Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13458099

Subject: "Don't be the next contestant on that summer jam screen" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Apr-13-22 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Don't be the next contestant on that summer jam screen"

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/jay-z-summer-jam-2001-michael-jackson.html

During the 2001 Summer Jam JAY-Z set, the rapper surprised fans with a guest appearance from Michael Jackson and premiered his Nas and Mobb Deep diss “Takeover.”

Wow this is cool. A Social Media archivist named Yepac revealed JAY-Z’s full Summer Jam 2001 set via his YouTube channel Hip Hop VCR. That was the performance where the rapper premiered his Mobb Deep and Nas diss “Takeover.” He also brought out Michael Jackson. The set has been the subject of various stories and is considered the holy grail in hip-hop archives.

As he rapped the first verse to the iconic diss ‘Takeover,” the audience gasped audibly at Hov’s direct attack on Nas and Mobb Deep. He then turned and pointed to the Summer Jam screen and showcased a childhood photo of Prodigy as a child dancer, the crowd erupted with amusement, sending the whole Roc-A-Fella crew on stage. Aside from this now legendary moment, much of what made the set exciting were the guests he included, from label mates Beanie Sigel and Memphis Bleak to Missy Elliott.

Jay topped off the night with a surprise appearance from the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Briefly coming on stage to take pictures with Jay, Dame Dash, and other members of the Roc-A-Fella team, he blew kisses to the crowd and thanked them before departing.

In the years since this iconic performance, many apart of the hip-hop archival and media community have tried to find footage related to this now legendary night. Though no one is quite sure yet about where the footage has been, who had it, and how it was retrieved, what is important is that now we have documented live clips of a night that changed rap forever.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The thing that immediately jumps out to me is how much rap made me think...
Apr 13th 2022
Hov is eons better now but otherwise most live rap still blows
Apr 13th 2022
I disagree. Ive been to only like three bad rap shows in decades
Apr 14th 2022
      Mos is entirely dependent upon his mood that day.
Apr 14th 2022
It's definitely better now.
Apr 14th 2022
      Yep - there's a huge range. Both from the artist's perspective and
Apr 14th 2022
Whats the time stamp for the tutu
Apr 13th 2022
8:40~
Apr 13th 2022

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Apr-13-22 12:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The thing that immediately jumps out to me is how much rap made me think..."
In response to Reply # 0

The thing that immediately jumps out to me is how much rap made me think concerts sucked … that era of shitty sound systems, bad audio, and crew love gathered on stage was just trash

------

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Wed Apr-13-22 10:14 PM

2. "Hov is eons better now but otherwise most live rap still blows"
In response to Reply # 1

They don’t even use the instrumentals anymore. Like, Drake is huge and he’s dreadful live.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 06:26 AM

5. "I disagree. Ive been to only like three bad rap shows in decades"
In response to Reply # 2

From Ice Cube knocking the doors off Warehouse Live in Houston
To Kanye Glow in the Dark
To any and all Roots shows including their picnics
To Kendrick to Pimp a butterfly
The production and technology has just been better
Ive seen Shad rock a coffee shop
Seen Blu rock a dive bar
And while they weren’t studio crisp it was a vibe

The worst rap show I saw was Mos Def at House of Blues and it was bad because he just crouched behind the mic, man might’ve moved all of five feet his whole set. This was like 2010.

Now I’ve seen some of these energy shows online. Which is a young enough rapper, in a small enough venue and the sense is that these shows are one of those “its not the sound its being there” but thats what all rap shows used to be

------

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 02:27 PM

7. "Mos is entirely dependent upon his mood that day."
In response to Reply # 5

I've seen him absolutely DESTROY, and I've seen what you noted. It's a shame, honestly. That wide a gap makes it hard to buy a ticket.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 01:00 PM

6. "It's definitely better now."
In response to Reply # 1

But still pretty bad overall. There are some excellent live acts in hip hop - The Roots, Outkast, Kanye, etc. but I cringe at most acts. It's actually insane that people STILL rap over vocal tracks.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 02:29 PM

8. "Yep - there's a huge range. Both from the artist's perspective and "
In response to Reply # 6

also from a sound engineering/production perspective. The good live artists have an understanding of the differences in approach needed for running sound, and don't just rely on the engineers/techs at the venues to handle production. The wack live MCs (in terms of stage presence, breath control, etc.) are also the type to book shows at venues that don't have the best setup for live hip-hop and/or rely on the venue techs to run sound instead of hiring the best people for the specific genre.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Wed Apr-13-22 10:17 PM

3. "Whats the time stamp for the tutu"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Apr-13-22 11:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "8:40~"
In response to Reply # 3

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13458099 Previous topic | Next topic