more untenable.

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 09:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I honestly think his generals would kill him before it got this stage"
In response to Reply # 12

I refuse (maybe naively) to believe that his closest advisors and confidants even want this Ukraine war to happen and theyre just waiting for him to die for some semblance of normalcy (or whatever they had before all this popped off)

>I doubt that Putin is going to press the big red button first,
>although I wouldn't put it past him and his army to use small
>scale tactical nuclear weapons in an effort to further
>terrorize Ukraine.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Tue Oct-11-22 04:17 PM

17. "You can't "acquire" expensive apartments in a nuked city."
In response to Reply # 14

Triptych
Charter member
30125 posts
Wed Oct-12-22 01:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
19. "It makes some sense to make the threat. Even Trump did a few times."
In response to Reply # 12

But for reasons outlined above, actually deploying one is, in the _best_ case, total isolation from the rest of the world powers, and total devastation for the Russian people. That's if no nation retaliates with military strikes against Russian targets.

I'm curious if we even think Putin is capable of giving the order. e.g. would his generals follow it, knowing what it would lead to?

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed Oct-12-22 03:50 PM

21. "a hopeful example - we should have all been toast in 1983"
In response to Reply # 19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 07:40 AM

13. "You can kiss your ass... goodbye...goodbye (c)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Oct-09-22 07:44 AM by bentagain

https://youtu.be/lsPrINajncU

What you gonna do...without your ass

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85074 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 10:06 AM

15. "Nah it’s not like it’s something we have any control over anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

Live your life people. This one is above us

<--- Big Baller World Order

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Sun Oct-16-22 10:35 PM

22. " MEIN FÜRHER! I CAN WALK!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Lobby General Discussion topic #13470321 Previous topic | Next topic