Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13461140

Subject: "any OkayParents affected by the "baby formula shortage"?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon May-23-22 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"any OkayParents affected by the "baby formula shortage"?"

like I don't understand, is it certain brands? Do we really have to emergency military shipments from Europe? Are all US baby formula companies just shot? Why?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
from what I heard Abbott closed a facility after 4 kids got sick
May 23rd 2022
This started being an issue back in like January/February
May 23rd 2022
RE: from what I heard Abbott closed a facility after 4 kids got sick
May 23rd 2022
I don’t know.. ask google
May 23rd 2022
No, no one can take up the slack qucikly
May 23rd 2022
AND Trump increased tariffs on imports from Canada
May 24th 2022

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Mon May-23-22 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "from what I heard Abbott closed a facility after 4 kids got sick"
In response to Reply # 0

and they supplied 20% of the product in the US

so the recall, plus supply chain issues with other companies made for the perfect storm.

or we can just blame Biden cause its America.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon May-23-22 02:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This started being an issue back in like January/February"
In response to Reply # 1

Formula was starting to be scarce back then.

The Biden admin is talking like something just triggered an emergency last week and they sprang quickly into action.

Just like with delivering covid masks and test kits, they are late.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon May-23-22 03:14 PM

3. "RE: from what I heard Abbott closed a facility after 4 kids got sick"
In response to Reply # 1

>and they supplied 20% of the product in the US
>
>so the recall, plus supply chain issues with other companies
>made for the perfect storm.
>
>or we can just blame Biden cause its America.

so who supplies the other 80%? They couldn't take up the slack? Is there a secret ingredient in baby formula that has to come from outside the US?

I'm asking these questions as an ignorant childless person just trying to understand and not revert to my usual conspiracy theories lol

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Mon May-23-22 03:29 PM

4. "I don’t know.. ask google"
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

handle
Charter member
18949 posts
Mon May-23-22 03:42 PM

5. "No, no one can take up the slack qucikly"
In response to Reply # 3

>so who supplies the other 80%? They couldn't take up the
>slack? Is there a secret ingredient in baby formula that has
>to come from outside the US?

All of these manufacturers are trying to stop 'waste' so they can only make what they plan and have very little flexibility to increase production - they see that as being inefficient.

It's all "just in time manufacturing" now. that's why there are so many shortages now. There is no redundancy in the system - investors don't like them to "waste" money on that.

The answer I hear from conservatives is "The nanny state stopping production for tainted formula is the reason this filed - should have left it up to the market. Let the consumer choose to feed there baby tainted formula and if they don't the bad business will go out of business and someone else will come into to fill the void. also stop regulating formula all together or let us recognize foreign certifications without adding our own oversight"

Think I'm talking shit??? https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-seizing-seizes-baby-formula-crisis-shortage-europe-abbott-nutrition-hipp-holle-kendamil-infant-producers-11653248212

TLDR: having any backup system is seen as wasteful. It's why Trump shut down the pandemic response unit - we hadn't had a pandemic in a while so it was jsut a waste of money.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue May-24-22 11:47 AM

6. "AND Trump increased tariffs on imports from Canada"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, and we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, is wasting our time on this Earth - C. Adichie

Lobby General Discussion topic #13461140 Previous topic | Next topic