Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13460939

Subject: "Black People: can we talk?" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35880 posts
Fri May-20-22 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black People: can we talk?"

dunno y'all..i'm really struggling today

i don't live my life in fear..i go do what i need to do

but i honestly was a lil shook at the supermarket the other day...that's so not like me so why is this Buffalo terrorist attack fukking with me?

they fuckking outright hunting us

yeah i know its lowkey always been that way but why does this feel different, even tho its not?

i don't have a point...i'm just fuccked up right now

anybody else that want to share their feelings in here can. or not.

its all good. love yall.

d

I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, and we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, is wasting our time on this Earth - C. Adichie

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Progress is an illusion for black folk that can be shattered by one sick...
May 20th 2022
i don't even like thinking of them as sick. they are quite sane and clea...
May 20th 2022
Unfortunately we have been under attack since the slave ships
May 20th 2022
i hear you. i feel like this too. imma still do my life
May 20th 2022
Here is the thing, social media is designed to make us feel awful.
May 20th 2022
RE: Here is the thing, social media is designed to make us feel awful.
May 20th 2022
thank you so much for all this.
May 20th 2022
RE: they fuckking outright hunting us
May 20th 2022
we need to arm ourselves and start rebuilding community
May 20th 2022
Building community consolidates us and makes us easier targets
May 21st 2022
      that is the exact opposite of logic, so nah.
Jun 02nd 2022
Venting- I want all their parents arrested for contributing
May 20th 2022
Understandable
May 21st 2022
RE: Understandable
May 21st 2022
Not wrong. Also why can’t we say it here
May 21st 2022
becuz
May 23rd 2022
This is very goofy thinking, considering our history in this country
May 24th 2022
agreed
May 21st 2022
unfortunately...
May 23rd 2022
it really f*cks with me
May 21st 2022
I got nothing
May 21st 2022
being ok with it is a form of PTSD
May 23rd 2022
thank you.
May 23rd 2022
Real talk. Something seriously wrong with ppl who are ok with
May 24th 2022
I think it feels different because it IS different.
May 24th 2022
I'm ok with it by this point in time.
May 24th 2022
I'm hurt, but would caution against turning hurt into darkness...
May 24th 2022
our honest thoughts and feelings in the face of trauma...
May 24th 2022
that footage
May 24th 2022
For what its worth I wrote this about 5 years ago
May 24th 2022
This is the shit that make me wanna pack it all up again and gtfo
May 24th 2022
i been to Canada five times in the last 6 months
May 27th 2022
      canada immediately banned 1500 different assault weapons
May 30th 2022
Hunting
Jun 01st 2022

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri May-20-22 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Progress is an illusion for black folk that can be shattered by one sick..."
In response to Reply # 0

And there are millions of them out there. For all that "allies" do to distance themselves from the atrocities they will never know the fear, pain, hurt and loss that is average capacity for black folk. There are so many voices out their championing on a multitude of progressive issues, but none of them mean shit without reconciliation of the historical memory of slavery that ripples throughout the nation.

I remember talking to my almost 90yo relative after Jan 6th. They protested the Klan. Like seriously that shit is fucked up. Now imagining grandparents in Buffalo that lived through the height of the Klan getting murdered by that fucker. It is not just sobering and depressing, it is a threat to our future. That's the scary shit.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Damali
35880 posts
Fri May-20-22 10:58 AM

4. "i don't even like thinking of them as sick. they are quite sane and clea..."
In response to Reply # 1

>And there are millions of them out there. For all that
>"allies" do to distance themselves from the atrocities they
>will never know the fear, pain, hurt and loss that is average
>capacity for black folk. There are so many voices out their
>championing on a multitude of progressive issues, but none of
>them mean shit without reconciliation of the historical memory
>of slavery that ripples throughout the nation.

very well said. yes

Now imagining grandparents in Buffalo that lived through
>the height of the Klan getting murdered by that fucker. It is
>not just sobering and depressing, it is a threat to our
>future. That's the scary shit.

yeah thanks for articulating that cuz this might be what's really under my skin..that they were all (expect 1) 50 and over..6 out of 10 were 60+...these elders survived so much..including COVID!!!! only to be snuffed out in this way...

d

>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." � Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, and we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, is wasting our time on this Earth - C. Adichie

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79861 posts
Fri May-20-22 10:38 AM

2. "Unfortunately we have been under attack since the slave ships"
In response to Reply # 0

and I can’t front.

There are times when I think about my kids being in school or of these noise canceling headphones put me at greater risk in a store

but I can only control what I can control and they want us to be shook and scared of them and I can’t let them take that away from me.

fuck them cowards.

we are too strong.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Damali
35880 posts
Fri May-20-22 11:00 AM

5. "i hear you. i feel like this too. imma still do my life"
In response to Reply # 2

at the same time, Black folk are both strong and weak

we're vulnerable. collectively. for whatever reason...that's real as fuck.

d

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49525 posts
Fri May-20-22 10:52 AM

3. "Here is the thing, social media is designed to make us feel awful. "
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know why I spend so much time on twitter because all it does it leaves me pissed off. Either at terrible news or people saying assinine things. I've had made more of an effort to prune folks who aren't sharing real information and expertise but its hard to avoid constant hysteria about everything. Like the most authoritative thing I read about Monkey Pox says its not a real threat but 90% of what's generated on social media news sources are designed to scare people to get more clicks.

With Buffalo, I want to read one long form article about what happened, the victims and the killer (and his parents) and that's it. I could easily spend all day going down the rabbit hole of reading tweets thought pieces about it but I wouldn't necessarily gang extra information I would just get more fucked out about it.

I got into an argument on a whatsapp chat because someone shared the video of the shooting and I was like why? Dude thought everyone need to see it. I pointed out that's exactly what the killer wanted, for everyone to see it and kick off a race war. No good comes from watching that video. But for my man, sharing the video felt like doing something. Felt like being more engage. I think its not.

That very same whatsapp group started off with just some homeys mainly talking about sports, bk going ons and hip-hop and has turned into sharing terrible news stories 50 times a day. I have to log off because ain't really my place to say stop sharing terrible news.

I was legit going to make the post today with the thesis is the world can't be as bad as the media makes it out to be. We are witnessing the effects of the outrage machine that our current internet is. We lived through the 80s. I can't think of a metric collectively we aren't better off then we were then.

I say that not to minimize the bad news in the world or how anyone feels, but I want folks to recognize that there is a larger cultural phenomenon that is built on us feeling in a constant state of franticness. Its a business model that makes FB and Twitter billions. And now its seep into our social lives and world views.

I am on another chat, a dad chat, and I clown it because its a bit corny and a lot of LLC type brothers but at the very least it is extremely positive. Cats are always encouraging each other and sharing and celebrating each others good news. There are arguments but because everyone knows each other it never gets crazy or disrespectful. I imagine its how Facebook was supposed to be or could have been.

Anyway, all that to say as a matter of self-care we need to monitor how much we expose ourselves to a system designed to make us feel terrible. Also to say its important to surround ourselves with positivity and supportiveness.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17859 posts
Fri May-20-22 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: Here is the thing, social media is designed to make us feel awful. "
In response to Reply # 3

technology is another tool for the white supremacists.

a well-oiled machine that is working just as it was meant to.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Damali
35880 posts
Fri May-20-22 12:58 PM

9. "thank you so much for all this. "
In response to Reply # 3

you're right.

i gotta re-adjust how i'm interacting w/these spaces.

the only thing i'd disagree on is that we're collectively better off...we'd have to talk about those metrics some other time lol

d

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17859 posts
Fri May-20-22 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: they fuckking outright hunting us"
In response to Reply # 0

we are indeed at war.

the sooner we realize which sides represent what, we'll be better off.

dr. welsing was right, and neely fuller, jr. BEEN laid out the plan.

10 stops.

http://www.endarkenment.com/endarken/thecode/conduct/10-stops.htm

this shit ends over night.

the challenge is how deep shit has gotten. that's why it feels different. racists have all the resources in the world to maintain status quo, and have done so. racism has gone through stages of invention, establishment, recruitment, and now refinement, where calling out racist behavior/acts is now deemed racism. context and reasoning mean nothing to these discussions anymore. it's crazy.

majority black folks find it way easier to argue amongst each other, meanwhile the white supremacists sit back and laugh.

racism should be regarded and treated as a mental illness. but, we can't expect those who benefit from it to change. especially when we're getting further and further from acknowledging what it is.

these mofos are fighting ultimately for SURVIVAL, and we were always meant to be the burden bearers.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri May-20-22 11:15 AM

8. "we need to arm ourselves and start rebuilding community"
In response to Reply # 0

America, domestically, is on an intense downward spiral, and it's only going to get worse.
As the outgroup of the society, we've spent the last 40 years chasing truly useless political ideology while materially everything has gotten much worse, and we've gotten way more vulnerable.

What we need to be aware of is just how cavalier and desensitized American institutions and white folks are becoming to these massacres of Black folks.
That does NOT bode well for the future at all.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22275 posts
Sat May-21-22 02:15 PM

17. "Building community consolidates us and makes us easier targets"
In response to Reply # 8

We can build digital collectives, but strength in numbers don't mean shit to a single AR

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Thu Jun-02-22 09:22 AM

34. "that is the exact opposite of logic, so nah."
In response to Reply # 17

rdhull
Charter member
33147 posts
Fri May-20-22 10:05 PM

10. "Venting- I want all their parents arrested for contributing"
In response to Reply # 0

And I judge the fuck out of so called allies who say they still have extended fam who are Trumpers etc. I judge them for not completely disowning these family members regardless of relation.

There's more Id love to say but I dont want to get reported.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sat May-21-22 07:30 AM

11. "Understandable "
In response to Reply # 0

The solutions can't be discussed in a public forum but...violence is the answer.

A certain demo isn't nearly afraid enough

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat May-21-22 09:26 AM

12. "RE: Understandable "
In response to Reply # 11

>The solutions can't be discussed in a public forum
>but...violence is the answer.
>
>A certain demo isn't nearly afraid enough

They are that’s why they attack elderly people in churches and grocery stores

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85117 posts
Sat May-21-22 10:44 AM

13. "Not wrong. Also why can’t we say it here "

Ppl ain’t watching OKP like that. And them white radicals say it in the open on their shit

<--- Big Baller World Order

Damali
35880 posts
Mon May-23-22 11:27 AM

20. "becuz"
In response to Reply # 13

>Ppl ain’t watching OKP like that.

there's okp ops that can see this..also never take for granted that we're not being watched/monitored

And them white radicals
>say it in the open on their shit

they have the privilege and protection to do so. we don't.

cops and law enforcement exist to protect them from us..not the other way around.

d

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14096 posts
Tue May-24-22 04:27 PM

28. "This is very goofy thinking, considering our history in this country"
In response to Reply # 13

but that's exactly what I mean when I say people would rather speculate and make stuff up than deal with the evidence. As a Black person online, and especially in a place where many Black people potentially congregate on OR offline, you should always assume "they" are watching you. It's just the smart thing to do. Whether you aim to fight, plan or strategize, do not be dumb or naive about it.

>And them white radicals say it in the open on their shit

And torturing them or being indifferent to their suffering has never been the American way of life. Such an attitude toward Black people is the foundation of America, still. If you had a manifesto about offing white folks on Reddit, the feds would be at your door. Do not be naive.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10125 posts
Sat May-21-22 11:30 AM

15. "agreed"
Sat May-21-22 11:32 AM by Crash Bandacoot

>

Damali
35880 posts
Mon May-23-22 11:25 AM

19. "unfortunately..."

>The solutions can't be discussed in a public forum
>but...violence is the answer.

...i agree with this. and it can't be discussed further anywhere online.

>A certain demo isn't nearly afraid enough
>

100%

d

Crash Bandacoot
10125 posts
Sat May-21-22 11:25 AM

14. "it really f*cks with me"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-21-22 11:35 AM by Crash Bandacoot

they were innocent people minding their business, gunned down because
they were black by a white teenager with nigger scribbled on his gun.
too much hate to be so young, and the reason apparently was because
blacks are taking over? everywhere that i go, it's gentrified.
delusional reality.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22275 posts
Sat May-21-22 02:14 PM

16. "I got nothing"
In response to Reply # 0

2016 I got a Glock
January 6th I got a rifle
I know what I need to do to protect home, but for us, out in the wild ... I got nothing
I'm fighting via attrition, got our passports, shedding down assets, making sure we're flexible.
But if OUR (the collective us) response, is to pray and appeal to better angels, we're fucked.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

nativesun07
Member since Mar 28th 2004
3624 posts
Mon May-23-22 09:34 AM

18. "being ok with it is a form of PTSD"
In response to Reply # 0

Youre just having a human experience and peaking your spirit out of the water to realize YOU REALLY ARE BEING HUNTED. You know it everyday but sometimes the reality of it can sneak up like a white ninja

I should put that in a song

@nategoodness
www.nategoodness.com

The avatar is old. And, no, that hat was not a groovy style back then, either.

Damali
35880 posts
Mon May-23-22 11:28 AM

21. "thank you."
In response to Reply # 18

Boogie Stimuli
14096 posts
Tue May-24-22 04:56 AM

22. "Real talk. Something seriously wrong with ppl who are ok with"
In response to Reply # 18

our current predicament.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14096 posts
Tue May-24-22 05:17 AM

23. "I think it feels different because it IS different."
In response to Reply # 0

>they fuckking outright hunting us
>
>yeah i know its lowkey always been that way but why does this
>feel different, even tho its not?

We've never been this far from slavery and Jim Crow, so every second it's different in that regard. Furthermore, we've seen pockets of what we thought was progress. Civil Rights Movement in the 60s, we swore we were making progress. Again in the 80 and early 90s, I remember all the public conversations being had even on daytime tv, folks thought we were "having the conversation" and moving things foward. At the end of slavery in the 1800s, we thought great things were coming. But here we are in 2022, still dealing with public execution with not even an anti-hate protection bill passed while Asians and Jews have gotten protections.

The main way this is different imo is the refinement of it all. They used to wear hoods and burn a cross in your yard. Now they've had the first "black" president, created a bunch of singular Black millionaires in entertainment etc, so society is convinced Black people just fail ourselves. In so many ways, they destroy us in plain sight, and it's never been this systematic/systemic. It's just on complete autopilot, so much that Black people THEMSELVES don't even realize it's happening... like slowly boiling a frog. Black people have both been lulled to sleep and duped into participating in their own demise. It's taken the white collective over a century to master this particular system. That's what's new imo. Not the racism itself but the way it's been streamlined at this point.

My thoughts/feelings? Yall know me. I'm not surprised. Been saying it was coming to this for years if Black folks didn't wake up FAST. I'm not built to be silent, but I don't expect my words to resonate now. The sleep is too deep for most Black people and they do not want to wake up. It's frustrating honestly. After putting so much of my life on hold to research, study, dig and understand it all, the hardest part is that negros would rather speculate than deal with empirical evidence. They've done a helluva job on us. It's going to get worse.

~
~
~
~
~

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28859 posts
Tue May-24-22 09:07 AM

24. "I'm ok with it by this point in time."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm ok with it because the only logical action is reciprocity. People have an obligation to protect themselves.

They look for, their words, soft targets like women and elderly. The response from government pisses me off. They're pivoting to other issues instead of thoroughly punishing those involved. What do we have to do to get the same protected status as the lgbt and asian communities? Can we get a task force and hotline for hate crimes like the asian community?

Been training for a while now, getting ready as best I can because ultimately this is a war. While I'm typing on here they're preparing to commit acts of state sanctioned terrorism. Should these incidents continue to happen a revolt of some kind will happen and no amount of allyship, fake promises, and hashtags will stop it. Until then don't hope, don't pray, get ready. I won't revolt physically because that's stupid. It's other ways to kill this beast.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1824 posts
Tue May-24-22 10:37 AM

25. "I'm hurt, but would caution against turning hurt into darkness..."
In response to Reply # 0

and cynicism. I'm from Buffalo, I shopped at that Tops, my family shops at that Tops, a member of my church was killed in the terrorist attack on that Tops.

Some of what I hear though is unhelpful and in some cases possibly dangerous. There's talk of being at war, there's talk of no progress since slavery. Talk that we should all take up arms and that there are no protections against hate crime etc. I am not in agreement with these ideas.

Black people have problems in this country. No doubt. These problems are systemic and have persisted for too long. However, the idea that we have not progressed since slavery, or since jim crow or even since the civil rights era is not just wrong; it is dangerous. That idea gives rise to the ideology that nothing matters because progress is impossible. I would suggest those who espouse that idea should rethink their position.

As much as this most recent attack hurts me (this person basically looked up my zip code to try to kill people who look like me) It does fall quite neatly into the pattern of rampant guns and extremism in this country.

I feel like people forget that a gunman killed a classroom full of children. A gunman killed several Asian people at a spa. A man walked into a synagogue and shot several people.

A man walked into a mosque in New Zealand and shot up a bunch of people.

Most countries get a taste of this and they go to a simple answer, regulate guns. Mass shootings also don't seem to be such a staple in other countries. I do not think it is because in other countries all races live in perfect harmony.

In America it seems we always want to find a way to fix the problem with more guns. It doesn't seem like that is working.

Sorry for the rant.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Damali
35880 posts
Tue May-24-22 11:41 AM

27. "our honest thoughts and feelings in the face of trauma..."
In response to Reply # 25
Tue May-24-22 11:43 AM by Damali

... don't need to be 'helpful'.

we are allowed to take time to just feel...and process. and work towards what's helpful in our own ways, as survivors.

and rants are always ok, as well.

d

Crash Bandacoot
10125 posts
Tue May-24-22 11:24 AM

26. "that footage"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-24-22 11:33 AM by Crash Bandacoot

of people in absolute hysteria while it was being casually handcuffed

wore a full hazmat suit to school and sat down in a classroom

and lived

it's all you need to know really

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49525 posts
Tue May-24-22 06:26 PM

29. "For what its worth I wrote this about 5 years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually find perusing old posts more interesting than what may be going on on the front page these days and I found this today:

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13111463&mesg_id=13111463&listing_type=search

And I read it and I was like, "wow, I was in a dark place". It's strange to read now because I don't feel like that at all right now. Not even a little bit. I remember what was going on with me and yeah it wasn't a good place but now I am on the other side of it and it feels good to have survived it all. I feel stronger and wiser for the experience.

All that to say, this feeling won't necessarily last forever.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Tue May-24-22 08:42 PM

30. "This is the shit that make me wanna pack it all up again and gtfo"
In response to Reply # 0

The sense of ease I felt out of the 'states' I can't even convey it. It's just different outside.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Damali
35880 posts
Fri May-27-22 08:51 AM

31. "i been to Canada five times in the last 6 months"
In response to Reply # 30

and let me tell you 1 break out into a literal joyful cheese grin every time the border officer waves me through...by this point they know me and my car lol

the feeling i feel as i'm driving on those roads is indescribable

d

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon May-30-22 08:23 AM

32. "canada immediately banned 1500 different assault weapons "
In response to Reply # 31

in the aftermath of a mass shooting there 2 years ago.

its hard not to get jealous of countries who still operate according to the needs/health/safety of the citizens.

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Wed Jun-01-22 07:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "Hunting"
In response to Reply # 0

Excellent word usage

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

Lobby General Discussion topic #13460939 Previous topic | Next topic