Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13456989

Subject: "Do you know any Paycheck Protection Program scammers?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Mar-30-22 12:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you know any Paycheck Protection Program scammers?"

An estimated $80 billion was fraudulently sent out. Based on the article, it seems like an easy fraud to pull of. Barely any verification at all was needed to get money.

I wonder how many people will end up being prosecuted?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/biggest-fraud-generation-looting-covid-relief-program-known-ppp-n1279664

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Tangentially.
Mar 30th 2022
I have suspected that my SIL scammed the program for funds
Mar 30th 2022
I'm not doing your investigation for you Mr. Fed.
Mar 30th 2022
lulz
Jun 27th 2023
Nope, but a friend actually got legit COVID relief
Mar 30th 2022
New estimate: At least $200 billion of aid was fraud (17% of total aid)
Jun 27th 2023
I think everyone to some extent
Jun 27th 2023
sure do.. lemme post their govt name and address
Jun 29th 2023

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Wed Mar-30-22 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Tangentially."
In response to Reply # 0

It seems like one of those historical things where “some” people are sentenced more harshly than some others that did the same thing.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Wed Mar-30-22 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I have suspected that my SIL scammed the program for funds"
In response to Reply # 0

She is shady as fuck and has always had money troubles until Covid all these Covid relief programs came out.

I am certain she abused the rent relief program and unemployment benefits.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Wed Mar-30-22 01:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I'm not doing your investigation for you Mr. Fed."
In response to Reply # 0

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Jun-27-23 09:59 PM

7. "lulz"
In response to Reply # 3

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Mar-30-22 02:10 PM

4. "Nope, but a friend actually got legit COVID relief"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-30-22 02:10 PM by handle

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/sdhcd/community-development/COVID-19-Emergency-Rental-Assistance-Program.html

COVID-19 Emergency Rent and Utilities Assistance Program

They paid like $4,000 in back rent that he lost because a roommate moved out after he lost his job due to COVID layoffs and couldn't get a replacement roommate.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jun-27-23 03:00 PM

5. "New estimate: At least $200 billion of aid was fraud (17% of total aid)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/27/1184555444/200-billion-pandemic-business-loans-fraudulent

Of the $1.2 trillion in federal aid disbursed on an emergency basis to small businesses during the pandemic, at least $200 billion — or 17% — may have gone to scammers.

That's the latest, most complete assessment so far by the Office of Inspector General of the Small Business Administration, which oversaw the disbursement of the aid.

The report, called "COVID-19 Pandemic EIDL and PPP Loan Fraud Landscape," details how the rush to make the money available made it easier for fraudsters to apply for loans to keep non-existent businesses afloat, and then have those loans forgiven and covered by tax dollars.

"The agency weakened or removed the controls necessary to prevent fraudsters from easily gaining access to these programs and provide assurance that only eligible entities received funds," the report says. "However, the allure of 'easy money' in this pay and chase environment attracted an overwhelming number of fraudsters to the programs."

The OIG says the $200 billion estimate is the result, in part, of "advanced data analytics" of SBA data on the pandemic cash disbursements

At the time, government officials said the potential economic emergency posed by the pandemic shutdowns of 2020 necessitated a quick loans — despite the likelihood of fraud.

"There is something to that argument, especially when it's applied to the very early weeks of the program," says Sam Kruger, an assistant professor of finance at the University of Texas who has studied pandemic fraud. But he says the data analysis behind this new report shows the government did have the ability to tighten up the system.

"Some of the analysis that the SBA has done on the back end here, you could conceive of this being done in real time," Kruger says.

In its response to the OIG's report, the leaders of the SBA estimate that 86% of the potential fraud happened during the first nine months of the program, and they point to the anti-fraud measures they implemented in early 2021.

The report says the SBA and federal investigators are clawing back some of the stolen money. It points to "1,011 indictments, 803 arrests, and 529 convictions related to COVID-19 EIDL and PPP fraud as of May 2023." All told, the report says "nearly $30 billion" in aid has been seized or returned to the government.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Tue Jun-27-23 05:57 PM

6. "I think everyone to some extent"
In response to Reply # 0

Like it required forcasting from folks who don't forecast and no verification.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 10:38 AM

8. "sure do.. lemme post their govt name and address"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13456989 Previous topic | Next topic