Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13458282

Subject: "CDC mask mandate for travelers no longer in effect..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Apr-18-22 08:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"CDC mask mandate for travelers no longer in effect..."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/politics/cdc-mask-mandate-ruling/index.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
airport snack sales about to take a hit lol
Apr 18th 2022
been wearing them less and less
Apr 18th 2022
35 year old Trump-Appointed Judge Deemed ‘Not Qualified’ by Bar Asso...
Apr 18th 2022
That is WILD. Never tried a case. Lifetime judge.
Apr 19th 2022
Unthinkable 20 years ago that an ABA not approved judge would get
Apr 19th 2022
And Chuck Grassley is already bragging
Apr 19th 2022
there were posts on here about it...absolutely devastating
Apr 19th 2022
Sounds like something a cult would do
Apr 19th 2022
      At some point history will look on this era of echo chambers
Apr 19th 2022
           I been screaming every time people said the election "didn't matter"...
Apr 19th 2022
           Fox News, Hannity, Rush, Tucker and Sarah Palin
Apr 19th 2022
                Clinton
Apr 19th 2022
I was on a Jet Blue flight from LA to NY and they announced in flight
Apr 19th 2022
Thank god for your coworker. What the fuck is wrong with you lol.
Apr 19th 2022
I’m not understanding the joke unless you aren’t a fan of Biden
Apr 19th 2022
it's a dumb joke, and i was trying make him look like an asshole
Apr 19th 2022
i feel like the results would be too depressing lol
Apr 19th 2022
I’m flying tomorrow. I’m still wearing one.
Apr 19th 2022
I'll likely still wear a mask on planes indefinitely...
Apr 19th 2022
RE: I’m flying tomorrow. I’m still wearing one.
Apr 19th 2022
I lived in Japan from 97-2002. They were rocking masks
Apr 19th 2022
yeah Asian folks have been wearing masks
Apr 19th 2022
I’m on planes a couple times a week, vaxxed up
Apr 19th 2022
I'm not weekly at all...but...
Apr 19th 2022
I"m flying Monday...same here. PLUS turning on the air valve
Apr 19th 2022
I don't think I'll ever not wear one on a flight again.
Apr 21st 2022
I got two kids under 5. 🙃
Apr 19th 2022
They actually set a great example.
Apr 21st 2022
The US govt had been functioning off of norms and informal rules/customs
Apr 21st 2022
      Yea it really is crazy is took this long.
Apr 21st 2022

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Mon Apr-18-22 09:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "airport snack sales about to take a hit lol"
In response to Reply # 0

they been taxing the last couple years knowing folks buying snacks just to not have to wear their mask in the airport and on the plane

<--- Big Baller World Order

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Apr-18-22 09:30 PM

2. "been wearing them less and less"
In response to Reply # 0

I still wear them for the most part if i'm going into a crowded store, but if, say, i forgot it, i won't go back to the car.

i wanted to see if it was one of those things where they drop the mandate and cases spike again. things have been relatively the same the last couple months tho

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Mon Apr-18-22 09:45 PM

3. "35 year old Trump-Appointed Judge Deemed ‘Not Qualified’ by Bar Asso..."
In response to Reply # 0

Trump-Appointed Judge Deemed ‘Not Qualified’ by Bar Association Voids Mask Mandate on Planes, Other Travel

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/kathryn-kimball-mizelle-trump-judge-voids-mask-mandate-1339427/

A Trump-appointed Federal judge in Florida has voided a national mask mandate for airplanes and other transportation. “Wearing a mask cleans nothing,” U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle wrote in her decision on Monday. “At most, it traps virus droplets. But it neither ‘sanitizes’ the person wearing the mask nor ‘sanitizes’ the conveyance.”

Mizelle, 35, was only eight years out of law school at University of Florida when Trump appointed her to the lifetime position in 2020. The Daily Beast noted at the time that her only trial experience was as an intern, and that she held four clerkships, including one for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Mizelle was rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Association prior to her appointment, citing her lack of experience.

The transportation mandate case on which Mizelle ruled was filed on behalf of a group known as Health Freedom Defense Fund, as well as airline passengers. Mizelle said that the Centers for Disease Control had exceeded its legal authority, that it had failed to justify its decision and follow comment protocols, and that the mandate was “arbitrary and capricious,” according to The Washington Post. The CDC had announced earlier this month that it extended its mask mandate to May 3.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said it will no longer enforce the mask mandate in light of Mizelle’s decision, according to CNN.

The Biden administration was dismayed by the ruling. “This is obviously a disappointing decision,” Press Secretary Jen Psaki said at a press briefing on Monday. “The CDC continues recommending wearing a mask in public transit.”

Republican leaders on the House and Senate transportation committees pressured the Biden administration earlier this month to end the mandate or decline to extend it. The Senate voted last month to overturn the public health order requiring masks on airplanes and public transit, and, as the Post points out, 21 states, most of which are led by Republicans, sued the government seeking to end the mask mandate. CEOs from airline companies have also urged Biden to lift the mandate.

Fortunately for the mandate’s opponents, the former president was able to appoint a slew of unqualified judges.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 08:36 AM

5. "That is WILD. Never tried a case. Lifetime judge. "
In response to Reply # 3

One of the worst things Trump did, that people dont seem to ever talk about, is appoint all these unqualified or political judges to lifetime positions. A 35 year old with ZERO experience makes judgements for LIFE. "Masks dont sanitize anything." WTF

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 08:56 AM

6. "Unthinkable 20 years ago that an ABA not approved judge would get"
In response to Reply # 5

appointed.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:37 AM

13. "And Chuck Grassley is already bragging"
In response to Reply # 5

about the important work he did with Trump to confirm federal judges that'll protect people's 'indiv liberty'

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/1516138581840085003?s=20&t=BwftsjsvwrIyW1-cxVfD3A

I hope Chuck Grassley catches covid on a plane and dies.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 02:17 PM

22. "there were posts on here about it...absolutely devastating"
In response to Reply # 5

this is going to get worse and worse

voting matters.

personnel is policy.

to me, this is the #1 REASON to vote liberals & progressives into national office

d

I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, and we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, is wasting our time on this Earth - C. Adichie

Doomdata21
Member since Jul 21st 2002
1258 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 09:02 AM

7. "Sounds like something a cult would do"
In response to Reply # 3

Pretty sure a cult has seized control of at least a portion of our government...

**Sig**
-Blackthought is the dopest emcee alive
-Uncle Sam and Santa Clause are good buddies.
-Be selfless and the world will be a better place.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 09:21 AM

9. "At some point history will look on this era of echo chambers "
In response to Reply # 7

as essentially being cult groups. The similarities are so strong. Complete dismissal of any facts from outside of the group, disassociation with family/friends who aren't in the group, completely ignoring any contradictions/inconsistent messaging, etc.

On top of that, January 6, 2021 made it irrefutable.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:41 AM

14. "I been screaming every time people said the election "didn't matter"..."
In response to Reply # 9

these federal judges are appointed for LIFE and they're decisions will affect generations long after all these presidential candidates are dead

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:55 AM

16. "Fox News, Hannity, Rush, Tucker and Sarah Palin"
In response to Reply # 9

real talk..

Sarah Palin and Obama are the biggest reasons we are where we are..

She was an idiot and somehow viewed as the best chance to help McCain beat Obama.

and of course, Obama being brown and smart as hell really made these white folks mad. So
mad they elected a fucking clown simply because he went hard at Obama’s birth certificate.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Sofian_Hadi
5628 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 12:20 PM

19. "Clinton"
In response to Reply # 16

Literally any other Democratic Nominee would have easily beat Trump in 2016. The one person who was hated and fake enough to possibly lose to the worst candidate in American History was Hillary Clinton. Her fault. And Dems fault for promising her the ticket for 2016 if she dropped out when she was losing to Obama.

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 01:13 AM

4. "I was on a Jet Blue flight from LA to NY and they announced in flight"
In response to Reply # 0

I jokingly tried to get my co-worker to start a Let's Go Brandon chant. He wasn't down.

It was weird, though. Just halfway through the flight, literally 5 minutes after scolding the seat in front of me they pilot announced and said everyone could drop the mask if they want. I was surrounded by Coachella kids, so i kept it on just in case.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Thank god for your coworker. What the fuck is wrong with you lol."
In response to Reply # 4

>I jokingly tried to get my co-worker to start a Let's Go
>Brandon chant. He wasn't down.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 10:15 AM

10. "I’m not understanding the joke unless you aren’t a fan of Biden"
In response to Reply # 4

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:11 PM

26. "it's a dumb joke, and i was trying make him look like an asshole"
In response to Reply # 10

just to see how many other assholes were on the flight. Mostly just to make my coworker look like an asshole. He doesn't lean that direction, though. It wasn't a serious attempt to get a chant started at all.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:12 AM

11. "i feel like the results would be too depressing lol"
In response to Reply # 4

like, half the plane going along with it (even on an la/ny flight) and the pilots coming out to clap along, etc...

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:19 AM

12. "I’m flying tomorrow. I’m still wearing one. "
In response to Reply # 0

I dunno. Doesn’t feel right yet to me. Plus I’ve liked not catching anything on a plane for the last year so…doesn’t bother me.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 11:47 AM

15. "I'll likely still wear a mask on planes indefinitely..."
In response to Reply # 12

Even pre-pandemic, the stale air on flights never felt right to me.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 12:04 PM

17. "RE: I’m flying tomorrow. I’m still wearing one. "

>I dunno. Doesn’t feel right yet to me. Plus I’ve liked
>not catching anything on a plane for the last year
>so…doesn’t bother me.

Yeah, I'm kinda like you..I don't think we're ready to drop masks at the airport yet. We flew 'a lot' last year once we got vaxxed. We're flying again soon so we shall see.

Something I noticed: you will find out REALLY QUICKLY if you have a mask that is only good enough to go into the grocery sto but NOT good enough to wear for 5 hours straight.

In daily life? We've pretty much dropped it anywhere that's not required. And in Texas, there's not many places where it is required.

If/when the COVID number tick back up, I wonder how CDC and local folks will act. It seems like COVID fatigue is so high that it will take a LOT to get strong restrictions back in place.

Sofian_Hadi
5628 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 12:06 PM

18. "I lived in Japan from 97-2002. They were rocking masks "

I was a teenager. Watched the Japanese wear masks during cold and flu season or just plane/subway travel in general. That put me on to wearing a mask for travel and compacted spaces, avoiding the flu and other airborne viruses. The only positive with the Covid Pandemic was mask wearing going mainstream in the West. If i travel, i'll still wear mine. Covid or no. Too many points of contact.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 05:08 PM

25. "yeah Asian folks have been wearing masks"
In response to Reply # 18

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 12:20 PM

20. "I’m on planes a couple times a week, vaxxed up"

And I’m flat out over the mask thing however I respect that many folks may not be and I feel some level of sympathy for y’all. So I still expect to see a decent amount of folks wearing masks but I’ve been off it for a while.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 04:30 PM

24. "I'm not weekly at all...but..."
In response to Reply # 20

I've been flying a decent amount since June 2021 for work. I do hate the masks on the plane (more so in the airport if I'm being honest) but I've really enjoyed not feeling dried out or kinda sick after flights.

Even when it came to eating and drinking - I was iffy on it just cause it feels off to me. I understand and agree we can't do this shit forever and some people are going to be addicted to being in a pandemic...but something just doesn't quite sit well with me on this. I still wear masks in the supermarket too, but...yeah. This is something.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 02:18 PM

23. "I"m flying Monday...same here. PLUS turning on the air valve"

I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, and we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, is wasting our time on this Earth - C. Adichie

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 12:03 PM

29. "I don't think I'll ever not wear one on a flight again."

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Apr-19-22 01:36 PM

21. "I got two kids under 5. 🙃"
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 08:29 AM

27. "They actually set a great example."
In response to Reply # 0

Screw qualifications and experience.

Cultivate an asset, push them into power, and legislate from that area. It's genius if you take time to think about it. A political party can lose every future election and still win ultimately having final say.

This upcoming era will be crazy and hypocrites will cry foul but remember precedent is set.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 09:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "The US govt had been functioning off of norms and informal rules/customs"
In response to Reply # 27

I'm surprised it has taken this long for groups to ignore all that

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-21-22 12:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "Yea it really is crazy is took this long."
In response to Reply # 28
Thu Apr-21-22 12:31 PM by Brew

I think that's been underplayed in terms of the last 7 years or whatever.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby General Discussion topic #13458282 Previous topic | Next topic