Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13460714

Subject: "** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Wed May-18-22 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **"

nm

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Im so glad I didn’t marry white
May 18th 2022
I couldn’t do it even if I wanted to.
May 18th 2022
agree.
May 19th 2022
Does anyone else ever feel themselves maturing or changing?
May 18th 2022
I quit a job on April 25th and as of just now I have two new job offers!
May 18th 2022
Isn't it nice to be between jobs when you know you have a new one
May 18th 2022
      Yeah :-)
May 18th 2022
I matured a lot during the lockdown.
May 18th 2022
Uhh, how long I got to wait before I can live my life normal again?
May 18th 2022
Surprisingly good article from CNN
May 18th 2022
      Dr Wen is awful
May 18th 2022
           Soooo, you are saying day 10?
May 18th 2022
           you mentioned ol dude too many times for me to put any stock
May 18th 2022
Don’t know if I’m ever going to be allowed back into our bedroom.
May 18th 2022
I mean, my household is fully vaxed and this variant is just a hassle
May 18th 2022
nigga said mashed turnips..
May 19th 2022
      lol…Pssht, we southerners…that’s how we get down.
May 19th 2022

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed May-18-22 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Im so glad I didn’t marry white"
In response to Reply # 0

When I was in Texas I dated any and everyone. And then I moved to DC and there were just sooooooo many Black women that I didn’t have to be that open.

But the direction that White America has gone in the last 12 years versus literally everyone else, I’m grateful to not have that conflict that I feel with white people on the whole (not all just most) versus having an intimate interpersonal relationship that I’d consistently have to disconnect the dots. And that’s not even to mention dealing with extended family.

This is all spurred by a jumble of thought like;
-getting into a conversation with a woman with a wife yesterday who has a mixed race baby, me telling her that I’d rather be in DC than here just to be around Blackness
-Black communities being targeted for mass murders
-polite white society saying “its about the guns”
-and then also a running conversation about gentrification and a kind version of ethnic cleansing
Among other things that all boil down to

Im so glad that theres a space that I’ve cultivated to be away from yall/them/not us because collectively, on the whole, overall … there’s some issues that I don’t need to be close to.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed May-18-22 03:13 PM

2. "I couldn’t do it even if I wanted to. "
In response to Reply # 1

Hell, I think I told a story about my asian shorty iin college and how she was on point and we had so much in common.. but I just couldn’t do it. Something was missing. I never felt 100% with anyone but Black women even tho I had some cool ass experiences.

Funny story in HS I was messing with one and it was time for prom. She went through all this trouble fighting with her mom so she could go to the prom with me.

me: “yeaaah, that aint happening. I cant be taking prom pictures and shit. My momma only let yall on the porch anyway.. so I mean, we can still kick it but I cant go to prom with you.

her: OMG, I can’t believe this.. after all I went thru to be with you

me: ikr? shit is crazy… but you know, I just can’t see myself going to prom with a WG

her: fuck you

and I remember a convo on here where a Black woman said it felt good to come home and not have to hear her partner talk about his grind at work or racism because he was white. Which seems odd because these white dudes can be mad insufferable when it comes to racism and being the victim.

I guess I imagine its like Bill Burr when he talks about his wife and anytime they have a discussion on race. Eventually the white person is going to say something that makes you go “wait.. come again?”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu May-19-22 10:28 AM

15. "agree. "
In response to Reply # 1

I dated the rainbow and a lot of white women.

I reached a point where I realized..."Lindsey is cool but could I handle being around Lindsey's people 24/7,365? I don't have the energy to laugh off every microaggression, eventually, I'm going to have to put paws on Uncle Robert"

A friend went through some shit recently. His wife's family could not get why he was so upset that he passed an event where confederate flags were flying while he was out with his son. They knew it was wrong, they knew he was upset, but they couldn't see why it was such a big deal.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Wed May-18-22 03:38 PM

3. "Does anyone else ever feel themselves maturing or changing? "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-18-22 03:54 PM by SuiteLady

I do feel my self growing this year.

Unrelated: I have been binge watching reality tv like crazy since I quit my job. I had stopped watching RHOA in Porsha’s first season. Binge watching that now - on S4 at the moment. I like Nene more watching it this time. She still isn't someone I like watching. I do love watching Kandi! This re-watch made me want to watch the Xscape mini series.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed May-18-22 04:36 PM

5. "I quit a job on April 25th and as of just now I have two new job offers!"
In response to Reply # 3

I had said in another CW that my birthday is at the end of May and I had always wanted to take the entire month of May off but never had enough PTO saved up. That desire had something to do with the timing of my quit. One of the job offers is proposing a June 6th start date and the other is proposing June 13th and with that ... I got what I wanted.

HappyHappyJoyJoy,HappyHappyJoyJoy!

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Wed May-18-22 04:50 PM

6. "Isn't it nice to be between jobs when you know you have a new one "
In response to Reply # 5

waiting?

Haven't had that since December 2008 but it was nice.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed May-18-22 06:44 PM

11. "Yeah :-)"
In response to Reply # 6

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Wed May-18-22 06:39 PM

10. "I matured a lot during the lockdown. "
In response to Reply # 3

It was such a disruption to my lifestyle and habits but in a good way.

My desire to hang out was 10 times more. I haven't gotten that desire back.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Wed May-18-22 04:24 PM

4. "Uhh, how long I got to wait before I can live my life normal again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tested positive last wednesday. Since Saturday my rapid covid test are just faint lines. CDC guidelines say 10 days from first symptoms?? Or do I have to wait until I test negative?

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed May-18-22 05:26 PM

7. "Surprisingly good article from CNN"
In response to Reply # 4

The strategy I got for this (and other places is) you absolutely contagious for at least 5 days from onset of symptoms or positive test so isolate as completely as you can - then mask everywhere until day 10 assuming your symptoms are improving and you have no fever. After day 10 you can unmask.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/health/coronavirus-omicron-masking-vaccines-wellness/index.html

(CNN)Covid-19 infections are on the rise, with most US states reporting an increase in cases. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the highly contagious BA.2.1.21 subvariant of Omicron is now the dominant strain of coronavirus nationwide.

Two years into the pandemic, many aren't sure what to do after testing positive for Covid-19. Should they isolate, and if so, for how long? How important is it to see a doctor? What therapies are available, and who is eligible?

To help answer these and other questions, I spoke with CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health. She is also author of "Lifelines: A Doctor's Journey in the Fight for Public Health" and the mother of two young children.

CNN: It seems like a lot of people are getting diagnosed with Covid-19 right now. I have friends who have been very careful throughout the pandemic who are now testing positive. Why is that?

Dr. Leana Wen: First and most importantly, we are dealing with an extremely contagious subvariant. The original Omicron variant was already more contagious than Delta and previous variants. Then, we had BA.2, a subvariant of Omicron that was more contagious than Omicron, and now we have an offshoot of BA.2, called BA.2.1.21, that appears to be even more transmissible.

A more transmissible variant means that the activities we thought were relatively safe before are now higher risk. This doesn't mean that we should avoid all activities, but rather that people who have been very careful before may be getting infected now because of how contagious this subvariant is. Also, people previously infected with Omicron have some degree of protection against this new subvariant; those not previously infected are now more susceptible. Fortunately, it does not appear that this variant causes more severe disease in most people, and the vaccine and first booster still provide good protection against hospitalization and death for those who are infected.

Another reason for the increased number of infections is that people are engaging with one another more, including indoors and without masks. Any time such interactions occur, there is risk of transmission. Again, this is not to say that people should never associate with one another, but rather, to be aware of the risk and to take precautions, especially for those with immunocompromise and others at higher risk for severe disease.
CNN: If someone gets diagnosed with Covid-19, what should they do? Is isolation still recommended?

Wen: Yes, it is, and in fact, that is the first thing that I recommend for people to do if they test positive for Covid-19. Whether they performed their own home test and have a positive result or received a positive result back from a PCR test, they should immediately isolate. If they are at home, go to a room away from others. If they are at work, put on an N95 mask to transit through public areas and head home, ideally in your own vehicle.

Isolation isn't always easy, especially for those with young children and who live in multigenerational housing. If possible, identify another adult to care for young kids so that the infected person can isolate by themselves. If a child is the one who tested positive, assign one adult to care for that child. (We discussed more about the challenges of isolation with young children in this previous Q&A.)

CNN: How long should people isolate?

Wen: The day that you take your positive test is day zero. If you had symptoms before then, say the day before, that day is day zero—whichever is first. Day 1 is 24 hours after the positive test or appearance of symptoms. You need to be isolated from others for five days. That means not being in the same room at home with people you live with and not going to work in person. If you have to share, say, a bathroom, make sure to wear a well-fitting N95, KN95 or KF94 while in these common areas, minimize your time in them, and open the windows as much as possible.

The CDC says that after the fifth day of isolation, if you have no fever and your symptoms are improving, you can go into public spaces like grocery stores and to work and school, as long as you wear a well-fitting mask the entire time. A lot of workplaces and schools have their own policies that are more stringent than this and may require, for example, a full 10 days before you return.

In addition, I want to caution that the CDC is not saying that after day 5, you can freely associate with your family and people in your home. You could still be contagious. The CDC says that you should still be masking around others for days 6 through 10. That includes not dining with people you live with, indoors, during those days.

Many public health experts, including me, would recommend testing out of isolation as an additional level of precaution that also reduces inconvenience. This is not what the CDC says, but I think it's reasonable to start testing with a home rapid test from day 5. If you test negative on day 5 and day 6, and you have no fever and improved symptoms, then you could exit isolation. That would make for a less onerous isolation period, especially for families who live in small spaces or have young children to care for.

A worker prepares one of the new government-issued Covid-19 Antigen Rapid test kits she received to take a self-test while at home on February 8 in Provo, Utah.
A worker prepares one of the new government-issued Covid-19 Antigen Rapid test kits she received to take a self-test while at home on February 8 in Provo, Utah.

CNN: What therapies should people take? Should everyone get them?

Wen: It's important you call your medical provider and ask if you are eligible for therapeutics. I would call regardless of whether you have mild, severe or no symptoms, because you should know what your options are. There are three main types of therapies, all of which are meant to be taken before someone becomes severely ill, in order to prevent hospitalization. Generally, the sooner you start on the therapies, the more effective they are.

The three options are antiviral pills (paxlovid and molnupiravir are the two antivirals that have been granted authorization), monoclonal antibodies, and remdesivir. The pills are taken orally, while the other two require injections or infusions. They are meant for people who are at higher risk for progression to severe disease. Some of the therapies may not be easily available in your area. Others might have interactions with other medications or treatments you are on.

I highly recommend that people speak with their medical providers in advance of getting ill so that they have a plan. Someone who is in their 20s and healthy is probably not eligible for these therapies, but someone else who is in their 60s with some chronic medical conditions will be. Know in advance what you'd get if you test positive and how you would access the therapies, including after hours and on weekends. If you don't already have this plan, call your provider immediately after you test positive and discuss the options.

For people who don't have a regular medical provider, the federal government has a therapeutics locator, including a "test-to-treat" option where people can go to get tested, see an urgent care provider, and get the therapies all at the same location. Your local and state health departments will likely have additional information and resources, too.
CNN: How do you address skeptics who might ask what's the point of getting vaccinated if vaccinated people can still become infected?

Wen: Let's talk about the primary purpose of vaccination. The most important reason is reduce the likelihood of severe disease and to keep infected people from being hospitalized and dying. That's why it's so important to be up-to-date with vaccines, to get the initial vaccines and then the boosters, because people who are vaccinated and boosted are much less likely to become severely ill and to die compared with people who are unvaccinated.
Vaccination also reduces the chance of infection, but that risk still exists. For people who want to further reduce their risk of contracting Covid-19, other precautions remain important, including wearing an N95 or equivalent mask while in indoor public settings, and same-day testing before gatherings, especially if community Covid-19 levels are high.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Wed May-18-22 05:56 PM

8. "Dr Wen is awful"
In response to Reply # 7

And if the previous admin told us all to go back to work after 5 days no one here would be defending it.

"The CDC says that after the fifth day of isolation, if you have no fever and your symptoms are improving, you can go into public spaces like grocery stores and TO WORK and school, as long as you wear a well-fitting mask the entire time. A lot of workplaces and schools have their own policies that are more stringent than this and may require, for example, a full 10 days before you return.

In addition, I want to caution that the CDC is not saying that after day 5, you can freely associate with your family and people in your home. You could still be contagious. The CDC says that you should still be masking around others for days 6 through 10. That includes not dining with people you live with, indoors, during those days."

Imagine saying all this...while cases are on the rise (and drastically undercounted!!!)...in the same interview you talked about how contagious the variant is.

This admin moving toward "personal responsibility/individual risk/minimizing inconvenience/etc" will be a historic failure, assuming we will be allowed to study history in the future.

Telling people mask off...reducing isolation period based on feels...vaccines are about to be rationed...test-to-treat is a fucking lie....vaccines are waning...kids under 5 still not protected...more and more vaccinated COVID deaths...no new treatments...funding gone....as far as I know better vaccines aren't being worked on in a "Warp speed" type of way

FOH with Dr Wen and that whole group.

If this shit was happening under Trump folks would be livid.

Putting all their cards in the vaccines is not working and will continue to work less and less. Especially with these waning vaccines.

Then they come through and make it even worse by telling people to get their sick asses back to work.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Wed May-18-22 06:37 PM

9. "Soooo, you are saying day 10?"
In response to Reply # 8

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed May-18-22 06:48 PM

12. "you mentioned ol dude too many times for me to put any stock"
In response to Reply # 8

In whatever it is you trying to say…..

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed May-18-22 07:01 PM

13. "Don’t know if I’m ever going to be allowed back into our bedroom. "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-18-22 07:04 PM by FLUIDJ

Been sleeping in the office/guest room since Friday…..
Can’t even touch a surface in the crib without getting this look of disgust and a whirlwind of Lysol wipes hurriedly wiping down any surface I may have even lightly brushed against…

You’d think I’d gotten caught with the nastiest of street hookers!!! All I did wrong was catch fckin COVID!!

I cooked dinner and everything tonight…baked chicken, rutabaga fries, mashed turnips, Mac and cheese, arugula salad..masked up; naturally of course…..

Do I even get a “Thanks for that…”??? Nope…

I come back in from taking out the trash and the whole downstairs smell like disinfectant…
WTF?! ….I DON’T EVEN WASH MY MEATS!!
so that kinda stung..

Here I sit… on the toilet in the bathroom “That’s mine now”….typing on fckin OKP…. Like a fuckin chump….

I can’t even be on trend with pandemics and shit…. Getting COVID after the wave …. Just like a washed old dude jumping on the new fit two seasons after it’s already played out…..smh.

i don’t know if I’m ever going to be allowed back into our bedroom…

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Wed May-18-22 07:51 PM

14. "I mean, my household is fully vaxed and this variant is just a hassle"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed May-18-22 08:01 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

more than anything else.

The big fear is my kids get it and then they got to miss school.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Thu May-19-22 10:39 AM

16. "nigga said mashed turnips.. "
In response to Reply # 13

that alone is enough to cut you off from the fam

get well soon my sick niggas.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu May-19-22 12:20 PM

17. "lol…Pssht, we southerners…that’s how we get down. "
In response to Reply # 16

Lobby General Discussion topic #13460714 Previous topic | Next topic