Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13466046

Subject: "Talkin' shop on a Monday" Previous topic | Next topic
spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talkin' shop on a Monday"

I missed out on a big to do at work becuase my counter part was gone and someone had to hold down the fort.

I'm not sure I care. Looking at the way I handled busy w/my co-worker gone makes me question whether or not we need her. AND how I can box her out and take all the $

lol

I'm a mess. Happy Monday, Y'all.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
getting ready to work from home again
Aug 08th 2022
God Bless you.
Aug 08th 2022
i gotta step up and start getting to work early
Aug 08th 2022
getting an early start really helps me.
Aug 08th 2022
mixed results so far
Aug 10th 2022
I took the day off.
Aug 08th 2022
Proper 'preciation of the present, poster!
Aug 08th 2022
Finally got our technical questions answered - after 3 months!
Aug 08th 2022
3 fucking months!?
Aug 09th 2022
My VS Oracle connection was broken for a full day and a half!
Aug 09th 2022
SOOOOO glad I am done with Oracle. (for now)
Aug 09th 2022
I like that we have dev ops, analysts and DBA's here. In most of my
Aug 09th 2022
Accurate
Aug 09th 2022
      Shocking how often the simple shit gets missed.
Aug 10th 2022
           yup, the basics make a huge difference.
Aug 10th 2022

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "getting ready to work from home again "
In response to Reply # 0

expanding the office so there will be construction.

wife probably isn’t going back to education this year.. well, she already secured a week long residency at a university in Ohio so she will be teaching but not in a HS..

my only issue is working out the healthcare and now I STILL won’t know what its like to work from home by my damn self.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

spades
44258 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 10:21 AM

2. "God Bless you."
In response to Reply # 1

Hybrid works best for me. I have too many distractions to make WFH work well for me.

But Hybrid is MY SHIT. I get my work done, and then monitor my emails for follow ups, questions, etc. while I check out and just enjoy the rest of my day.

I LOVE that shit. Honestly, I miss it. But having a regular schedule, being able to get up early, hit the gym, go to the office, do my work, go home, eat dinner, watch a little tv, go to bed in time to hit the gyme again....

That kind of routine is good for me.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 11:27 AM

3. "i gotta step up and start getting to work early"
In response to Reply # 0

i usually come in a couple minutes early but lately thats turning into almost 10 minutes late sometimes.

i think im going to set my alarm 15 minutes earlier but also try to actually get up when it goes off and not 15 - 30 minutes after lol

work has been mostly slow lately but a lot of potential projects keep popping up. when they hit it will be hectic.

spades
44258 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 05:09 PM

5. "getting an early start really helps me."
In response to Reply # 3

I sleep better, I'm more focused and I get more done.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Aug-10-22 03:09 PM

15. "mixed results so far"
In response to Reply # 3

ive gotten in on time but the sleep hasnt worked out great. couldnt sleep well monday night so i woke up tired and later than i wanted but still earlier than usual.

last night i went to bed late and felt it this morning. havent been too tired yet. i did make it on time.

ive been exploring moving an excel table to microsoft lists. i spent most of the morning cleaning up some cells that were empty or didnt match the exact wording. once i was done i hit exit grid view, nada. i ended up clicking home and uh yeah none of the data that i pasted remained. around 400 rows. probably way to much to try to enter at once but yeah not sure how else to go about it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I took the day off. "
In response to Reply # 0

took my son to his first day of school. had a lunch with a friend from college. got the latest booster.

that shit'll be there tomorrow lol.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

spades
44258 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 05:09 PM

6. "Proper 'preciation of the present, poster!"
In response to Reply # 4

Well done.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 05:18 PM

7. "Finally got our technical questions answered - after 3 months!"
In response to Reply # 0

Some projects have HUGE chunks of wasted time - this is one of them.

I have another project stuck in the same hell now too.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

spades
44258 posts
Tue Aug-09-22 12:41 PM

8. "3 fucking months!?"
In response to Reply # 7

for a question?

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Tue Aug-09-22 02:05 PM

9. "My VS Oracle connection was broken for a full day and a half!"
In response to Reply # 0

Turns out I had the wrong version of SSIS installed. We need an older version for the connector to work. This really should have been documented internally. I have it documented now, but damn I spent a whole day and a half trying to figure this out! Documentation is a problem every where I work.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

spades
44258 posts
Tue Aug-09-22 02:23 PM

10. "SOOOOO glad I am done with Oracle. (for now)"
In response to Reply # 9

Of all the ERPs I have worked with that is the one I hate the most.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Tue Aug-09-22 03:21 PM

12. "I like that we have dev ops, analysts and DBA's here. In most of my "
In response to Reply # 10

work experience that has all been lumped into one role - and one person filling that role. But man, these analyst straight up be coming to me like "the numbers are crazy" or "I have no placement data" and I am like "what does that mean!?!" I am not even trying to be sarcastic. I didn't write the code and "the numbers are crazy" is not phrase that translates to something I can troubleshoot in the database. Now when someone says "I am getting this invalid object error," that is something I can work with, but "the numbers are crazy" cannot be your serious response to me moving the ticket forward. I almost miss having all that shit on my shoulders because at least then I know what the numbers were supposed to look like or what placement data actually is - I knew the client side, I knew the db side, and I wrote the scripts back then.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Aug-09-22 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Accurate"
In response to Reply # 9

> Documentation is a problem every where

spades
44258 posts
Wed Aug-10-22 01:06 PM

13. "Shocking how often the simple shit gets missed."
In response to Reply # 11

All the coaches were right. Executing the fundamentals really is AT LEAST 75% of the battle.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Wed Aug-10-22 01:58 PM

14. "yup, the basics make a huge difference."
In response to Reply # 13

if documentation doesn't start from the beginning of whatever, the catch up is terrible. if it even happens. then it's whole thing to update and keep current.

add to that, that NO ONE like to create docs. the folks that would write it best, typically hate doing it.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13466046 Previous topic | Next topic