Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13466938

Subject: "Talkin' shop on a Monday" Previous topic | Next topic
spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Aug-22-22 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talkin' shop on a Monday"

So ole girl I was finna push to fire really showed me something last week. She worked hard, was communicative. It ALMOST makes me wanna keep her.

almost.

What's up w/y'all?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how much more time do you give her?
Aug 22nd 2022
RE: how much more time do you give her?
Aug 23rd 2022
true.
Aug 24th 2022
200K? sheeit, what you do again, lol
Aug 30th 2022
officemate has been working remotely since last week
Aug 22nd 2022
Got birds in hands and bushes and all I need is a vacation. Long.
Aug 22nd 2022
An axe throwing establishment is set to open near me.
Aug 22nd 2022
those things are everywhere now
Aug 30th 2022
documentation at work
Aug 23rd 2022
it can be really helpful to have a procedural guide
Aug 23rd 2022
had a great talk with my manager today.
Aug 23rd 2022
Drove all the way to work (82 miles 1.5 hours)
Aug 29th 2022
Friday
Aug 29th 2022
Car battery prices SUCK / School Uniforms
Aug 29th 2022
yeah i had to replace my car battery last month
Aug 30th 2022
I start working remotely next week
Aug 30th 2022
PicInic! Bwahaahahaahahaha!
Aug 30th 2022
      I can't pronounce picnic without adding the extra 'I'. Thanks H/B!
Aug 30th 2022

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Mon Aug-22-22 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "how much more time do you give her?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was on call last week. today, went over my calls with the team. all cases closed, but one.

so I'll have to call a few folks that are involved with the one case. this will be a first since having this job.

I like this team a lot, but this isn't the job I'm staying at forever. it's extinguishing flames or basically putting out potential fires. not my strong suit. I like to be in front of things. more like a consulting role.

however, I need to put in work with this job so I get a good understanding of the space and move on from there.

my boy said that when he left our comp, he got a 30k raise at his next job. he's probably hovering around 200k now. he's had about 5 jobs since leaving my comp. gotta get my weight up.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

jimaveli
Charter member
6624 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 05:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: how much more time do you give her?"
In response to Reply # 1

>I was on call last week. today, went over my calls with the
>team. all cases closed, but one.
>
>so I'll have to call a few folks that are involved with the
>one case. this will be a first since having this job.
>
>I like this team a lot, but this isn't the job I'm staying at
>forever. it's extinguishing flames or basically putting out
>potential fires. not my strong suit. I like to be in front of
>things. more like a consulting role.

Yeah. Consulting sounds cool to me sometimes. But even with that, you have to be interested enough to establish what makes the most sense for the company to do, right? And then, AT THE SAME TIME, you need at least some of amount of 'hey, if these folks screw this up/don't take my guidance, its whatever for me. I'll be down the road heading to the next department/company'.

Staying at the same place for a long time, you can find yourself caring too much about the results of things and it can DRIVE YOU CRAZY when things don't go the way you want them to.

>however, I need to put in work with this job so I get a good
>understanding of the space and move on from there.
>
>my boy said that when he left our comp, he got a 30k raise at
>his next job. he's probably hovering around 200k now. he's had
>about 5 jobs since leaving my comp. gotta get my weight up.

Jumping jobs at the right time appears to be VERY lucrative financially.

And some people have the right mindset to jump around jobs. And it can work out REALLY well for those people. And then, sometimes, it can go impressively wrong for people are NOT in the right frame of mind for this type of moving.

Mainly, there's the people who think all of the good things about their old gigs are going to follow them to the new ones. And I'm like 'NO! WRONG!'.

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Wed Aug-24-22 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "true."
In response to Reply # 8

>
>Yeah. Consulting sounds cool to me sometimes. But even with
>that, you have to be interested enough to establish what makes
>the most sense for the company to do, right? And then, AT THE
>SAME TIME, you need at least some of amount of 'hey, if these
>folks screw this up/don't take my guidance, its whatever for
>me. I'll be down the road heading to the next
>department/company'.

Yes, you do need to have interest in helping the client and presenting the options to them. Ultimately it's up to them to make decisions, which the consultant may or may not agree to. You just have to let them run their company even if you think it's not the best route.

>
>Staying at the same place for a long time, you can find
>yourself caring too much about the results of things and it
>can DRIVE YOU CRAZY when things don't go the way you want them
>to.

I've done consulting before, but it was for specific software installs. I would also do the implementation and training. There was push back or a bit of 'if you don't follow this, that's on you' that I had to deal with. I learned to just play my part because I wasn't responsible if they didn't listen or changed something after I left.

I'm in a new space where I'm learning a bunch of new stuff. It's challenging af right now, but once I get a grasp on things, consulting seems like the move. I enjoy teaching people and watching their light bulbs come on.

Right now, I'm doing more respond/react work. Admittedly, a weak area for me. I've tried to avoid this side of things for most of my career. However, since this is my first rodeo in cyber, I thought it made since to see this side. Then branch out later with a boatload of knowledge and new skills.
>
>
>And some people have the right mindset to jump around jobs.
>And it can work out REALLY well for those people. And then,
>sometimes, it can go impressively wrong for people are NOT in
>the right frame of mind for this type of moving.

This was me before my current company. I didn't stay at jobs very long. Never really bought into staying for loyalty. Even at this company, I've had 4 different roles over 3 teams. All but one was my decision to move to something new. It's all about willingness to adapt.

>
>Mainly, there's the people who think all of the good things
>about their old gigs are going to follow them to the new ones.
>And I'm like 'NO! WRONG!'.

It's definitely a coin flip as to what you'll get. Most of my moves have been an improvement. There was a move that I made that I totally regretted in the moment. Worst job I ever had! and that's including every job since McDonald's as a teen.

Turns out, as bad as that place was, it lead me to the next company doing the same type of work, but less of it and more money.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79868 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 10:49 AM

14. "200K? sheeit, what you do again, lol"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16419 posts
Mon Aug-22-22 11:20 AM

2. "officemate has been working remotely since last week"
In response to Reply # 0

i think they came in monday then found out they had covid so worked from home since. looks like it will continue this week.

were starting to get more work. for a day it looked like we were going to have to rush through some new jobs but the customer pulled the rug right before we were ready to go. im still a bit out of sorts on my priorities, ive kind of just been taking care of things as they come up lately and not keeping track mentally. i dont know if its because i moved to ms lists but i dont feel as on top of things as i typically do. i havent fallen behind but i just feel like i am.

they keep asking what days we will be out on our weekly meetings. i havent taken a day off since june or even done a half day. i finally said i think next friday i might. they instantly jumped on me...thats labor day weekend!! i mean yeah it is but uh yeah. im gonna put in the PTO lol

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22275 posts
Mon Aug-22-22 11:52 AM

3. "Got birds in hands and bushes and all I need is a vacation. Long. "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28861 posts
Mon Aug-22-22 12:49 PM

4. "An axe throwing establishment is set to open near me."
In response to Reply # 0

You read that right: AXE THROWING.

A lot of injuries will occur unfortunately so I'm staying far away from that business.

Pdp f series just launched to stellar reviews. The 4" barrel variant has less recoil than the 3.5". Both chambered in 9mm of course.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

legsdiamond
79868 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 10:49 AM

15. "those things are everywhere now"
In response to Reply # 4

and it sounds like they are late to the party

never heard of any injuries tho

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
16419 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 01:23 PM

5. "documentation at work"
In response to Reply # 0

how much of your job do you document? meaning specific steps in the process. do you have a step by step guide showing how each step is done using the software you currently use? specific to the parameters required by your process/equipment/customer/family of items?

do you fill out a check list on everything you do?

always seems when something goes wrong the answer is "we need a checklist for EVERYTHING" i feel like that will just slow you down and have you too focused on documenting so you will end up missing more things or messing them up and having to correct them.

easy way to turn a small workload into a whole week worth of work though i guess.

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 02:20 PM

6. "it can be really helpful to have a procedural guide"
In response to Reply # 5

for steps. It's really good for those new to a company or process. experience sometimes replaces documentation after a while because everyone will have their own version of the process.

the problem is nobody likes doing it. documenting things takes so much work to not only start, but to maintain over time. it's tedious af.
many times, the person assigned to write isn't the best person for doing that role. then the docs come out shitty.

with all that said, you can't document everything. sometimes you just have to free ball it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 02:23 PM

7. "had a great talk with my manager today."
In response to Reply # 0

he's happy with my progress, drive, and contributions. felt good to hear that.

I've switched how I think about doing this role. Initially, I was focusing on the tools. Now, I'm focused on the concepts and processes. The tools are important, but won't really matter if I don't have a good understanding of the space I'm in.

MEAT
22275 posts
Mon Aug-29-22 06:46 PM

10. "Drove all the way to work (82 miles 1.5 hours)"
In response to Reply # 0

Realized I left my computer at home.
Did my entire work day from my phone at my desk
Wild goofy

------

MEAT
22275 posts
Mon Aug-29-22 06:49 PM

11. "Friday"
In response to Reply # 0

I got the highest compliment from my manager today. There's a huge problem brewing and they need a fixer. And so we're in this meeting with a dude that reports to the dude at the top and Other dude (my manager) goes "yeah, that's why I asked him to help, you know he just fixes shit right? Like that's basically what he does is fix all kinds of shit."

------

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10987 posts
Mon Aug-29-22 08:32 PM

12. "Car battery prices SUCK / School Uniforms"
In response to Reply # 0

My car nearly left me stranded at work in between offices. Turned the key and just got a 'click'. Tried it again and got a slow turnover, but it fired. Drove it right home and logged in for work. Waited for the misses to get home to take the battery to Autozone.

Man....

How that battery went for $200 is painful. When I worked at Autozone it was half that. That said, it's been almost 20 years since I slung car parts, so I guess I should expect some inflation. Still...

b/w

School is back. Kids going full time, no hybrid (for now) or provision to learn online. As such, the school is back to enforcing the uniform policy, which is fine. The school changed the upper classmen's uniform shirt color, which, again, fine. She's in 8th, it's her last year at the school and she would have needed new uni's anyway. The problem is the school wants the school name and crest printed on the shirts, which they had got away from before Covid started. Not only does this make the shirts more expensive, but there's only 2 stores in the state that have the template for the school crest. So, the line is always around the block to get in, and once you're in the store it's like the Hunger Games. We did the smart thing by going to have her fitted, finding ONE shirt and ordering the rest online. But..... the store is now backordered, so we only have the one shirt. Since they are the only game in town I'm sure a slew of parents have the same problem, so the school better not say anything.

Oh, and her shirt is dark green, so she looks like a forest ranger. I told her to keep Yogi Bear from those picinic baskets at lunch. She dio't find it as funny as I did

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

mista k5
16419 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 10:42 AM

13. "yeah i had to replace my car battery last month"
In response to Reply # 12

i think the lowest option was like $230, went with the top option at $330. i remember them being much closer to $100 last time i paid to replace one.

legsdiamond
79868 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 10:54 AM

16. "I start working remotely next week"

and my wife didn’t go back to education so she is home at the moment.

I’m pissed. Not that she isn’t working, she starts teaching afterschool dance and has a residency at a University. I’m pissed because once again I won’t be able to work remotely with no one else in the house, lol.

jimaveli
Charter member
6624 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 11:07 AM

17. "PicInic! Bwahaahahaahahaha!"

>My car nearly left me stranded at work in between offices.
>Turned the key and just got a 'click'. Tried it again and got
>a slow turnover, but it fired. Drove it right home and logged
>in for work. Waited for the misses to get home to take the
>battery to Autozone.
>
>Man....
>
>How that battery went for $200 is painful. When I worked at
>Autozone it was half that. That said, it's been almost 20
>years since I slung car parts, so I guess I should expect some
>inflation. Still...
>
>
>b/w
>
>School is back. Kids going full time, no hybrid (for now) or
>provision to learn online. As such, the school is back to
>enforcing the uniform policy, which is fine. The school
>changed the upper classmen's uniform shirt color, which,
>again, fine. She's in 8th, it's her last year at the school
>and she would have needed new uni's anyway. The problem is the
>school wants the school name and crest printed on the shirts,
>which they had got away from before Covid started. Not only
>does this make the shirts more expensive, but there's only 2
>stores in the state that have the template for the school
>crest. So, the line is always around the block to get in, and
>once you're in the store it's like the Hunger Games. We did
>the smart thing by going to have her fitted, finding ONE shirt
>and ordering the rest online. But..... the store is now
>backordered, so we only have the one shirt. Since they are the
>only game in town I'm sure a slew of parents have the same
>problem, so the school better not say anything.
>

I saw the extra 'I' in picnic and I felt seen and understood.

That shirt/uniform thing is crazy.

And, at this point, I don't know if I'm down with the whole concept if the damn uniform isn't easy to get.

And really, middle school kids don't exactly have killer wardrobes at most non-uniform schools from what I'm seeing. Sure, there's a small crop of 'big shit' kids at the school who are going all out to be dressed to the nines every day. But that's 10% max.

My daughter is in the 8th grade and I'm seeing most of her school-mates with pajama pants, Crocs, and a bunch of shit where the kids looks like they are about to go hoop. Hella jogging pants (not tights) and hooping shorts. And that's boys and girls. Oh, and hella hoodies. A ridiculous amount of hoodies.

Meanwhile, me and my wife threw away hella hoodies (she still has a bunch). And we tried to mix up the wardrobe options during the summer. But even now, she'll show up downstairs with a black bottom and a black top and I'll be like 'nah, go change clothes unless you're planning to rob the school today'. Or a black bottom and grey shirt 3 days in a row. I'll say 'you ain't Ronald McDonald or a cartoon character. So why do you have on the same shit every day? Mix it up.'.

>Oh, and her shirt is dark green, so she looks like a forest
>ranger. I told her to keep Yogi Bear from those picinic
>baskets at lunch. She dio't find it as funny as I did

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10987 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 03:08 PM

18. "I can't pronounce picnic without adding the extra 'I'. Thanks H/B!"
In response to Reply # 17

Honestly I don't mind uniforms. I DO mind mandated logos, since you can't get them everywhere.

When my son was younger I'd make my annual trek to the 'hood and hit Children's Place or Rainbow at the mall and stock up, dealing with the locals and remembering why I'm glad I moved. Best thing about those excursions was getting a pound of snickerdoodles. That's the one thing I miss about the hood, that and decent carryouts

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Lobby General Discussion topic #13466938 Previous topic | Next topic