Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13458426

Subject: "Men's Birth Control- Would Guys Take It?????" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 10:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Men's Birth Control- Would Guys Take It?????"

Came across this article on WAPO.

Writer says men wouldn't take it. Beyond the shallow stereotypes in the article, i can tell she's never met men paying child support.

I think the pill would be a rousing success. So far in trials with mice, it's 99% effective, with zero side effects, and a resumption of fertility with no problems after stopping the the drug.

I think selling it to pro atheletes and Future alone would make the drug profitable. All the groupies, none of the worry!

Anyways, i think this writer vastly missed the mark but y'all judge for yourselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/21/xx/

Women didn’t exactly rush into the streets to celebrate the news last month that an improved contraceptive pill for men is in the works. We’ve been waiting for men to help solve this problem for decades, so please forgive our skepticism. First, we laughed at the idea of men taking any kind of medication that causes temporary infertility. And then we cried because we remembered that men will never be good at birth control until they can get pregnant.

Certainly, there has never been a better time for people with testes to step up and take some responsibility for contraception. According to a recent U.N. report, half of all pregnancies on our overcrowded planet are unintended. A male contraceptive could, if approved, reduce abortions and child poverty. And in the United States, a pill for men should have more relevance now that access to abortion is being rapidly curtailed in many states.

The new male contraceptive works by targeting a specific protein important for cell growth, including sperm formation. Inhibiting this protein dramatically reduces sperm counts, and reportedly it is 99 percent effective. And while the compound has only been tested on mice, there are no observable side effects so far. Four to six weeks after the mice stopped receiving the compound; they were able to father pups again. Human trials are planned for this fall.

Until that occurs, we have time to tackle a foundational issue or two. Let’s start with the big one: What exactly could entice the average guy to take a daily pill that does something mysterious to his sperm?

This might be the world’s greatest advertising challenge. “Temporary sterility” will never be an easy sell to an audience that is accustomed to being served up all kinds of marketing hustles for trucks, beverages and screen time that play to their masculinity. The only way you’d get guys to take that contraceptive pill, a male friend remarked, is if it also gives them an erection.

The belated emergence of an oral contraceptive for men is further evidence of a pernicious double standard in reproductive health care. Men, as medical researchers put it, have a very “low threshold” for side effects. Earlier versions of the male pill, for example, worked by reducing a man’s testosterone but came with side effects that included reduced libido, weight gain and depression.

People who take female oral contraceptives have been putting up with the same kinds of symptoms for decades, plus an elevated risk of severe health issues, including blood clots and some cancers. As you may recall, the female pill works by mimicking pregnancy in the body, stopping ovulation and/or implantation of an embryo. So, yes, to keep from getting pregnant, women take hormones that make them feel pregnant. Often, for years.

It’s hard to imagine men opting for an equivalent biochemical commitment in exchange for birth control. But let’s say this new non-hormonal pill for guys makes it to market, and men are willing to try it. Can we really expect them to take a pill every day? If he forgets his pill pack on vacation, you’re rolling the dice. Even habitual use of condoms is a challenge for most guys: a 2016 study of 51 males found that men were “less likely" to wear a condom when they judged a potential partner to be attractive or in good health. Until they can suffer the consequences of an unintended pregnancy, men aren’t likely to reliably take responsibility for birth control.

Still, all is not lost. German scientist Rebecca Weiss won the James Dyson Award last fall for inventing an “ultrasound-based, reversible and hormone-free” form of male contraception. Users simply put their testicles into a custom-fitted device filled with heated water before intercourse and ultrasound temporarily stops the sperms’ motility so they can’t fertilize an egg.

That might be even more awkward than some female birth control devices we won’t mention. But surely the folks who design space rockets can give this contraption a super-manly astronaut vibe.

Until then, contraception equality is just a dream — a dream in which men are not the only ones who can turn to a sexual partner at the critical moment and say: “We’re good, right?”

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hell yeah, Nick Cannon needs some too...
Apr 21st 2022
What a terrible article. Depending on the side effects, of course id tak...
Apr 21st 2022
The visual of this is hilarious
Apr 21st 2022
It is hilarious! And I found a picture of it.....
Apr 21st 2022
oh shit I didn't know it was all that I thought it was just a pill to ta...
Apr 21st 2022
desus and mero talked about it
Apr 21st 2022
I'm not in the open market anymore, but not having to be tied
Apr 21st 2022
i would
Apr 21st 2022
Let's wait for the human trials, but I'd consider it. By the way:
Apr 21st 2022
Well vasectomies are reversible as well, so ...
Apr 21st 2022
      Did not even realize that. Sorta easy choice then.
Apr 21st 2022
      10/10 would do it again
Apr 21st 2022
      awkward for sure.
Apr 22nd 2022
      In California, all vasectomies are 100% covered by insurance BUT
Apr 21st 2022
Anyone who wouldn't is a weirdo.
Apr 21st 2022
^
Apr 21st 2022
probably, it I thought it made sense.
Apr 21st 2022
can you imagine laying next to someone who thinks like this
Apr 21st 2022
the article notwitstanding, the problem is getting the right guys to tak...
Apr 21st 2022

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "hell yeah, Nick Cannon needs some too..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcgWTpkPbJ9/

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "What a terrible article. Depending on the side effects, of course id tak..."
In response to Reply # 0

that shit.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 10:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "The visual of this is hilarious"
In response to Reply # 0

"Still, all is not lost. German scientist Rebecca Weiss won the James Dyson Award last fall for inventing an “ultrasound-based, reversible and hormone-free” form of male contraception. Users simply put their testicles into a custom-fitted device filled with heated water before intercourse and ultrasound temporarily stops the sperms’ motility so they can’t fertilize an egg.

That might be even more awkward than some female birth control devices we won’t mention. But surely the folks who design space rockets can give this contraption a super-manly astronaut vibe."

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:03 AM

4. "It is hilarious! And I found a picture of it....."
In response to Reply # 3

.....it looks like a broken mug. Imagine explaining having that on your nightstand to your companion: "oh baby, that's just my ball-dipper"

https://tremendous.blog/2021/09/29/male-contraception-with-an-ultrasound-device/

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:18 AM

8. "oh shit I didn't know it was all that I thought it was just a pill to ta..."
In response to Reply # 4

people that won't put on a condom probably won't do that either lol

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:11 AM

6. "desus and mero talked about it"
In response to Reply # 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHlFoTl_HBM&ab_channel=DESUS%26MEROonSHOWTIME

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I'm not in the open market anymore, but not having to be tied"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-21-22 11:05 AM by Adwhizz

Emotionally/financially To the wrong woman for 18 years or more is a pretty good motivator

Also potentially not having to use condoms

Oh and the whole not wanting to be responsible for a child thing

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:12 AM

7. "i would"
In response to Reply # 0

i definitely would need to consider side effects but as it says if women have been dealing with them im sure we could.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:43 AM

9. "Let's wait for the human trials, but I'd consider it. By the way:"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-21-22 11:43 AM by Backbone

I don't expect women to take the pill. I feel like that's important to mention because I'd definitely be hesitant about using birth control medicine with possible side effects myself.

There's always vasectomies too. A good friend just had one, and aside from a little soreness it was mostly the source of a slew of immature jokes and observations. If you're sure about not having (more) children, it's probably the way to go.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Well vasectomies are reversible as well, so ..."
In response to Reply # 9

>There's always vasectomies too. A good friend just had one,
>and aside from a little soreness it was mostly the source of a
>slew of immature jokes and observations. If you're sure about
>not having (more) children, it's probably the way to go.

... this is def the way to go, cuz you could change your mind.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 03:29 PM

15. "Did not even realize that. Sorta easy choice then."
In response to Reply # 10

Sorta because it did sound awkward as hell, from my friend's description, lol.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 08:00 PM

16. "10/10 would do it again"
In response to Reply # 15

that said

I think it's slightly more annoying and potentially complicated than people think

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

tariqhu
Charter member
17892 posts
Fri Apr-22-22 05:58 AM

19. "awkward for sure. "
In response to Reply # 15

the nurse held my sack and just stared at it. I'm sure it was only a few secs but felt like forever. she was deciding if she needed to shave my balls more.

since I wasn't sleep, the doc and nurse were talking to mye the whole time.

with alladat, it was still less awkward than going to the dentist. lol

best decision ever.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 09:33 PM

18. "In California, all vasectomies are 100% covered by insurance BUT"
In response to Reply # 10

If you decide to reverse it, that procedure is not covered by insurance and you have to pay 100% out of pocket. My doctor said to reverse it cost between $10k—$15k.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 12:01 PM

11. "Anyone who wouldn't is a weirdo. "
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 12:30 PM

13. "^"
In response to Reply # 11

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17892 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 12:07 PM

12. "probably, it I thought it made sense."
In response to Reply # 0

I like to make sure I'm sure. so if there's something to help me with that, I'm in.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 02:28 PM

14. "can you imagine laying next to someone who thinks like this"
In response to Reply # 0

just an absolute chore of a human.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 08:01 PM

17. "the article notwitstanding, the problem is getting the right guys to tak..."
In response to Reply # 0

most teenage pregnancies, for example, are with fathers who are quite a bit older

you think those guys are getting on the pill?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13458426 Previous topic | Next topic