Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13460148

Subject: "Lincoln College (HBCU) is closing its doors due to covid and..." Previous topic | Next topic
mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10137 posts
Tue May-10-22 12:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lincoln College (HBCU) is closing its doors due to covid and..."

cyber attacks. We cant afford to lose any of our institutions...i wish these black mega millionaires/billionaires would come together and give some of these smaller schools a boost...Hampton, Howard, Morehouse, Central and A&T arent the ones who need it. This school has been around for 150 years smh.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/us/lincoln-college-shutting-down-ransomware-attack/index.html

After more than 150 years, Lincoln College in central Illinois is closing its doors after significant challenges from Covid-19 and complications stemming from a recent cyberattack.

The college is a predominantly Black institution, as designated by the U.S. Department of Education, and according to the Lincoln Heritage Museum, was the only college named for Abraham Lincoln while he was still living. It opened in 1865.

“Lincoln College has survived many difficult and challenging times – the economic crisis of 1887, a major campus fire in 1912, the Spanish flu of 1918, the Great Depression, World War II, the 2008 global financial crisis, and more, but this is different,” part of a statement posted to Lincoln College’s website read.

“The economic burdens initiated by the pandemic required large investments in technology and campus safety measures, as well as a significant drop in enrollment with students choosing to postpone college or take a leave of absence, which impacted the institution’s financial position,” the statement continued.

But it also singled out a cyberattack in December 2021 that “thwarted admissions activities and hindered access to all institutional data, creating an unclear picture of Fall 2022 enrollment projections. All systems required for recruitment, retention, and fundraising efforts were inoperable.”

As of summer 2021, Lincoln College had roughly 1,200 students.

Additionally, according to the statement, when the systems were restored in March 2022, there were “significant enrollment shortfalls, requiring a transformational donation or partnership to sustain Lincoln College beyond the current semester,” and, “Unfortunately, these efforts did not create long-term viability for Lincoln College in the face of the pandemic.”

Cybercriminals have shown little restraint in locking up the computer systems of schools and universities across the US amid a shift to remote learning during the coronavirus pandemic. Ransomware affected 62 school districts and the campuses of 26 colleges and universities in 2021, according to cybersecurity firm Emsisoft. All told, ransomware incidents disrupted learning at more than 1,000 schools in the US in 2021, the firm said.

“Ransomware is a multi-million-dollar problem for the education sector, but its impact is more than financial,” Brett Callow, a threat analyst at Emsisoft, told CNN. “Attacks also disrupt kids’ educations and cause personal information relating to both students and teachers to leak online.”

Lincoln College held its final graduation ceremony Saturday and will officially close its doors on Friday.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Is this story accurate?
May 10th 2022
found this
May 10th 2022
its not an HBCU
May 10th 2022
not really an hbcu.
May 10th 2022
      Gotcha...if its an institution thats predominately black its still a
May 10th 2022
           true.
May 10th 2022
                most def. i work in IT at a black school and we are making major
May 10th 2022
                     make backups of your backups.. and then make backups of your backups
May 10th 2022
                          definitely.
May 10th 2022
                          and this is why you have to have *Immutable* backups
May 12th 2022
                          pretty much. people hate dual authentication but im good with it
May 10th 2022
What happened to rich people wanting to start schools??!?
May 10th 2022
I try not to pocket watch…
May 10th 2022
none of our schools should be struggling...the money it would take
May 10th 2022
right or a good weekend in Vegas
May 10th 2022
until there is a way to get a nice ROI on that investment it aint happen...
May 11th 2022
RE: until there is a way to get a nice ROI on that investment it aint ha...
May 11th 2022
They could but its on the school too.
May 11th 2022
      me and my ace have built on this topic many times...
May 11th 2022
      OUCH! Sorry to hear that.
May 12th 2022
I don't know how they'd get money year after year.
May 13th 2022

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue May-10-22 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Is this story accurate?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lincoln Universities in MO and PA are HBCU's I've never even heard of Lincoln College mentioned as an HBCU and I'm from IL

mikediggz
10137 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:01 PM

2. "found this"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue May-10-22 02:06 PM by mikediggz

https://lincolncollege.edu/

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:10 PM

4. "its not an HBCU"
In response to Reply # 2

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "not really an hbcu."
In response to Reply # 1

it's considered a pbi, predominately black institution, which means at least 40% of the student body is black.

it's a weird designation.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

mikediggz
10137 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:18 PM

5. "Gotcha...if its an institution thats predominately black its still a "
In response to Reply # 3
Tue May-10-22 02:18 PM by mikediggz

shame to see it go like that.

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "true."
In response to Reply # 5

sadly, I suspect more places will be taken under because of cyber threats. this shit cray and most places don't have real cyber personnel or the money to fend folks off.

mikediggz
10137 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:31 PM

7. "most def. i work in IT at a black school and we are making major "
In response to Reply # 6

efforts to make strides in areas of cyber security...some of the smaller schools are probably scrambling to get up to speed

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79558 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:34 PM

8. "make backups of your backups.. and then make backups of your backups"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:53 PM

9. "definitely."
In response to Reply # 8

but some of this shit will even fuck up the back ups before you know anything's wrong.

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Thu May-12-22 03:45 AM

19. "and this is why you have to have *Immutable* backups"
In response to Reply # 9

>but some of this shit will even fuck up the back ups before
>you know anything's wrong.

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

mikediggz
10137 posts
Tue May-10-22 02:53 PM

10. "pretty much. people hate dual authentication but im good with it"
In response to Reply # 8

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue May-10-22 06:16 PM

11. "What happened to rich people wanting to start schools??!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Now they want to go to space instead??!?!

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue May-10-22 07:25 PM

12. "I try not to pocket watch…"
In response to Reply # 11

but there’s plenty of rich black people to save HBCU’s if they wanted to

mikediggz
10137 posts
Tue May-10-22 08:53 PM

13. "none of our schools should be struggling...the money it would take"
In response to Reply # 12

to help would be a tax write off for some of these folks.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue May-10-22 09:56 PM

14. "right or a good weekend in Vegas"
In response to Reply # 13

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79558 posts
Wed May-11-22 08:26 AM

15. "until there is a way to get a nice ROI on that investment it aint happen..."

I bet the tax write offs would be enough but its not sexy.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed May-11-22 08:38 AM

16. "RE: until there is a way to get a nice ROI on that investment it aint ha..."
In response to Reply # 15

>I bet the tax write offs would be enough but its not sexy.

right as far as I know healthcare and education donations are the only things that are 100% tax free

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Wed May-11-22 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "They could but its on the school too. "

>but there’s plenty of rich black people to save HBCU’s if
>they wanted to

If they give money to save the school this year, then what? If the school isn't being managed well enough to be sustainable, it's money thrown away, and disaster delayed for a year or so. No one wants to see their money wasted.

This happened to my old private school. They had a good community. A whopping angel donation came in to save the school at the eleventh hour and then they closed the following year anyway.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

mikediggz
10137 posts
Wed May-11-22 01:26 PM

18. "me and my ace have built on this topic many times..."
In response to Reply # 17

in order to accept the donation (large donations of like 500k plus lets say) the school would have to accept someone being put in place to oversee the money and how its applied...if thats too much for the school to deal with then no bread. unfortunately our schools are notorious for money mismanagement.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu May-12-22 10:21 PM

20. "OUCH! Sorry to hear that. "
In response to Reply # 17

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Fri May-13-22 09:09 AM

21. "I don't know how they'd get money year after year."
In response to Reply # 11

and this is a very small college.

https://www.nprillinois.org/2022-04-06/its-heartbreaking-lincoln-college-president-talks-about-decision-to-close-the-college-on-may-13

How much money is needed?

It's greater than $20 million. This college has a $53 million annual economic impact in central Illinois. So, the students coming here, the employees working here, living in this community, the contracts, the food — all of that totals $53 million a year of what this community will lose as a result of losing Lincoln College. So, in thinking ahead... if we were to receive a $53 million commitment, I think the school could, would prosper in an incredible way.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13460148 Previous topic | Next topic